KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Revature

Is this your company?

Revature

Add a Review

Revature Employee Reviews about "java"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 45 of over 1,041 reviews

3.9
Revature Chief Executive Officer Ashwin Bharath
Ashwin Bharath
Pros
  • "I had spent 6-9 months full time learning Java,(in 34 reviews)

• "Revature work culture makes it a great place to work(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Realize that you're getting paid a little above minimum wage for your location(in 57 reviews)

• "Which is just a result of the 2 year contract that you sign(in 44 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Revature and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "java"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A good opportunity for people willing to work hard with the right expectations

Jan 21, 2021 - Associate Java Developer in Rochester, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The training was very thorough and the trainer was knowledgable and could answer all questions I had and inform us of relevant industry technologies/practices. - Revature's training system made it easy to study the material. All the notes were well organized and matched what Revature expected us to know. - By the end of training, I had a much better understanding of Backend and Frontend technologies. I had spent 6-9 months full time learning Java, Java Enterprise Edition, and JSF on my own to make a simple web application to show employers. After this period, I had good exposure to web/backend technologies, but Revature's training in Hibernate, JavaScript, Spring and Angular really helped fill in the blanks for me and make me employable. - I was a career changer without a CS degree who had an IT related job, but wanted to get into development. I think that this was a great opportunity for me to gain experience and learn.

Cons

- Relocating for training was something I avoided since I trained during Covid and we worked remotely from home. This would be a con as it can be difficult to relocate for training. - Training pay is low, although it is understandable considering that Revature has to pay its trainees, whereas a lot of training programs actually charge their trainees. After training (2.5 months), once you are placed with a client, pay goes up to 45k for the 1st year with a client and 60k for the second year(10k more for high cost of living areas). Although that is below industry standards, you gain really valuable experience and it is really a pretty decent salary for the start of your career. You also get health and dental insurance. - Training can be difficult and you need to keep up and understand that the 10-12 weeks will be a challenge, but you can learn a lot in that time. It is very much a bootcamp experience, but if you do not keep up, you can be let go (with no penalty). Only a couple of people in my batch of 25 were let go though. I think this program could be difficult if you did not have any knowledge of programming languages and technologies coming in, unless you were a quick learner.

6 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Great! Thank you for the detailed review. We are so excited to be bridging the gap for career changers, as well. We appreciate you choosing Revature to launch your tech career and congrats!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic kick start to my career

May 18, 2019 - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I graduated with a degree not even remotely related to Computer Science, but had always had a knack for programming. I applied to the boot camp on a whim and ended up being a top performer in their classroom-like training setting. I specifically requested being in a C# training "batch" and they were able to accommodate my request, although a lot of my classmates were upset because they were led to believe they were training in Java technologies. After training (which is very much like a full college course load) there is a process called "Staging" in which you study for certifications and continually take interviews with different companies. This was a grueling and stressful process for me, as I was slated to be placed at multiple companies without the need for interviews, but the contracts fell through, which led to me waiting around the office twiddling my thumbs for a month before being bombarded with interviews one after the other once my managers realized the deals were off. I was eventually placed at a very large and prominent company, however, so I was pretty happy with the result. I did end up moving half way across the country though. They will send you to any client in the continental United States, and you have no choice, so realize that it is a possibility! My contract included a right-to-hire clause, which means the client has the ability to buy out my contract from Revature and I would become an associate at the client company, no longer under my Revature contract. I was also a little different in the sense that my contract was only one year when most people have two year contracts. This was great because I had the opportunity of becoming an employee directly under my client company quickly. Unfortunately, there was a snafu with my client company's fiances and I ended up staying on with Revature for longer than my contract stated. I was okay with this, however, because Revature offered me a significant raise for my second year of employment which was an unexpected, but welcomed surprise. Once on the client's site, I had very little to no contact with Revature. I went two to three months at a time having never spoken to a Revature manager or HR. They kept sending me paychecks and I was doing well at my client company, so I suppose everything was in order anyway. There was also a large amount of other Revature employees at my client company so I didn't feel like I was alone. Coming from a person with a non CS degree, I would say the boot camp is hard but certainly doable for someone who has a basic understanding of programming skills, and more importantly, the ability to learn quickly and a willingness to learn new technologies. This was exactly what I needed to get into the Software Development industry. Had I not gone through Revature, it would have been personally impossible for me to be working as a Software Engineer at the company I am today, and I mean that sincerely.

Cons

- 2 year contract - Underpaid for the industry standard. If you have a CS degree and the relative skills to land a position, you're probably better off finding a job on your own. - I never had an issues with my paycheck, clients, or other business, but there is a lack of HR support across the company for employees on projects. They are working to improve this, but I've seen colleagues struggle with HR problems that should be easily addressable. - Until you finish training and start making money for the company, you are very much treated like an expendable commodity. If they don't think you'll be a desirable employee for a software company, they'll cut you loose during training.

256 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Excellent! Thank you so much for leaving a detailed review. We appreciate all of your feedback and are so thrilled that we were able to launch your career in tech to offer you a complete career change! We are also happy to share that we too wanted to be more in touch with our employees on projects and we now have many different meetings throughout one’s time on project for us to connect, check in and provide support. We celebrate in your successes thus far and for those yet to come as we know your career is just getting started!

3. 4.0
      Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Excellent situation for working from home

Jan 21, 2021 - Software Engineering Associate in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I did not have a CS degree but was able to be trained by Revature to be able to build APIs, websites, and databases with a Java, Angular, Hibernate and Spring codebase over the course of just 9 weeks. I am very impressed, though I do not yet know how effective Revature will be at placing me with a company. I have no regret about working here considering the pandemic.

Cons

Training is incredibly intense. You can obtain a lot of knowledge, but only if you are working as hard as necessary. I'm not sure that I would have been able to meet the demands if I had also recently moved to dorm with my training batch, as Revature policy used to require.

Revature Response

Thank you! We are most pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to anyone with the right attitude and aptitude. Congrats on all you have achieved thus far.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great company that provides a valuable service.

Nov 19, 2020 - Trainer in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Revature provides the opportunity to be paid to train for specific positions that fit the exact needs of their clients. You get exposure to real-world, Agile Team environments while building websites and applications. You will learn much more than just Java, Python, or C#. You'll learn all the technologies needed to create full-stack applications. You then have interviews set up for you. There is no better option out there for people just out of college who need those 2 years of experience or for people switching careers! Revature only makes money when you get a job, so they are heavily invested in your success and offer the support needed to experience it.

Cons

Of course there are sacrifices you have to make in return for the service Revature offers. You have to sign a 2-year contract. I think of it as a highly paid 2-year internship. You will have to move to your job location and can't pick which interview or job you accept. The program is demanding and there is a chance of getting released from the batch (and your contract) if you don't keep up.

Revature Response

Hi and thanks for leaving a review. We appreciate your teamwork and the value you bring daily. Thank you for contributing to our mission that we are so passionate about!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Introduction to Java web technologies and tools

Jan 21, 2021 - Full Stack Web Developer in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Friendly trainer and batch members (i.e. classmates) - Intro to industry-standard Java tools - Ability to gain job experience rapidly

Cons

- Uncertainty related to client interviews and client-prep interviews - Implication of working outside working hours to get stuff done (we seemed to be in crunch time nearly always)

Revature Response

Thank you! We appreciate your feedback and are really pleased to see that you've had a great experience.

6. 4.0

Great Option for Career Changers

Apr 23, 2020 - Full-Stack Software Engineer Trainee in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You're paid to learn. If you're coming from a career which affords you little to no free time to study code on your own, this is a fantastic option; the pay can help keep you stable as you learn the skills. Also, if you have a degree (any degree) and aren't making decent use of it, I'd strongly recommend Revature. - Training is wholesome and covers content actively used in industry. The staff fully supports the trainees, since after all the trainees are what drive the success of the company through the income-share agreement. - Remote work became a reality for Revature post-Covid 19.

Cons

- It's like a bootcamp, so expect to work very hard on projects. You might have sleepless nights. I stayed up over 20hrs for two days in a row to pound out one project to sufficient completion. But that's just me. I came in with little foundational knowledge but with a burning passion to change my life that motivated me. So work-life balance isn't optimal, but that's expected. You work hard during training to earn the work-life balance later. - The Revature Pro website used throughout training is buggy, oddly enough. - Housing arrangements can be chaotic; people can get moved around from one company housing space to another. - Training is very fast-paced. For Java, if you're not in an "Extended" Batch, be wary that you will need a fairly decent knowledge of the core language fundamentals. It can be too fast-paced for beginners. I would suggest "Extended" Batches to those very fresh to the language they will be using. They provide two extra weeks of fundamental core language training. The "Extended" Batches are 12 weeks and the Normal Batches are 9 or 10 weeks.

Revature Response

We are thrilled you had a positive experience and we couldn’t agree more that you get what you put in! We are so thankful we were able to go remote during this time in order to sustain our commitment and we also appreciate your feedback and will work to improve the website. Again, thanks for choosing Revature; we are very proud to watch your journey and all that you become in the industry!

7. 4.0

Intense Training?

Apr 21, 2020 - Full Stack Java Developer in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am near the end of my training for the full stack java development program. The training is very intense. Be prepared to spend almost every waking moment studying, completing projects or at least thinking about your projects. The QC (quality control) team, who will ask you questions weekly, are rough. They don't take prisoners. Don't guess at the answer or they'll keep asking you questions, allowing you to dig your own grave. Saying you don't know isn't great either, so knowing the material is very important to staying in the program. However, you learn a ton in the 12 weeks and they really do make you a great developer, if you put in the work.

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage pay for the three months of training, and little-to-no control on placement. I was beyond scared when it came to signing the contract, but after going through the program, the education is worth the uncertainty. Of course, I haven't actually been placed with a company yet, so there is still time to get screwed. Fingers crossed I don't end up in Maine. Would recommend the program if: You're serious about getting a career quickly and are willing to put in the work You don't have an immediate need for money. Paying a mortgage on minimum wage is tough (I know from experience). You are willing to move anywhere for a couple years. Most placements are east coast but that is changing.

3 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

We are happy to see that your experience with us was a positive one and appreciate the detailed review. Your feedback helps us to implement change so thank you. We are proud of you for making it through the intense training and look forward to watching your career progress as a result!

8. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Can get you in the door but know your rights

Jan 13, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can get you in the field if you have no prior experience

Cons

- They violate employee rights and change rules that aren’t in contract regarding pay. Always communicate via email so you have a paper trail If things end up in court. - I was pretty good with Java going in. Still needed to put about 60-70 hours per week. (Not 40 at all) - they lied to me and told me housing was covered. After I quit my job and moved to Texas, I was asked to sign a housing contract where 400 of my minimum wage was taken out for housing. Also you will not get paid for any extra hours worked.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Current Employee

(Java / React ) Haven't been placed with a client yet, but a positive experience so far.

Dec 4, 2020 - Full Stack Web Developer in South Florida, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Revature is a fairly quick way to get a start in this industry. Just know that the training will most likely consume all of your time and energy for about two-ish months. - My trainer's name was Robert Connell; awesome guy. Definitely helps that I also had awesome batchmates. I just hope they same happens for you. - I was pretty scared at first after hearing about the awful pay and crazy high fee you have to pay if your breach your contract. Not to mention my over-joyous recruiter saying "Congratulations, you made it into the program!!! Pat yourself on the back man!" at least three times. Definitely sketchy at first, but the fact of the matter is that they reeeaaally want to make you marketable; to ultimately make money off of you. They do not hide this fact at all. However for me being in my position, this is not a bad thing in the slightest. Many people will probably disagree with me here, but I have 100000% no issue with being "used" by a company that is doing everything they can to get me a job. Not that I can't motivate myself, but having a support group that PAYS you and more-or-less guarantee's you a job in this economic situation, is pretty nice. Big fan, especially during a time when almost all of the jobs that they're selecting for you are remote only. - Assuming you make it through, you will no doubt come out of this program knowing how to create an entire web application and be able to properly deploy it ALL by yourself. Mind you that almost every person in my batch who started ended up making it through. - Even if you do get mutually released for whatever reason (not that I encourage anyone to do this intentionally), it isn't as though your web development journey is over. You can still learn and find your way into the industry using the knowledge you gained while in training. Frankly, the most important takeaway from this training for me was learning how to learn anyhow. - Just know that after your first project presentation, it gets better. Things really calm down once you reach the final project. Not that you shouldn't still work as hard as before, just know that you'll be working with a larger team so you should have a bit more free time.

Cons

- I was a 4.0 student in college (with a CS minor) who thought they had mastered time management, but even for me it was hard to have time to both study for our weekly QC / quizzes AND work on the actual projects. The projects themselves required soooo much of my time. It was really hard to find a balance. Maybe this was just due to me having super high standards for my own work, so this may not apply to many of you out there, but just be prepared to have time to study 80+ flashcards a week on top of spending all the rest of your time nailing these 4 projects. - The pay during training is rough in theory, but fortunately I was living with my parents at the time so getting paid minimum wage really wasn't that bad. I did have to keep working at my second job for the first two months though since you don't have access to your benefits until after that time period. If 45k a year doesn't sound nice to you for a job right out of college, fair enough. For me however, that's more money than I've ever dreamed of having, and it only goes waaay up from there. I may have high standards, but in this economic situation, I will gladly take 45K for the first year. - I read other reviews before I started here and I don't remember a single one of them warning me that the first week you're technically assigned TWO projects. One of them is really just more of an assignment where you write algorithms in Java, but having to do that, work on the actual project AND study 80+ flashcards was more than I was expecting for the first week.

3 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you for your review and congratulations on all you have achieved thus far. We appreciate your feedback and are so happy to see that your experience has been so positive. Revature is invested in increasing jobs and bridging the employment gap in the tech industry for all people with the right attitude and aptitude. We value each associate, each client and each corporate employee and we thank you so much for being a part of our team. Cheers!

10. 4.0

Starting my career

Jan 7, 2021 - Software Developer in North Lauderdale, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Renewed my skills in java, postgresql and javascript. Taught me new skills not learned in college. Mock interviews to help me prepare for client interviews. Adequate compensation and health benefits. Set me up with clients to be interviewed

Cons

The wording of the employment contract is a little daunting

Revature Response

Thank you for sharing. We are so glad to see that Revature has been a great experience for you and we thank you for being part of our team and allowing us to launch your tech career. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your continued successes!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 Reviews