Retail Properties of America Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven P. Grimes

1. "past employee"

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits, summer hours, fun town hall meetings

Cons

Continues to question why people leave even though HR has been told numerous times of the horrible work environment

Advice to Management

Try listening to your employees and you would have a better work place

"Turning the corner... SLOWLY"

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time

Pros

There have been some structural changes in the last 12 - 18 months that show signs of hope in the form of new C-Suite occupants.

Extremely dedicated, professional, and collaborative leaders (VPs, Directors, Mgrs.) all around. A few jerks - but that is life. People truly care and want to be the very best, and it shows.

Cons

A lot of in-fighting between C-Level staff when I was there until some of the truly disruptive [in a negative sense] were shown the door. Good moves, but net effect was a very uncertain feeling among most staff - particularly at corporate headquarters - which caused some good people to bail.

Hopefully the new General Council can rein-in the HR VP. No concept of or respect for confidentiality. Very unprofessional and condescending with peers and subordinates. When people talk about others behind their backs, you can pretty much assume they talk about you to others as well. HR is supposed to lead-the-charge for new positive directions, not take it backwards 20 years.

Advice to Management

New executives seem to "get-it" more than the negative, apocalyptic, "old-timers" [and that's not ageism, it was NOT about their chronological age] that were there for so long. I chose to leave for a better opportunity. You have a lot of people on-the-fence about leaving. You really need to give them more positive things to look forward to. And, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - stop with the cute slogans, platitudes, and "philosophies." Take a tip for the folks at Nike... "Just do it!:"

3. "Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Friendly environment with people that are willing to help when asked

Cons

Income is below average standards

Advice to Management

Promote more growth opportunities for employees

5. "Poor leadership at all levels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Pros

Standard good benefits with insurance, PTO, holidays, etc.

Cons

Awful work environment (Corp. office), "open concept" is very noisy and distracting making it impossible to focus on work
    Poor management: everyone is overworked and stressed about being the next one to lose their job

"Department Head"

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time

Pros

Some brilliant, incredible and dedicated people make up the bulk of the organization. Very modern tech friendly office space outfitted with higher-end technology innovations. Company has an inspiring, inclusive, transparent, and collaborative "cultural statement."

Decent benefits [mediocre insurance program, but high employer contribution for employees (approx. 80%) and spouse/family (approx. 70%) which helps make-up for the shortcomings.

COO pretty much runs the place. His bark is worse than his bite. I would work for him again, can't necessarily say the same for the rest of the C-Level team.

Comp is generally fair and gender neutral. If you want to make "real money" you need to do something that "makes the cash register ring". Everybody else is seen as deadweight,

Cons

Physical environment is extremely difficult. Apparently senior execs decided several years ago to do away with offices - except for them and an "elite" few, The workstations are shared 6' X 12' hybrids of old-school cubes and benching. There is no "personal space" and, more important, no privacy. It's work, not personal time, I get that. But, whether it is talking to a spouse or child, a dispute with a vendor or tenant, anybody within 25' of you can hear everything you say. The "pod" office concept has been a boom to the iPod. 80% of the office has headphones on all day to drown-out the noise around them. The result of everybody connected to their own brand of "white noise" completely defeats the purpose of fostering collaboration and interdepartmental communication.

Tenure means nothing to the top executive team. I saw too many good people leave under their own steam, or get walked out over the last year [C-Suites, Mid-Seniors, and Managers] with no warning or reason/explanation. [One guy got an award for being there 10 or 15 years where they talked about his huge family, kids in college, etc. and a few days later they cut him loose to reduce payroll.] That was not just cold, but scared the hell out of the rest of us. Maybe that was the purpose.

COO is portrayed as an ogre because he is the only one with the courage to make difficult decisions and own them. CEO is something of a tourist who stops in every now and then at his convenience. Sniping and infighting among C-levels is an issue, but there are signs of improvement with some new senior staff who have recently been added.

There is supposed to be this very GenX/Millennial open, collaborative, communicative, environment. Never happened. Too much vertical and horizontal "us vs. them" happening among the worker bees. Top Execs seen as dictatorial and unapproachable.

Advice to Management

You paid a lot of money to somebody to create the vision/culture statement, and spent more to plaster it all over the walls "to remind staff" on a daily basis. Take a minute to stop and read the walls - and live the words. You will be surprised how your people will respond if you model those "behaviors in action" you talk about.

It is a big company. It is understandable that the CEO, COO, CFO, etc don't have time for individual employees. Stop telling people your "door is always open" when unsolicited visits often result in "freezing-out" [no promotions, low or no salary bumps] the person whose only mistake was taking you at your word.

You have a great company with both amazing people and absolute jerks. Try to figure out which-are-which. Even if they make you money, they don't help your reputation.

7. "Executive Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Retail Properties of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Congenial group of people to work with.

Cons

I really can't think of anything negative.

8. "Working at RPAI"

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience, we have a great work/life balance. Company offers great benefits and summer hours.
    RPAI has been doing really well over the last few year constantly exceeding investor expectations.

Cons

At times, it feels like there is a lack of communication or delay in communicating to employees about Company's performance results, org changes and other relative topics

Advice to Management

Keep executing strategy and communicate results and changes to all employees across the Company.

9. "Great company"

Pros

Great concept, passionate employees and great management.

Cons

I have to drive and not take public transportation

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Reasonable hours and some people.

Cons

Very low morale, chaotic environment will lead you to hate your job. The management excels in intimidation and disrespect. Management relentlessly gossips about everyone in the company, putting them down and name calling, drawing morale further down. Inexperienced managers who do not know how to utilize their staffs' talents leading to disinterest.
    There was an effort to bring up the ratings so it is clear that positive feedback has been submitted internally. I would not recommend anyone to work there.

Advice to Management

When you have issues with the same people who cause mass exodus, perhaps it is time to reevaluate that person's employment.

"Dedicated to Forward-Thinking Real Estate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Retail Properties of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of the RPAI team for over eight years. During my time with the Company, I have worked alongside nearly every discipline on various projects. One of the greatest benefits to working at RPAI is that projects are rarely task driven. Nearly every team member is willing to provide details to help me better understand the information that I am preparing, and how it directly impacts the business, and the messaging that we are providing to external audiences.
    I also feel that the Executive Management Team has made a significant effort to increase collaboration, develop opportunities to connect with fellow team members, and is constantly going above and beyond to acknowledge hard work in various forms of recognition.

Cons

RPAI offers a very strong total compensation program. However, I would like to see additional opportunities for continuing education and training.

Advice to Management

The Executive Management Team always has its people in mind. I feel that the team is rarely thanked for all that they do for RPAI team members. From Jeans Day Fridays, giveaways, holiday gifts, luncheons, etc., the Executive Management Team is always looking out for its team. While I know it is a challenging, I would love to have the opportunity to connect with our team members in our regional offices on a regular basis.