Revel Consulting "want to see" Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Employee Reviews about "want to see"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Making it work..."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I generally see myself trying to make the best of any situation – the type of work and the range of clients (good to bad) included. People ask me what it is like working here? Before I answer I ask them what their current/previous experience was at their firm/company. Based on their response I would counter that they would experience the same here – hopefully slightly better.
    I’ve worked with great consultants who have come and gone, and for those who continue to look (for whatever reasons) generally have good things to say that they miss about Revel when compared to the other firms.

Cons

Should be more ways to incentivize people to do more away from family & friends. Revel is great with community events and extra-curricular activities that foster team work and collaboration. But if I’m going to spend time away from my family/friends I want to see something for it. There has to be a way to monetize contributions and IP that drive better results/deliverables for our existing and new clients.

Advice to Management

I’m happy in the type of work that I do – and feel that I’m one of those types that ‘know how to engineer things…’ to keep the work coming. Revel helps with the ‘why we do things…’. I can see how others might perceive management is jumping from one big bet to another but I’m on the fence in whether I would correlate that to a fault. This is a highly evolving space, and I see people way smarter than me trying to take stabs at it from different angles. I like knowing our company is chasing down those big bets and Revel provides us the opportunity to jump in if you so feel inclined to do so.

Revel Consulting Response

Apr 3, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! We truly appreciate your feedback, and am excited to hear that Revel provides a challenging environment that keeps you engaged and happy on your... More

"Not a great place if you are a seasoned technology professional"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Smart people, there are for the most part a number of extremely talented folks working here. I do not think the company necessarily does a fantastic job of putting in the right places or in a position to succeed, but the talent is there.
    - Good pay
    - They are willing to give opportunities to people from different backgrounds. I was one of these hires. I appreciate the opportunity.

Cons

- Basically another run of the mill body shop consulting company in the Seattle are trying to be something more. Unfortunately I do not think they are succeeding.
    - High turnover. I left the company last year and almost everybody that I knew or worked with there is now gone.
    - This could have just been my client, so my experience may not be indicative as a whole but the sales/leadership team really did not do a great job of building a portfolio or expertise within the company.
    - As I mentioned before, there are a lot of talented people who are put in the wrong spots. Revel is a small company trying to grow and as a result has rushed to put people in spots they may not be ready for. This is from the top down. As a result a majority if the newer employees are mismanaged and given no direction to succeed and grow as an individual. You are pretty much left to your own devices to figure things out at the client site.
    - No true technology expects at the company. Company is trying to be more of a marketing/strategy company. No real technology talent here. Stay away if you want to be a technology expert.
    - There is a clear "in" crowd. You do your part to be in that crowd, you reap the rewards.
    - Unprofessional upper management. Sorry, but I do not really care to see my upper level managers going out and buying bottles at night clubs. I want to see them actively trying to grow talent and grow the company. I've seen your sales pitches and materials and even to a low level employee like myself, they seem woefully underwhelming.

Advice to Management

I think company has the talent in house to succeed. However, focus more on developing that talent and do not just pay lip service to caring. It seems my experience of being thrown on a project and left there on my own is not an uncommon one. Occasional meetings with management that clearly has no experience to warrant being there (I felt like I had 10x more experience doing what I was doing than my "manager") or occasional after work sessions do not count as talent development. I understand that you need to stack the Glassdoor deck (ie kindly nudge current employees to write positive reviews) in order to attract talent, but the feeling as a former employee is that management cares more about that than actually keeping the current employees engaged and happy.

3. "Breath of fresh air...coming from a largee consulting firm."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Revel provides an environment to work with great clients on challenging projects without having to deliver non-client requirements (i.e. business development, reporting, etc.). Revel gives consultants the opportunity to transition projects across engagements (within and across clients). The firm is an exciting place to work given the growth in revenue, employees, accomplishments and recognition. Brett and Vikas, Revel's founders, are over-the-top passionate about the firm, it's accomplishments and the opportunities that lie ahead for Revel. Great new benefits!

Cons

If you are interested in travel, then Revel is not the place for you. The firm has offices in the Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles but the majority of client work is centered in Seattle with Microsoft, T-mobile, AT&T and Expedia. Opportunities are increasing in the Bay Area. Revel is not a place to work if you want to see the world as a consultant.

Advice to Management

Develop events to bring the distributed team of consultants together more often. Townhalls are great. Continue to communicate Revel's achievements and opportunities.

"Reducing barriers between client and consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Pros:
    • Do not have to struggle with the bureaucratic structure of larger firms that hinders efficiency
    • Get to work with smart/experience people
    • Get to work with a strong client base
    • Challenging client requirements and projects
    • Does not require extensive travel; good work/personal life balance
    • Ample opportunities to help out in the community
    • No corporate training/reporting requirements—focus solely on the client and the project
    • Competitive compensation
    • Good benefits
    • Strong leaders with a vision for growing the business

Cons

Cons:
    • Limited travel if you want to “see the world”
    • overall not a huge number of clients; company expanding but still limited to technology and retail sectors
    • firm growing so fast that sometimes the details are overlooked
    • small firm so there is no clear vertical path