Restoration Hardware "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated Jan 5, 2020

2.8
Restoration Hardware Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gary Friedman (no image)
Gary Friedman
  1. "Planning Coordinator"

Former Employee - Planning Coordinator in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, and positive work environment.

Cons

Limited movement out of departments. Once you are in one department i.e. planning it is difficult to move to the creative services department.

Advice to Management

Look further than immediate department when promoting from within.

Restoration Hardware2014-09-30
  2. "Great Coworkwers"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

No growth opportunities within the company!

Restoration Hardware2014-08-01

"Love/hate Relationship"

Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, fun work environment, inspiring products with a huge product line. I met some great people that have become good friends.

Cons

Low pay and the only benefit is high health insurance. Ever since I started all I hear are the career opportunities. I'm always told exactly what I want to hear, but nothing ever happens. They claim to live and breath core values, but it's all talk.

Advice to Management

Stop dangling a carrot. Show your employees you care and want them to stay.

Restoration Hardware2014-08-02

"Great culture!"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Values based culture, innovative & dynamic company who isn't afraid to take risks, casual atmosphere, great people, and beautiful office spaces with RH furniture & accessories.

Cons

This is a really dynamic environment that isn't for everyone, but the right people will find it to be an amazing company to work for. It's very fast paced and because we are so innovative, things change quickly. You need to be flexible and adaptive as it's not the most structured company. The lack of structure is what allows us to move so fast and integrate new ideas easily.

Advice to Management

More all - associate meetings, business updates. More company events.

Restoration Hardware2014-06-30

"A reputable company that treats their employees as if they are easily replaceable."

Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

-My Peers. I have met some of my best friends while working with RH. In fact, it is the only reason that many of us stay with the company. Great people work here. -Scheduled raises. A "step-up" program makes for set-raises for the first year of employment, and continued raises based on the quality of your work take place each year thereafter. -Health Benefits. RH contributes far more than many other companies, leaving our portion affordable. There are also 3 benefit plans to choose from.

Cons

Unfortunately, the negative far outweigh the positive. If it wasn't for my peers, I would definitely be working somewhere else, along with many of fellow co-workers. -Management. Many of them do not understand the basic job, and look to their team for help. Then they continue to micro-manage as their main daily activity. In addition, policies change so often that can be difficult to keep track of. -Cleanliness. Our buildings have had major bug infestation problems. We get bug bites often, and cockroaches are visibly seen daily in our office and lunch room. Half the building stays sick at all times. -Work-life balance. 5-8 times per year the company require overtime for 2 weeks. This is about 16 weeks of the year, and it always occurs during major holidays, such as Christmas. Although many employees want the overtime, they require every single employee to partake. Vacation time is accrued at a very slow pace, and you cannot request time off unless you have the vacation hours already accrued. You are allotted 5 minutes per day to use the restroom. Use it any longer, and you are written up.

Advice to Management

Focus on learning the job yourself and helping your teams provide exceptional service to our customers, and worry less about micro-managing the small things (I.E- bathroom breaks).

Restoration Hardware2014-05-01
  6. "Great Retail Environment"

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Pay and company values. Great people to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

Heavy lifting at times. Long hours at holidays

Restoration Hardware2014-03-30

"Restoration Hardware"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

The area the store is located in is really nice. The store hours are a lot better than mall hours. There are some great people on the team. I love, love, love the design world and this is part of it.

Cons

Core Value meetings in the morning are 20-30 minutes long and very unproductive. Answers are subjective and associates answers get publicly praised or reprimanded depending on the leader's mood. Hours are cut based on the needs of the business but also as retaliation. Scheduling is not done based on position. Full time hours may be cut, well liked part time employees might get full time hours. Not a good environment to express a differing opinion. At this location, the new gallery leader is very emotional and will often belittle associates in front of others. I was very excited to come to work here but it turned out to be a very negative environment. Other employees told me it used to be great. It was hard to watch how some of the sales people were treated by the store manager, also called a gallery leader. I'm glad I was in a position where I only needed a part time job for extra money. There are several unhappy people there who just can't quit.

Advice to Management

Be kind, live the values you are talking about over and over. Don't rule with fear.

Restoration Hardware2014-03-24

"Stock Assocciate"

Current Employee - Stocker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

None really that I could think of

Restoration Hardware2013-10-29
  9. "Completely different than any other retail job."

Former Employee - Assistant Leader in White Plains, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people with great culture in most stores. If the location you are part of is run by true and proper leaders you will never look for another job.

Cons

The new company direction is very new and has not achieved a strong structured environment. The back order dates on furniture and quality issues (broken furniture being delivered) need to be remedied.

Advice to Management

Don't let egos get out of control

Restoration Hardware2013-08-23

"Egomaniacal executive team sets a very negative culture"

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work there (the ones who do all the work, really) are great people.

Cons

The (former) CEO Gary Friedman set up a culture of ego that has trickled down throughout all departments.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Gary once and for all.

Restoration Hardware2013-06-20