Revel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Reviews

Updated March 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it (in 4 reviews)

• As any maturing firm experiences, growing pains are to be expected (in 5 reviews)

"Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great people, fun company, interesting work.

Cons

Not a very good bench policy when between positions.

2. "Growing Fast!"

Current Employee - Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, making big moves!

Awesome leadership!

Perfect place for a climber!

Cons

Typical growing pains of a fast growing company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Shady"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA

Pros

Nice people in the field.

Cons

The Foundry (office) can't be trusted. They bait and switch on the benefits and concept of paying bench 50%. Be careful - the folks in the field are great but leadership is shady.

Advice to Management

Provide nice laptops, at least to those in technology. The ones you are providing are so old -- downright shameful.

"Not a great place if you are a seasoned technology professional"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart people, there are for the most part a number of extremely talented folks working here. I do not think the company necessarily does a fantastic job of putting in the right places or in a position to succeed, but the talent is there.
    - Good pay
    - They are willing to give opportunities to people from different backgrounds. I was one of these hires. I appreciate the opportunity.

Cons

- Basically another run of the mill body shop consulting company in the Seattle are trying to be something more. Unfortunately I do not think they are succeeding.
    - High turnover. I left the company last year and almost everybody that I knew or worked with there is now gone.
    - This could have just been my client, so my experience may not be indicative as a whole but the sales/leadership team really did not do a great job of building a portfolio or expertise within the company.
    - As I mentioned before, there are a lot of talented people who are put in the wrong spots. Revel is a small company trying to grow and as a result has rushed to put people in spots they may not be ready for. This is from the top down. As a result a majority if the newer employees are mismanaged and given no direction to succeed and grow as an individual. You are pretty much left to your own devices to figure things out at the client site.
    - No true technology expects at the company. Company is trying to be more of a marketing/strategy company. No real technology talent here. Stay away if you want to be a technology expert.
    - There is a clear "in" crowd. You do your part to be in that crowd, you reap the rewards.
    - Unprofessional upper management. Sorry, but I do not really care to see my upper level managers going out and buying bottles at night clubs. I want to see them actively trying to grow talent and grow the company. I've seen your sales pitches and materials and even to a low level employee like myself, they seem woefully underwhelming.

Advice to Management

I think company has the talent in house to succeed. However, focus more on developing that talent and do not just pay lip service to caring. It seems my experience of being thrown on a project and left there on my own is not an uncommon one. Occasional meetings with management that clearly has no experience to warrant being there (I felt like I had 10x more experience doing what I was doing than my "manager") or occasional after work sessions do not count as talent development. I understand that you need to stack the Glassdoor deck (ie kindly nudge current employees to write positive reviews) in order to attract talent, but the feeling as a former employee is that management cares more about that than actually keeping the current employees engaged and happy.

"Great culture, people and projects"

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best culture I have experienced. The talent acquisition team is very professional and the managers are reliable and knowledgeable.

Cons

More clients would be very beneficial, but we have recently expanded the BD department and expect many more clients by EOY.

6. "Excellent organization with a strong culture that focuses on intrinsic motivations - love it here!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership has a clear grasp on the direction of the firm. There's a constant focus on quality - just when you think perfection is achieved the quality bar is raised. Keeps the fire alive.

Cons

Would like to see more communication around lines of business. For those connected to HQ this flow of information is organic.

Advice to Management

Keep focused and continue trusting in the vision. Clients and associates are loyal to this organization and the value it creates everyday.

"Just another contract company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay and good medical benefits.

Cons

Your just another number. Don't expect them to find you another role when your contract ends. No vacation pay or matching 401K.

Advice to Management

Remember that those that work for you are people not just another number.

Revel Consulting Response

Jul 2, 2014 – Associate

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As Revel continues to grow and evolve, candid feedback like yours helps us refine our navigation and ensure all of the exciting changes we’ve... More

"Great place for those who are tired of the corporate ladder but still seeking professional excellence"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Revel has a great culture w/lots of fun, smart people. The compensation and benefits are competitive, especially if you consider that the work is not nearly as demanding as the bigger firms (no travel, reasonable hours, great life/work balance, etc.). For being such a small firm it invests impressively in its people, with training funds, seminars, meetups, lunches, etc, all part of the standard program. There is a core belief that if you hire good people and give them the space and flexibility to perform, they will reciprocate and exceed expectations-- thus far it seems to be working! The work is largely in the project management space but as Revelers gain client's trust more interesting design/strategy pieces are forthcoming. The HQ has a fun open vibe and many Revelers check in here at least every couple weeks; it also provides good support to the consultants in the field. Revel hires an interesting mix of backgrounds, believing more in the need to get generally smart people that fit w/the firm culture than people with specific skill sets for the immediate project in question. Refreshingly flat hierarchy; lots of smart very committed people but surprisingly few egos-- having worked in a number of private and public sector entities I can safely say it is the best place I've worked thus far.

Cons

Some of the Revelers are fairly disconnected from the rest of the firm (and HQ) and may spend months working on a project without much support-- however this is usually more their choice than by HQ design. More effort is being made to create a "firm culture" and provide regular outreach/touchpoints with everyone, to increase the benefits of working together across a firm. Some projects are more interesting than others and you often don't have a lot of choice, as in most consulting firms (unless you actually sell the work). Engagements are typically longer due to the fact that they are often re-engineering/implementing business processes in larger firms, rather than simply delivering strategies. This is both a pro & a con as one gets to see more of how the clients actually work (by working alongside them instead of just for them). Also for those below the management tier there isn't always a lot of transparency around the firm strategy/goals and progress.

Advice to Management

Overall great work moving towards the "One Revel" strategy; the culture seems to be improving with the addition of more internal activities for Revelers. Continue fostering a culture that promotes openness and feedback.

"Small but doing big things!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance, flexible work schedule, Good compensation, Valuable networking events, entrepreneurial culture encouraging innovative problem solving methods.

Cons

Career progression not clear for junior associates. Sometimes associates are scheduled on a project because of the need rather than the associates interest/passion.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the activities you are currently doing - Foundry, leadership lunches, happy hour collaboration meetings, Community involvement activities.

"Creative environment for the aspiring consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many career opportunities and management encourages its people to pursue their interests. Great collaborative environment with exciting possibilities and talent.

Cons

This free-spirit environment may not fit with those who are used to a lot of structure.

Advice to Management

Continue to assign structure where necessary to benefit the overall experience