RetailMeNot Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
RetailMeNot CEO Cotter Cunningham
Cotter Cunningham

Pros
  • Seriously relaxed environment with best work-life balance I've known (in 10 reviews)

• Free lunch 4 days/wk, coffee bar, free breakfast on mondays, cool workspace & gadgets in the office, work from home (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the upper management have not delivered in the past two years (in 3 reviews)

• But as far as the company itself, no cons (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Fun Company That Really Takes Care of You!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are great! Fun to work with and really become your friends. The company itself really takes care of their employees with amazing perks! Breakfast and lunch, fully stocked snacks and drinks, barista on site, juice on tap, reimbursement for gym, cellphone and so more! It's one of the best companies i've ever worked for.

Cons

Because of the perks, pay is lower than industry standards. Not everyone at Retailmenot feels included in the long term plan of the company, and though we're free and welcomed to voice our opinions, certain changes can't be made so the moral can be low for certain teams, but they do a good job of transitioning you over to another team/department if you have interest in that.

Advice to Management

Make everyone feel like they are apart of the long term plan!

2. "Company that values employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

You'll never find a company that values their employees higher or treats them better. This is such a contradiction to any other place I've worked in my career, that it is almost shocking.

Cons

I'm sure there are some, but I've not found them yet.

3. "Fun company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

- Great company perks (free breakfast and lunch, team lunches/socials, annual holidays, games areas)
    - Very open culture. No question/idea is frowned upon
    - GM is very personable and is extremely passionate about the brand

Cons

- Little scope for career progression unless someone leaves
    - Promotions are more based on time spent in the business rather than achievement
    - Underlying unhappiness amongst the team that no one feels able to vocalise

Advice to Management

Encourage Directors to trust their team and stop micromanaging. Find a way to ensure employees don't start looking elsewhere for jobs because of lack of career progression internally

4. "Fun Work Environment to Get Things Done in"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with smart, nice, collaborative co-workers who are solving interesting problems to grow the company and deliver savings to consumers in new and innovative ways. Some part of my work is fun every day and a large part of that is due to company culture and nature of the business.

Cons

The company is still catching up with its prior explosive growth by implementing much needed processes. The business model needs to evolve to continue having success, but that is recognized and progress is being made.

5. "Fun place to work with some caveats"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Compensation was very good
    * Flexible vacation policy
    * For the most part everyone was great to work with

Cons

* Perks started to decline after IPO
    * Culture also changed as growth happened, was no longer as fun but not anymore productive than before
    * Became very political, this was brewing before the IPO but increased afterwards. Too many people trying to climb the career ladder

Advice to Management

Give decision-making power to lower product managers. It seemed like everything kept funneling to the top. whether they were big or small issues. This slowed down the product development process and was somewhat demoralizing.

6. "Demanding Work but Adequately Compensated"

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing campus with themed beautifully decorated floors. Great perks such as free lunches, breakfasts on Mondays & Fridays, free downtown parking, onsite baristas and unlimited snacks. Employees also get access to dry-cleaning pick-up/drop-off and a Segway.

Cons

Many of the tasks are tedious and repetitive so managing your focus and energy levels are important. Contractors tend to feel like outsiders.

Advice to Management

Consider current or former contractors first when posting new positions.

7. "Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, innovative products and great work environment

Cons

Lack of internal growth, lack of insights into goals and lack of urgency around important aspects that will help the company and team grow

Advice to Management

Take a different approach to account management. Potentially thousands of dollars being left on the table due to internal inefficiencies, however, sales team takes the blame.

"Room to grow and flourish but you have to work at it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When the company first started many years ago, it was stretched thin and there were a lot of opportunities to move up quickly and make a big difference.

Now that we've grown into a more mature company, it's harder to make a 'big splash', but generally if you're hired and you're doing well, after about 1-2 years you'll start to take on more and more responsibilities, and from there you can only go up - but it's essential that you seek them out and not get discouraged, and you take that first 1-2 years seriously...it's almost a litmus test. But once you get that first promotion, the doors start opening wider.

Also, Networking and building a positive reputation, as cliche as it is, really helps. Everyone knows everyone in a company of 350 (350 in TX at least).

Friendly atmosphere, and people who are really trying to do well.

Work life balance is excellent.

Good culture and values, supported by personal beliefs.

Cons

Not the fastest place to grow, but full of opportunity if you try, and surrounded by genuinely nice people who are the kind of people you don't mind saying Hi to at the coffee bar or at Happy Hour.

Salary isn't going to amaze you, but it grows quickly after year 1 with ESPP, RSU grants, and Bonus (10%).

Advice to Management

More management and leadership training for internal-hire managers/ first-time managers or dept leaders. It's great that we promote from within but I'm shocked at how little training there is for some things (e.g. interviewing, managing a team)...giving internal hires a better ground to stand on here benefits everyone.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, the product works, great culture. Unlimited PTO and AMAZING benefits! CEO is super transparent and communicative with the whole company.

Cons

Not much room for growth, unless you put yourself out there. Just as in almost any work place environment, you have to make yourself noticed/known.

"Very political, toxic environment"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch 4 days/wk, coffee bar, free breakfast on mondays, cool workspace & gadgets in the office, work from home.

Cons

Very political environment where 'diversity & inclusivity' is a major priority as employees are divided by race & genitalia, then we're told we need more of this group and less of this group. It's rather sickening. You must think and march along with the obvious political party lines (which doesn't even have anything to do with work) or you're not in the clique.

Advice to Management

Leave the toxic, political topics at home, some of us just want to work at our jobs. Diversity is more than skin pigmentation, sexual preference, and gender. Inclusivity should be welcoming to all viewpoints, not just the mainstream.

RetailMeNot Response

Jan 31, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. At RetailMeNot, we believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace is central to our success, and that every team member is valued, welcomed, respected, and heard ... More