Revel Consulting "smart people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Employee Reviews about "smart people"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Growing Seattle Consulting firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consul in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energy, working with smart people and ability to make an impact within the firm.

Cons

Pipeline is evolving which makes for uncertainty at the delivery level with regards to available projects.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on evolving the pipeline (types of projects) to more of a value contributors rather than staff augmentation. Expand on your digital transformation focus and maybe have dedicated development teams (Agile in nature including Architects, DEVs and Testing resources) that can take on multiple project and capable of designing, implementing and iterating on digital solutions.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback! We truly value hearing from our employees. We are continuing to invest in all of our communities so that we remain ahead in the digital... More

2. "Awesome Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. The People - Hands down this is the best organization I've worked for in terms of having smart, collaborative and caring people.
    2. The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him. I'm excited to see where this takes the organization
    3.. The Opportunity - There is a lot of space to grow and influence in this organization.

Cons

1. Still relatively small.... so there are growing pains.
    2. The back office can't keep up with the direction of the organization

Advice to Management

solidify your back office processes. Make it match the culture you've created in the rest of the organization. The company is awesome and it's a huge miss that the back office has so much trouble getting on board.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your view point and experience! As Revel continues to evolve we will make incremental investments into our internal... More

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice vibe, good work/life balance.

Cons

Organization is in motion with pretty ambitious goals, but it will take time before it can become effective. As of now a lot of overhead that does not translate in added value to employees.
    Standard benefits, no growth opportunity in the mid term.

Advice to Management

one thing at a time, and find a way to recognize that the bread and butter of the company comes from traditional business consulting and project management practices.

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write & post this review. We depend on hearing from our associates so that we can continue to create a culture for people to thrive. Revel has made many investments... More

"Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience! Friendly and smart people who are willing to provide help when you need it. Benefits are good! There is a fun for learning!

Cons

Project pipeline seems full, but not many projects available. The company seems to constantly hire consultants, but they seem to be on the bench more than on a project. They offer a salary and hourly option for consultants. The later may not be good if you are on the bench.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad to hear that you had a great experience! We are constantly looking to fill our project pipeline with exciting and challenging opportunities for our... More

"There's a lot of potential here"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

The conclusion of if this company is good for you depends on two questions - where are you in your career and what are you trying to get out of your consulting experience. For most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company but that doesn't mean you can't get some good things out of it. Revel enables associates to learn about new areas and if you can get through the client interview, even work in those areas. There are a lot of really nice and smart people here and a mix of average joes, so, there's probably a spot at the table for most. I would say that of this "class" of consulting firms (i.e. non-Big 4, non-boutique, local to PNW, 5-10 yrs in existence, expanding beyond Seattle) they are probably one of the better firms. The culture is vibrant and Revel plans some solid events to engage people and hope they continue to keep this up. Revel is making what seems to be smart moves to distinguish themselves in the market. That said, i don't think those moves will be fully realized for another 3-5 years (good luck riding that out).

Cons

As mentioned, for most people, this probably isn't a "long haul" company. In 2-5 years, this may be a different story but for now, it's not a place that someone manager and below should/would stay longer than 2 maybe 3 years. The benefits are a bit paultry in some areas (e.g, $2k match for 401k) but expanding in others (paid maternity/paternity & family care leave).They'll trick you on the pay, so lock in that salary when you get it because you probably won't be jumping too much higher. Career planning is pretty much non-existent and I think it's less about their "opt-in" model/lack of internal structure and more about dodging folks who want raises. I can't say if it is a pro or a con but mix of clients is about the same as 80% of the other firms of similar size. If you're looking for all the accoutrements that one typically envisions when thinking of the consulting word, this isn't the bag for you.

Advice to Management

You have to tighten up that career planning process; some people go through it, other don't even know it exists. It's going to come back to bite you when people decide to leave rather than haggle with you on the salary. Balls up and set some expectations or at the very least come up with some paths that those who want to earn more can achieve this and the firm can also benefit.

Also, you have a lot of sharp trainings, resources, knowledge materials etc. in place that are truly quality products but you hardcore FAIL (D+) to "tie the bow" and push these resources out to consultants in a planned and coherent matter.

Please keep up the efforts to train and engage staff. These are the factors that distinguish you from firms in this crowded market.

Mar 15, 2016

Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on how we can keep improving as a company. It is candid feedback like yours that helps us continue... More

"Not a great place if you are a seasoned technology professional"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart people, there are for the most part a number of extremely talented folks working here. I do not think the company necessarily does a fantastic job of putting in the right places or in a position to succeed, but the talent is there.
    - Good pay
    - They are willing to give opportunities to people from different backgrounds. I was one of these hires. I appreciate the opportunity.

Cons

- Basically another run of the mill body shop consulting company in the Seattle are trying to be something more. Unfortunately I do not think they are succeeding.
    - High turnover. I left the company last year and almost everybody that I knew or worked with there is now gone.
    - This could have just been my client, so my experience may not be indicative as a whole but the sales/leadership team really did not do a great job of building a portfolio or expertise within the company.
    - As I mentioned before, there are a lot of talented people who are put in the wrong spots. Revel is a small company trying to grow and as a result has rushed to put people in spots they may not be ready for. This is from the top down. As a result a majority if the newer employees are mismanaged and given no direction to succeed and grow as an individual. You are pretty much left to your own devices to figure things out at the client site.
    - No true technology expects at the company. Company is trying to be more of a marketing/strategy company. No real technology talent here. Stay away if you want to be a technology expert.
    - There is a clear "in" crowd. You do your part to be in that crowd, you reap the rewards.
    - Unprofessional upper management. Sorry, but I do not really care to see my upper level managers going out and buying bottles at night clubs. I want to see them actively trying to grow talent and grow the company. I've seen your sales pitches and materials and even to a low level employee like myself, they seem woefully underwhelming.

Advice to Management

I think company has the talent in house to succeed. However, focus more on developing that talent and do not just pay lip service to caring. It seems my experience of being thrown on a project and left there on my own is not an uncommon one. Occasional meetings with management that clearly has no experience to warrant being there (I felt like I had 10x more experience doing what I was doing than my "manager") or occasional after work sessions do not count as talent development. I understand that you need to stack the Glassdoor deck (ie kindly nudge current employees to write positive reviews) in order to attract talent, but the feeling as a former employee is that management cares more about that than actually keeping the current employees engaged and happy.

"Great place for those who are tired of the corporate ladder but still seeking professional excellence"

Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Revel has a great culture w/lots of fun, smart people. The compensation and benefits are competitive, especially if you consider that the work is not nearly as demanding as the bigger firms (no travel, reasonable hours, great life/work balance, etc.). For being such a small firm it invests impressively in its people, with training funds, seminars, meetups, lunches, etc, all part of the standard program. There is a core belief that if you hire good people and give them the space and flexibility to perform, they will reciprocate and exceed expectations-- thus far it seems to be working! The work is largely in the project management space but as Revelers gain client's trust more interesting design/strategy pieces are forthcoming. The HQ has a fun open vibe and many Revelers check in here at least every couple weeks; it also provides good support to the consultants in the field. Revel hires an interesting mix of backgrounds, believing more in the need to get generally smart people that fit w/the firm culture than people with specific skill sets for the immediate project in question. Refreshingly flat hierarchy; lots of smart very committed people but surprisingly few egos-- having worked in a number of private and public sector entities I can safely say it is the best place I've worked thus far.

Cons

Some of the Revelers are fairly disconnected from the rest of the firm (and HQ) and may spend months working on a project without much support-- however this is usually more their choice than by HQ design. More effort is being made to create a "firm culture" and provide regular outreach/touchpoints with everyone, to increase the benefits of working together across a firm. Some projects are more interesting than others and you often don't have a lot of choice, as in most consulting firms (unless you actually sell the work). Engagements are typically longer due to the fact that they are often re-engineering/implementing business processes in larger firms, rather than simply delivering strategies. This is both a pro & a con as one gets to see more of how the clients actually work (by working alongside them instead of just for them). Also for those below the management tier there isn't always a lot of transparency around the firm strategy/goals and progress.

Advice to Management

Overall great work moving towards the "One Revel" strategy; the culture seems to be improving with the addition of more internal activities for Revelers. Continue fostering a culture that promotes openness and feedback.

"I feel empowered and supported by Revel to have a strong relationship with my client."

Current Employee - Senior Associate

Pros

- they agree with my belief that client comes first
     - they are understanding about having a work/life balance
     - they hire smart people so i trust my peers when seeking help on projects, problems, etc..

Cons

- they promise our clients the best consultants so we have big shoes to fill
     - their client base is growing fast, we need more consultants in our teams