Retail Business Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
JImmy Ralph

Pros
  • I had a great team leader to start it was a family feel and great training even after your main training (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Conference calls for poor performers (in 5 reviews)

• They terminate everyone from sales reps to sales managers to District Managers / V (in 3 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time

Pros

Good training, base pay, and commission.

Cons

Some supervisors/regional sales managers didn't adhere to ethical practices at all times.

2. "Part time, easy money, but strict sales goals"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Retail Business Development part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy money if you are a good salesperson.

Cons

Mandatory UNPAID conference calls even when you're not working

Advice to Management

Learn the labor laws when it comes to making conference calls mandatory when not working and undpaid before someone sues you.

3. "Embarrassingly disorganized"

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were travel opportunities, the schedule was relatively flexible and the companies we worked on were relevant and unique.

Cons

This company is completely disorganized. There wasn't any room for advancement. The people in charge weren't effective leaders and most of the staff was knowingly miserable.

Advice to Management

I believe having set job roles works best in this environment . This company was very disorganized so that can be helpful as well. Lastly, better allocation of funds.

5. "Wireless Consultant"

Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Wireless Consultant in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can succeed if you are tenacious.

Cons

There isn't any place for a career advancement.

Advice to Management

Restructure

6. "Company No Longer Active"

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Retail Business Development part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was great environment with great training, great flexibility, and was easy to move up in positions when you're hard working.

Cons

Some events weren't sure-things and this made it impossible to reach the day or week's sales goals.

7. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Maker in Comstock Park, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Maker in Comstock Park, MI

I have been working at Retail Business Development (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great team leader to start it was a family feel and great training even after your main training. Good hours and pay.

Cons

They downsized teams so now one leader has over 50 people on one team and there is little communication and you feel like a number and if you do not make sales you can be fired.

Advice to Management

More opportunities to move up more communication and direction and some benefits like health care, 401k, and vacation and sick time. Right now if you are late or absent three times you are fired and don't say how long before they fall off

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Arlington, VA

Pros

may have a good time if you find good team leads

Cons

do not pay on time, takes centuries for them to fix a mistake in the pay (which is very often)

Advice to Management

relaunch yourself. fire single employee from top to bottom and relaunch.

9. "Pushy and Unethical"

I worked at Retail Business Development part-time

Pros

-I liked my boss and he was professional.
    -Can pretty much work as many hours as you want, they will fit your schedule
     -Nothing stopping you from being a lazy employee
    -I'm sure if you actually are the kind of person capable of excelling at this you'll get promoted, and the pay is amazing compared to retail if you actually sell phones
    -It's actually pretty funny that even with these sorts of upsides I can still be so overwhelmed by the negatives that I give the company one star

Cons

-No Direct Deposit , meanwhile they push themselves as a high-tech company
    -Pushing to customers. I was working selling Vonage phone plans in Walmart, pretty much forced to bother and inconvenience people. This is the sort of pushy sales job that you hear about but don't even believe is real until you experience it. You flat out are never supposed to ask customers a question that can be answered with "no" because you know they don't want you bothering them and don't want to give them a way out. Gross psychological tricks like sticking the phone box into the customer's hands so they'll see the product as theirs. Also trying to prevent customers from actually taking the time to think about decisions, supposed to try to prevent them from leaving the store and do independent research. If they say something along the lines of needing to ask a spouse framing the purchase as a gift. I wouldn't mind framing things as a gift if the product makes sense but the appeal of Vonage is cheaper international calling so I find it troubling to tell people not to talk financial decisions over with their spouse.
    -Training is incredibly unrealistic. All the complaints they said customers make were never what they actually made because
    -The product is wrong for this business model, vonage sucks for everything besides very specific cases. They are only cost efficient for international calling and cost more than other services if you do that, they do have their advantages over those competitors don't get me wrong but it is a very niche product; part of why the associates are so pushy is because the product doesn't have enough utility to justify paying $9 an hour for people to sell it +commission unless they're making sales to people who actually should buy it .Most complaints are legitimate and the company can only prepare you to rebut bad ones. If you're not calling internationally and have home phone there's no reason to get Vonage. You are supposed to push vonage like its something everyone should have but it is obviously not.
    -Racial Profiling is a must. As the only people who actually save any money off of vonage are those calling internationally to specific countries you are only really going to get sales out of certain demographics of people. This would be fine but there are only so many that go to one store and it's very easy for someone to get pulled into this multiple times, so you're basically harassing racial minorities. Targeted sales is fine but when you're bothering people who are already your customers who you've already spoken to multiple times is just annoying.
    -Incredibly pushy company, demand selfies in a transparent attempt to prove that you're in the store. Force you into group chats on your cell phone where they pretty much spam. Enjoy hearing a ring at 9AM because a manager is asking someone else for a selfie or is putting out some stupid corny over-positive platitude
    -Incredibly shady tactics. You flat out lie about the price customers actually pay, you sell the vonage plan as $20 a month even though taxes make the actual bill $30, further preventing the customer from making an informed choice as they only learn the real price of what they agreed to buy when they're already in the payment process. You're also supposed to sell the product with features every major competitor already has because they don't push things like e911 (which just makes it so if you call 911 they know where you live). I consider it very unethical if a salesperson makes someone buy Vonage instead of say Magicjack, a much cheaper product, for safety reasons if magicjack offers the same feature.
    -My coworkers were awful at their job. Breaking their GPS so they can leave early without clocking out and not doing their job. SalesMakers/RBD employees in Walmart are supposed to act as if they are Walmart employees (so Walmart doesn't kick them out). Coworkers would constantly make it a problem for me whenever I actually did my job and helped a customer with something that isn't part of making a sale or tried to report something like a broken lightbulb to store management. Incredibly unprofessional
    -convincing people who already have Vonage to cancel their subscription so that you can sign them up so you get commission and they get a promo. I feel like it is very unproductive
    -Customers start to hate you and for good reason. The amount of pushing combined with the fact that some customers were burnt by your coworkers means there is a very good number of people who will despise you.
    -The checkout process is really long, you need to wait forever for a coupon code so you can "buy" the item from walmart with a manager's approval (all for the purpose of removing the phone box from inventory). Even customers happy with the service get at least a little annoyed at this stage. I think I once sat with a customer for 40 minutes after the purchase was already made while another associate was undergoing the ordeal of actually buying the phone.

Advice to Management

You apparently have a lot of offices and are very successful so I don't see why you can't find another service to sell or a better way to sell it. I don't know what it could possibly be and my concerns may be too core for the business to change. There were other sales guys in the same walmart selling optimum and verizon and they seemed much happier with their job because they actually had a viable product that you could argue is for pretty much everyone.

10. "Great Experience!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Retail Business Development part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really don't understand why everyone has such bad things to say. I spent 3 months here selling phones for them in Walmart. If you just do what they ask (Clockin, communicate on Group messaging, and do a video call a couple times a day) you should have no problems. I was paid direct deposit every Friday and received a monthly bonus of about $150-$500 once a month.

Cons

The Schedule shifts a bunch. Hours tend to go up and down every week but are never less than 20

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The negative reviews on here are obviously some of the other reps I worked with who were trying to steal time and scam commissions!

11. "Sales Professional"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Retail Business Development (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay plus commision
    Fairly set schedule
    Great training
    Plenty of people to help you
    Great team atmosphere
    You are in a store, not d2d
    Best sales job I've had

Cons

Commission is based on hours worked versus sales you make. This means one bad day can result in the no commission for an otherwise good week.
    Co workers will lie to customers to get sales (making you look bad)
    You will have to deal with angry customers who have been lied to
    Conference calls for poor performers

It's a bad product. after 6 months I felt I was ripping people off and chose to leave

Advice to Management

Stay positive! Driving a team too hard will result in bad numbers and less pay for everyone