Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Revel Consulting CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

1. "SENIOR Associate"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Great place to work would recommend to friends

Cons

No cons at this time

"Challenge yourself, make an impact, and have a life"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Revel has undergone dramatic investment in its operations and structure in the last few years. Most reviews on Glassdoor are sadly from the old guard. Leadership is completely committed to creating a place where people have enough support and infrastructure to fuel their creativity, while eliminating the bureaucracy, politics, and in-fighting often seen in the ranks of the Big 4.

I spent 5yrs as a Senior Consultant and in Management at a Big 4, and can attest to how refreshing it is to be empowered to learn what I want to learn, explore POCs I want to explore, and chase the projects I want to chase. I can own my successes and failures here, and reallocate the time I would have otherwise spent traveling weekly or navigating politics into building IP and eminence where my interests are, connecting with my community, working out, and having a life. Also, I don't travel, and I come home to my family every night.

More than anything, the biggest difference is how human-centered design has been baked into Revel's way of treating its consultants and its clients as actual people. It's not just how we approach client projects; The Community Leads are there for each other, and there for their people. Servant leadership and humility come from the top down; our CEO, Vikas Kamran, frequently thanks people personally for their efforts, and says it's *his* pleasure to serve *us*. Again, a very refreshing take on consulting.

Cons

Not being a Big4, Revel doesn't have 25,000 people in its practice, with 2,000 Partners that all have 30yrs of experience each. So, you're not able to take your pick from 25 world experts about any random question that comes up. We do, though, have deep expertise in the areas we compete, so you will be able to find at least a few people to ask questions to, and thankfully, people are eager to help each other out.

Advice to Management

As Revel grows, maintain the focus we have on being people-centered, and provide transparency into the vision for growth. Keep making investments in our learning and development, and offering ways for folks to give back through non-profit partnerships like Treehouse.

3. "A thrilling place to make a contribution"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the experience of being a Reveler - I've done consulting at a number of firms, and I think Revel has the best mix of client impact, culture, and internal intellectual culture. Clients love us - we dramatically improve their performance, period. Being here has upped my game as a professional and strategist immensely - I have learned so much from my very diverse consultants and operations colleagues. I am so excited to see how I grow and learn in the coming months and years.

Cons

As you can see from the mixed reviews, many people love it here and a few don't. Make sure you talk to current and former employees to triangulate whether you'll like it here. Revel is rapidly maturing in terms of HR and internal processes - it's wonderful to see the sincere effort being made to make things better for everyone.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making Revel such a thrilling place to work!

Ensure expectations and norms are communicated and clarified with everyone - not everyone is a self-starter or rockstar, so communicating up front "what success/distinctive performance looks like" is critical.

"Driven Need Only Apply"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing connectivity in ICT industries.
    Ambition to diversify outside of ICT.
    Solid Leadership at the top levels. CEO is making more investments in top leadership. Current CEO can not scale effectively without them.
    Solid
    Great benefits, including a full paid paternity/maternity leave.

Cons

Middle Management Leadership is inconsistent and quiet
    Pipeline of opportunities not made transparent to associates. While this intentional, I don't believe it should be this way. Especially after 18 months of successful project delivery. Let the associates who have earned it peek into the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Deepen your mid-management capacity building. Reward results as much as tenure. Never lose sight of meritocracy.
    Evaluate your bonus model for inconsistency and overlooking associates who contributed to new and incremental business revenue.

"Great company with many positives"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are good at what you do, knowledgeable, and client-centric, you will love Revel and succeed.

Here are some benefits:
    - Paid family leave (8 weeks for paternity)
    - 15 days PTO
    - 8 days of Holiday + 2 flex days
    - Most clients are flexible meaning you can work from home a few days a week
    - You make Revel what you want it to be
    - If you go above and beyond, your salary will quickly increase
    - Opportunity for bonuses
    - Partnership with General Assembly means free classes and education!
    - Abundent snacks
    - Holiday parties are amazing
    - Great colleagues and supportive managers
    - Collaborative communities
    - Great projects - mostly in Digital Marketing and Sales

Cons

- People who aren’t agile, can’t take feedback well, and don’t communicate well with clients will fail here. Revel keeps the top talent and has little patience for people who are rigid in their thinking.

Advice to Management

Hire top talent and carry more of a bench. The ondemand model is flawed and needs to be addressed as we lose on opportunities. Be careful of miss-hires, especially at the leadership level. They tend to have residual negative affect on the company from a culture and reputation standpoint.

6. "The worst company to work for in Seattle, no contest."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would have to say there aren't any.

Cons

Beware! This company is as fraudulent and corrupted as they come. Don't expect a single thing you're promised, because the offer will sound awesome. It's not. This company is lies built on more lies, poorly managed, and losing money. What a fun combination!
    Oh and I've heard from multiple people that they falsify 5 star glass door reviews frequently to up their score (that's why I've finally decided to write an honest review, which will surely be pushed down the page rank by fake positive reviews), these are tricky and unethical people.

Advice to Management

Be honest, and hire significantly better management. Current management is a sad joke.

Dec 17, 2017 – CEO

Quite frankly, my instinct was to simply scroll past this review (nodding my head w/ disbelief & disgust)...I quickly took a step back to apply/see through one of our core values of empathy, empathy... More

"Excellent client and talent acquisition"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent client relationships and projects. Excited every day to work with great people who are authentic, decent, creative and smart.

Cons

"If you want to do it, you would already be doing it." Only the proactive are successful here. Merit is paramount.

Advice to Management

The fundamentals of sound business advice don't require trendy language. The hook is the connection to the user audience.

Dec 17, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I'm really happy to know that our culture is holding 'true' to its core value(s) and is pervasive in all interactions across the associate and client... More

"Always Pushing Forward.."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Fortunate to continually to be working with amazing people over my eight plus years here at Revel. Great place to work, learn and be challenged. It's definitely not a place for apathy, constantly moving and providing opportunities to learn and move the needle.

Cons

Must take initiative on career goals/path. I noticed that those who do best 'opt-in' to the available opportunities to build skills and experiences . Not for those that are passive as pace dictates ability to continually learn and be adaptable to change/transformation.

"Stay far away for peace of mind"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel can pay you a decent salary when you're staffed.
    Revel has decent people at the consultant level, and if you're paired with another consultant (rare) it can elevate the experience you have.

Cons

Zero investment in employees, like zero.
    Sink or swim atmosphere.
    Poor communication throughout the entire company.
    Lack of a consistent review process.
    Managers are asked to do too much (e.g. sell, deliver, run staffing processes) and have no support.
    CEO has a HUGE ego and will do anything to make a buck, but despises anyone who disagrees with him.
    Revolving door - within 6 months almost all the people you started with will have moved on to new companies.
    40 hour work week is inconsistent depending on project, you will not be paid OT even if client work requires extra time.
    Client list is nonexistent, you will be in Redmond and after 18months you're at risk for keeping your job.
    Company values are lip service, I experienced dishonest business dealings on several occasions.
    You may experience lots of time on the bench if the pipeline is thin, which occurs regularly. If you can't find your next project on your own, then you're done.
    Projects are staff aug, not consulting. You'll go aimlessly from project to project with gaps in between where you're getting a reduced bench rate.
    No choice in projects, you'll do whatever they ask you to do or you'll be shown the door.
    Poor leadership throughout the leadership ranks. The CEO and leaders of recruiting and business development have no clue what they're doing. There's no strategy at this firm for the direction of the firm. It's all marketing, but no action. On the outside it looks like the place is put together, but if you work there you'll be disappointed within a couple months.
    Lack of view into the pipeline. I got the impression this was done on purpose because they didn't want employees to see that there was no work coming in.
    They lay people off, have massive holiday parties, and hire people to do the same job of people they laid off.
    Everyone that works there is new which means the place has no culture or identity, and no real guidelines it's a frat house.

I could go on forever, bottom line is this place is amateur. If you REALLY need a job, it's a good place to get a paycheck before you find your next opportunity, but it's definitely not a place to build a career or your resume. The same problems have persisted with this firm for the entire time I worked there, and there were no signs of any changes coming. People realize this quickly and they leave.

Advice to Management

Another rebrand isn't going to help Revel. If you're serious about running this company (which I don't think you are), then invest in your employees instead of delivering lip service. My sense is that nobody really cares as long as the brass is making money. An "open-door" is lip service, do something.

Sep 21, 2017 – CEO

Immediate reaction (head) is to ‘thank you for the feedback’ demonstrating appreciation for the time you took to transfer these thoughts – it’s not easy. My feelings (heart) have quickly pivoted... More

"Staffing firm pretending to be comparable to Big 4 consulting"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consultants in the field are generally nice, smart folks to work with.

Cons

Their model is closer to that of a staffing firm. No team-based projects or deep customer pipeline like you would have at a Big 4 consulting firm. Consultants are viewed as interchangeable by HQ and account managers.

Their work is almost exclusively MS staffing. As you get close to the 18 month vendor time limit @ MSFT, make sure you have a backup plan.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the project-dependent staffing model.

Sep 20, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. Whilst it’s disappointing to hear about your experience, we’re definitely listening and there’s an obvious trend and gap between perception (lack of project pipeline & low... More