Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Reviews

Updated December 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

"It’s all about the people…"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Revel for almost 7 years and I can say the reason why I've been here for so long are the people. The people are authentic, genuine, and continuously challenge me to be better. The human centered, opt-in, show don't tell culture gives me the space and opportunity to "see what can be.”

Cons

If you prefer long standing processes and steadiness, you may have a difficult time acclimating to Revel. Revel’s culture encourages innovation / entrepreneurial mindset which may lead to a period of uncertainty before clarity is achieved.

Advice to Management

Continue creating spaces to empower Revelers to foster their passions and continue to focus on growing Revel’s business opportunities within Washington and targeted markets.

Sep 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback! We truly appreciate hearing from our current associates. I'm thrilled that your experience has been rewarding and challenging. We... More

"Staff Augmentation Firm, NOT a Consulting Firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company tries to foster culture and relationships with outings, events, etc.
    Tries hard to represent employees as "consultants."

Cons

• Hardware and equipment was not up to date and I was not given proper hardware required for my job and had to purchase myself
    • Expenses were often paid late (sometimes 90 days)
    • Revel takes a higher percentage than other staffing firms (about 60% when other firms are taking 25%)
    • I never felt supported when I'd come to Revel with issues on my contract and ended up negotiating and dealing directly with my stakeholder
    • Contrary to popular belief, Revel does NOT offer bench pay (at least in my case). When your contract ends, you’re on your own (and on un-employment)
    • Managers, if you even know who your manager is since they switch so often, will not help you find a new role
    • Non-compete is very strict
    • Not a lot of forward growth
    • CEO's messages felt unstable, erratic even
    • Two different MSFT contractor roles I interviewed with this month questioned my time at Revel and both made comments that they will no longer work with Revel.

Advice to Management

You're a staffing firm. Please realize it. Stop taking so much pay from your employee's projects, especially when they have to find their own projects.

Or, help employees find new projects.

May 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. We truly value this type of feedback. As a firm that believes in taking a human centered approach to our associates, we offer a few different... More

3. "Overall, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture: people are encouraged to do what they're passionate about
    - Highly collaborative environment gives you a chance to learn from people you might not encounter in your day-to-day
    - Leadership really cares about what you have to say
    - EdEx benefits for continuing education and pursuing your passions

Cons

- Too much ambiguity, lack of clarity around what "opting-in" means
    - No clear path to advancement or growth
    - Your manager changes when you project changes; leads to lack of continuity

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Establishing a little more rigor around internal processes and associate development would go a long way.

May 11, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Revel. We are working on several exciting initiatives, including more structure around your... More

4. "Great place to build a career!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and magnetic CEO who invests in his people.
    Opt in culture where it is up to you on how much you invest in the firm and your career
    Entrepreneurial culture focused on being at the forefront of industry trends and innovation
    Steady growth and impact
    Non-traditional consulting model and encouragement to be vulnerable with clients

Cons

Too much business tied to Microsoft staff augmentation roles, but diversification of client base has been a key focal point over the past few years

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The opt in model brings those most passionate about innovation and growth into the office, of which the ideal culture shapes around these individuals.

Sep 13, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback! We value hearing from our former associates and strive to continue providing a place for our associates to "opt-in" and grow their... More

"Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience! Friendly and smart people who are willing to provide help when you need it. Benefits are good! There is a fun for learning!

Cons

Project pipeline seems full, but not many projects available. The company seems to constantly hire consultants, but they seem to be on the bench more than on a project. They offer a salary and hourly option for consultants. The later may not be good if you are on the bench.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you had a great experience! We are constantly looking to fill our project pipeline with exciting and challenging opportunities for our... More

"There's a lot of potential here"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

The conclusion of if this company is good for you depends on two questions - where are you in your career and what are you trying to get out of your consulting experience. For most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company but that doesn't mean you can't get some good things out of it. Revel enables associates to learn about new areas and if you can get through the client interview, even work in those areas. There are a lot of really nice and smart people here and a mix of average joes, so, there's probably a spot at the table for most. I would say that of this "class" of consulting firms (i.e. non-Big 4, non-boutique, local to PNW, 5-10 yrs in existence, expanding beyond Seattle) they are probably one of the better firms. The culture is vibrant and Revel plans some solid events to engage people and hope they continue to keep this up. Revel is making what seems to be smart moves to distinguish themselves in the market. That said, i don't think those moves will be fully realized for another 3-5 years (good luck riding that out).

Cons

As mentioned, for most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company. In 2-5 years, this may be a different story but for now, it's not a place that someone manager and below should/would stay longer than 2 maybe 3 years. The benefits are a bit paultry in some areas (e.g, $2k match for 401k) but expanding in others (paid maternity/paternity & family care leave).They'll trick you on the pay, so lock in that salary when you get it because you probably won't be jumping too much higher. Career planning is pretty much non-existent and I think it's less about their "opt-in" model/lack of internal structure and more about dodging folks who want raises. I can't say if it is a pro or a con but mix of clients is about the same as 80% of the other firms of similar size. If you're looking for all the accoutrements that one typically envisions when thinking of the consulting word, this isn't the bag for you.

Advice to Management

You have to tighten up that career planning process; some people go through it, other don't even know it exists. It's going to come back to bite you when people decide to leave rather than haggle with you on the salary. Balls up and set some expectations or at the very least come up with some paths that those who want to earn more can achieve this and the firm can also benefit.

Also, you have a lot of sharp trainings, resources, knowledge materials etc. in place that are truly quality products but you hardcore FAIL (D+) to "tie the bow" and push these resources out to consultants in a planned and coherent matter.

Please keep up the efforts to train and engage staff. These are the factors that distinguish you from firms in this crowded market.

Mar 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on how we can keep improving as a company. It is candid feedback like yours that helps us continue... More

"Typical Staffing Firm"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Better than average pay and a pretty good reputation locally.
    * Tries harder than many other companies to at least present itself as a true consulting firm.

Cons

* Every single person who was part of my interview loop from the recruiter to the director level, was gone from the company within the first year of my time there.

* Be aware that the company is a bodyshop, period. Once you find out that your engagement is ending you need to do the work to find yourself a new one, don't count on anyone from Revel contacting you even if your account manager, director, etc., says otherwise.

* The bench pay myth is a problem in more ways than one. To be fair, I never expected it to true, so that's not really the issue. The issue is that there are people in the Seattle area that think Revel pays bench pay. So, when you're former Reveler looking for a job and your time at Microsoft ended just a month or so prior, interviewers often questions like "I don't understand why you left Revel, why didn't you take the bench pay and just wait for a new role?" Now if the conversation ended with the former Revel employee noting that there isn't bench pay, it wouldn't be an issue. However, I've been in a few situations where the interviewer responded that they were pretty sure that Revel had bench pay, or had heard there was.

I think these situations put questions marks on ex-Revelers.

In the end I found a great new place to work and so did a lot of my fellow Revelers who got let go by Microsoft, but I can't help but wonder if it slowed down our searches, especially when I know I wasn't the only one to get asked about bench pay.

Advice to Management

*Fix the retention issue at HQ, it's hard for new people to feel comfortable and as if they can build a career at Revel if the people who brought them into the company are all gone within 6-12 months.

* Be honest about things like bench pay, and about the fact that the company is staffing firm, period.

*Create a bona-fide redeployment program aimed at retaining consultants beyond their initial engagement. We're all on LinkedIn together, and we see what happens to our colleagues when their engagements end, more often then no, they wind up working somewhere else.

Mar 15, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide this candid feedback. I appreciate you bringing these details to our attention. We are constantly working on improving communications to our associates and... More

"Fun culture but flawed consulting model"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Co-workers are fun and down to earth
    - Pay is above average for the most part

Cons

- Projects seem very staff aug heavy, with little room for those that align with your interests
    - Seemed like your on your own many times, with hardly any company interaction

Advice to Management

- With Seattle's ever growing and competative consulting market, your brand needs something more elite to really get ahead, or at least get business that is top notch and not bottom feaders.

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Renton, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Smaller company. Easy to navigate and reach out directly to others within the company, including senior leadership. Regular development offerings such as Foundry for ongoing development, if you choose to opt-in.

Cons

Diversity of the the client portfolio can be limited. This is growing and evolving however.

"Senior consultant"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Revel gives you the freedom to pick your destiny and pave your own unique path.

Cons

Bonus and paid time off is below standard.