Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

"A breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

Pros

I love the culture at Revel. What attracted me to Revel was the dedication to client delivery as well as the great people here. At Revel, I've been able to leverage my previous big 4 consulting experiences and my MBA education to develop and deliver world-class solutions to my clients. I love that my engagements are locally based so there is no travel required and I'm home by 5pm most evenings. Most of all, I love our Pure Consulting model which essential leaves no stone unturned and allows us consultants to be strategic in driving to the heart of the problem and leveraging our network of consultants in order to solve it.

* Boutique firm/smaller company so more opportunity to make an impact
    * Fairly flat organizational structure, therefore, less bureaucracy
    * Really smart, fun, and experienced colleagues
    * Flexible culture

Cons

*Not much variety in the locations (only have offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Francisco). But that will likely change as the company grows.
    * Still working on defining much of how the career track is structure
    * Lack of any type of formal training
    * New leadership structure so some kinks still being worked out there.
    * I'm sure there's more, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons

Advice to Management

More transparency with consultants about the direction of the company and insight as changes are made.

"A PURE Business Consulting Firm"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Solid focus on business consulting as a opposed to a tech, hybrid or staff consulting firms. An under served piece of the consulting marketplace.
    The firm growth is through attracting experienced, smart and accomplished management consultants.
    Excellent competencies in Strategy, Sales/Marketing, Program/Project, Process, Product and Change management.
    Current industry verticals High Tech, Communications are very strong with significant work being performed in Travel, Financial, Online Commerce industries.
    While fast growing, Revel has added a great elastic infrastructure of support.
    The leaders including myself... by an large come from 'Blue" chip management consulting roots.
    Salaries are slightly below the market but Income is great...there are ways to improve your economic value.
    The firm is rapidly growing but is profitable as well, Revel has very good financial management.

Cons

Company is growing faster than its culture or said another way the culture is constantly evolving.
    There is no clear vertical career path but many horizontial career opportunitiies.
    No real margin visability. Easy to sell work (great consulting) hard to know if it is improving profitabilty.
    Many talented hard working consultants but difficult to collaborate and learn from each other.

Advice to Management

Keep the steady hand on the financial mangement wheel
    Improve business visibilty
    Improve learniing collaboration across peer groups
    More women in the firm and management team

"PURE Consulting - focused on solving client issues without the bureaucracy of big consulting firms."

Current Employee - Associate (Consultant) in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate (Consultant) in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Great Clients with challenging business problems. Smart and experienced colleagues to learn from. Minimal firm requriements re travel, training, reporting, etc. Get to focus on clients.

Cons

Current practices limited to High Tech and Telecommunications.

Advice to Management

You have created a great firm and consulting approach. Continue to invest and grow the firm's practice areas into other industries.

"Reducing barriers between client and consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Pros:
    • Do not have to struggle with the bureaucratic structure of larger firms that hinders efficiency
    • Get to work with smart/experience people
    • Get to work with a strong client base
    • Challenging client requirements and projects
    • Does not require extensive travel; good work/personal life balance
    • Ample opportunities to help out in the community
    • No corporate training/reporting requirements—focus solely on the client and the project
    • Competitive compensation
    • Good benefits
    • Strong leaders with a vision for growing the business

Cons

Cons:
    • Limited travel if you want to “see the world”
    • overall not a huge number of clients; company expanding but still limited to technology and retail sectors
    • firm growing so fast that sometimes the details are overlooked
    • small firm so there is no clear vertical path

5. "Breath of fresh air...coming from a largee consulting firm."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Revel provides an environment to work with great clients on challenging projects without having to deliver non-client requirements (i.e. business development, reporting, etc.). Revel gives consultants the opportunity to transition projects across engagements (within and across clients). The firm is an exciting place to work given the growth in revenue, employees, accomplishments and recognition. Brett and Vikas, Revel's founders, are over-the-top passionate about the firm, it's accomplishments and the opportunities that lie ahead for Revel. Great new benefits!

Cons

If you are interested in travel, then Revel is not the place for you. The firm has offices in the Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles but the majority of client work is centered in Seattle with Microsoft, T-mobile, AT&T and Expedia. Opportunities are increasing in the Bay Area. Revel is not a place to work if you want to see the world as a consultant.

Advice to Management

Develop events to bring the distributed team of consultants together more often. Townhalls are great. Continue to communicate Revel's achievements and opportunities.

"Life changing - it opened my eyes to a different type of consulting & how I could positively affect a client's work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Revel opened doors that I didn't see in my prior Big 4 consulting days. They provided very challenging projects with direct access to smart and driven clients. It allowed me to have direct impact to my client's projects and their lives. In addition, my manager and lead provided coaching and direction on a bi-weekly to month basis to help drive greater value to the client. They also proactively identified risks to the project, connected me to other consultants that had related projects, and pointed me to best practices and templates I could leverage for the project. They continued to push me to implement positive change longer-term with the client.

Cons

Some of the projects are understaffed and thus are extremely challenging to manage client demands and work life balance. With start-up initiatives, I understand that's the case - but there is area for improvement in terms of setting client expectations and scope prior to beginning a project.

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

Pros

I like the fact that Revel understands you are there for a reason; to help the client to the best of your abilities. Revel allows me to do that, doesn't have any assumptions about what I 'need' and knows I'll come for help where warranted, and offers a great support system again when needed. PURE consulting has really been just that; they move out of your way so you can get to work for your client.

Cons

Offer a little more training opportunity by relevance; enabling Leaders within our groups to offer more insight into how we may utilize our talents and education to change roles and clients if desired.

Advice to Management

Great job; keep it up!

"A place full of fun & intelligent professionals tirelessly working to improve clients, asssociates & the community."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Limitless possibilities to make an impact & grow through client work, internal Revel initiatives and sustainable giving projects in the community.
    - Surrounded by highly experienced, smart yet humble people that value career growth through exciting opportunities.
    - Effective knowledge sharing tools & processes helps associates remain relevent & test their skills.
    - Ability to influence company culture with Leadership support.

Cons

- Must be hungry and proactive to accelerate your career growth, not the best environment for individuals that require a lot of hand holding.
    - Extremely high quality expectations from clients/peers which can make work/life balance difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Continue driving the core values of the company and ensure it's embedded throughout all of the associates.

"Great firm to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career advancement opportunities, bright & innovated people, exciting projects, thought leaders, superb community involvement, and did I mention good compensation package?

Cons

No 401k match, but the benefits make up for that

"Find your place and excel"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young and energetic –they are there to help you succeed and find your niche. Smaller outfit allows for more relevant sharing and development in career and skills. They are looking to shift towards a more pure consulting – a closer relationship with their clients. I was initially afraid that this outfit would be more of a staff augmentation model but the steps they are taking reflect a more ‘Naked’ approach in the way they view client services.

Cons

No 401K matching, 8 days of holidays, no PTO. They have a two tracks - one for salary and the other for hourly. Salary is more the solution delivery track and the hourly is the associate track. The associate track has a half-pay bench; so if you aren't on a project then you can only charge in 4 hours for the day. Something to consider when you review the offer.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example and help showcase others work. It is also nice to see the CEO so plugged in with those around him and with the new hires.