Revature Reviews

Updated May 4, 2021

4.0
Revature Chief Executive Officer Ashwin Bharath
Ashwin Bharath
Pros
  • "I had spent 6-9 months full time learning Java,(in 34 reviews)

• "Revature work culture makes it a great place to work(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Realize that you're getting paid a little above minimum wage for your location(in 57 reviews)

• "Which is just a result of the 2 year contract that you sign(in 44 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Revature and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company with a passionate mission

Apr 2, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Revature truly cares about bridging the tech skills gap and placing more qualified individuals in tech roles that lead to thriving careers. It's a great place to work filled with passionate people who are driven by the mission. It's very satisfying to help individual's change their lives who before Revature were not able to obtain positions in the tech industry on their own.

Cons

None. Revature really is a unique business serving a major need.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic kick start to my career

May 18, 2019 - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I graduated with a degree not even remotely related to Computer Science, but had always had a knack for programming. I applied to the boot camp on a whim and ended up being a top performer in their classroom-like training setting. I specifically requested being in a C# training "batch" and they were able to accommodate my request, although a lot of my classmates were upset because they were led to believe they were training in Java technologies. After training (which is very much like a full college course load) there is a process called "Staging" in which you study for certifications and continually take interviews with different companies. This was a grueling and stressful process for me, as I was slated to be placed at multiple companies without the need for interviews, but the contracts fell through, which led to me waiting around the office twiddling my thumbs for a month before being bombarded with interviews one after the other once my managers realized the deals were off. I was eventually placed at a very large and prominent company, however, so I was pretty happy with the result. I did end up moving half way across the country though. They will send you to any client in the continental United States, and you have no choice, so realize that it is a possibility! My contract included a right-to-hire clause, which means the client has the ability to buy out my contract from Revature and I would become an associate at the client company, no longer under my Revature contract. I was also a little different in the sense that my contract was only one year when most people have two year contracts. This was great because I had the opportunity of becoming an employee directly under my client company quickly. Unfortunately, there was a snafu with my client company's fiances and I ended up staying on with Revature for longer than my contract stated. I was okay with this, however, because Revature offered me a significant raise for my second year of employment which was an unexpected, but welcomed surprise. Once on the client's site, I had very little to no contact with Revature. I went two to three months at a time having never spoken to a Revature manager or HR. They kept sending me paychecks and I was doing well at my client company, so I suppose everything was in order anyway. There was also a large amount of other Revature employees at my client company so I didn't feel like I was alone. Coming from a person with a non CS degree, I would say the boot camp is hard but certainly doable for someone who has a basic understanding of programming skills, and more importantly, the ability to learn quickly and a willingness to learn new technologies. This was exactly what I needed to get into the Software Development industry. Had I not gone through Revature, it would have been personally impossible for me to be working as a Software Engineer at the company I am today, and I mean that sincerely.

Cons

- 2 year contract - Underpaid for the industry standard. If you have a CS degree and the relative skills to land a position, you're probably better off finding a job on your own. - I never had an issues with my paycheck, clients, or other business, but there is a lack of HR support across the company for employees on projects. They are working to improve this, but I've seen colleagues struggle with HR problems that should be easily addressable. - Until you finish training and start making money for the company, you are very much treated like an expendable commodity. If they don't think you'll be a desirable employee for a software company, they'll cut you loose during training.

242 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Excellent! Thank you so much for leaving a detailed review. We appreciate all of your feedback and are so thrilled that we were able to launch your career in tech to offer you a complete career change! We are also happy to share that we too wanted to be more in touch with our employees on projects and we now have many different meetings throughout one’s time on project for us to connect, check in and provide support. We celebrate in your successes thus far and for those yet to come as we know your career is just getting started!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's not a scam, but make sure it's right for you.

May 1, 2020 - Revature Associate in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For reference, I completed the training today, and I'm officially in staging (Staging = the time in between finishing training and joining a client, aka a 'project'). The P3 showcase (which is technically the fourth project, since it's 0 indexed) happened yesterday for me. To preface this review, let me start off by saying that I have seen and read likely the majority of reviews of Revature, whether on Glassdoor, Indeed, or YouTube. I was actually pretty hesitant coming into the program, but I decided I'd go for it, since I heard from a recruiter that there is a week before any contract signing so you can see if it's a fit for you. In that regard, the recruiter that contacts you answers any relevant questions you may have about the company structure. I'd also note that I am a psych major with very limited programming experience prior to Revature. I took some classes in college for fun, and that was about it. Now, I've seen numerous reviews stating how it's a scam, or that they fire everyone at the first slip-up, or that the training is impossible, the trainers are horrible, amongst other things. Let me try to set the record straight... - Regarding "it's a scam." Bluntly put, it's not a scam. They're actually pretty transparent about what they offer, though it's not for everyone. It's a long term commitment of 2 years, plus training / staging, where training/staging is low pay. If you aren't prepared for that, I do not suggest applyinh. - Regarding "they fire everyone at the first slip up." I'm sure many of us have seen 'that one' reddit post. This is not true. In my batch of 20, 3 left. 2 of those got fired because they failed 2 projects in a row-- the project didn't start due to bugs. The 3rd left because of some technical verification issue with college or something. If you put in the work, you'll make it. In my roommate's other batch, 4 got fired-- they just didn't present any project one of the times and said to skip over them. There are weekly one-on-one meetings with the trainer, or whenever you feel you need them. After a project, the trainer will have a 1-on-1 with each batch member. If your performance was lacking, generally due to a project, the trainer will talk to you about it and send a warning. If you continue to perform poorly, that's when you get fired. I didn't feel like I was under constant threat of being fired. If you think about it, Revature actually doesn't want to fire you, since the associate's are their product. Revature only gets money for the associate once the person is hired with the company... so they have financial reasoning for wanting you to succeed. - Regarding "the training is impossible." It's doable, and you can get through it together with your batch mates. (Tip: Network! Interact with batchmates! Ask questions to the trainer when confused!) However, it certainly isn't easy. I go more into that below in cons. - Regarding the "trainers are horrible." (I've also seen variations in reviews, saying HR is bad or whatnot). I didn't have that issue, but I imagine that's also going to depend on the trainer assigned. The trainer you are assigned sticks with you throughout the 10 weeks. It's like a college class in that sense-- some teachers are better than others. I personally had an excellent trainer. He'd crack jokes along the way and made the experience probably the most fun I've ever had programming. I didn't have any issues with HR either, but I never interacted with them much. They gave surveys throughout the training, so they at least seems perceptive of feedback. Revature is right for you if... -- You don't have a tech background but still want to join the industry. -- You do have a tech background, don't have any experience, and have issues with being taken seriously for a job application. -- You're one of the two above, and you are willing to really push yourself for 10 weeks for the long term payout. -- You don't have any long term commitments where you're at, and can move fairly straightforwardly. (i.e. relationship is solid, can be away from family, no long term contracts on housing you can break) -- You don't necessarily need significant amount of money right off the bat, but are willing to invest in long term. -- You want to develop the soft skills alongside the technical background. Let me go over my experience with training in a general overview. People seem often confused on how the program works. Step 1: Move to your assigned location. Mine was Arlington, but can also be other places. I was able to list a preference to my recruiter, since I'm already in Texas, but there are no guarantees. You may be in West Virginia, then you have to move. The move date is settled with the recruiter for what works for you and what works for them. Had a $250 moving stipend. Step 2: Revature housing. Revature housing for me was a student apartments right next to UTA. Rent was $15 a day and automatically deducted from paycheck, so pretty great deal in my opinion. I roomed with 3 other guys, all in various batches. That was nice, since I could get help from them on understanding the process further. Of course, it's potluck roommates, so each experience will differ. Step 3: Go through your first week of training. You'll get all the HR / logistics talks along with what to expect. The 2 year contract isn't signed until week 2. Pay attention. They don't really sweet talk you. They're pretty blunt about what they offer and expect, so that can give you an idea of if it's truly right for you. Step 4: Weeks of training-- project, QC, learning, occasional quiz. You'll have 4 projects, each building on top of each other. Some day in the week each week, you'll have a QC / quality-control. A trainer and person from HR goes in your batch classroom, has each person stand one by one, and the trainer asks questions to the person about the previous week. It's usually 3-5ish questions. Seems scary at first, but it really does prepare you for interviews and talking about your technical side of things. Step 5: Near the end of training-- portfolio, panel interview, project showcase. At the end, you create a professional level portfolio displaying all the info you worked on. Revature guides through the process. Panel interview is a mock interview before your real one. It's sort of like an hour-long QC. Project showcase is a presentation of your P3 that you worked on with your group. Then you're done, and you move on to staging and client interviews.

Cons

Training is not easy. That much is clear. I'd equate the training to something akin to a coding bootcamp. Over the course of 10 weeks, my batch (aka class) was introduced to multiple languages and technologies. You're basically learning from 9-5, with a lunch break from 12ish-1ish, plus generally some small 10-15 minute breaks throughout. If you can absorb complex information as it's presented, that's great. For me and pretty much everyone else, however, we had to study outside of class. That being said, they do pay the lunch hour, and that's essentially how the company justifies the additional work. Whether that's truly worth it, I leave that to you. Generally, I spent about 2 additional hours a weekday doing work / studying. If a project was rolling around, that sometimes boosted to about 3 or 4 hours a day, depending on how many issues I was having with the project. If I had no project, I didn't work on weekends. If I had a project, it depended on the project. The projects felt kind of like ones I had during college, but instead of the project being focused on 'logic,' like writing a Huffsman compression algorithm, it's more so based on how to build an application, like building a web app using a specific architecture while utilizing several languages. The pay is not going to be much for training. Realize that you're getting paid a little above minimum wage for your location. It boosts up significantly once you get put in a project after interviewing and whatnot though. If you look at it like a bootcamp, it's worth it in the sense you're getting paid to learn, but just be aware it's low paying right off the bat. Let me talk about the contract. So you have a 2 year + training contract signed on the 2nd week. Once it's signed, you're locked in. If it's not a mutual termination from both parties, you'll be paying upwards of $30k+ in termination fees. That being said, it's considered a mutual termination if you are fired or if a medical emergency happens. Clients sometimes buy you out of your contract when you're on the job. Revature is wrong for you if... -- You have commitments or ties to your current place that you cannot spend significant time away from said place. -- You are looking for a job that pays well immediately. -- You are looking for a job that doesn't challenge you too extensively. -- You are looking for a job that doesn't require much interaction with people or asking for help. -- You want to be able to quit your job at any time without repercussions. Be aware of what you're getting into. It's a legitimate job, and you can grow from it.

126 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience in detail and for choosing Revature to help kickstart your career in tech!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not a Scam, but you should know what you're getting into

Apr 21, 2021 - Associate in Madison, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Environment to meet likeminded developers all striving for a similar goal. - Training that adds real world skills to people's kit. - Paid while in training. - Most of the people in the company are pretty cool that I've run into.

Cons

- My friend was let go because his college revoked his degree because of some class he failed, and Revature let them go even though they were competent and trying. So I have a bit of disdain for the obsession with college degrees. - It's intense and you will be doing out of class work. People were getting let go from training because their first and second projects didn't meet nearly enough requirements (they were bad to be fair, and these people were often very behind in training). So we knew our projects had to be good, but during the day we were mostly learning. Then you kind of end up in a situation where you're both expected to, and kind of on edge enough that you definitely end up spending some of the weekend working on these projects, as well as after work a bit. There is definitely a lot of stress in this regard, to keep your performance up. A lot of my friends were worried about getting fired throughout the process, so we definitely banded together, somewhat out of necessity.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

Survivor-Like Training, But Guaranteed Interviews with Companies

Apr 21, 2021 - .NET Full Stack Developer in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Guaranteed interviews with tech companies for people with knowledge but no work experience in the field. You get paid to be trained, albeit minimum wage. Good insurance benefits, but they don't start until after your 10-12 weeks of training.

Cons

Hardest 10 weeks of my life. I didn't have a Computer Science degree, so almost everything we learned was new. It's not going to be easy if you do have a CS degree, and if you don't, it's almost impossible. Our 'batch' was whittled down from 25 to 13 people, so just over 50% retained. Granted, 5 chose to leave before signing the contract on the 8th day of training. You never knew who would be 'let go' next. Our trainer actually taught for maybe 2 hours a day- for the rest he would give us links to learn on our own. Some reinforcement and exercises would have been nice. Redo your mistake-riddled quizzes. Our trainer said these questions had been there forever (where 2 answers could be correct, or none of them are technically correct), but no one ever fixed them. Minimum wage during 10-12 weeks of training.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

They are what they say they are

Apr 21, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

I got paid by them to train for 10 weeks, and I have been placed with a client company, so it's all turning out how they said it would. I don't know if working with this client will be a good or bad experience, but it will be experience. I have a bachelor's degree in CS and I was unable to find a job after graduation, and this is honestly going to help clear that first job hurdle. I have learned a lot, and made some good friends amongst my other teammates that were in training with me. Insurance benefits come along with the job so I'm grateful for that.

Cons

The structure was ok, but often times a little lacking. There is a mindset of "learn how to learn" which was often repeated when our trainer was in meetings during a lot of the training time and we were just left to fend for ourselves. It's a little weird that the trainers have a lot of meetings away from the class time, but I don't know everything that goes on in the company. Weekly mock interview process can be fairly strict on definitions and such, and feel very stressful.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great to get your foot in the door

Dec 5, 2019 - Business Analyst in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worth it. Honestly, I owe it to Revature for getting my foot in the door in this field. They have big clients, great exposure, and amazing training and staff. Granted the pay is no where near the national average but that’s something you have to make peace with before signing the contract. They tell you what your pay will be, and once you’re on a project you will be working with people (non-revature) who do the same thing as you, and get paid way more but that’s part of the deal. Another thing you need to make peace with is that they can send you literally anywhere within the US so if you’re stuck in a state you don’t like, oh well. But remember why you did this, to build your career and get your foot in the door so if you keep that in mind, it won’t feel as terrible. If you can afford to invest 2 years of your time (possibly less, depending on if client buys you out or not) then it will be so so worth it.

Cons

I would say the unknowns (who’s the client, when’s my start date, where’s the location) but there’s nothing revature can really do about that because most of the time you’ll be working for the clients client so it’s up to them to decide where your project will be.

75 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thanks for your feedback and for allowing us to improve. We're THRILLED that you enjoyed your Revature experience, and we're reviewing how we can address your advice. Revature exists to help motivated people like yourself get over the hump of not having 2-3 years of experience (which happens a lot in entry-level positions), so anytime we can jumpstart a career, we've done our job. Please continue to keep in touch; we can't wait to hear the great things in store for you!

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

It’s a gamble. Only consider if you’re desperate.

Apr 20, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

The trainer (Adam) was awesome. Can’t speak to any other trainers. QA was cool. Batch-mates were all good, smart people. Learned an incredible amount in a short span of time, and formed some lasting connections.

Cons

You get no say in anything that’s of imperative importance. I applied for a Software ENGINEER position, and got placed in a “Big Data” batch. Okay, fine, a Big Data Software Engineer is fine. Learned Scala/Java, Spark, SQL, Hive, Hadoop, Python — all sorts of components of software engineering and data pipelines. Cool! Nope. Now I’m placed with Infosys doing... TECH SUPPORT and dealing with code 0% of the time. Nice. I LEFT tech support to get a computer science/software engineering job. They also promised a free t-shirt to everyone, and no one got it. Of course this is not important, but if they can’t that get that right, do you trust them with the 2 full years you have sell your soul to them/Infosys, else you pay them $30,000? Oh and they make you wear suits in training, which is currently work from home. Get a clue, that’s just weird, and not indicative of attire in the field whatsoever.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Solid Stepping Stone

Feb 21, 2021 - Full Stack Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Revature will hire just about anyone who is willing to commit. The same cannot be said for the tech industry as a whole. Even entry level jobs will demand "X years of Y experience" that you likely don't have if you are considering this contracting company. Or maybe you aren't strong with the technical/white board portion of interviews. Feel free to apply around and prove me wrong, but remember this offer if you grow weary. Revature will train you, set up interviews with companies that would otherwise laugh you off, and even encourages conversion to direct employment under such companies. We're talking about going from no experience to working for fortune 500 companies, government projects, and other big players.

Cons

This package comes with a relatively lower salary for your duration as a contractor (until you onboard successfully with your client) and a two year contract enforced by a 10000$ fine, should you choose to break it. Oh, and there is a 9 week basic training process during which you can be laid off for weak performance. This may seem harsh, but the skills they teach are so fundamental that it is hard to believe you have any potential as a developer if you can't pass. Even some people who DO pass turn out to be rather lousy devs. You have to be hungry to continuously learn and outperform in the tech industry, and Revature is no different. They will accept you quickly, but no one is holding your hand.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Its a great place to work but not for everyone

Mar 19, 2021 - Pega Senior Systems Architect
      Business Outlook

Pros

Revature is a great place to learn new technologies but it is definitely not for everyone. When I started out I was overwhelmed with all the information that they were throwing at us, but eventually you get used to it. I also had great batchmates who were very supporting throughout training and helped and pushed me to get through the training. As a Pega developer I was trained in Java, SQL, HTML/CSS, Java script, Web Services and Pega. I was also required to get the CSA certification and an optional CSSA. Overall you have three bug projects one of which is a full stack java app and the other two are Pega projects. After 10 weeks of training you start interviewing with Revature's clients after which you would work with client's projects. Overall its a great place to learn new technologies and get experience.

Cons

While Revature is a great learning environment it can be difficult to cope with the pace of training. Along with the 8 hours training you have to spend at least a couple hours daily to keep up. The pay isnt great either so its definitely not for everyone.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 784 Reviews

Popular Careers with Revature Job Seekers

Software Engineer
    JobsSalariesInterviews
    Entry Level Software Engineer
    Entry Level Software Developer
    Learn About the Job
    Front End Developer (Entry Level)
    Entry Level Business Analyst