Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It’s all about the people…"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Revel for almost 7 years and I can say the reason why I've been here for so long are the people. The people are authentic, genuine, and continuously challenge me to be better. The human centered, opt-in, show don't tell culture gives me the space and opportunity to "see what can be.”

Cons

If you prefer long standing processes and steadiness, you may have a difficult time acclimating to Revel. Revel’s culture encourages innovation / entrepreneurial mindset which may lead to a period of uncertainty before clarity is achieved.

Advice to Management

Continue creating spaces to empower Revelers to foster their passions and continue to focus on growing Revel’s business opportunities within Washington and targeted markets.

Sep 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback! We truly appreciate hearing from our current associates. I'm thrilled that your experience has been rewarding and challenging. We ... More

2. "Good people, but common recipe"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make an effort to build a sense of company which is somewhat unusual for a consulting organization.

Cons

The variety of consulting options is not as broad as it could be.

3. "Making it work..."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally see myself trying to make the best of any situation – the type of work and the range of clients (good to bad) included. People ask me what it is like working here? Before I answer I ask them what their current/previous experience was at their firm/company. Based on their response I would counter that they would experience the same here – hopefully slightly better.
    I’ve worked with great consultants who have come and gone, and for those who continue to look (for whatever reasons) generally have good things to say that they miss about Revel when compared to the other firms.

Cons

Should be more ways to incentivize people to do more away from family & friends. Revel is great with community events and extra-curricular activities that foster team work and collaboration. But if I’m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it. There has to be a way to monetize contributions and IP that drive better results/deliverables for our existing and new clients.

Advice to Management

I’m happy in the type of work that I do – and feel that I’m one of those types that ‘know how to engineer things…’ to keep the work coming. Revel helps with the ‘why we do things…’. I can see how others might perceive management is jumping from one big bet to another but I’m on the fence in whether I would correlate that to a fault. This is a highly evolving space, and I see people way smarter than me trying to take stabs at it from different angles. I like knowing our company is chasing down those big bets and Revel provides us the opportunity to jump in if you so feel inclined to do so.

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We truly appreciate your feedback, and am excited to hear that Revel provides a challenging environment that keeps you engaged and happy on your ... More

"Growing Seattle Consulting firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline is evolving which makes for uncertainty at the delivery level with regards to available projects.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on evolving the pipeline (types of projects) to more of a value contributors rather than staff augmentation. Expand on your digital transformation focus and maybe have dedicated development teams (Agile in nature including Architects, DEVs and Testing resources) that can take on multiple project and capable of designing, implementing and iterating on digital solutions.

6. "A rewarding role"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

"Revel is what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to explain the two different personas that have posted on Revel recently and why you get two extremes.

Persona 1: "Traditional Consultant" This person joins thinking Revel is a traditional MSFT "staffing company": Many traditional staffing companies in the Seattle area allow people to "coast" without supervision. I know people who work at Bridge Partners, Red Cloud, Matisia, Simplicity, etc. and part of the appeal is that these companies allow associates to rest on their laurels and do not challenge, or give associates the resources to stay relevant. Associates who join expecting to coast will not last long at Revel because Revel's projects are increasingly on the cutting edge of digital business transformation. The hard truth is that our clients want to work with associates who are relevant.

Persona 2: "Reimaged Consultant--Innovator" This person is about self-improvement and is agile. He/she takes advantage of the MASSIVE amount of learning and development offered by Revel, including $2,000/year, Community events, and volunteer for pro-bono work. Why? This person knows that in a digital world, we constantly need to reinvent ourselves and stay up-to-date on the latest processes and tools. This person will have opportunities once he/she rolls off projects or create their own opportunities. This person is also okay with the constant changes at Revel as he/she knows it is part of the new world--where everything is disrupted, evolving, and ambiguous.

Cons

If you are a traditional consultant and expect to coast on 30-40 hrs/week, this is not for you. You will hate it here and give a 1 or 2 star rating on Glassdoor when you leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay relevant, but communicate better. Keep Revelers up to date on new opportunities to plug in and evolve. Don't rely on managers to do this. Over communication is better than under communication. I also love our new work with Adobe. Let's continue to find ways to deliver end-to-end solutions.

8. "Relaxed atmosphere, nice people"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, a lot of opportunity to shape your own career and get involved in internal initiatives that can blossom into something to own and drive within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline of work was weak when I was there. Perhaps that has changed.

"One persons review"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates have built a strong external community and support each other.

Cons

Every couple months there is a shift in the direction of the company. Leadership follows what is shiny at the moment and tries to sell it.

Advice to Management

Understand what the company wants to do. Set a direction and go with it for more then 6 months. Support the associates by informing them of whats going on - little to no communications to the majority of your employees.

"Revel Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

You have autonomy as long as you are chargeable.

Cons

you would need to strive not to be on the bench. If you are on the bench, might as well find another company to work for because they only have a small portfolio.

Advice to Management

Reward resources that sell you work and cultivate that program similar to Caiman consulting.

"Better than some firms, still a staffing firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultants are overall really nice and smart
    The pay is good; benefits are pretty good
    A few of the managers and Sr managers are good
    Some client roles are interesting
    Starting to diversify client base, but it's slow
    They don't seem to enforce non-compete
    Firm is more focused on innovation and staying ahead of clients than most companies
    Fairly flexible schedule depending on role

Cons

Leadership attrition is high
    Consultant attrition is fairly high, but that's the nature of staffing/consulting
    Many managers are not good or competent
    No guarantees they will get you the next role
    The business communities (service lines) are not where they should be; Transformation is huge and undefined. It's he staffing engine
    Heavily dependent on Microsoft
    The people in the office (HR, TA, etc.) are clicky and can be disingenuous

Advice to Management

Be honest about the communities, specifically Transformation. Keep investing in your people so they become more and more valuable. Stay selective with hiring. Don't pressure people to become Managers. Don't burn out current Managers.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It is extremely valuable for us to receive. As we continue to grow as an organization, we are focused and committed to diversifying ... More