Revel Consulting "big 4" Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Employee Reviews about "big 4"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Revel Consulting for almost 3 years. The people at Revel are who make this company. I found my fellow Revelers to be smart dedicated people that I enjoyed interacting with without exception. The Revel Management genuinely looks out for its employees and actively works to provide opportunities for growth and collaboration. Overall I had a great experience and I am very appreciative of my time working for them. I would highly recommend the company to any future employees.

Cons

Working for any consulting company comes with the risk of ending up on the Bench. I was able to leverage one long term assignment into another and stayed off the bench during my entire tenure of with Revel. It is always best to keep in mind that you are ultimately your own best advocate for getting work and staying busy.

2. "Staffing firm pretending to be comparable to Big 4 consulting"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consultants in the field are generally nice, smart folks to work with.

Cons

Their model is closer to that of a staffing firm. No team-based projects or deep customer pipeline like you would have at a Big 4 consulting firm. Consultants are viewed as interchangeable by HQ and account managers.

Their work is almost exclusively MS staffing. As you get close to the 18 month vendor time limit @ MSFT, make sure you have a backup plan.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the project-dependent staffing model.

"Senior Associate - Lack of Projects"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting approach (flywheel), many fun co-workers, company has great potential. Great compensation, benefits.

Cons

Lack of projects. You don't get much say as to which projects you will be on. If you end up without a project, you are likely to get let go. You are hired as a "project resource" with no guarantee of subsequent projects. With a limited portfolio, expect unemployment after your 1st project. While the company tries to act like a true consulting firm, it still feels like a staff augmentation shop.

4. "Making it work..."

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally see myself trying to make the best of any situation – the type of work and the range of clients (good to bad) included. People ask me what it is like working here? Before I answer I ask them what their current/previous experience was at their firm/company. Based on their response I would counter that they would experience the same here – hopefully slightly better.
    I’ve worked with great consultants who have come and gone, and for those who continue to look (for whatever reasons) generally have good things to say that they miss about Revel when compared to the other firms.

Cons

Should be more ways to incentivize people to do more away from family & friends. Revel is great with community events and extra-curricular activities that foster team work and collaboration. But if I’m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it. There has to be a way to monetize contributions and IP that drive better results/deliverables for our existing and new clients.

Advice to Management

I’m happy in the type of work that I do – and feel that I’m one of those types that ‘know how to engineer things…’ to keep the work coming. Revel helps with the ‘why we do things…’. I can see how others might perceive management is jumping from one big bet to another but I’m on the fence in whether I would correlate that to a fault. This is a highly evolving space, and I see people way smarter than me trying to take stabs at it from different angles. I like knowing our company is chasing down those big bets and Revel provides us the opportunity to jump in if you so feel inclined to do so.

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We truly appreciate your feedback, and am excited to hear that Revel provides a challenging environment that keeps you engaged and happy on your... More

"A great place to get involved"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel is a place where you take action in your career and people with engage with you. It's a smaller company, so people come in with the big consulting firm mind-set. Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule. You see many negative reviews about the company from people who aren't actively engaged in the culture, and that is natural for any smaller, growing company. If you want to be involved in everything Revel is doing around digital business transformation, then you can be in the middle of it, if you want to have a balanced life, do great work, and be home each day at the same time, Revel supports that as well and treats everyone as an individual.

Cons

Given Revel is a smaller company, it can 'shift' constantly which can be a blessing and a curse. Things are attempted, trialed, and ended, with the communication sometimes being an afterthought. This can be frustrating at times where communication and newsletters don't seem to be on a regular schedule. If you want a company that pushes you do to do things then Revel isn't the place, if you want to push yourself and grow, then Revel has those opportunities if you're willing to put in extra.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in messaging and actions. Consistency in communication with all Revelers is key to keeping people engaged.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with Revel! We appreciate any and all feedback :-). We just announced our new communications schedule including upcoming newsletters, town halls, CEO Circle, and... More

"Growing Seattle Consulting firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline is evolving which makes for uncertainty at the delivery level with regards to available projects.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on evolving the pipeline (types of projects) to more of a value contributors rather than staff augmentation. Expand on your digital transformation focus and maybe have dedicated development teams (Agile in nature including Architects, DEVs and Testing resources) that can take on multiple project and capable of designing, implementing and iterating on digital solutions.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback! We truly value hearing from our employees. We are continuing to invest in all of our communities so that we remain ahead in the digital... More

7. "A rewarding role"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

8. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More

"Revel is what you make of it!"

Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Revel Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I want to explain the two different personas that have posted on Revel recently and why you get two extremes.

Persona 1: "Traditional Consultant" This person joins thinking Revel is a traditional MSFT "staffing company": Many traditional staffing companies in the Seattle area allow people to "coast" without supervision. I know people who work at Bridge Partners, Red Cloud, Matisia, Simplicity, etc. and part of the appeal is that these companies allow associates to rest on their laurels and do not challenge, or give associates the resources to stay relevant. Associates who join expecting to coast will not last long at Revel because Revel's projects are increasingly on the cutting edge of digital business transformation. The hard truth is that our clients want to work with associates who are relevant.

Persona 2: "Reimaged Consultant--Innovator" This person is about self-improvement and is agile. He/she takes advantage of the MASSIVE amount of learning and development offered by Revel, including $2,000/year, Community events, and volunteer for pro-bono work. Why? This person knows that in a digital world, we constantly need to reinvent ourselves and stay up-to-date on the latest processes and tools. This person will have opportunities once he/she rolls off projects or create their own opportunities. This person is also okay with the constant changes at Revel as he/she knows it is part of the new world--where everything is disrupted, evolving, and ambiguous.

Cons

If you are a traditional consultant and expect to coast on 30-40 hrs/week, this is not for you. You will hate it here and give a 1 or 2 star rating on Glassdoor when you leave.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay relevant, but communicate better. Keep Revelers up to date on new opportunities to plug in and evolve. Don't rely on managers to do this. Over communication is better than under communication. I also love our new work with Adobe. Let's continue to find ways to deliver end-to-end solutions.

Aug 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! We truly appreciate hearing from our associates. We are excited to have a new cadence of communications for our associates. Please be on the look out for newsletters... More

"Senior Associate"

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, nice offices downtown Seattle (if you work at HQ), great clients (Microsoft, T-Mobile, etc.), autonomy when on projects. Consider Revel if you are in between jobs and need time for your job search or figuring out the next steps in your career, but dont stay there too long.

Cons

Revel claims to be a consulting company but most projects are still staff aug. You really have to know people at HQ and put a lot of efforts in networking to land the more interesting projects (which is hard when you spend all your time at the customers), as the staffing process is totally opaque to consultants. Also, PTO is absolute minimum (2 weeks), bonuses are rare, and salary raises very minimal. The bench policy is inconsistent at best (some consultants get full pay, others get 50%, and some unlucky ones nada).

Advice to Management

Introduce more transparency in the staffing process (consultants should know what projects are open and be able to provide input on which they are most interested to join), have the same bench policy for everyone (full pay would be nice - people still have a mortgage and bills to pay when on bench), and increase PTO to 3 weeks (seems like the norm in high tech companies). Stop calling every projects "consulting" when many of them are clearly staff aug.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We truly value hearing from both current and past employees! Revel does have a dedicated resource manager, who works with our associates and leadership to ensure... More