RetailMeNot Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
RetailMeNot CEO Cotter Cunningham
Cotter Cunningham

Pros
  • Seriously relaxed environment with best work-life balance I've known (in 10 reviews)

• Free lunch 4 days/wk, coffee bar, free breakfast on mondays, cool workspace & gadgets in the office, work from home (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The most you will get is a thank you email after putting in long hours over the weekend (in 7 reviews)

• Felt like the career path was limited (in 3 reviews)

1. "Room to grow and flourish but you have to work at it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When the company first started many years ago, it was stretched thin and there were a lot of opportunities to move up quickly and make a big difference.

Now that we've grown into a more mature company, it's harder to make a 'big splash', but generally if you're hired and you're doing well, after about 1-2 years you'll start to take on more and more responsibilities, and from there you can only go up - but it's essential that you seek them out and not get discouraged, and you take that first 1-2 years seriously...it's almost a litmus test. But once you get that first promotion, the doors start opening wider.

Also, Networking and building a positive reputation, as cliche as it is, really helps. Everyone knows everyone in a company of 350 (350 in TX at least).

Friendly atmosphere, and people who are really trying to do well.

Work life balance is excellent.

Good culture and values, supported by personal beliefs.

Cons

Not the fastest place to grow, but full of opportunity if you try, and surrounded by genuinely nice people who are the kind of people you don't mind saying Hi to at the coffee bar or at Happy Hour.

Salary isn't going to amaze you, but it grows quickly after year 1 with ESPP, RSU grants, and Bonus (10%).

Advice to Management

More management and leadership training for internal-hire managers/ first-time managers or dept leaders. It's great that we promote from within but I'm shocked at how little training there is for some things (e.g. interviewing, managing a team)...giving internal hires a better ground to stand on here benefits everyone.

2. "RMN"

Pros

Smart hard working group of people. Very passionate and transparent CEO.

Cons

Cons are primarily attributable to growing pains after going public. Lots of meetings and began to lose focus of hiring for culture fit.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and listen to your employees.

"Great for Engineers"

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks! Culture! Working with super smart and talented people! All the pros listed here are airtight. There are a lot of awesome opportunities at RMN, and the environment is great for collaboration and bolstering technical skills.

Cons

- An effort to retain eng talent is showering praise for any and all 'accomplishments,' even if the product or idea flopped. If you work in a department that doesn't write code, you can easily feel like a bit of a second-class employee. (it's tough to watch a product manager wearing an Apple Watch accept a second one as a gift from the company celebrating an app release)
    - It is clear that you are replaceable, even in the recent/current climate of attrition in all departments.
    - There is not much oversight or advocacy from upper management, which causes friction among the team members; be prepared to miss your loved ones or work from home during Q4, and breathing air is considered experience, so people are often promoted out of nepotism or politics instead of talent and drive.
    - Engineers seem to treat RMN as a post-college training station before moving on to bigger name tech companies. It's not uncommon to find a bug nobody can fix because the person who built it left.

Advice to Management

- Be more graceful when assigning credit and congratulations for hard work
    - Stop hiring and promoting people into people-management positions whose qualifications are irrelevant or nonexistent; you'll end up with 50 self-righteous Indian chiefs and no Indians who will work for them.

"Great work/life balance. Fast paced engineering"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Lot of ownership over engineering projects
    + Very friendly coworkers
    + Smart engineers
    + Good compensation
    + Good benefits
    + Does a good job at recognizing work

Cons

- Often times celebrates the little meaningless victories
    - Lot of projects never receive the proper marketing/promotion
    - Less than satisfactory performance and product launches recently

Advice to Management

Launch projects/products backed by market research. More transparency into what Engineering leadership does day to day.

"Org"

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. great benefits & compensations
    2. managers care about people
    3. coworkers are smart and it's a fun environment to work at

Cons

1. leadership doesn't have a vision, shifting priorities frequently
    2. transparency. some internal movement process is very unclear and some people just get promoted / moved by playing politics
    3. there isn't much help for career growth

Advice to Management

Give more autonomy to people. Drive better communications. Have more passion about the company.

"Great co-workers, management needs to focus"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be working with some of the smartest people in the Austin tech space. Love the office space and flexbility of work. I work in a pretty great team, my manager lets me make the decisions on all the projects that I work on. Also free lunch.

Cons

Some of the upper management have not delivered in the past two years. That is showing in the stock. If they could set aside their differences and focus on what's important instead of padding their job title, the company would do much better. The outlook on this company doesn't look great but if they continue to keep the smart people, sky is the limit.

Advice to Management

Please focus. There is no need to indulge in political maneuvering. We would all like to work for the good of the company. We have a great opportunity here in this space and I hope we hold it together.

8. "Out of the teenage years"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RMN has become an 'adult' company, where we can't throw as many outrageous parties or celebrations as we used to, but we are more closely focused on long term success in multiple avenues. It's possible to be promoted within, maybe up to the VP level, but C-level is often hired from the outside. Recently we've made a number of great hires from large tech companies, and to our board, to guide the future of the company. The lifestyle and daily work-life balance are phenomenal, the people are warm, friendly, and try hard. It's a very satisfying place to work, with amazing perks.

Cons

Small office can sometimes lead to politics; some decisions are slow to be made, which can delay progress. Some question over how quickly you can be promoted.

Advice to Management

Make promotion requirements clearer.

"Great for growing your career"

Pros

- Smart people who offer great guidance on developing your career
    - Unlimited vacation time
    - Lunch served 4 days a week (free)

Cons

- Growing pains, as a company ... this is really all I'll say for cons. I love working here and though, some things aren't perfect - you'll find that in EVERY company.

"Great engineering, unstable industry"

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an engineer, there are tons of opportunities to work on great projects using cutting-edge technologies. You can learn a lot and mentor others as well. The benefits are amazing. I've been inspired to do everything I can to become a better engineer while working here, both because the projects I work on are challenging and because the engineers who surround me are talented.

Cons

However, I'm not sure how stable the industry is. We have experienced some ups and downs, so it's hard to predict how the company will perform in the long-term.

Advice to Management

We need some more steady sources of income that don't rely on the consumer, the economy, and the stock market

11. "Great company!"

Pros

- Friendly atmosphere
    - Great compensation
    - Fairly decent hours for interns (9-6) or (9-4 or 5pm depending on dept).
    - Fun intern activities

Cons

Can't think of any! I enjoyed my experiences at RMN. I only wish I would have applied for their internship earlier in my college career.