KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of J2 Global
Is this your company?

RetailMeNot

Add a Review

RetailMeNot Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 12, 2020

Found 21 of over 202 reviews

3.8
RetailMeNot President Lou Agnese
Lou Agnese
Pros
  • "Free lunch (except on Wednesdays because they want you to go out once in a while :/ )(in 20 reviews)

• "The work environment is fun and there is good work/life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's difficult to find something I didn't like about my time at RMN(in 8 reviews)

• "Commuting downtown is oftentimes a struggle(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

214 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of RetailMeNot and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A company that cares about their people

Oct 12, 2020 - People in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at RetailMeNot are amazin! From the leadership down you will find people who are genuine, kind, and care about those around them. The work environment is fun and there is good work/life balance.

Cons

There can be a lot of frequent change

2. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Overall very good but not without a few shortcomings

Mar 21, 2019 - Marketing in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, values and work culture. Office location in Downtown Austin and and its open-space layout are amazing, and co-workers really friendly and laidback. This is definitely a nice and comfortable place to work with some perks and a really good work-life balance. My manager was kind and supporting, so kudos for him!

Cons

If you are a contractor many of the perks and benefits don't apply to you and they are very direct in pointing it, so you can really feel like a second-class employee. There’s lack of insights into goals and things move at snail’s pace, what is frustrating. Not many opportunities to show yourself and be noticed for your work and not much room for growth.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Room to grow and flourish but you have to work at it

Feb 16, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

When the company first started many years ago, it was stretched thin and there were a lot of opportunities to move up quickly and make a big difference. Now that we've grown into a more mature company, it's harder to make a 'big splash', but generally if you're hired and you're doing well, after about 1-2 years you'll start to take on more and more responsibilities, and from there you can only go up - but it's essential that you seek them out and not get discouraged, and you take that first 1-2 years seriously...it's almost a litmus test. But once you get that first promotion, the doors start opening wider. Also, Networking and building a positive reputation, as cliche as it is, really helps. Everyone knows everyone in a company of 350 (350 in TX at least). Friendly atmosphere, and people who are really trying to do well. Work life balance is excellent. Good culture and values, supported by personal beliefs.

Cons

Not the fastest place to grow, but full of opportunity if you try, and surrounded by genuinely nice people who are the kind of people you don't mind saying Hi to at the coffee bar or at Happy Hour. Salary isn't going to amaze you, but it grows quickly after year 1 with ESPP, RSU grants, and Bonus (10%).

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Amazing post-startup company

Apr 25, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I feel like my inputs are highly valued and management listens to everything I say. I do not feel like another "cog in a machine," rather I feel like all of my opinions matter. It's a fun place to work with smart, driven co-workers. I don't feel like the hire anybody who would risk dragging down a team by doing on the bare minimum. The perks are top-notch, and the benefits package is great. Combine the perks and benefits with equity bonuses, and my salary feels higher than it really is, since I never have to worry about packing a lunch or paying my own cell phone bill. Work/life balance is great, and I feel free to come in late or leave early whenever I need to, or work from home if I need to.

Cons

Many other teams feel like there is not a lot of room for advancement, or that they hire too much from the outside rather than promoting from the inside. I don't feel like my team suffers from that, but it can be a con when other employees have complaints.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great engineering culture with questionable business outlook

Sep 11, 2017 - Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great engineering culture that promotes learning by working with the latest tech and being around co-workers who are helpful and smart. - Great work-life balance with some teams having a very flexible schedule. - Co-workers are relaxed and do not have large egos. - Able to work on and with industry-relevant technologies, which contribute to career growth. - Great pay relative to Austin cost of living. - A nice balance between professionalism and casualness. - Managers are a good bunch for the most part. Most do not have egos and they care about growing direct reports. - A good start to diversity and inclusion efforts in recent years.

Cons

- Questionable business outlook in recent years. The company is not going to die start-up style, but it is not doing as hot as it once was. This is felt by people at the company. At most, people feel that their work is contributing to sustaining the company, rather than contributing to explosive growth. - Questionable atmosphere after acquisition given high rate of departures. - Support burden can occasionally be troublesome depending on what team you are on.

6. 5.0

Awesome, Austin-weird overgrown startup experience

Apr 16, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of smart people excited by what they are doing, awesome work-life balance, culture fosters learning and having fun (within reason).

Cons

In the last couple of years the Eng organization has transitioned to a new model: Multiple autonomous teams, working in parallel on what often is redundant systems. You will be doing production support for your app. If you are in a one-person team, you will be doing it alone. Even though your code is perfect, your phone may ring in the middle of the night alerting you to the fact that the monitoring software developed by the Eng Ops group is hung on your cluster. But it will be your phone, not theirs.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Out of the teenage years

Jan 8, 2016 - Merchandiser in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

RMN has become an 'adult' company, where we can't throw as many outrageous parties or celebrations as we used to, but we are more closely focused on long term success in multiple avenues. It's possible to be promoted within, maybe up to the VP level, but C-level is often hired from the outside. Recently we've made a number of great hires from large tech companies, and to our board, to guide the future of the company. The lifestyle and daily work-life balance are phenomenal, the people are warm, friendly, and try hard. It's a very satisfying place to work, with amazing perks.

Cons

Small office can sometimes lead to politics; some decisions are slow to be made, which can delay progress. Some question over how quickly you can be promoted.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Easy Surfin' Career Hurtin

Sep 12, 2017 - Software Engineer-II in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great perks. Great culture. Great office * Amazing work life balance. * Awesome equipment to get your work done * Everyone is super friendly and helpful * Career growth can be fast if you know how to put yourself on the spotlight * Flexible work hours and easy going work environment * Great vacation policy

Cons

* NOT a meritocracy. Random engineers get promoted for soft skills rather than their accomplishments as a software engineer * Work is uninteresting for the most part. Haven't launched a single successful product in forever. Celebrates irrelevant things which are obviously not successful. Mostly pat on their own backs. * Depressing outlook for the future of the company. If you wanna go somewhere in your career, go somewhere else. * Leadership is uninspiring and mostly here to live a comfortable life, not here to innovate and move the ship forward

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Worst place I have ever worked, ever! It's a cultish kids club.

Sep 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, free junk, free events, free gym. Not worth it though for the lack of work life balance.

Cons

Terrible people managers in many departments. No career path. Horrible HR. In 3 years I had the 3 worst mangers I have experienced in my very long work career. I wasn't part of the koolaid drinking click. I was left out, passed over, and ignored despite high performance reviews. I would never RMN. Poor leadership and a sinking ship that is circling the drain. Run far and run fast. Find a company that cares about developing and elevating people. This place does not run as a meritocracy, it's who you have in your pocket. I've never been more happy than to be away from this awful place.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0
      Former Intern

Intern

May 29, 2015 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team - people are very warm and friendly, based in Austin and has a lot of that culture, great work life balance - in the office by 9am and out of the office by 10am. Flexible vacation time and space, lunch and snacks (sometimes breakfast) all day everyday! CEO is very down to earth (even as an intern I got to chat with the CEO). There is a lot of effort put into planning and designing the internship and it shows! Lots of outings to foster friendships, face time with executives, etc. and they are big on getting your feedback

Cons

There are a lot of moving parts and sometimes not all the parts move together, some politics

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews