Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Reviews

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

"Revel is what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to explain the two different personas that have posted on Revel recently and why you get two extremes.

Persona 1: "Traditional Consultant" This person joins thinking Revel is a traditional MSFT "staffing company": Many traditional staffing companies in the Seattle area allow people to "coast" without supervision. I know people who work at Bridge Partners, Red Cloud, Matisia, Simplicity, etc. and part of the appeal is that these companies allow associates to rest on their laurels and do not challenge, or give associates the resources to stay relevant. Associates who join expecting to coast will not last long at Revel because Revel's projects are increasingly on the cutting edge of digital business transformation. The hard truth is that our clients want to work with associates who are relevant.

Persona 2: "Reimaged Consultant--Innovator" This person is about self-improvement and is agile. He/she takes advantage of the MASSIVE amount of learning and development offered by Revel, including $2,000/year, Community events, and volunteer for pro-bono work. Why? This person knows that in a digital world, we constantly need to reinvent ourselves and stay up-to-date on the latest processes and tools. This person will have opportunities once he/she rolls off projects or create their own opportunities. This person is also okay with the constant changes at Revel as he/she knows it is part of the new world--where everything is disrupted, evolving, and ambiguous.

Cons

If you are a traditional consultant and expect to coast on 30-40 hrs/week, this is not for you. You will hate it here and give a 1 or 2 star rating on Glassdoor when you leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay relevant, but communicate better. Keep Revelers up to date on new opportunities to plug in and evolve. Don't rely on managers to do this. Over communication is better than under communication. I also love our new work with Adobe. Let's continue to find ways to deliver end-to-end solutions.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate hearing from our associates. We are excited to have a new cadence of communications for our associates. Please be on the look out for newsletters... More

"Senior Associate"

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, nice offices downtown Seattle (if you work at HQ), great clients (Microsoft, T-Mobile, etc.), autonomy when on projects. Consider Revel if you are in between jobs and need time for your job search or figuring out the next steps in your career, but dont stay there too long.

Cons

Revel claims to be a consulting company but most projects are still staff aug. You really have to know people at HQ and put a lot of efforts in networking to land the more interesting projects (which is hard when you spend all your time at the customers), as the staffing process is totally opaque to consultants. Also, PTO is absolute minimum (2 weeks), bonuses are rare, and salary raises very minimal. The bench policy is inconsistent at best (some consultants get full pay, others get 50%, and some unlucky ones nada).

Advice to Management

Introduce more transparency in the staffing process (consultants should know what projects are open and be able to provide input on which they are most interested to join), have the same bench policy for everyone (full pay would be nice - people still have a mortgage and bills to pay when on bench), and increase PTO to 3 weeks (seems like the norm in high tech companies). Stop calling every projects "consulting" when many of them are clearly staff aug.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We truly value hearing from both current and past employees! Revel does have a dedicated resource manager, who works with our associates and leadership to ensure... More

3. "Relaxed atmosphere, nice people"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, a lot of opportunity to shape your own career and get involved in internal initiatives that can blossom into something to own and drive within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline of work was weak when I was there. Perhaps that has changed.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Revel strives to create a culture where our associates can thrive, shaping their own careers and goals. We are excited and confident in our pipeline of work in... More

"Smoke and Mirrors"

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Pockets of amazing people
    -For the most part, people cared about each other
    -Great learning opportunities
    -(some) out of the box thinking
    -Refreshing compared to other Seattle based staff augmentation firms

Cons

-They (leadership don't listen to the consulting or employee community. They lead you to believe they have feedback mechanisms but at the end of the day, they don't actually put weight into employee feedback.
    -Deep current of politics and ego here. Some of the leadership are overidden with ego, more so than other similar sized firms.
    -They are in love with sound of their own voices. They think their word is the only word, and put down competitive firms who are actually out-competing Revel.
    -They've had a slew of talent leave over the last few months - all with negative things to say about the firm.

Advice to Management

There is genius at the highest level of the company, but look just one level down and you are failing. Some of the leadership is not well-liked and are not the types of folks you would "grab a beer with." You know who you are. .

Learn humility. Learn how to actually leverage your team's experience and feedback. Stop switching directions every time the CEO has an epiphany. Revel had the opportunity to take things to the next level and be the next big thing... and if you learn to actually listen to what's going on there, you might still be able to.

"One persons review"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates have built a strong external community and support each other.

Cons

Every couple months there is a shift in the direction of the company. Leadership follows what is shiny at the moment and tries to sell it.

Advice to Management

Understand what the company wants to do. Set a direction and go with it for more then 6 months. Support the associates by informing them of whats going on - little to no communications to the majority of your employees.

"Revel Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

You have autonomy as long as you are chargeable.

Cons

you would need to strive not to be on the bench. If you are on the bench, might as well find another company to work for because they only have a small portfolio.

Advice to Management

Reward resources that sell you work and cultivate that program similar to Caiman consulting.

"More style than substance"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Most Revelers' hearts are in the right place; leaders profess a desire to be a different kind of consulting firm -- a tall order, particularly in the staff aug-dominated Seattle market. The office is beautiful (though lacking in some basic amenities) and speaks to the firm's desire to attract high-quality talent and clients. Pay is competitive, and depending on the project, work hours are flexible.

Cons

Revel is torn between its roots in staff augmentation and desire to be a true management consulting firm, resulting in mixed incentive structures and unclear messages. The CEO has failed to build out his leadership and management teams with seasoned talent, which leads to frequent changes of direction and associates left in the field with little support. The path to advancement is subjective, more dependent on the associate's relationship with senior leaders than his/her track record, and does not occur on a regular cadence.

Recently, Revel has begun moving some consultants to project contingent status (that is, no paid bench time), without communicating what the policy is and to whom it applies. This has created an environment of intense anxiety, as people no longer know if they will be paid if their project comes to an end. Meanwhile, the non-revenue-generating back office functions have ballooned, creating an enormous cost center with little demonstrated added value.

Revel says it wants to break the mold, but first it needs to master the core competencies of a professional services firm.

Advice to Management

Please create clear policies and communicate them out to all associates. Focus on core competencies rather than the shiny object. Show your consultants that you value them and recognize that you are responsible for their livelihoods. Focus on the long-term success of your employees and clients instead of going after the short-term win.

"Looking for a challenge?"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

To be fully transparent, I never pictured myself at an organization like Revel. Revel strives for “agile everything” in which the end goal is prioritized greater than following a process. To thrive in this type of environment, you need to maintain a flexible attitude coupled with an interesting mix of autonomy and collaboration. By nature, I am process oriented, struggle with ambiguous environments, and had never experienced the benefits of healthy collaboration.

And yet, almost a year and a half ago, I joined Revel and have not looked back once. I choose to come to work every day because I have never met more passionate, driven and intellectually curious people in my life. These people challenge me to ask why, inspire me to work harder and encourage me to step into uncomfortable situations in an effort to expand my current realm of perspective. And through it all, they offer the support and freedom to pursue what I love and be who I am.

If you are looking to join Revel in the near future, remember this— if you join, you will be stretched, challenged and driven to think in a way you never thought possible. However, in the midst of the journey, you will realize this new way of thinking will provide you with the tools to make a more tangible impact on your colleagues, clients and industry than ever before.

Cons

Revel is not perfect – they are experiencing the growing pains of an evolving organization striving to make innovative changes in the digital transformation space. As is often a byproduct of rapid evolution, structure and clear communication can at times be lacking from an associate perspective. With this being said, I am confident Revel knows where they want to be and are making the smart (and hard) decisions to get there.

Advice to Management

Continue to remind each employee of their value and place in the journey you are taking them on. And don't ever forget the power of passion and transparency.

Oct 11, 2016

Thank you so much for providing us the feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to walk us through your Revel journey, and are extremely pleased to hear you've had a challenging and... More

"Revel puts humans at the center of digital"

Pros

Seeing the transformation over my time at Revel, I find myself always coming back to the great feeling of knowing that not only does the firm believe in staying innovative, but also that any movement they make does not stray the focus of keeping people at the center. "Human-centered" is such a buzz word in the industry, but Revel truly lives out this principal and makes it more than just words, but tangible action. The human-centered way can be seen through the way associate's personal passion are emphasized just as much as their professional experience, with the idea that when you allow people to do what they love, amazing work is translated to the client. This deep philosophy not only provides associate satisfaction, but also seems to engage clients in a deeper way and build external relationships just as deep as internal. The community operating model also picks up this human-centered approach as the culmination of each community is centered around diverse expertise both in and out of the Revel walls. There truly are no barriers to the level of people mattering.

Recently, Revel hosted a Town Hall event to celebrate the firm's 10-year anniversary and welcome the full staff into the new downtown Seattle HQ. There was also a huge tribute to the employees who helped get us there. It is pretty cool when, after a video montage of the firms history, the CEO turns to the audience and does a toast to everyone for being the reason the firm is celebrating the past ten years. There was never once talk of one person or luck of the market, rather he truly contributed the firms success to the passionate and talented people that work here. It is moments like this where a digital consulting firm can recognize successes from the humans at the center of organization and mean every word of it that makes me proud to have chosen Revel as the place to grow my career.

Cons

As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected. Over the years the firm has grown quickly, and it has called for a mindset shift and willingness to be excited for the ambiguous ride. Everyone is different, but I made the decision to sit back and hang on to watch where this amazing place will go, and I have not wanted to get off yet!

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We are excited with the direction of the firm, and are very glad to know that you are also excited about where we are headed. Please feel free to... More

"Better than some firms, still a staffing firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultants are overall really nice and smart
    The pay is good; benefits are pretty good
    A few of the managers and Sr managers are good
    Some client roles are interesting
    Starting to diversify client base, but it's slow
    They don't seem to enforce non-compete
    Firm is more focused on innovation and staying ahead of clients than most companies
    Fairly flexible schedule depending on role

Cons

Leadership attrition is high
    Consultant attrition is fairly high, but that's the nature of staffing/consulting
    Many managers are not good or competent
    No guarantees they will get you the next role
    The business communities (service lines) are not where they should be; Transformation is huge and undefined. It's he staffing engine
    Heavily dependent on Microsoft
    The people in the office (HR, TA, etc.) are clicky and can be disingenuous

Advice to Management

Be honest about the communities, specifically Transformation. Keep investing in your people so they become more and more valuable. Stay selective with hiring. Don't pressure people to become Managers. Don't burn out current Managers.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It is extremely valuable for us to receive. As we continue to grow as an organization, we are focused and committed to diversifying... More