KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Revature

Is this your company?

Revature

Add a Review

Revature Employee Reviews about "2 year contract"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 42 of over 1,041 reviews

3.9
Revature Chief Executive Officer Ashwin Bharath
Ashwin Bharath
Pros
  • "I had spent 6-9 months full time learning Java,(in 34 reviews)

• "Revature work culture makes it a great place to work(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Realize that you're getting paid a little above minimum wage for your location(in 57 reviews)

• "Which is just a result of the 2 year contract that you sign(in 44 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Revature and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "2 year contract"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Revature review

Jan 21, 2021 - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

They give you a straight path into what companies are looking for in a software development.

Cons

You don't really get a choice in the company you will work for. Which is just a result of the 2 year contract that you sign.

2 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you! We appreciate your review and feedback. Thanks so much for choosing Revature to launch your tech career. Congrats on all you have accomplished!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic kick start to my career

May 18, 2019 - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I graduated with a degree not even remotely related to Computer Science, but had always had a knack for programming. I applied to the boot camp on a whim and ended up being a top performer in their classroom-like training setting. I specifically requested being in a C# training "batch" and they were able to accommodate my request, although a lot of my classmates were upset because they were led to believe they were training in Java technologies. After training (which is very much like a full college course load) there is a process called "Staging" in which you study for certifications and continually take interviews with different companies. This was a grueling and stressful process for me, as I was slated to be placed at multiple companies without the need for interviews, but the contracts fell through, which led to me waiting around the office twiddling my thumbs for a month before being bombarded with interviews one after the other once my managers realized the deals were off. I was eventually placed at a very large and prominent company, however, so I was pretty happy with the result. I did end up moving half way across the country though. They will send you to any client in the continental United States, and you have no choice, so realize that it is a possibility! My contract included a right-to-hire clause, which means the client has the ability to buy out my contract from Revature and I would become an associate at the client company, no longer under my Revature contract. I was also a little different in the sense that my contract was only one year when most people have two year contracts. This was great because I had the opportunity of becoming an employee directly under my client company quickly. Unfortunately, there was a snafu with my client company's fiances and I ended up staying on with Revature for longer than my contract stated. I was okay with this, however, because Revature offered me a significant raise for my second year of employment which was an unexpected, but welcomed surprise. Once on the client's site, I had very little to no contact with Revature. I went two to three months at a time having never spoken to a Revature manager or HR. They kept sending me paychecks and I was doing well at my client company, so I suppose everything was in order anyway. There was also a large amount of other Revature employees at my client company so I didn't feel like I was alone. Coming from a person with a non CS degree, I would say the boot camp is hard but certainly doable for someone who has a basic understanding of programming skills, and more importantly, the ability to learn quickly and a willingness to learn new technologies. This was exactly what I needed to get into the Software Development industry. Had I not gone through Revature, it would have been personally impossible for me to be working as a Software Engineer at the company I am today, and I mean that sincerely.

Cons

- 2 year contract - Underpaid for the industry standard. If you have a CS degree and the relative skills to land a position, you're probably better off finding a job on your own. - I never had an issues with my paycheck, clients, or other business, but there is a lack of HR support across the company for employees on projects. They are working to improve this, but I've seen colleagues struggle with HR problems that should be easily addressable. - Until you finish training and start making money for the company, you are very much treated like an expendable commodity. If they don't think you'll be a desirable employee for a software company, they'll cut you loose during training.

256 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Excellent! Thank you so much for leaving a detailed review. We appreciate all of your feedback and are so thrilled that we were able to launch your career in tech to offer you a complete career change! We are also happy to share that we too wanted to be more in touch with our employees on projects and we now have many different meetings throughout one’s time on project for us to connect, check in and provide support. We celebrate in your successes thus far and for those yet to come as we know your career is just getting started!

3. 4.0
      Former Freelancer, more than 1 year

Brutally honest full review of Revature

Mar 30, 2018 - Java Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are being paid to learn! $500 relocation fee to get there, $500 relocation when they send you to a job site. You pay $110 a week to stay in their housing (apartments). Minimum wage full time for roughly 10 weeks plus however long they stage you (try to place you with a client). While considering a lot of the shade being thrown at Revature, they make this very clear what your earnings are, and they don't understand that Revature is paying you to invest in you. This company profits on training you then contracting you out to mostly other contracting companies. With that being said, the training is excellent. Fully submersive, the trainers are great. 9-5, every day. You'll be constantly going from whiteboard learning, to hands on coding, to doing a homework assignment or project over it on a weekly basis. You will also be expected to memorize and have an in-depth understanding of everything you're doing and have done. You will have an interview, quiz, a quality control session every week, and either homeworks or projects to work on. I consider myself fairly lazy, you will not survive that way. I would say I studied roughly 5 hours a week outside of class and worked on assignments anywhere from 5-20 hours a week outside of class. If you slack, you will be sent home. As they are investing in you, if they don't view you as profitable, they will cut ties with you. This constantly puts pressure on everyone to perform. Once you've completed training, you will move to 'staging' where essentially you're just studying for the OCA exam which they encourage you to take, or prepare for interviews (everyone secretly just plays games). A handful of people usually get hired right out of training, and for my batch in particular, everyone was placed on a client within 3 weeks; although I've heard stories of people waiting almost 3 months. You're given a week to relocate. They mainly have clients on the east coast, but essentially they can send you anywhere and you don't have a choice. Excellent training/trainers Software engineering batch learned an indepth foundationally sound full stack They want you to succeed! (They don't make money off of you if you don't) Met a lot of interesting people and some friends You get a chance to explore, I trained in one state, and worked in another state You will be placed on a big name client Your career should be looking excellent after a 2 year investment with Revature It's essentially like going to the military, get shipped off, make ends meat, but you're set for the rest of your life afterwards They allow for clients to buy you out of contracts (quite a few people end up getting bought out) They allow for government contracts with clearances You will sign a contract that allows for employers to not work you more than 40 hours, and you have to agree to overtime if you want it

Cons

Minimum wage to train to essentially work 40 hours, yet you will spend anywhere from 5-30 hours outside of class a week to study or do work. It isn't easy, they work hard to filter out the people that companies won't want.. even down to appearance. You will be wearing a suit at least once a week. They give you $500 to relocate to a client, very difficult to move all of your belongings and find a place to live off of that 2 year contract with 19k penalty fee for breach, you can't leave them and work for a similar job or company 50k a year is well below industry standard, but you knew that when you signed up for it HR is a joke, many people were screwed around. Told they would be getting their own bedroom, ended up 2 people to a room. Placed in hotels with bed bugs and cockroaches when they ran out of apartments. Good luck with your money, the HR team will manage to screw up your paycheck at least a dozen times while you work for them, they are however, diligent on fixing mistakes

329 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great company that provides a valuable service.

Nov 19, 2020 - Trainer in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Revature provides the opportunity to be paid to train for specific positions that fit the exact needs of their clients. You get exposure to real-world, Agile Team environments while building websites and applications. You will learn much more than just Java, Python, or C#. You'll learn all the technologies needed to create full-stack applications. You then have interviews set up for you. There is no better option out there for people just out of college who need those 2 years of experience or for people switching careers! Revature only makes money when you get a job, so they are heavily invested in your success and offer the support needed to experience it.

Cons

Of course there are sacrifices you have to make in return for the service Revature offers. You have to sign a 2-year contract. I think of it as a highly paid 2-year internship. You will have to move to your job location and can't pick which interview or job you accept. The program is demanding and there is a chance of getting released from the batch (and your contract) if you don't keep up.

Revature Response

Hi and thanks for leaving a review. We appreciate your teamwork and the value you bring daily. Thank you for contributing to our mission that we are so passionate about!

5. 4.0

Revature Alumni

Aug 27, 2020 - Performance Engineer in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A fast way to get you into the tech industry The companies that are looking to hire are, from what I've seen, large and reputable companies that look great on a resume. You're not gonna get sent to some Radio Shack in Alaska or anything. Training is fast paced, forces you to study hard if you don't already know the content. Trial by fire. There is a lot of emphasis on soft skills, which is a valuable skill set to have. You do get paid to do this training, although after housing is taken out it doesn't come out to much. But still its something. Revature provides some assistance with relocation after getting hired by a client. HR (at the Virginia location) was always great and hosted game nights that were very fun during training Studying should be your #1 priority while going through the program, but there is still downtime. I liked checking out the city, catching movies or just hanging out with roommates when not studying.

Cons

After completing training, you still might not know where you will need to move. There was a lot of uncertainty about things after I got allocated to a client, and I was in state of limbo for a bit, just waiting for the call to tell me where to go. There is a 2 year contract, but most from my group got out of it within one year when our current employer hired us on full time.

1 person found this review helpful

Revature Response

Hi and thank you for your review. We appreciate you sharing your detailed experience and are, of course, thrilled to see that overall it was good for you. Thank you for starting your career in tech with Revature and we look forward to keeping in touch with you and following your journey!

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Decent training, but wasn't able to get hired due to lockdowns

Jan 20, 2021 - Software Developer in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Paid training (min wage) -No experience necessary (though familiarity with coding definitely helps) -Housing provided (deducted from pay)

Cons

-As mentioned in title, I wasn't hired on by any clients after training, but I don't blame Revature for that. -Training is challenging and extremely intensive, given you have to cover a TON of info in about 3 months. -It's definitely not for everyone, about 1/3 of my class dropped out by the end of it. -The 2-year contract is fairly standard for companies like this, but still.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Opportunity for people with no experience

Oct 16, 2020 - Java Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Revature really want to see you succeed. They will make the time and effort to help you. The people who complain about how it works, clearly wasn't paying attention. They tell you upfront the downside before you decide to sign the contract. They even give you 10 days before signing to see how you feel about the program. The training can be hard-work but it's worth especially for people with no experience and want to get into programming. But also know if it's something you really want to do.

Cons

There is a 2-year contract and minimum wage during training. But that's something that was told beforehand.

4 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you! We appreciate your feedback and really do love watching all of you succeed. It’s one of the most enjoyable parts of our jobs! Thank you again for being part of our Revature team and allowing us to help launch your career in tech.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

You will learn a lot

Dec 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learn a ton about software development Improve your soft skills Get your foot in the door of the development industry If you have a degree and a desire to learn, they will have a job for you

Cons

2 year contract(they are transparent about this) I personally had experience programming and if I didn't I'm not sure if I could have passed the training. So keep that in mind. It is not an easy program.

Revature Response

Thank you for picking Revature to launch your tech career. We appreciate your feedback and are grateful to provide you with top training. Cheers to all you have accomplished thus far.

9. 4.0

Good place to start.

Jan 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get a good amount of learning experience.

Cons

You have to agree to be in a 2 year contract.

Revature Response

Excellent! Thank you for being a part of our Revature team and we hope to keep in touch with you through our Alumni network. We appreciate your feedback and are very pleased to see that your experience was a great one. Cheers to your continued success.

10. 3.0

Good Starting Point, Bad Price Point

Sep 19, 2019 - .NET Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

They provide exactly what they say, quickly bringing up a fresh college grad to a competent professional level. This is under the assumption that you are keeping up with the bootcamp course load as they will cut you if you can't keep up. I learned more about development/coding in the bootcamp course, then over 4 years in college. After the 2 year contract is up, you should have the confidence and experience to be able to get nearly any job at your level of experience.

Cons

You are SEVERELY underpaid during your mandatory 2 year contract. I was being paid a $50,000 a year salary (with a 10% raise after year 1) when I started, but now I know that people are being started at $45,000 a year (with a 15% raise after year 1). I was placed in the DC Metro area and that place has an extremely high cost of living. If you have any other job offers/opportunities I would suggest take that instead. You'll get paid more and have better benefits HR is trash. They are either late on responses or don't even send the correct paperwork when asked

21 people found this review helpful