KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of J2 Global
Is this your company?

RetailMeNot

Add a Review

RetailMeNot Employee Reviews about "rmn"

Updated Jun 1, 2020

Found 14 of over 202 reviews

3.7
RetailMeNot President Lou Agnese
Lou Agnese
Pros
  • "Free lunch (except on Wednesdays because they want you to go out once in a while :/ )(in 20 reviews)

• "The work environment is fun and there is good work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's difficult to find something I didn't like about my time at RMN(in 8 reviews)

• "Commuting downtown is oftentimes a struggle(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

229 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of RetailMeNot and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "rmn"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The best place I have worked

Jan 31, 2020 - N/A in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing beats RetailMeNot's culture. The company and CEO care about employees and the community. RMN encourages employees to take risks and they foster a collaborative environment. RetailMeNot offers amazing perks and they're always finding new ways to reward employees.

Cons

It's difficult to find something I didn't like about my time at RMN.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Formerly a wonderful place to work, Future outlook uncertain

Jun 1, 2020 - Director in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful people - Without a doubt the best thing about RMN is the people that work there. The culture truly was encouraging, supportive, collaborative, and well intentioned. Other pro's include a fun office space, RMN properties have good and healthy business performance despite the pandemic.

Cons

Parent company, Vericast, fired 5 out of 9 RetailMeNot Executive Leaders, the CEO and the founder. All were replaced with a new 'Senior Leadership Team' (SLT) at a the parent company level. All of the replacements do not understand RMN's business and they wonder why RMN employees morale is poor. It feels more like a takeover than a true consolidation or partnership. Other sister company performance Valassis, Harland Clark, etc, while larger in scale, were in decline prior to the pandemic and trends have exasperated. As previously separately run businesses, we were challenged by the Senior Leadership team through many 'war' references to take on the poor performance at a parent company level. The net impact leaves RMN employees feeling like we were punished because of other businesses performance. Perks and benefits are in question beyond 2020. Formerly RMN had very competitive and supportive benefits. Paternity leave, Vacation Policies are all anticipated to not be as generous in the future.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Lovely place to work

Jan 1, 2020 - Technical Recruiter in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The vibe is great. RMN trusts their employees, lots of growth opportunities, the People Team really cares, open clear communication, transparency and very supportive environment.

Cons

Literally none. WFH days, flexible working hours, amazing culture, food and free downtown parking!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

INSPIRING ENVIRONMENT+COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION+INCREDIBLE BENEFITS

Jun 20, 2019 - Program Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

INSPIRING ENVIRONMENT - The entire building envokes a spirit of creativity. working space, conference rooms, and common spaces all remind employees of how fun it is to work at RMN. All colleagues, managers and support staff all collaborative and helpful. COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION - RMN demonstrates how much it values its employees with substantial base pay and rewards success with generous bonus opportunities. INCREDIBLE BENEFITS - RMN has designed elegant benefits packages that support its team members daily as well as during life shaking moments. From free meals to unlimited vacation to a free parking and gym membership daily life at RMN is full of creature comforts. The medical benefits package is designed to affordably handle traditional expenses as well as cover surprise emergencies.

Cons

CHANGE MANAGEMENT - While change is inevitable, the team has struggled with the most recent round of changes. I believe all could benefit greatly from more frequent communication.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great opportunity for growth

Jan 10, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of opportunity to grow and develop if you have a good work ethic and high-quality deliverable.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind that isn't common in other companies. I very much enjoyed my time and the people I worked with. I felt fortunate to work at RMN.

6. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Friendly company, well-organized intern program - very good learning experience and lots of fun

Dec 28, 2018 - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. The whole program is well-organized, and experience very personal. They have selected very caring folks to ensure the interns had a great time, and host bonding events that had worked well. 2. They treat interns as an apprentice, not cheap labor - a lot of help from mentor/manager; tons of bootcamps/workshops that introduce common and state of the art industry tools. 3. Work with really smart people - both the senior and the other interns - and the latest technology. The overall engineering atmosphere is so good that everybody can afford to be nice, and the tech stack in RMN is pretty modern. 4. CEO cares - CEO finds engineers like coffee, and a coffee bar was set serving good free coffee; CEO finds most interns didn't come back not because of RMN, but because of Austin (TEXAS), so he invites other Austin CEOs to give interns face-to-face talks, and told us Austin is a booming/promising/dynamic city. Even if one day we don't like RMN and want to leave, we still have a lot of places to go. 5. Interns feel integrated. Everything Thursday afternoon RMN has a company-wide...hmmm....con(I was looking for some word to describe the gathering, and the closest I found is BlizzCon).

Cons

If you are not a student from UT Austin, UIUC, UW, Gatech, it might be harder for you to get in - not discrimination, just no campus recruiting events beyond those target schools

RetailMeNot Response

Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We work really hard to make our internship experience a great one, filled with meaningful work, learning opportunities and fun!

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great for Engineers

Aug 5, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perks! Culture! Working with super smart and talented people! All the pros listed here are airtight. There are a lot of awesome opportunities at RMN, and the environment is great for collaboration and bolstering technical skills.

Cons

- An effort to retain eng talent is showering praise for any and all 'accomplishments,' even if the product or idea flopped. If you work in a department that doesn't write code, you can easily feel like a bit of a second-class employee. (it's tough to watch a product manager wearing an Apple Watch accept a second one as a gift from the company celebrating an app release) - It is clear that you are replaceable, even in the recent/current climate of attrition in all departments. - There is not much oversight or advocacy from upper management, which causes friction among the team members; be prepared to miss your loved ones or work from home during Q4, and breathing air is considered experience, so people are often promoted out of nepotism or politics instead of talent and drive. - Engineers seem to treat RMN as a post-college training station before moving on to bigger name tech companies. It's not uncommon to find a bug nobody can fix because the person who built it left.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Out of the teenage years

Jan 8, 2016 - Merchandiser in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

RMN has become an 'adult' company, where we can't throw as many outrageous parties or celebrations as we used to, but we are more closely focused on long term success in multiple avenues. It's possible to be promoted within, maybe up to the VP level, but C-level is often hired from the outside. Recently we've made a number of great hires from large tech companies, and to our board, to guide the future of the company. The lifestyle and daily work-life balance are phenomenal, the people are warm, friendly, and try hard. It's a very satisfying place to work, with amazing perks.

Cons

Small office can sometimes lead to politics; some decisions are slow to be made, which can delay progress. Some question over how quickly you can be promoted.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great company!

Sep 13, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly atmosphere - Great compensation - Fairly decent hours for interns (9-6) or (9-4 or 5pm depending on dept). - Fun intern activities

Cons

Can't think of any! I enjoyed my experiences at RMN. I only wish I would have applied for their internship earlier in my college career.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Worst place I have ever worked, ever! It's a cultish kids club.

Sep 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, free junk, free events, free gym. Not worth it though for the lack of work life balance.

Cons

Terrible people managers in many departments. No career path. Horrible HR. In 3 years I had the 3 worst mangers I have experienced in my very long work career. I wasn't part of the koolaid drinking click. I was left out, passed over, and ignored despite high performance reviews. I would never RMN. Poor leadership and a sinking ship that is circling the drain. Run far and run fast. Find a company that cares about developing and elevating people. This place does not run as a meritocracy, it's who you have in your pocket. I've never been more happy than to be away from this awful place.

7 people found this review helpful