Restoration Hardware "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Restoration Hardware Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

2.7
Restoration Hardware Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gary Friedman (no image)
Gary Friedman
Pros
  • "Great training program and great people to work with(in 46 reviews)

• "Gallery managers are easy to work with for the most part(in 35 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Dynamic position with great opportunities and flexibility"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working here. The people are wonderful. Outstanding culture, values, and beliefs that associates truly live by. I've received multiple opportunities to expand my role and take on more responsibilities. My leaders support me learning and developing myself. The work space is beautiful and features RH furniture.

Cons

Very fast paced and find out about things very last minute. This obviously works for some and not others. Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better.

Restoration Hardware2014-07-09

"Good Pay, experience. Don't really care for their employees well being"

Current Employee - Assistant Gallery Leader

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Learned a ton working for this company.

Cons

Won't hire the staff needed. Due to the lack of employees leaders are worked to the core. No work/life balance. Meetings are constant 7am-9am 9am-10am 12-1pm. Just

Advice to Management

The accrued PTO and Sick TIme off needs to change. For people who can not afford to take time off for being sick come into the company and end up getting others sick due to not having enough sick time off.

Restoration Hardware2019-09-17

"Not your average retailer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling, beautiful building, generous discount.

Cons

VERY unorganized, many open promises, no work-life balance, very cult-like values, poor leadership, no guidance on upward mobility, very toxic and catty behavior from both leaders and their subordinates.

Advice to Management

There is only a few leaders who are pleasant and have the internal clients experience as a priority. There should be more structure and guidance to avoid the high turn around.

Restoration Hardware2019-08-16

"Terrible Company with No Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people are nice, and the pay is above average for most companies in the area.

Cons

There is literally no work/life balance. They get upset with you if you don't answer work emails or calls during non-work hours. Upper management regularly scolds staff because of business decision failures that they made and are not staff's fault. They are also unreceptive to change and do not like to be told when something is going wrong. Additionally, for a very large company, do not offer any 401K match. CEO... Gary Friedman is also completely unstable, throws constant child-like temper tantrums, and is incredibly uncomfortable to be around.

Advice to Management

Stop yelling at your employees and learn to communicate better. If an employee tells you that there is a process problem, it's a good idea to listen to them and see if there is a solution that can be provided. It's also a good idea to understand the process of someone's job or a departments function and not just assume that everything gets magically done with the wave of a magic wand. Leave people alone when they... are off the clock and give them a work/life balance. Just because someone doesn't answer an email at 3am on a Saturday doesn't mean they aren't dedicated to the company, it means they're sleeping. Also, 5 years at only 2 weeks vacation before a bump is ridiculous.

Restoration Hardware2019-03-13

"Career Death for a Creative"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

50% off RH Discount Relatively higher base pay than the market - it's the only way they can compete for talent

Cons

The most extreme example of micromanagement to start. The entire company deals with this, so it should be no surprise that the Creative Team is at the whim of last minute changes based on whim rather than strategy. Know that you will not grow in any relevant creative skill. The skill you can hone while at this company is managing up to difficult personalities. Creative middle management is egocentric and power... hungry, believing in heirarchy and rank using intimidation, humiliation, bullying and scare tactics to 'motivate' the team. They prefer workers with no opinion or input. They believe in running a tight ship and kicking soldiers back in line rather than facilitating any creative activity. Most of the creative employees (photo, retouching, styling, print & digital design) know and accept this and make a point of making it work for them with different work arrangements. Es: Working on their own terms to allow this 9-5 to fund their outside and real creative endeavors rather than invest any emotional energy into the company. At the granular level, the company is really behind on adapting to new technologies, the latest online tools, project management tools and team structure methodologies, etc. This company is forced to grow it's longest standing employees to creative management because they can't manage to attract or hang on to any real talent from the talent pool due to the reputation. This leaves them with underqualified candidates in these types of positions. Sit back and watch the ego show as they battle it out to in an attempt to make impact on decisions that only get wiped out by the executive level who really pulls the strings at the end of the day. Expect to work through lunch more often than not. Lunches are sometimes catered during high-intensity times so that you continue to work at your desk without leaving because last-minute decisions are being made constantly and past deadline. Benefits are passable. Although if you're planning on getting pregnant, know that they don't provide any pregnancy leave pay at all. Zero. They completely rely on you to make a claim with the government for pregnancy disability leave. Know that this money isn't paid during your leave months, but rather 6 months to a year later depending on how long it takes to process all of your paperwork for the claims. There is no work life balance. Everyone throughout the company works extensive hours and there is absolutely no encouragement to take any breaks. Groups don't go on any group outings, there are no team lunches, no department celebrations outside of a cake in a meeting room. You would be lucky if anyone acknowledges your birthday or any major life event on behalf of the company. If that happens it's on the dime of the employees who gathered around their team member. Middle management doesn't usually participate in these. This is a good place to make some money and leave without any long-term commitment.

Advice to Management

It starts at the top, so there is no fixing it. However, if by some miracle....this company's creative leadership is in dire need of management training. Bringing in outside experts in this area and actually humbling themselves to listen to the tactics of modern-day companies to put people at the center of their operation, understanding the high return on investment in this method.

Restoration Hardware2018-10-02

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Gallery Designer in Durham, NC

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your gallery team is lovely - but corporate does not know how to truly service their employees

Cons

Work life balance, youre basically signing your life away

Restoration Hardware2018-03-01

"Do not walk, RUN away"

Current Employee - Merchant in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is nothing positive I can say about this company.

Cons

Everything. No 401K match, bad work environment, no work life balance, very unorganized and chaotic, bad product, miserable people.

Advice to Management

Nothing I say can help the chaos and nightmare of RH

Restoration Hardware2017-08-25

"Not worth the trouble"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great deals at employee sample sales - Beautiful Campus

Cons

Almost too many to many to list, but just know that other reviews on here are spot on. 1.) EXTREMELY toxic work environment. This became apparent shortly after starting with the Contract team, when a department all-hands meeting turned into two hours of every single one of my co-workers in crying. Only a few weeks after starting, a coworker advised that I start files on everyone I worked with and save screenshots... of any errors they made. You know, for when I needed to throw someone under the bus, or to have something to throw back if someone tried to throw me under the bus. There were so many red flags right away, but with talks of improvements I chose to give it a chance. My biggest regret is not leaving right away, and over a year after leaving it doesn't sound like many positive changes have been made. I never thought I would regularly see people cry/have breakdowns AT work. I could go on and on about how toxic this place is (as so many others have) but the bottom line is this job is absolutely not worth any of the trouble. 2.) Zero work life balance. Goes along with the first con, but working here means being tied to your email and phone at all hours of the day, and trust me if you try to have balance or have some time to yourself you'll be reprimanded for it. 3.) Terrible Benefits/No commuter benefits. Most employees have to commute over the bridge every day, but RH doesn't offer any sort of employee shuttle or commuter benefits to help cover the cost of the Golden Gate Bridge. Other retail companies in the city will provide a shuttle service, pay for Bart/Muni/Caltrain expense, or cost of Uber/Lyft. With salaries that are already on the low end of the SF pay scale, the only thing worse than going to a place you hate everyday is paying out of pocket to get there. RH doesn't match 401K contributions either, while other retail companies I've received offers from have all matched. 4.) CEO. With someone so unstable in charge, how can anything really improve?

Restoration Hardware2017-03-08

"Email Advocate"

Former Employee - Email Advocate in West Jefferson, OH

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance was decent. Some of the team leaders were excellent, but those never stayed too long.

Cons

- ABSOLUTELY NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE - if you were unwilling to sacrifice every hour to the business (such as the unrealistic ideas of overtime during promotions..of which there was always one a month) then you were treated like trash. I watched a poor woman with a 3 year old that had been admitted to the hospital with a bad staph infection being told she would be fired if she left to be with her child because she was... still in her "trial" period. That should have been the very first red flag to the rest of us that our time was considered worthless to the management. -Constant judging of work performance. - weekly reviews were done of emails/phone calls. every little detail missed was a 'talking point'. In email especially grammar corrections were always inconsistent. You never knew if one week you'd be graded for one thing and the next week you would not. Templates were outdated - in email numbers mattered and without templates it was impossible to meet numbers, However, any attempts to have the templates updated to reflect current grading policies took MONTHS of "discussions" and nothing ever really changed. Management has a bully attitude. Was guilt-tripped many times about only doing bare minimum of overtime (30 extra hours on top of 40). God-forbid you question any decision made by management, as they would separate you and tag-team try to bully you into seeing their way on an issue, even if it wasn't right by the customer. Unrealistic timeframes given to customers on a regular basis. "Custom" items were NEVER on time. Sometimes 6 to 7 months past the due dates...and yes a few that went over the year mark. You, as a "customer service representative" were told to continually tell the customer it was due to 'material delays' when really it was the vendors not being able to keep up with demand and no help given to them to keep up. As a result many items would be late and then show up with defects or damaged by the transport companies and then the customer would have to do the process again. No 401k match. I work part time for a company now that gives part time employees MATCHING 401k options. Get with the times! Act like you value the sacrifices you require from your employees

Advice to Management

Stop listening to Gary's every changing whim. Each time he does you throw your employees, vendors, and suppliers into chaos. Which creates long delays. Treat your employees better! You expected us all to grin and bare the constantly changing atmosphere, grading policies, and issues with the product like they were normal. Now working for a company that LIVES by the values you preached, I can see the difference. If... you just tried to live the values of respect, people, etc. that you claim are at your core, maybe turnover rate and burnout would not be so prevalent in your ranks.

Restoration Hardware2017-02-08

"Design Consultant"

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful showrooms, and the People value really shines because the group of people working there is amazing

Cons

-Can't decide if they are a showroom or a design firm -Much of the product is poor quality -No consistency in scheduling, terrible work/life balance -Hour long meetings every day, wasting employee time and payroll dollars -During financial hardship in the company they "temporarily" laid off almost a third of the store staff, leaving us in the cold without warning before the holidays, without any indication of... weather we would have jobs again. The situation was terribly managed by all involved and they could have been much more transparent that we were in a dire financial situation beforehand.

Advice to Management

Decide weather you want to be a design firm or a furniture store and stick to it! Then hire employees for the company, don't put designers in sales positions. Also stop spending so much time in values meetings talking about the values, talk about real issues in the company or interesting/upcoming product information that can help sales or CS interactions with customers.

Restoration Hardware2017-01-06