Return Path Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Return Path Chairman and CEO Matt Blumberg
Matt Blumberg

Pros
  • They offer a pretty decent work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Great work environment, great people, great benefits/pay (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It is 100% up to you to find your work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Growing pains - probably typical for a company with this level of growth (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"People First Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO actually cares and listens to employees regardless of seniority or tenure.
    The culture is real and everyone brings it.
    Solutions provide significant, measurable value to clients and no real competitors.
     A re-focus on what they do best will deliver even stronger growth.
    Strong leaders and team in APAC.

Cons

RP could do a better job in educating partners and the market in the real business value they provide to drive more opportunities and faster sales cycles.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.
    Focus on implementing the strategy whilst also continuing to foster the great culture the staff enjoy!

Feb 28, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for the great review Down Under. I agree local leadership counts for a ton, and we have two awesome leaders in Sydney!

2. "Sales Development Representative- Great Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, flexible vacation, great management

Cons

Not really a con- but there are a lot of changes with it being a growing company

Mar 4, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the positive review from Indy!

3. "Great people, held back by indecisive leadership"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay, great people, and the freedom to innovate if you're on the right team.

Cons

High turnover at upper levels, indecisive leadership, parts of the company are stuck in the last decade, lip-service to transparency. General indecisiveness about what the company should make and do.

Advice to Management

Pick one plan and stick with it. Either be transparent or stop claiming to be.

May 18, 2017 – CTO

We've had a difficult year of deep change in the business, and it sounds like you are frustrated and maybe negatively impacted by some of this change. I'm sorry about that. However, I have to ... More

4. "Let's go and get it."

Current Employee - Partnership Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partnership Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still finding out way but the future looks brighter in 2017! Solid individuals with a vast amount of experience. Momentum is building so let's harness it.

Cons

Just need action, need to get back to what made us so great for so many years. Invest in our talent and put them on the front lines, success will follow.

Advice to Management

Starting to include the founding talent that built the company to what it is today. The perception out there is not a good one but we now have the opportunity to turn it around. I am sure we will learn from our lessons and come back stronger than ever.

Jan 18, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the great comments...great way to start a big day for the company at our annual kickoff!

5. "Growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Return Path (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture that existed at RP was incredible. It was great to work with people who were both intelligent and genuinely interested in helping others. Matt and George are great leaders that can inspire those around them while also having a solid grasp of the industry.

Cons

I left prior to the recent re-org so my views are possibly dated. In my opinion RP did not grow well. Focus should have been kept on the core product but instead new business units with their own products stalled growth and created internal tension. With the tension came trust issues that were never addressed and shortly thereafter the office felt toxic.

Advice to Management

Sharpen your saw ... we heard this over and over from Jen and Matt but I don't think it was ever applied to RP as a whole. Or if it was, it was certainly not obvious to this old timer.

Jan 24, 2017 – CEO

I'm sorry that a couple bumps in the road have turned a happy old timer into a negative outlook! I feel like the business is in a good position at the moment with less and less tension, though not ... More

6. "This is the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Return Path is the first job I've ever had that I genuinely enjoy, and it's the hardest job I've ever had. Management and senior leadership truly practice what they preach, here. The culture is fun, the people are a joy to work with (and are SO SMART), and the work is rewarding. RP compensates their employees fairly and perks include great benefits, stocked kitchens, unlimited PTO, remote work opportunities and the most transparent and open culture you could ever imagine in a company so large. I feel so fortunate to have found a home and Return Path and look forward to helping the company grow and evolve.

Cons

Office location in Broomfield isn't the greatest - there's not a lot nearby.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I appreciate the support management has given me and the open lines of communication are vital.

Dec 28, 2016 – CEO

If I could wave a wand on anything in and around the Colorado office, it would be to open a Starbucks, a deli, and a Mexican restaurant, believe me! Thanks so much for the nice comment, and I'm glad ... More

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Awesome people
    -Awesome CEO
    -Engaging work
    -Incredible learning and development opportunities

Cons

-Sometimes too many people included in decision making
    -Inconsistent experiences between people in different teams

Advice to Management

There are great managers here but people do seem to have different experiences based on their location/manager/team. Try to make the experience more consistent.

Dec 15, 2016 – CEO

Thanks so much for the positive review (and the kind words about me!).

8. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Digital Engagement Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Digital Engagement Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Return Path full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company. Great culture, values and benefits. Unlimited vacation. Flexible environment. Supportive team members. Smart, passionate peers. Loved being part of the marketing team. Passionate CEO. Snacks and lunch provided. Transparent. One of the most favorite places I have worked in my career. Great life/work balance.

Cons

A lot of change in strategy and company structure which is typical with a start up in technology.

Advice to Management

Will miss being part of the organization. Continue to focus on the People First culture and transparency.

Dec 14, 2016 – CEO

Thanks so much for the positive review even with all the changes of late.

"Best place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Return Path full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of really great, smart people at Return Path. The company is very transparent and honest. They do live their values. It's a good place to start your career.

Cons

Depending on your role and your management, career growth and opportunities can be limited. People just starting out have the most opportunity, but if you are experience and mid-career you're overlooked.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to your values. Pay more attention to people that are mid to senior in their roles. They have valuable experience, but need better opportunities to grow in their roles.

Nov 28, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for the review...it's not that we don't pay attention to mid-to-senior people, it's just that rapid career growth is a little harder to come by when you get to that level unless the company ... More

10. "Savor working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

RP spoiled me for every other company I'll ever work for. The bar was set really high in many ways.

- Leadership is committed to engaging staff; the CEO is on here responding to every comment (hi Matt); that says a lot. Read his only once blog and you'll gain some valuable thinking.

- Lots of awesome, intelligent and fun people

- the company has been turning profits for years; they are the leaders in email data ... lots of potential

- great perks and activities creates a sense of community in the offices

- lastly I was let go humanely and with respect. RP made sure I landed on my feet. I was given every opportunity to succeed. I did in some areas but overall they made the call to change direction. I was floored with how generous and humane they were. It's the only time I've been fired in my career, and I respect RP for doing it AND I rated them highly.

Cons

-capitalizing on potential ... there's something great with the products, people & leadership ... i hope to see them go IPO or get a huge buyout

- turnover is scary; it seems like there has been a lot of it ... i remember a deck showing unwanted turnover and it was low. That's cool; but everyone should know the company puts people first; even when things don't work out. Matt sought me out and expressed he was sorry things weren't different. You also let me "consult" for a few months before I landed another gig ... that's all stand up stuff

- bridging the Colorado gap ... its tricky bridging the gap b/w offices

Advice to Management

Keep rocking out ... it's been a few years since I left, and I'm not sure if turnover was addressed with the company since. I talked to scared employees after I left; and, I think reassurance or more transparency in a very sensitive area would help. I'm not sure how that's done, but it would be another evolution in the people first value.

Nov 23, 2016 – CEO

Hi back at you, and thanks so very much for this positive and constructive review. And Happy Thanksgiving!