Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Reviews

Updated February 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Smart people, nice vibe, good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Friendly and smart people who are willing to provide help when you need it (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to continue diversifying client base (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 4 reviews)

"7 Years Was 6 Years Too Long"

Pros

Ability to work independently and establish a manageable work life balance.

Cons

After 7 years (making me one of the most tenured employees, which should tell you something), I found my career stagnating with severely limited growth opportunities and capped pay. The quality of people and work significantly declined over my time at the Firm with most roles tending toward staff augmentation. Personal development was not supported in any meaningful way by Revel in terms of role opportunities or training. "Management" tended to be fluid, lacking in experience, trustworthy, or valuable in any way. Be aware of the internal marketing.

Advice to Management

Create effective incentives to build on employees skills and interests with a believable properly incentivized career path. Too often the talk never matched the actions. Lead by doing.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We appreciate the 7 years you spent with Revel, and wish we could have talked sooner to listen and address some of the concerns you mention ... More

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice vibe, good work/life balance.

Cons

Organization is in motion with pretty ambitious goals, but it will take time before it can become effective. As of now a lot of overhead that does not translate in added value to employees.
    Standard benefits, no growth opportunity in the mid term.

Advice to Management

one thing at a time, and find a way to recognize that the bread and butter of the company comes from traditional business consulting and project management practices.

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write & post this review. We depend on hearing from our associates so that we can continue to create a culture for people to thrive. Revel has made many investments ... More

3. "Great people and culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people and energy. Lots of avenues for skills-sharpening and new ideas.

Cons

Organizational clarity is sometimes lacking. Benefits are just so-so: 12 paid days off, small 401(k) match, middle-of-the-road medical, dental and vision.

Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for posting this review! We love hearing feedback from our Associates, as we strive to continuously improve our Associate experience/journey. We did add some additional benefits for ... More

"Small political company, limited project opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small firm if you are looking for a company with less than 300 people. More visibility with the senior management team if you put in the effort.

Cons

Small firm doesn't mean it's more of a "family" atmosphere, still very political in office and very limited project opportunities in general. Don't trust what they promise you in the beginning. You rarely have a say in what projects you want to work in.

Advice to Management

You need to invest more time and opportunities in your people, actually care instead of pretending to care. Also adding more clients to your portfolio would be very helpful.

Jun 13, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We value hearing from our associates (and former associates) so that we can continuously improve our associate experience. We have refined our alignment process ... More

6. "Strategic, empathy driven, impactful and growth oriented firm."

Current Employee - Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Methodology and Thought Leadership: Excellent thinkers in leadership and strategy practice area that are fun to listen to and are approachable and easy to engage with. At the forefront in leading excellent workshops around the hot topics of the day and contributing a unique integrated point of view.

Principles: Fantastic focus on presence and empathy that comes up in many scenarios and meetings. Really positive outlook on work, life and solving client problems. Guiding principles are more than just written on the wall, really feel a dedication to them.

Autonomy: Ability to deliver great work on projects with support but not much oversight.

Just right size: Big enough for office support, business development, HR but not too big with bureaucracy and approval layers. Ability to influence the practice areas and how the business works.

Cons

The educational benefit for exploration and professional development is wonderful but could use some tweaks since it's changed.

Tough to stay connected with the firm on client site most of the time, recognizing that's the challenge of this industry and Revel is trying to get more momentum here.

Advice to Management

Love the guiding principles, always keep them close to heart.

Tweak a few of the little things on the education & exploration learning benefits and keep supporting increasing connection to the firm.

May 16, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback! We truly value hearing from our associates. I'd love to hear more about your ideas on the educational/exploration benefits, as we did just make a few changes to ... More

"Staff Augmentation Firm, NOT a Consulting Firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company tries to foster culture and relationships with outings, events, etc.
    Tries hard to represent employees as "consultants."

Cons

• Hardware and equipment was not up to date and I was not given proper hardware required for my job and had to purchase myself
    • Expenses were often paid late (sometimes 90 days)
    • Revel takes a higher percentage than other staffing firms (about 60% when other firms are taking 25%)
    • I never felt supported when I'd come to Revel with issues on my contract and ended up negotiating and dealing directly with my stakeholder
    • Contrary to popular belief, Revel does NOT offer bench pay (at least in my case). When your contract ends, you’re on your own (and on un-employment)
    • Managers, if you even know who your manager is since they switch so often, will not help you find a new role
    • Non-compete is very strict
    • Not a lot of forward growth
    • CEO's messages felt unstable, erratic even
    • Two different MSFT contractor roles I interviewed with this month questioned my time at Revel and both made comments that they will no longer work with Revel.

Advice to Management

You're a staffing firm. Please realize it. Stop taking so much pay from your employee's projects, especially when they have to find their own projects.

Or, help employees find new projects.

May 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We truly value this type of feedback. As a firm that believes in taking a human centered approach to our associates, we offer a few different ... More

8. "Overall, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture: people are encouraged to do what they're passionate about
    - Highly collaborative environment gives you a chance to learn from people you might not encounter in your day-to-day
    - Leadership really cares about what you have to say
    - EdEx benefits for continuing education and pursuing your passions

Cons

- Too much ambiguity, lack of clarity around what "opting-in" means
    - No clear path to advancement or growth
    - Your manager changes when you project changes; leads to lack of continuity

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Establishing a little more rigor around internal processes and associate development would go a long way.

May 11, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Revel. We are working on several exciting initiatives, including more structure around your ... More

9. "Great place to build a career!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and magnetic CEO who invests in his people.
    Opt in culture where it is up to you on how much you invest in the firm and your career
    Entrepreneurial culture focused on being at the forefront of industry trends and innovation
    Steady growth and impact
    Non-traditional consulting model and encouragement to be vulnerable with clients

Cons

Too much business tied to Microsoft staff augmentation roles, but diversification of client base has been a key focal point over the past few years

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The opt in model brings those most passionate about innovation and growth into the office, of which the ideal culture shapes around these individuals.

Sep 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback! We value hearing from our former associates and strive to continue providing a place for our associates to "opt-in" and grow their career ... More

"Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience! Friendly and smart people who are willing to provide help when you need it. Benefits are good! There is a fun for learning!

Cons

Project pipeline seems full, but not many projects available. The company seems to constantly hire consultants, but they seem to be on the bench more than on a project. They offer a salary and hourly option for consultants. The later may not be good if you are on the bench.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you had a great experience! We are constantly looking to fill our project pipeline with exciting and challenging opportunities for our ... More

"There's a lot of potential here"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

The conclusion of if this company is good for you depends on two questions - where are you in your career and what are you trying to get out of your consulting experience. For most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company but that doesn't mean you can't get some good things out of it. Revel enables associates to learn about new areas and if you can get through the client interview, even work in those areas. There are a lot of really nice and smart people here and a mix of average joes, so, there's probably a spot at the table for most. I would say that of this "class" of consulting firms (i.e. non-Big 4, non-boutique, local to PNW, 5-10 yrs in existence, expanding beyond Seattle) they are probably one of the better firms. The culture is vibrant and Revel plans some solid events to engage people and hope they continue to keep this up. Revel is making what seems to be smart moves to distinguish themselves in the market. That said, i don't think those moves will be fully realized for another 3-5 years (good luck riding that out).

Cons

As mentioned, for most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company. In 2-5 years, this may be a different story but for now, it's not a place that someone manager and below should/would stay longer than 2 maybe 3 years. The benefits are a bit paultry in some areas (e.g, $2k match for 401k) but expanding in others (paid maternity/paternity & family care leave).They'll trick you on the pay, so lock in that salary when you get it because you probably won't be jumping too much higher. Career planning is pretty much non-existent and I think it's less about their "opt-in" model/lack of internal structure and more about dodging folks who want raises. I can't say if it is a pro or a con but mix of clients is about the same as 80% of the other firms of similar size. If you're looking for all the accoutrements that one typically envisions when thinking of the consulting word, this isn't the bag for you.

Advice to Management

You have to tighten up that career planning process; some people go through it, other don't even know it exists. It's going to come back to bite you when people decide to leave rather than haggle with you on the salary. Balls up and set some expectations or at the very least come up with some paths that those who want to earn more can achieve this and the firm can also benefit.

Also, you have a lot of sharp trainings, resources, knowledge materials etc. in place that are truly quality products but you hardcore FAIL (D+) to "tie the bow" and push these resources out to consultants in a planned and coherent matter.

Please keep up the efforts to train and engage staff. These are the factors that distinguish you from firms in this crowded market.

Mar 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on how we can keep improving as a company. It is candid feedback like yours that helps us continue ... More