Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

1. "SENIOR Associate"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Great place to work would recommend to friends

Cons

No cons at this time

Feb 16, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Really happy to know you're enjoying your time with the firm. I'd appreciate an opportunity to grab coffee to learn more about your positive experience so we can do more of... More

"A thrilling place to make a contribution"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the experience of being a Reveler - I've done consulting at a number of firms, and I think Revel has the best mix of client impact, culture, and internal intellectual culture. Clients love us - we dramatically improve their performance, period. Being here has upped my game as a professional and strategist immensely - I have learned so much from my very diverse consultants and operations colleagues. I am so excited to see how I grow and learn in the coming months and years.

Cons

As you can see from the mixed reviews, many people love it here and a few don't. Make sure you talk to current and former employees to triangulate whether you'll like it here. Revel is rapidly maturing in terms of HR and internal processes - it's wonderful to see the sincere effort being made to make things better for everyone.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making Revel such a thrilling place to work!

Ensure expectations and norms are communicated and clarified with everyone - not everyone is a self-starter or rockstar, so communicating up front "what success/distinctive performance looks like" is critical.

"Driven Need Only Apply"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing connectivity in ICT industries.
    Ambition to diversify outside of ICT.
    Solid Leadership at the top levels. CEO is making more investments in top leadership. Current CEO can not scale effectively without them.
    Solid
    Great benefits, including a full paid paternity/maternity leave.

Cons

Middle Management Leadership is inconsistent and quiet
    Pipeline of opportunities not made transparent to associates. While this intentional, I don't believe it should be this way. Especially after 18 months of successful project delivery. Let the associates who have earned it peek into the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Deepen your mid-management capacity building. Reward results as much as tenure. Never lose sight of meritocracy.
    Evaluate your bonus model for inconsistency and overlooking associates who contributed to new and incremental business revenue.

"Great company with many positives"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are good at what you do, knowledgeable, and client-centric, you will love Revel and succeed.

Here are some benefits:
    - Paid family leave (8 weeks for paternity)
    - 15 days PTO
    - 8 days of Holiday + 2 flex days
    - Most clients are flexible meaning you can work from home a few days a week
    - You make Revel what you want it to be
    - If you go above and beyond, your salary will quickly increase
    - Opportunity for bonuses
    - Partnership with General Assembly means free classes and education!
    - Abundent snacks
    - Holiday parties are amazing
    - Great colleagues and supportive managers
    - Collaborative communities
    - Great projects - mostly in Digital Marketing and Sales

Cons

- People who aren’t agile, can’t take feedback well, and don’t communicate well with clients will fail here. Revel keeps the top talent and has little patience for people who are rigid in their thinking.

Advice to Management

Hire top talent and carry more of a bench. The ondemand model is flawed and needs to be addressed as we lose on opportunities. Be careful of miss-hires, especially at the leadership level. They tend to have residual negative affect on the company from a culture and reputation standpoint.

"Always Pushing Forward.."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Fortunate to continually to be working with amazing people over my eight plus years here at Revel. Great place to work, learn and be challenged. It's definitely not a place for apathy, constantly moving and providing opportunities to learn and move the needle.

Cons

Must take initiative on career goals/path. I noticed that those who do best 'opt-in' to the available opportunities to build skills and experiences . Not for those that are passive as pace dictates ability to continually learn and be adaptable to change/transformation.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Revel Consulting for almost 3 years. The people at Revel are who make this company. I found my fellow Revelers to be smart dedicated people that I enjoyed interacting with without exception. The Revel Management genuinely looks out for its employees and actively works to provide opportunities for growth and collaboration. Overall I had a great experience and I am very appreciative of my time working for them. I would highly recommend the company to any future employees.

Cons

Working for any consulting company comes with the risk of ending up on the Bench. I was able to leverage one long term assignment into another and stayed off the bench during my entire tenure of with Revel. It is always best to keep in mind that you are ultimately your own best advocate for getting work and staying busy.

Sep 21, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I'm ecstatic to know that the community model proved to be valuable during your time with Revel! We have several spaces, in which leadership (Community Leads) discuss... More

"Making it work..."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally see myself trying to make the best of any situation – the type of work and the range of clients (good to bad) included. People ask me what it is like working here? Before I answer I ask them what their current/previous experience was at their firm/company. Based on their response I would counter that they would experience the same here – hopefully slightly better.
    I’ve worked with great consultants who have come and gone, and for those who continue to look (for whatever reasons) generally have good things to say that they miss about Revel when compared to the other firms.

Cons

Should be more ways to incentivize people to do more away from family & friends. Revel is great with community events and extra-curricular activities that foster team work and collaboration. But if I’m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it. There has to be a way to monetize contributions and IP that drive better results/deliverables for our existing and new clients.

Advice to Management

I’m happy in the type of work that I do – and feel that I’m one of those types that ‘know how to engineer things…’ to keep the work coming. Revel helps with the ‘why we do things…’. I can see how others might perceive management is jumping from one big bet to another but I’m on the fence in whether I would correlate that to a fault. This is a highly evolving space, and I see people way smarter than me trying to take stabs at it from different angles. I like knowing our company is chasing down those big bets and Revel provides us the opportunity to jump in if you so feel inclined to do so.

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We truly appreciate your feedback, and am excited to hear that Revel provides a challenging environment that keeps you engaged and happy on your... More

8. "A rewarding role"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

"A great place to get involved"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel is a place where you take action in your career and people with engage with you. It's a smaller company, so people come in with the big consulting firm mind-set. Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule. You see many negative reviews about the company from people who aren't actively engaged in the culture, and that is natural for any smaller, growing company. If you want to be involved in everything Revel is doing around digital business transformation, then you can be in the middle of it, if you want to have a balanced life, do great work, and be home each day at the same time, Revel supports that as well and treats everyone as an individual.

Cons

Given Revel is a smaller company, it can 'shift' constantly which can be a blessing and a curse. Things are attempted, trialed, and ended, with the communication sometimes being an afterthought. This can be frustrating at times where communication and newsletters don't seem to be on a regular schedule. If you want a company that pushes you do to do things then Revel isn't the place, if you want to push yourself and grow, then Revel has those opportunities if you're willing to put in extra.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in messaging and actions. Consistency in communication with all Revelers is key to keeping people engaged.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with Revel! We appreciate any and all feedback :-). We just announced our new communications schedule including upcoming newsletters, town halls, CEO Circle, and... More

10. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More