KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Revature

Is this your company?

Revature

Add a Review

Revature Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 66 of over 1,034 reviews

3.9
Revature Chief Executive Officer Ashwin Bharath
Ashwin Bharath
Pros
  • "I had spent 6-9 months full time learning Java,(in 34 reviews)

• "Revature work culture makes it a great place to work(in 33 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Realize that you're getting paid a little above minimum wage for your location(in 57 reviews)

• "Which is just a result of the 2 year contract that you sign(in 44 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Revature and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

A Great Way to Jumpstart your Career

Dec 4, 2020 - Full Stack Software Engineer in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Their training is top-notch. The internal Revature community is positive and wants you to succeed. They pay you minimum wage, yes, but when do you ever get paid to learn, and then get job placement assistance?

Cons

It's incredibly hard work. If you're not ready to spend 10 weeks grinding to prove you can learn technologies at a shockingly fast pace, don't bother applying.

1 person found this review helpful

Revature Response

Cheers to all of your success thus far! We are thrilled to receive this feedback and are motivated by your accomplishments. Thank you for choosing Revature to launch your career in tech.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's not a scam, but make sure it's right for you.

May 1, 2020 - Revature Associate in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

For reference, I completed the training today, and I'm officially in staging (Staging = the time in between finishing training and joining a client, aka a 'project'). The P3 showcase (which is technically the fourth project, since it's 0 indexed) happened yesterday for me. To preface this review, let me start off by saying that I have seen and read likely the majority of reviews of Revature, whether on Glassdoor, Indeed, or YouTube. I was actually pretty hesitant coming into the program, but I decided I'd go for it, since I heard from a recruiter that there is a week before any contract signing so you can see if it's a fit for you. In that regard, the recruiter that contacts you answers any relevant questions you may have about the company structure. I'd also note that I am a psych major with very limited programming experience prior to Revature. I took some classes in college for fun, and that was about it. Now, I've seen numerous reviews stating how it's a scam, or that they fire everyone at the first slip-up, or that the training is impossible, the trainers are horrible, amongst other things. Let me try to set the record straight... - Regarding "it's a scam." Bluntly put, it's not a scam. They're actually pretty transparent about what they offer, though it's not for everyone. It's a long term commitment of 2 years, plus training / staging, where training/staging is low pay. If you aren't prepared for that, I do not suggest applyinh. - Regarding "they fire everyone at the first slip up." I'm sure many of us have seen 'that one' reddit post. This is not true. In my batch of 20, 3 left. 2 of those got fired because they failed 2 projects in a row-- the project didn't start due to bugs. The 3rd left because of some technical verification issue with college or something. If you put in the work, you'll make it. In my roommate's other batch, 4 got fired-- they just didn't present any project one of the times and said to skip over them. There are weekly one-on-one meetings with the trainer, or whenever you feel you need them. After a project, the trainer will have a 1-on-1 with each batch member. If your performance was lacking, generally due to a project, the trainer will talk to you about it and send a warning. If you continue to perform poorly, that's when you get fired. I didn't feel like I was under constant threat of being fired. If you think about it, Revature actually doesn't want to fire you, since the associate's are their product. Revature only gets money for the associate once the person is hired with the company... so they have financial reasoning for wanting you to succeed. - Regarding "the training is impossible." It's doable, and you can get through it together with your batch mates. (Tip: Network! Interact with batchmates! Ask questions to the trainer when confused!) However, it certainly isn't easy. I go more into that below in cons. - Regarding the "trainers are horrible." (I've also seen variations in reviews, saying HR is bad or whatnot). I didn't have that issue, but I imagine that's also going to depend on the trainer assigned. The trainer you are assigned sticks with you throughout the 10 weeks. It's like a college class in that sense-- some teachers are better than others. I personally had an excellent trainer. He'd crack jokes along the way and made the experience probably the most fun I've ever had programming. I didn't have any issues with HR either, but I never interacted with them much. They gave surveys throughout the training, so they at least seems perceptive of feedback. Revature is right for you if... -- You don't have a tech background but still want to join the industry. -- You do have a tech background, don't have any experience, and have issues with being taken seriously for a job application. -- You're one of the two above, and you are willing to really push yourself for 10 weeks for the long term payout. -- You don't have any long term commitments where you're at, and can move fairly straightforwardly. (i.e. relationship is solid, can be away from family, no long term contracts on housing you can break) -- You don't necessarily need significant amount of money right off the bat, but are willing to invest in long term. -- You want to develop the soft skills alongside the technical background. Let me go over my experience with training in a general overview. People seem often confused on how the program works. Step 1: Move to your assigned location. Mine was Arlington, but can also be other places. I was able to list a preference to my recruiter, since I'm already in Texas, but there are no guarantees. You may be in West Virginia, then you have to move. The move date is settled with the recruiter for what works for you and what works for them. Had a $250 moving stipend. Step 2: Revature housing. Revature housing for me was a student apartments right next to UTA. Rent was $15 a day and automatically deducted from paycheck, so pretty great deal in my opinion. I roomed with 3 other guys, all in various batches. That was nice, since I could get help from them on understanding the process further. Of course, it's potluck roommates, so each experience will differ. Step 3: Go through your first week of training. You'll get all the HR / logistics talks along with what to expect. The 2 year contract isn't signed until week 2. Pay attention. They don't really sweet talk you. They're pretty blunt about what they offer and expect, so that can give you an idea of if it's truly right for you. Step 4: Weeks of training-- project, QC, learning, occasional quiz. You'll have 4 projects, each building on top of each other. Some day in the week each week, you'll have a QC / quality-control. A trainer and person from HR goes in your batch classroom, has each person stand one by one, and the trainer asks questions to the person about the previous week. It's usually 3-5ish questions. Seems scary at first, but it really does prepare you for interviews and talking about your technical side of things. Step 5: Near the end of training-- portfolio, panel interview, project showcase. At the end, you create a professional level portfolio displaying all the info you worked on. Revature guides through the process. Panel interview is a mock interview before your real one. It's sort of like an hour-long QC. Project showcase is a presentation of your P3 that you worked on with your group. Then you're done, and you move on to staging and client interviews.

Cons

Training is not easy. That much is clear. I'd equate the training to something akin to a coding bootcamp. Over the course of 10 weeks, my batch (aka class) was introduced to multiple languages and technologies. You're basically learning from 9-5, with a lunch break from 12ish-1ish, plus generally some small 10-15 minute breaks throughout. If you can absorb complex information as it's presented, that's great. For me and pretty much everyone else, however, we had to study outside of class. That being said, they do pay the lunch hour, and that's essentially how the company justifies the additional work. Whether that's truly worth it, I leave that to you. Generally, I spent about 2 additional hours a weekday doing work / studying. If a project was rolling around, that sometimes boosted to about 3 or 4 hours a day, depending on how many issues I was having with the project. If I had no project, I didn't work on weekends. If I had a project, it depended on the project. The projects felt kind of like ones I had during college, but instead of the project being focused on 'logic,' like writing a Huffsman compression algorithm, it's more so based on how to build an application, like building a web app using a specific architecture while utilizing several languages. The pay is not going to be much for training. Realize that you're getting paid a little above minimum wage for your location. It boosts up significantly once you get put in a project after interviewing and whatnot though. If you look at it like a bootcamp, it's worth it in the sense you're getting paid to learn, but just be aware it's low paying right off the bat. Let me talk about the contract. So you have a 2 year + training contract signed on the 2nd week. Once it's signed, you're locked in. If it's not a mutual termination from both parties, you'll be paying upwards of $30k+ in termination fees. That being said, it's considered a mutual termination if you are fired or if a medical emergency happens. Clients sometimes buy you out of your contract when you're on the job. Revature is wrong for you if... -- You have commitments or ties to your current place that you cannot spend significant time away from said place. -- You are looking for a job that pays well immediately. -- You are looking for a job that doesn't challenge you too extensively. -- You are looking for a job that doesn't require much interaction with people or asking for help. -- You want to be able to quit your job at any time without repercussions. Be aware of what you're getting into. It's a legitimate job, and you can grow from it.

186 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience in detail and for choosing Revature to help kickstart your career in tech!

3. 4.0
      Former Freelancer, more than 1 year

Brutally honest full review of Revature

Mar 30, 2018 - Java Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are being paid to learn! $500 relocation fee to get there, $500 relocation when they send you to a job site. You pay $110 a week to stay in their housing (apartments). Minimum wage full time for roughly 10 weeks plus however long they stage you (try to place you with a client). While considering a lot of the shade being thrown at Revature, they make this very clear what your earnings are, and they don't understand that Revature is paying you to invest in you. This company profits on training you then contracting you out to mostly other contracting companies. With that being said, the training is excellent. Fully submersive, the trainers are great. 9-5, every day. You'll be constantly going from whiteboard learning, to hands on coding, to doing a homework assignment or project over it on a weekly basis. You will also be expected to memorize and have an in-depth understanding of everything you're doing and have done. You will have an interview, quiz, a quality control session every week, and either homeworks or projects to work on. I consider myself fairly lazy, you will not survive that way. I would say I studied roughly 5 hours a week outside of class and worked on assignments anywhere from 5-20 hours a week outside of class. If you slack, you will be sent home. As they are investing in you, if they don't view you as profitable, they will cut ties with you. This constantly puts pressure on everyone to perform. Once you've completed training, you will move to 'staging' where essentially you're just studying for the OCA exam which they encourage you to take, or prepare for interviews (everyone secretly just plays games). A handful of people usually get hired right out of training, and for my batch in particular, everyone was placed on a client within 3 weeks; although I've heard stories of people waiting almost 3 months. You're given a week to relocate. They mainly have clients on the east coast, but essentially they can send you anywhere and you don't have a choice. Excellent training/trainers Software engineering batch learned an indepth foundationally sound full stack They want you to succeed! (They don't make money off of you if you don't) Met a lot of interesting people and some friends You get a chance to explore, I trained in one state, and worked in another state You will be placed on a big name client Your career should be looking excellent after a 2 year investment with Revature It's essentially like going to the military, get shipped off, make ends meat, but you're set for the rest of your life afterwards They allow for clients to buy you out of contracts (quite a few people end up getting bought out) They allow for government contracts with clearances You will sign a contract that allows for employers to not work you more than 40 hours, and you have to agree to overtime if you want it

Cons

Minimum wage to train to essentially work 40 hours, yet you will spend anywhere from 5-30 hours outside of class a week to study or do work. It isn't easy, they work hard to filter out the people that companies won't want.. even down to appearance. You will be wearing a suit at least once a week. They give you $500 to relocate to a client, very difficult to move all of your belongings and find a place to live off of that 2 year contract with 19k penalty fee for breach, you can't leave them and work for a similar job or company 50k a year is well below industry standard, but you knew that when you signed up for it HR is a joke, many people were screwed around. Told they would be getting their own bedroom, ended up 2 people to a room. Placed in hotels with bed bugs and cockroaches when they ran out of apartments. Good luck with your money, the HR team will manage to screw up your paycheck at least a dozen times while you work for them, they are however, diligent on fixing mistakes

329 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Changed My Life

Jul 2, 2020 - Software Developer in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Get paid to learn in bootcamp-like training - Learn many in-demand technologies - Change your career quickly without going back to school or paying money - They fully prepare you to succeed in the workplace, as well as succeed in nailing the interview - They find you a job in the field - Start making a great salary in as little as 3 months, maximum of six months if you're really unlucky - After working for Revature for two years, you are free from the contract, and have extremely valuable skills and experience you can take anywhere and earn six figures easily

Cons

- Must complete a two-year contract with them (but this works for you too, it's job security) - Training program is very, very difficult! Very stressful, and you will need to put in more than 40 hours/week (without overtime) - You make minimum wage during training (but have the option to stay in very nice housing that they pay half of, and it's in walking distance of the training, which helps) - Have to relocate to the training location (at least, you did before Covid-19) - Have to relocate to the client you are placed with after training; you cannot choose the client or the location - You have to make this move with short notice. They do give you some money for the move, though, but it's still tight

Revature Response

We live to change lives like yours! Thank you for sharing and enabling us to be a part of your career story. We are so happy to be able to provide you with all the skills needed to succeed in the tech industry and get you started on the right foot! Thank you.

5. 4.0

Intense Training?

Apr 21, 2020 - Full Stack Java Developer in Arlington, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am near the end of my training for the full stack java development program. The training is very intense. Be prepared to spend almost every waking moment studying, completing projects or at least thinking about your projects. The QC (quality control) team, who will ask you questions weekly, are rough. They don't take prisoners. Don't guess at the answer or they'll keep asking you questions, allowing you to dig your own grave. Saying you don't know isn't great either, so knowing the material is very important to staying in the program. However, you learn a ton in the 12 weeks and they really do make you a great developer, if you put in the work.

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage pay for the three months of training, and little-to-no control on placement. I was beyond scared when it came to signing the contract, but after going through the program, the education is worth the uncertainty. Of course, I haven't actually been placed with a company yet, so there is still time to get screwed. Fingers crossed I don't end up in Maine. Would recommend the program if: You're serious about getting a career quickly and are willing to put in the work You don't have an immediate need for money. Paying a mortgage on minimum wage is tough (I know from experience). You are willing to move anywhere for a couple years. Most placements are east coast but that is changing.

3 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

We are happy to see that your experience with us was a positive one and appreciate the detailed review. Your feedback helps us to implement change so thank you. We are proud of you for making it through the intense training and look forward to watching your career progress as a result!

6. 2.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Can get you in the door but know your rights

Jan 13, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can get you in the field if you have no prior experience

Cons

- They violate employee rights and change rules that aren’t in contract regarding pay. Always communicate via email so you have a paper trail If things end up in court. - I was pretty good with Java going in. Still needed to put about 60-70 hours per week. (Not 40 at all) - they lied to me and told me housing was covered. After I quit my job and moved to Texas, I was asked to sign a housing contract where 400 of my minimum wage was taken out for housing. Also you will not get paid for any extra hours worked.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Opportunity for people with no experience

Oct 16, 2020 - Java Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Revature really want to see you succeed. They will make the time and effort to help you. The people who complain about how it works, clearly wasn't paying attention. They tell you upfront the downside before you decide to sign the contract. They even give you 10 days before signing to see how you feel about the program. The training can be hard-work but it's worth especially for people with no experience and want to get into programming. But also know if it's something you really want to do.

Cons

There is a 2-year contract and minimum wage during training. But that's something that was told beforehand.

4 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you! We appreciate your feedback and really do love watching all of you succeed. It’s one of the most enjoyable parts of our jobs! Thank you again for being part of our Revature team and allowing us to help launch your career in tech.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

(Java / React ) Haven't been placed with a client yet, but a positive experience so far.

Dec 4, 2020 - Full Stack Web Developer in South Florida, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Revature is a fairly quick way to get a start in this industry. Just know that the training will most likely consume all of your time and energy for about two-ish months. - My trainer's name was Robert Connell; awesome guy. Definitely helps that I also had awesome batchmates. I just hope they same happens for you. - I was pretty scared at first after hearing about the awful pay and crazy high fee you have to pay if your breach your contract. Not to mention my over-joyous recruiter saying "Congratulations, you made it into the program!!! Pat yourself on the back man!" at least three times. Definitely sketchy at first, but the fact of the matter is that they reeeaaally want to make you marketable; to ultimately make money off of you. They do not hide this fact at all. However for me being in my position, this is not a bad thing in the slightest. Many people will probably disagree with me here, but I have 100000% no issue with being "used" by a company that is doing everything they can to get me a job. Not that I can't motivate myself, but having a support group that PAYS you and more-or-less guarantee's you a job in this economic situation, is pretty nice. Big fan, especially during a time when almost all of the jobs that they're selecting for you are remote only. - Assuming you make it through, you will no doubt come out of this program knowing how to create an entire web application and be able to properly deploy it ALL by yourself. Mind you that almost every person in my batch who started ended up making it through. - Even if you do get mutually released for whatever reason (not that I encourage anyone to do this intentionally), it isn't as though your web development journey is over. You can still learn and find your way into the industry using the knowledge you gained while in training. Frankly, the most important takeaway from this training for me was learning how to learn anyhow. - Just know that after your first project presentation, it gets better. Things really calm down once you reach the final project. Not that you shouldn't still work as hard as before, just know that you'll be working with a larger team so you should have a bit more free time.

Cons

- I was a 4.0 student in college (with a CS minor) who thought they had mastered time management, but even for me it was hard to have time to both study for our weekly QC / quizzes AND work on the actual projects. The projects themselves required soooo much of my time. It was really hard to find a balance. Maybe this was just due to me having super high standards for my own work, so this may not apply to many of you out there, but just be prepared to have time to study 80+ flashcards a week on top of spending all the rest of your time nailing these 4 projects. - The pay during training is rough in theory, but fortunately I was living with my parents at the time so getting paid minimum wage really wasn't that bad. I did have to keep working at my second job for the first two months though since you don't have access to your benefits until after that time period. If 45k a year doesn't sound nice to you for a job right out of college, fair enough. For me however, that's more money than I've ever dreamed of having, and it only goes waaay up from there. I may have high standards, but in this economic situation, I will gladly take 45K for the first year. - I read other reviews before I started here and I don't remember a single one of them warning me that the first week you're technically assigned TWO projects. One of them is really just more of an assignment where you write algorithms in Java, but having to do that, work on the actual project AND study 80+ flashcards was more than I was expecting for the first week.

3 people found this review helpful

Revature Response

Thank you for your review and congratulations on all you have achieved thus far. We appreciate your feedback and are so happy to see that your experience has been so positive. Revature is invested in increasing jobs and bridging the employment gap in the tech industry for all people with the right attitude and aptitude. We value each associate, each client and each corporate employee and we thank you so much for being a part of our team. Cheers!

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good for getting into the technology industry for those who are struggling.

Nov 12, 2020 - Salesforce Developer in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The entire business model of Revature is taking people who might be struggling to get a job, training them, and placing them with clients. I'll be honest upfront: it does sound a little like a scam. But this is a great opportunity for those who are a good fit: > if you just graduated and are struggling to find a job > if you want to change careers and break into the technology industry If you fit into either of these categories, Revature can be a great way to jumpstart your career. I graduated with a degree in music, no job prospects, and now after going through the training for the past two months I've been placed with a client as a Salesforce Developer.

Cons

Now for the downsides: > You have to sign a two-year contract and suffer a multi-thousand dollar fine if you break the contract. > Training is very fast-paced and you'll need to study for hours on your own time. > The training isn't exactly the highest quality I've ever seen. > You'll get paid minimum wage during training. > You can't choose what technology stack you learn. > You can't choose which clients to interview with and must be prepared to move anywhere in the United States for both training and the client projects. To qualify some of these: > You sign the contract the second week and can choose not to continue at any point before signing. In order to invoke the fine you have to choose to leave the company on your own; if you get released because you didn't do well enough you'll get released with no fine. > The training is hard, I'll admit, but it's only for about 8-10 weeks, after which they'll start setting up interviews with clients. Revature is definitely not a good fit for everyone. If you're able to get a good tech job without them, more power to you. But if you're struggling and willing to move and study hard for a few weeks, it could be a great fit.

Revature Response

Wonderful! Congrats to you on all of your accomplishments so far. We are so pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to everyone with the right attitude and aptitude. We are thrilled you had a great experience and thank you for choosing Revature.

10. 3.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

For those who aren't fully qualified to do the job, but really want to anyway

Jan 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Paid training - Work in a professional manner to create portfolio projects - Trains you in the technologies the employers want and how to interview well - Provides you with interviews with Fortune 500 employers

Cons

- Pay is minimum wage during training - Hefty pay reduction for two years after training - Two year contract after training - No free time during the training - Must move to an unknown employer's location in the USA after training, with short notice

Viewing 1 - 10 of 66 Reviews