Revel Consulting "bench pay" Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Employee Reviews about "bench pay"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Always Pushing Forward.."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Fortunate to continually to be working with amazing people over my eight plus years here at Revel. Great place to work, learn and be challenged. It's definitely not a place for apathy, constantly moving and providing opportunities to learn and move the needle.

Cons

Must take initiative on career goals/path. I noticed that those who do best 'opt-in' to the available opportunities to build skills and experiences . Not for those that are passive as pace dictates ability to continually learn and be adaptable to change/transformation.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Revel Consulting for almost 3 years. The people at Revel are who make this company. I found my fellow Revelers to be smart dedicated people that I enjoyed interacting with without exception. The Revel Management genuinely looks out for its employees and actively works to provide opportunities for growth and collaboration. Overall I had a great experience and I am very appreciative of my time working for them. I would highly recommend the company to any future employees.

Cons

Working for any consulting company comes with the risk of ending up on the Bench. I was able to leverage one long term assignment into another and stayed off the bench during my entire tenure of with Revel. It is always best to keep in mind that you are ultimately your own best advocate for getting work and staying busy.

Sep 21, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I'm ecstatic to know that the community model proved to be valuable during your time with Revel! We have several spaces, in which leadership (Community Leads) discuss... More

"Stay far away for peace of mind"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel can pay you a decent salary when you're staffed.
    Revel has decent people at the consultant level, and if you're paired with another consultant (rare) it can elevate the experience you have.

Cons

Zero investment in employees, like zero.
    Sink or swim atmosphere.
    Poor communication throughout the entire company.
    Lack of a consistent review process.
    Managers are asked to do too much (e.g. sell, deliver, run staffing processes) and have no support.
    CEO has a HUGE ego and will do anything to make a buck, but despises anyone who disagrees with him.
    Revolving door - within 6 months almost all the people you started with will have moved on to new companies.
    40 hour work week is inconsistent depending on project, you will not be paid OT even if client work requires extra time.
    Client list is nonexistent, you will be in Redmond and after 18months you're at risk for keeping your job.
    Company values are lip service, I experienced dishonest business dealings on several occasions.
    You may experience lots of time on the bench if the pipeline is thin, which occurs regularly. If you can't find your next project on your own, then you're done.
    Projects are staff aug, not consulting. You'll go aimlessly from project to project with gaps in between where you're getting a reduced bench rate.
    No choice in projects, you'll do whatever they ask you to do or you'll be shown the door.
    Poor leadership throughout the leadership ranks. The CEO and leaders of recruiting and business development have no clue what they're doing. There's no strategy at this firm for the direction of the firm. It's all marketing, but no action. On the outside it looks like the place is put together, but if you work there you'll be disappointed within a couple months.
    Lack of view into the pipeline. I got the impression this was done on purpose because they didn't want employees to see that there was no work coming in.
    They lay people off, have massive holiday parties, and hire people to do the same job of people they laid off.
    Everyone that works there is new which means the place has no culture or identity, and no real guidelines it's a frat house.

I could go on forever, bottom line is this place is amateur. If you REALLY need a job, it's a good place to get a paycheck before you find your next opportunity, but it's definitely not a place to build a career or your resume. The same problems have persisted with this firm for the entire time I worked there, and there were no signs of any changes coming. People realize this quickly and they leave.

Advice to Management

Another rebrand isn't going to help Revel. If you're serious about running this company (which I don't think you are), then invest in your employees instead of delivering lip service. My sense is that nobody really cares as long as the brass is making money. An "open-door" is lip service, do something.

Sep 21, 2017 – CEO

Immediate reaction (head) is to ‘thank you for the feedback’ demonstrating appreciation for the time you took to transfer these thoughts – it’s not easy. My feelings (heart) have quickly pivoted... More

"Staffing firm pretending to be comparable to Big 4 consulting"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consultants in the field are generally nice, smart folks to work with.

Cons

Their model is closer to that of a staffing firm. No team-based projects or deep customer pipeline like you would have at a Big 4 consulting firm. Consultants are viewed as interchangeable by HQ and account managers.

Their work is almost exclusively MS staffing. As you get close to the 18 month vendor time limit @ MSFT, make sure you have a backup plan.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the project-dependent staffing model.

Sep 20, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. Whilst it’s disappointing to hear about your experience, we’re definitely listening and there’s an obvious trend and gap between perception (lack of project pipeline & low... More

"Senior Associate - Lack of Projects"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting approach (flywheel), many fun co-workers, company has great potential. Great compensation, benefits.

Cons

Lack of projects. You don't get much say as to which projects you will be on. If you end up without a project, you are likely to get let go. You are hired as a "project resource" with no guarantee of subsequent projects. With a limited portfolio, expect unemployment after your 1st project. While the company tries to act like a true consulting firm, it still feels like a staff augmentation shop.

Sep 20, 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for the feedback and personal/sincerest apologies for the fragmented experience. There's no excuse for misalignment of expectations. As the firm continues on its trajectory from staffing... More

"Making it work..."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally see myself trying to make the best of any situation – the type of work and the range of clients (good to bad) included. People ask me what it is like working here? Before I answer I ask them what their current/previous experience was at their firm/company. Based on their response I would counter that they would experience the same here – hopefully slightly better.
    I’ve worked with great consultants who have come and gone, and for those who continue to look (for whatever reasons) generally have good things to say that they miss about Revel when compared to the other firms.

Cons

Should be more ways to incentivize people to do more away from family & friends. Revel is great with community events and extra-curricular activities that foster team work and collaboration. But if I’m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it. There has to be a way to monetize contributions and IP that drive better results/deliverables for our existing and new clients.

Advice to Management

I’m happy in the type of work that I do – and feel that I’m one of those types that ‘know how to engineer things…’ to keep the work coming. Revel helps with the ‘why we do things…’. I can see how others might perceive management is jumping from one big bet to another but I’m on the fence in whether I would correlate that to a fault. This is a highly evolving space, and I see people way smarter than me trying to take stabs at it from different angles. I like knowing our company is chasing down those big bets and Revel provides us the opportunity to jump in if you so feel inclined to do so.

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We truly appreciate your feedback, and am excited to hear that Revel provides a challenging environment that keeps you engaged and happy on your... More

"A great place to get involved"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel is a place where you take action in your career and people with engage with you. It's a smaller company, so people come in with the big consulting firm mind-set. Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule. You see many negative reviews about the company from people who aren't actively engaged in the culture, and that is natural for any smaller, growing company. If you want to be involved in everything Revel is doing around digital business transformation, then you can be in the middle of it, if you want to have a balanced life, do great work, and be home each day at the same time, Revel supports that as well and treats everyone as an individual.

Cons

Given Revel is a smaller company, it can 'shift' constantly which can be a blessing and a curse. Things are attempted, trialed, and ended, with the communication sometimes being an afterthought. This can be frustrating at times where communication and newsletters don't seem to be on a regular schedule. If you want a company that pushes you do to do things then Revel isn't the place, if you want to push yourself and grow, then Revel has those opportunities if you're willing to put in extra.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in messaging and actions. Consistency in communication with all Revelers is key to keeping people engaged.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with Revel! We appreciate any and all feedback :-). We just announced our new communications schedule including upcoming newsletters, town halls, CEO Circle, and... More

"Growing Seattle Consulting firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline is evolving which makes for uncertainty at the delivery level with regards to available projects.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on evolving the pipeline (types of projects) to more of a value contributors rather than staff augmentation. Expand on your digital transformation focus and maybe have dedicated development teams (Agile in nature including Architects, DEVs and Testing resources) that can take on multiple project and capable of designing, implementing and iterating on digital solutions.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback! We truly value hearing from our employees. We are continuing to invest in all of our communities so that we remain ahead in the digital... More

9. "A rewarding role"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

10. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More