Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Reviews

Updated December 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

"One persons review"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates have built a strong external community and support each other.

Cons

Every couple months there is a shift in the direction of the company. Leadership follows what is shiny at the moment and tries to sell it.

Advice to Management

Understand what the company wants to do. Set a direction and go with it for more then 6 months. Support the associates by informing them of whats going on - little to no communications to the majority of your employees.

"Revel Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

You have autonomy as long as you are chargeable.

Cons

you would need to strive not to be on the bench. If you are on the bench, might as well find another company to work for because they only have a small portfolio.

Advice to Management

Reward resources that sell you work and cultivate that program similar to Caiman consulting.

"More style than substance"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Most Revelers' hearts are in the right place; leaders profess a desire to be a different kind of consulting firm -- a tall order, particularly in the staff aug-dominated Seattle market. The office is beautiful (though lacking in some basic amenities) and speaks to the firm's desire to attract high-quality talent and clients. Pay is competitive, and depending on the project, work hours are flexible.

Cons

Revel is torn between its roots in staff augmentation and desire to be a true management consulting firm, resulting in mixed incentive structures and unclear messages. The CEO has failed to build out his leadership and management teams with seasoned talent, which leads to frequent changes of direction and associates left in the field with little support. The path to advancement is subjective, more dependent on the associate's relationship with senior leaders than his/her track record, and does not occur on a regular cadence.

Recently, Revel has begun moving some consultants to project contingent status (that is, no paid bench time), without communicating what the policy is and to whom it applies. This has created an environment of intense anxiety, as people no longer know if they will be paid if their project comes to an end. Meanwhile, the non-revenue-generating back office functions have ballooned, creating an enormous cost center with little demonstrated added value.

Revel says it wants to break the mold, but first it needs to master the core competencies of a professional services firm.

Advice to Management

Please create clear policies and communicate them out to all associates. Focus on core competencies rather than the shiny object. Show your consultants that you value them and recognize that you are responsible for their livelihoods. Focus on the long-term success of your employees and clients instead of going after the short-term win.

"Looking for a challenge?"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

To be fully transparent, I never pictured myself at an organization like Revel. Revel strives for “agile everything” in which the end goal is prioritized greater than following a process. To thrive in this type of environment, you need to maintain a flexible attitude coupled with an interesting mix of autonomy and collaboration. By nature, I am process oriented, struggle with ambiguous environments, and had never experienced the benefits of healthy collaboration.

And yet, almost a year and a half ago, I joined Revel and have not looked back once. I choose to come to work every day because I have never met more passionate, driven and intellectually curious people in my life. These people challenge me to ask why, inspire me to work harder and encourage me to step into uncomfortable situations in an effort to expand my current realm of perspective. And through it all, they offer the support and freedom to pursue what I love and be who I am.

If you are looking to join Revel in the near future, remember this— if you join, you will be stretched, challenged and driven to think in a way you never thought possible. However, in the midst of the journey, you will realize this new way of thinking will provide you with the tools to make a more tangible impact on your colleagues, clients and industry than ever before.

Cons

Revel is not perfect – they are experiencing the growing pains of an evolving organization striving to make innovative changes in the digital transformation space. As is often a byproduct of rapid evolution, structure and clear communication can at times be lacking from an associate perspective. With this being said, I am confident Revel knows where they want to be and are making the smart (and hard) decisions to get there.

Advice to Management

Continue to remind each employee of their value and place in the journey you are taking them on. And don't ever forget the power of passion and transparency.

Oct 11, 2016

Thank you so much for providing us the feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to walk us through your Revel journey, and are extremely pleased to hear you've had a challenging and... More

"Revel puts humans at the center of digital"

Pros

Seeing the transformation over my time at Revel, I find myself always coming back to the great feeling of knowing that not only does the firm believe in staying innovative, but also that any movement they make does not stray the focus of keeping people at the center. "Human-centered" is such a buzz word in the industry, but Revel truly lives out this principal and makes it more than just words, but tangible action. The human-centered way can be seen through the way associate's personal passion are emphasized just as much as their professional experience, with the idea that when you allow people to do what they love, amazing work is translated to the client. This deep philosophy not only provides associate satisfaction, but also seems to engage clients in a deeper way and build external relationships just as deep as internal. The community operating model also picks up this human-centered approach as the culmination of each community is centered around diverse expertise both in and out of the Revel walls. There truly are no barriers to the level of people mattering.

Recently, Revel hosted a Town Hall event to celebrate the firm's 10-year anniversary and welcome the full staff into the new downtown Seattle HQ. There was also a huge tribute to the employees who helped get us there. It is pretty cool when, after a video montage of the firms history, the CEO turns to the audience and does a toast to everyone for being the reason the firm is celebrating the past ten years. There was never once talk of one person or luck of the market, rather he truly contributed the firms success to the passionate and talented people that work here. It is moments like this where a digital consulting firm can recognize successes from the humans at the center of organization and mean every word of it that makes me proud to have chosen Revel as the place to grow my career.

Cons

As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected. Over the years the firm has grown quickly, and it has called for a mindset shift and willingness to be excited for the ambiguous ride. Everyone is different, but I made the decision to sit back and hang on to watch where this amazing place will go, and I have not wanted to get off yet!

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We are excited with the direction of the firm, and are very glad to know that you are also excited about where we are headed. Please feel free to... More

"Better than some firms, still a staffing firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultants are overall really nice and smart
    The pay is good; benefits are pretty good
    A few of the managers and Sr managers are good
    Some client roles are interesting
    Starting to diversify client base, but it's slow
    They don't seem to enforce non-compete
    Firm is more focused on innovation and staying ahead of clients than most companies
    Fairly flexible schedule depending on role

Cons

Leadership attrition is high
    Consultant attrition is fairly high, but that's the nature of staffing/consulting
    Many managers are not good or competent
    No guarantees they will get you the next role
    The business communities (service lines) are not where they should be; Transformation is huge and undefined. It's he staffing engine
    Heavily dependent on Microsoft
    The people in the office (HR, TA, etc.) are clicky and can be disingenuous

Advice to Management

Be honest about the communities, specifically Transformation. Keep investing in your people so they become more and more valuable. Stay selective with hiring. Don't pressure people to become Managers. Don't burn out current Managers.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. It is extremely valuable for us to receive. As we continue to grow as an organization, we are focused and committed to diversifying... More

"7 Years Was 6 Years Too Long"

Pros

Ability to work independently and establish a manageable work life balance.

Cons

After 7 years (making me one of the most tenured employees, which should tell you something), I found my career stagnating with severely limited growth opportunities and capped pay. The quality of people and work significantly declined over my time at the Firm with most roles tending toward staff augmentation. Personal development was not supported in any meaningful way by Revel in terms of role opportunities or training. "Management" tended to be fluid, lacking in experience, trustworthy, or valuable in any way. Be aware of the internal marketing.

Advice to Management

Create effective incentives to build on employees skills and interests with a believable properly incentivized career path. Too often the talk never matched the actions. Lead by doing.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We appreciate the 7 years you spent with Revel, and wish we could have talked sooner to listen and address some of the concerns you mention... More

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice vibe, good work/life balance.

Cons

Organization is in motion with pretty ambitious goals, but it will take time before it can become effective. As of now a lot of overhead that does not translate in added value to employees.
    Standard benefits, no growth opportunity in the mid term.

Advice to Management

one thing at a time, and find a way to recognize that the bread and butter of the company comes from traditional business consulting and project management practices.

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write & post this review. We depend on hearing from our associates so that we can continue to create a culture for people to thrive. Revel has made many investments... More

9. "Great people and culture"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people and energy. Lots of avenues for skills-sharpening and new ideas.

Cons

Organizational clarity is sometimes lacking. Benefits are just so-so: 12 paid days off, small 401(k) match, middle-of-the-road medical, dental and vision.

Jul 5, 2016

Thank you for posting this review! We love hearing feedback from our Associates, as we strive to continuously improve our Associate experience/journey. We did add some additional benefits for... More

"Small political company, limited project opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small firm if you are looking for a company with less than 300 people. More visibility with the senior management team if you put in the effort.

Cons

Small firm doesn't mean it's more of a "family" atmosphere, still very political in office and very limited project opportunities in general. Don't trust what they promise you in the beginning. You rarely have a say in what projects you want to work in.

Advice to Management

You need to invest more time and opportunities in your people, actually care instead of pretending to care. Also adding more clients to your portfolio would be very helpful.

Jun 13, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We value hearing from our associates (and former associates) so that we can continuously improve our associate experience. We have refined our alignment process... More