Retail Properties of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Retail Properties of America Reviews

Updated Feb 25, 2019

Found 22 reviews

Retail Properties of America CEO Steven P. Grimes (no image)
Steven P. Grimes

"It’s all about attitude"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people. The better your attitude the easier it is to get things done. The CEO and CFO aren’t hesitant to talk directly to the low man on the totem pole and provide direction, encouragement or seek answers to issues as the situation warrants. The department heads usually pick up the phone and are happy to assist. My direct supervisor has always expressed appreciation for the job I do and I have always felt... that this was a sincere statement.

Cons

I’ve enjoyed quite a bit of anonymity in my position. However, that seems to vary from office to office. Some people express feeling micromanaged by their supervisors and express discontent when they are held accountable for actions they were instructed to take. I believe a consistency in this regard would allow employees to feel a sense of ownership in what they do and prevent people from passing the buck and... finger pointing. Teamwork needs to be all encompassing. Not satellite offices versus corporate or Leasing versus Property Management.

Advice to Management

No system, hardware or SOP changes during budget season. Seriously throws us off our game. I would also suggest moving away from the current goal system as a standard of measurement for employee compensation. Or if you are to continue, the goals should be scrubbed for feasibility. An employee trying to accommodate a goal only to be told by another department that the goal is unachievable creates frustration and... sometimes resentment. Otherwise I have enjoyed every moment spent with RPAI.

Retail Properties of America2018-09-24
  2. "great summer houre, NO FLEX TIME or appreciation"

Current Employee - Lease Administrator in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Summer hours, good team and 20 days off

Cons

no flex time or work from home, oy yearly increase

Retail Properties of America2019-02-25
  3. "Property Management"

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary and full benefits

Cons

Demanding impersonal leadership and long work hours

Retail Properties of America2018-11-21

"Excited about the future of the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Summer hours, flexibility with work when needed, jeans everyday! Small leadership team that slimmed down intentionally to forge the way ahead for the rest of the company. Management that obviously and honestly cares about every individual.

Cons

So much change going on (albeit positive) but the pace is a mile a minute! You have to be OK with constant change to work at RPAI. Also, the company has many remote offices so it's tough for employees in field offices to feel connected.

Advice to Management

"Keep transparency in communications - your continued efforts haven't gone unnoticed. We believe in the vision so keep doing what you're doing!"

Retail Properties of America2018-09-19
  5. "On shakey ground"

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time

Pros

Nice people in Texas to work with. Great Properties.

Cons

Didn't do enough to she EVERYBODY how important they are. Just the few "big earners" (for the company, not themselves.)

Advice to Management

I've heard since leaving that things are getting better. You have some great people and some not-so-great. Stop pushing-out the good people and keeping the trouble-makers.

Retail Properties of America2018-05-18
  6. "Property Manager"

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time

Pros

Favorable working conditions, summer hours

Cons

Company is quite frugal

Retail Properties of America2017-12-14
  7. "And another one bites the dust....."

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In my opinion, summer hours only.

Cons

Miserable environment. Oppressive and creatively stifling.

Advice to Management

They've lost another senior executive. How many is that now in 4 years? Too many. I think that in and of itself makes a statement. Can't keep talented, industry known execs...... One has to wonder why.

Retail Properties of America2017-11-13
  8. "Opportunity knocks"

Current Employee - Property Manager

Pros

Summer hours - fantastic! Good benefits. Open communication between departments if you ask questions. Annual goals are realistic and achievable. Upper management appreciates quality talent and strives to acknowledge and develop those individuals allowing opportunities for advancement. RPIA is constantly working to streamline processes to increase proficiency and thereby ease the workload of its team members.

Cons

Remote offices often feel disconnected from corporate.

Advice to Management

We're a very "nose to the grindstone" type of group. Find a way to increase the energy both at the corporate level and in the satellite offices. The most memorable meetings when I've retained the most information are those that are lighthearted, have a few comedic moments thrown in and engage the group.

Retail Properties of America2017-09-23
  9. "Past employee"

Former Employee - Investor Relations Specialist in Dunedin, FL

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Young forward thinking results oriented senior leadership team and many talented employees. The benefits are great and the company culture is good.

Cons

Company is beholden to institutional investors they dismiss long term employees rather than empower them to mentor across the different disciplines.

Advice to Management

Get real with mentoring employees yearning to learn more, really care about furthering the futures of your employees so they will continue to add to your company's value

Retail Properties of America2017-09-06
  10. "Unstructured company"

I worked at Retail Properties of America

Pros

My co-worker was made the experience less painful!!

Cons

Total lack or organization, responsibility and leadership.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people!

Retail Properties of America2017-04-05