Revel Consulting "big 4" Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Employee Reviews about "big 4"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Challenge yourself, make an impact, and have a life"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Revel has undergone dramatic investment in its operations and structure in the last few years. Most reviews on Glassdoor are sadly from the old guard. Leadership is completely committed to creating a place where people have enough support and infrastructure to fuel their creativity, while eliminating the bureaucracy, politics, and in-fighting often seen in the ranks of the Big 4.

I spent 5yrs as a Senior Consultant and in Management at a Big 4, and can attest to how refreshing it is to be empowered to learn what I want to learn, explore POCs I want to explore, and chase the projects I want to chase. I can own my successes and failures here, and reallocate the time I would have otherwise spent traveling weekly or navigating politics into building IP and eminence where my interests are, connecting with my community, working out, and having a life. Also, I don't travel, and I come home to my family every night.

More than anything, the biggest difference is how human-centered design has been baked into Revel's way of treating its consultants and its clients as actual people. It's not just how we approach client projects; The Community Leads are there for each other, and there for their people. Servant leadership and humility come from the top down; our CEO, Vikas Kamran, frequently thanks people personally for their efforts, and says it's *his* pleasure to serve *us*. Again, a very refreshing take on consulting.

Cons

Not being a Big4, Revel doesn't have 25,000 people in its practice, with 2,000 Partners that all have 30yrs of experience each. So, you're not able to take your pick from 25 world experts about any random question that comes up. We do, though, have deep expertise in the areas we compete, so you will be able to find at least a few people to ask questions to, and thankfully, people are eager to help each other out.

Advice to Management

As Revel grows, maintain the focus we have on being people-centered, and provide transparency into the vision for growth. Keep making investments in our learning and development, and offering ways for folks to give back through non-profit partnerships like Treehouse.

"There's a lot of potential here"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

The conclusion of if this company is good for you depends on two questions - where are you in your career and what are you trying to get out of your consulting experience. For most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company but that doesn't mean you can't get some good things out of it. Revel enables associates to learn about new areas and if you can get through the client interview, even work in those areas. There are a lot of really nice and smart people here and a mix of average joes, so, there's probably a spot at the table for most. I would say that of this "class" of consulting firms (i.e. non-Big 4, non-boutique, local to PNW, 5-10 yrs in existence, expanding beyond Seattle) they are probably one of the better firms. The culture is vibrant and Revel plans some solid events to engage people and hope they continue to keep this up. Revel is making what seems to be smart moves to distinguish themselves in the market. That said, i don't think those moves will be fully realized for another 3-5 years (good luck riding that out).

Cons

As mentioned, for most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company. In 2-5 years, this may be a different story but for now, it's not a place that someone manager and below should/would stay longer than 2 maybe 3 years. The benefits are a bit paultry in some areas (e.g, $2k match for 401k) but expanding in others (paid maternity/paternity & family care leave).They'll trick you on the pay, so lock in that salary when you get it because you probably won't be jumping too much higher. Career planning is pretty much non-existent and I think it's less about their "opt-in" model/lack of internal structure and more about dodging folks who want raises. I can't say if it is a pro or a con but mix of clients is about the same as 80% of the other firms of similar size. If you're looking for all the accoutrements that one typically envisions when thinking of the consulting word, this isn't the bag for you.

Advice to Management

You have to tighten up that career planning process; some people go through it, other don't even know it exists. It's going to come back to bite you when people decide to leave rather than haggle with you on the salary. Balls up and set some expectations or at the very least come up with some paths that those who want to earn more can achieve this and the firm can also benefit.

Also, you have a lot of sharp trainings, resources, knowledge materials etc. in place that are truly quality products but you hardcore FAIL (D+) to "tie the bow" and push these resources out to consultants in a planned and coherent matter.

Please keep up the efforts to train and engage staff. These are the factors that distinguish you from firms in this crowded market.

Revel Consulting Response

Mar 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on how we can keep improving as a company. It is candid feedback like yours that helps us continue... More

"Cultivating the entrepreneurial spirit"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

- high caliber professionals from Big 4 and consulting firms
    - ability to make impact on culture and environment immediately
    - professionals function with an entrepreneurial spirit
    - rapid growth represents healthy business
    - fun place to work in and out of the office

Cons

- small start-up environment does not enable much training for the less-experienced
    - not a good place for people who need lots of structure

"Life changing - it opened my eyes to a different type of consulting & how I could positively affect a client's work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Revel opened doors that I didn't see in my prior Big 4 consulting days. They provided very challenging projects with direct access to smart and driven clients. It allowed me to have direct impact to my client's projects and their lives. In addition, my manager and lead provided coaching and direction on a bi-weekly to month basis to help drive greater value to the client. They also proactively identified risks to the project, connected me to other consultants that had related projects, and pointed me to best practices and templates I could leverage for the project. They continued to push me to implement positive change longer-term with the client.

Cons

Some of the projects are understaffed and thus are extremely challenging to manage client demands and work life balance. With start-up initiatives, I understand that's the case - but there is area for improvement in terms of setting client expectations and scope prior to beginning a project.

"A breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

Pros

I love the culture at Revel. What attracted me to Revel was the dedication to client delivery as well as the great people here. At Revel, I've been able to leverage my previous big 4 consulting experiences and my MBA education to develop and deliver world-class solutions to my clients. I love that my engagements are locally based so there is no travel required and I'm home by 5pm most evenings. Most of all, I love our Pure Consulting model which essential leaves no stone unturned and allows us consultants to be strategic in driving to the heart of the problem and leveraging our network of consultants in order to solve it.

* Boutique firm/smaller company so more opportunity to make an impact
    * Fairly flat organizational structure, therefore, less bureaucracy
    * Really smart, fun, and experienced colleagues
    * Flexible culture

Cons

*Not much variety in the locations (only have offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, and San Francisco). But that will likely change as the company grows.
    * Still working on defining much of how the career track is structure
    * Lack of any type of formal training
    * New leadership structure so some kinks still being worked out there.
    * I'm sure there's more, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons

Advice to Management

More transparency with consultants about the direction of the company and insight as changes are made.