Revel Consulting Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

"Revel is what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to explain the two different personas that have posted on Revel recently and why you get two extremes.

Persona 1: "Traditional Consultant" This person joins thinking Revel is a traditional MSFT "staffing company": Many traditional staffing companies in the Seattle area allow people to "coast" without supervision. I know people who work at Bridge Partners, Red Cloud, Matisia, Simplicity, etc. and part of the appeal is that these companies allow associates to rest on their laurels and do not challenge, or give associates the resources to stay relevant. Associates who join expecting to coast will not last long at Revel because Revel's projects are increasingly on the cutting edge of digital business transformation. The hard truth is that our clients want to work with associates who are relevant.

Persona 2: "Reimaged Consultant--Innovator" This person is about self-improvement and is agile. He/she takes advantage of the MASSIVE amount of learning and development offered by Revel, including $2,000/year, Community events, and volunteer for pro-bono work. Why? This person knows that in a digital world, we constantly need to reinvent ourselves and stay up-to-date on the latest processes and tools. This person will have opportunities once he/she rolls off projects or create their own opportunities. This person is also okay with the constant changes at Revel as he/she knows it is part of the new world--where everything is disrupted, evolving, and ambiguous.

Cons

If you are a traditional consultant and expect to coast on 30-40 hrs/week, this is not for you. You will hate it here and give a 1 or 2 star rating on Glassdoor when you leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay relevant, but communicate better. Keep Revelers up to date on new opportunities to plug in and evolve. Don't rely on managers to do this. Over communication is better than under communication. I also love our new work with Adobe. Let's continue to find ways to deliver end-to-end solutions.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate hearing from our associates. We are excited to have a new cadence of communications for our associates. Please be on the look out for newsletters... More

2. "OK for temporary work"

Former Contractor - IT Business Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - IT Business Consultant in Redmond, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Local footprint (no travelling). Laptop is supplied -- good quality h/w.

Cons

Not enough business development muscle to keep you employed. A good temporary solution for the 'gig economy.' More of a quasi job shop.

Advice to Management

Learn to develop your own people rather than match exact skills to specific gigs (like a body shop would do).

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice vibe, good work/life balance.

Cons

Organization is in motion with pretty ambitious goals, but it will take time before it can become effective. As of now a lot of overhead that does not translate in added value to employees.
    Standard benefits, no growth opportunity in the mid term.

Advice to Management

one thing at a time, and find a way to recognize that the bread and butter of the company comes from traditional business consulting and project management practices.

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write & post this review. We depend on hearing from our associates so that we can continue to create a culture for people to thrive. Revel has made many investments... More

"There's a lot of potential here"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

The conclusion of if this company is good for you depends on two questions - where are you in your career and what are you trying to get out of your consulting experience. For most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company but that doesn't mean you can't get some good things out of it. Revel enables associates to learn about new areas and if you can get through the client interview, even work in those areas. There are a lot of really nice and smart people here and a mix of average joes, so, there's probably a spot at the table for most. I would say that of this "class" of consulting firms (i.e. non-Big 4, non-boutique, local to PNW, 5-10 yrs in existence, expanding beyond Seattle) they are probably one of the better firms. The culture is vibrant and Revel plans some solid events to engage people and hope they continue to keep this up. Revel is making what seems to be smart moves to distinguish themselves in the market. That said, i don't think those moves will be fully realized for another 3-5 years (good luck riding that out).

Cons

As mentioned, for most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company. In 2-5 years, this may be a different story but for now, it's not a place that someone manager and below should/would stay longer than 2 maybe 3 years. The benefits are a bit paultry in some areas (e.g, $2k match for 401k) but expanding in others (paid maternity/paternity & family care leave).They'll trick you on the pay, so lock in that salary when you get it because you probably won't be jumping too much higher. Career planning is pretty much non-existent and I think it's less about their "opt-in" model/lack of internal structure and more about dodging folks who want raises. I can't say if it is a pro or a con but mix of clients is about the same as 80% of the other firms of similar size. If you're looking for all the accoutrements that one typically envisions when thinking of the consulting word, this isn't the bag for you.

Advice to Management

You have to tighten up that career planning process; some people go through it, other don't even know it exists. It's going to come back to bite you when people decide to leave rather than haggle with you on the salary. Balls up and set some expectations or at the very least come up with some paths that those who want to earn more can achieve this and the firm can also benefit.

Also, you have a lot of sharp trainings, resources, knowledge materials etc. in place that are truly quality products but you hardcore FAIL (D+) to "tie the bow" and push these resources out to consultants in a planned and coherent matter.

Please keep up the efforts to train and engage staff. These are the factors that distinguish you from firms in this crowded market.

Mar 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on how we can keep improving as a company. It is candid feedback like yours that helps us continue... More

"Senior consultant"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Revel gives you the freedom to pick your destiny and pave your own unique path.

Cons

Bonus and paid time off is below standard.

"Just another contract company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay and good medical benefits.

Cons

Your just another number. Don't expect them to find you another role when your contract ends. No vacation pay or matching 401K.

Advice to Management

Remember that those that work for you are people not just another number.

Jul 2, 2014 – Associate

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As Revel continues to grow and evolve, candid feedback like yours helps us refine our navigation and ensure all of the exciting changes we’ve... More

"Creative environment for the aspiring consultant"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many career opportunities and management encourages its people to pursue their interests. Great collaborative environment with exciting possibilities and talent.

Cons

This free-spirit environment may not fit with those who are used to a lot of structure.

Advice to Management

Continue to assign structure where necessary to benefit the overall experience

8. "Clients and company culture come first"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- While most consulting companies have a tendency to force associates into specific specialties, Revel wants its employees to have a diversified experience and learn from multiple industries
    - The company is consistently innovating while staying in touch with the latest trend analysis, vertical best practices and methodologies
    - Vibrant corporate culture with employees who enjoy spending time with each other
    - A focus on team and client success rather than individual accomplishments
    - An open culture where all opinions are valued on projects
    - Active philanthropist culture through sustainable giving programs

Cons

- The company is growing at such a rapid pace that sometimes there are informational gaps between leadership and associates

Advice to Management

- Continue to find inventive ways of getting associates involved with internal projects

9. "Be an entrepreneur & a management consultant"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that is growing quickly and so you have the chance to both build a business and do very practical consulting. When clients are being expected to respond quicker than ever they look to consultants to be agile, prototype solutions, fail fast and then get to the answer. Revel realizes this and has got rid of the old hierarchical structure and tick box consulting methods to zero in on what needs to be done. The consultants are whip smart but not caught up in ego and competitive ratings - it's about sharing knowledge, growing professionally and personally.....oh and by the way - clients love the refreshing approach. The exciting thing is that Revel is just at the beginning of continued growth because they have identified a way of operating and niche in the market that is sorely lacking. If you want detailed guidelines, specific methodologies and templates Revel is not the place. However if you have an entrepreneurial mindset and like collaborating....it's a great ride!

Cons

As an evolving business some of the systems and processes are still being formed. This means you get to have real input in shaping them but sometimes under time pressure it would be nice to have an established process to fall back on. Of course the fact that everything is not mapped out clearly and defined is also one of the main pros!

Advice to Management

Revel is revolutionary in the way it is organized, serves clients and encourages entrepreneurialism. The seeds are there to ALSO be revolutionary in terms of treating people as well rounded individuals and building a sense of community that is not underpinned by the 'pay check' but rather connection, collaboration and growth - requires continued commitment and priority focus even amidst the rapid expansion.

"Not really a consulting company."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Revel puts a lot of effort into building a nice image. Vikas has his heart in the right place and wants to do the right thing for everyone.

Cons

Limited ability to execute using any repeatable framework. Since the time Vikas bought out his partner, Revel has looked for every way possible to cut the cost of its services. Consultants being brought in are smart but not seasoned professionals, and don't command a higher salary. Internal staff are not industry professionals (HR recruiters with only department store experience). The overall quality of the Revel experience is just not there anymore and this company can no longer justify the high margins it takes from consultant pay without delivering on fundamental services such as business development, lead generation and practice management. Given the current pressures, remodeling the expensive Kirkland real estate sets a bad tone. Seasoned professionals are avoiding Revel in favor of more forward thinking firms.

Advice to Management

It takes more than window dressing. Revel needs more than just a great marketing plan and sales brochures, the business needs to focus on actual practice management. Revel also needs to be able to honor commitments and act with integrity. It's easy to say what you want to be the truth, but that approach burns everyone in the end, starting with those on the ground.