Revel Consulting Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Revel Consulting for almost 3 years. The people at Revel are who make this company. I found my fellow Revelers to be smart dedicated people that I enjoyed interacting with without exception. The Revel Management genuinely looks out for its employees and actively works to provide opportunities for growth and collaboration. Overall I had a great experience and I am very appreciative of my time working for them. I would highly recommend the company to any future employees.

Cons

Working for any consulting company comes with the risk of ending up on the Bench. I was able to leverage one long term assignment into another and stayed off the bench during my entire tenure of with Revel. It is always best to keep in mind that you are ultimately your own best advocate for getting work and staying busy.

2. "Staffing firm pretending to be comparable to Big 4 consulting"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consultants in the field are generally nice, smart folks to work with.

Cons

Their model is closer to that of a staffing firm. No team-based projects or deep customer pipeline like you would have at a Big 4 consulting firm. Consultants are viewed as interchangeable by HQ and account managers.

Their work is almost exclusively MS staffing. As you get close to the 18 month vendor time limit @ MSFT, make sure you have a backup plan.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the project-dependent staffing model.

"Senior Associate - Lack of Projects"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting approach (flywheel), many fun co-workers, company has great potential. Great compensation, benefits.

Cons

Lack of projects. You don't get much say as to which projects you will be on. If you end up without a project, you are likely to get let go. You are hired as a "project resource" with no guarantee of subsequent projects. With a limited portfolio, expect unemployment after your 1st project. While the company tries to act like a true consulting firm, it still feels like a staff augmentation shop.

4. "Making it work..."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally see myself trying to make the best of any situation – the type of work and the range of clients (good to bad) included. People ask me what it is like working here? Before I answer I ask them what their current/previous experience was at their firm/company. Based on their response I would counter that they would experience the same here – hopefully slightly better.
    I’ve worked with great consultants who have come and gone, and for those who continue to look (for whatever reasons) generally have good things to say that they miss about Revel when compared to the other firms.

Cons

Should be more ways to incentivize people to do more away from family & friends. Revel is great with community events and extra-curricular activities that foster team work and collaboration. But if I’m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it. There has to be a way to monetize contributions and IP that drive better results/deliverables for our existing and new clients.

Advice to Management

I’m happy in the type of work that I do – and feel that I’m one of those types that ‘know how to engineer things…’ to keep the work coming. Revel helps with the ‘why we do things…’. I can see how others might perceive management is jumping from one big bet to another but I’m on the fence in whether I would correlate that to a fault. This is a highly evolving space, and I see people way smarter than me trying to take stabs at it from different angles. I like knowing our company is chasing down those big bets and Revel provides us the opportunity to jump in if you so feel inclined to do so.

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We truly appreciate your feedback, and am excited to hear that Revel provides a challenging environment that keeps you engaged and happy on your... More

5. "A rewarding role"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

6. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More

7. "Relaxed atmosphere, nice people"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, a lot of opportunity to shape your own career and get involved in internal initiatives that can blossom into something to own and drive within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline of work was weak when I was there. Perhaps that has changed.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Revel strives to create a culture where our associates can thrive, shaping their own careers and goals. We are excited and confident in our pipeline of work in... More

"One persons review"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates have built a strong external community and support each other.

Cons

Every couple months there is a shift in the direction of the company. Leadership follows what is shiny at the moment and tries to sell it.

Advice to Management

Understand what the company wants to do. Set a direction and go with it for more then 6 months. Support the associates by informing them of whats going on - little to no communications to the majority of your employees.

"Revel Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

You have autonomy as long as you are chargeable.

Cons

you would need to strive not to be on the bench. If you are on the bench, might as well find another company to work for because they only have a small portfolio.

Advice to Management

Reward resources that sell you work and cultivate that program similar to Caiman consulting.

"Better than some firms, still a staffing firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultants are overall really nice and smart
    The pay is good; benefits are pretty good
    A few of the managers and Sr managers are good
    Some client roles are interesting
    Starting to diversify client base, but it's slow
    They don't seem to enforce non-compete
    Firm is more focused on innovation and staying ahead of clients than most companies
    Fairly flexible schedule depending on role

Cons

Leadership attrition is high
    Consultant attrition is fairly high, but that's the nature of staffing/consulting
    Many managers are not good or competent
    No guarantees they will get you the next role
    The business communities (service lines) are not where they should be; Transformation is huge and undefined. It's he staffing engine
    Heavily dependent on Microsoft
    The people in the office (HR, TA, etc.) are clicky and can be disingenuous

Advice to Management

Be honest about the communities, specifically Transformation. Keep investing in your people so they become more and more valuable. Stay selective with hiring. Don't pressure people to become Managers. Don't burn out current Managers.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It is extremely valuable for us to receive. As we continue to grow as an organization, we are focused and committed to diversifying... More