Revel Consulting "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Revel Consulting Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A rewarding role"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working at Revel. Revel provides talented people a place to help organizations grow in the expanding digital economy. I work with people from a range of professional backgrounds - which makes them both interesting and valuable. The roles we fill are often long-term. Our clients range across industries, organizations, and internal groups. We are a diverse group of people. In my observation over two years, people are smart, work hard, and care about their clients.

But as some of these reviews note, this is not a 1990s-style consulting organization. We don't generally do short term "consulting" gigs where we land a team at a client for 6 weeks and charge 7 figures. That mold may still hold at some of the largest firms, but those deals are generally going away. Longer relationships are favored by many companies.

The consulting business is shifting and dealing with digitalization itself. Revel is, likewise, stepping through this emerging reality. Not by sticking with an outdated model, but by building its own approach. A process that it is doing rather publicly inside the company, if not always perfectly. Leaders are creating an evolving image of the organization. They openly seek input from associates. Everyone has the opportunity to step-up and contribute. It does, however, take commitment and time to make an impact - that's how it works.

In general, my work-life balance is good. I work a lot from home and on Skype. My salary and benefits are competitive. I enjoy my colleagues. I appreciate leadership as well for their commitments to growing the company.

Cons

A consulting model like Revel's where you work longer gigs takes some getting used to. On the one hand, you are with your clients a lot over a long period time. You are not an employee, but you are not a guru-style commando consultant either. The approach at Revel is more of a hybrid of augmentation and consulting - a model responding to market needs with specific skills and knowledge. The new role is a combination of the two. And the role is evolving. At Revel, you need to make the position your own.

I maintain the consultative position in the relationship because that is what I assume my role to be. If you let the role become more like an employee position, you may not get the satisfaction you want. Bottom line is that you need to manage your own expectations with your manager and your client to insure you are getting what you want from the gig. That said, I am not sure this is all that different than what other firms are experiencing.

Advice to Management

I recommend that leaders do even more to apply the principles of digital business inside Revel. That means clearly aligning our work to a strategy for growth that includes a digital outlook. I think the frequency of communication from the CEO should increase to build a greater dialogue with people across the organization. Finally, make it more clear what a career path looks like for individuals to see a long-term commitment to Revel clearly.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your point of view on Revel and consulting. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for as we continue to evolve our company to meet the demands of a rapidly... More

"A great place to get involved"

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Revel is a place where you take action in your career and people with engage with you. It's a smaller company, so people come in with the big consulting firm mind-set. Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule. You see many negative reviews about the company from people who aren't actively engaged in the culture, and that is natural for any smaller, growing company. If you want to be involved in everything Revel is doing around digital business transformation, then you can be in the middle of it, if you want to have a balanced life, do great work, and be home each day at the same time, Revel supports that as well and treats everyone as an individual.

Cons

Given Revel is a smaller company, it can 'shift' constantly which can be a blessing and a curse. Things are attempted, trialed, and ended, with the communication sometimes being an afterthought. This can be frustrating at times where communication and newsletters don't seem to be on a regular schedule. If you want a company that pushes you do to do things then Revel isn't the place, if you want to push yourself and grow, then Revel has those opportunities if you're willing to put in extra.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent in messaging and actions. Consistency in communication with all Revelers is key to keeping people engaged.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with Revel! We appreciate any and all feedback :-). We just announced our new communications schedule including upcoming newsletters, town halls, CEO Circle, and... More

"Senior Associate"

I worked at Revel Consulting full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, nice offices downtown Seattle (if you work at HQ), great clients (Microsoft, T-Mobile, etc.), autonomy when on projects. Consider Revel if you are in between jobs and need time for your job search or figuring out the next steps in your career, but dont stay there too long.

Cons

Revel claims to be a consulting company but most projects are still staff aug. You really have to know people at HQ and put a lot of efforts in networking to land the more interesting projects (which is hard when you spend all your time at the customers), as the staffing process is totally opaque to consultants. Also, PTO is absolute minimum (2 weeks), bonuses are rare, and salary raises very minimal. The bench policy is inconsistent at best (some consultants get full pay, others get 50%, and some unlucky ones nada).

Advice to Management

Introduce more transparency in the staffing process (consultants should know what projects are open and be able to provide input on which they are most interested to join), have the same bench policy for everyone (full pay would be nice - people still have a mortgage and bills to pay when on bench), and increase PTO to 3 weeks (seems like the norm in high tech companies). Stop calling every projects "consulting" when many of them are clearly staff aug.

Aug 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We truly value hearing from both current and past employees! Revel does have a dedicated resource manager, who works with our associates and leadership to ensure... More

"7 Years Was 6 Years Too Long"

Pros

Ability to work independently and establish a manageable work life balance.

Cons

After 7 years (making me one of the most tenured employees, which should tell you something), I found my career stagnating with severely limited growth opportunities and capped pay. The quality of people and work significantly declined over my time at the Firm with most roles tending toward staff augmentation. Personal development was not supported in any meaningful way by Revel in terms of role opportunities or training. "Management" tended to be fluid, lacking in experience, trustworthy, or valuable in any way. Be aware of the internal marketing.

Advice to Management

Create effective incentives to build on employees skills and interests with a believable properly incentivized career path. Too often the talk never matched the actions. Lead by doing.

Oct 30, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We appreciate the 7 years you spent with Revel, and wish we could have talked sooner to listen and address some of the concerns you mention... More

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice vibe, good work/life balance.

Cons

Organization is in motion with pretty ambitious goals, but it will take time before it can become effective. As of now a lot of overhead that does not translate in added value to employees.
    Standard benefits, no growth opportunity in the mid term.

Advice to Management

one thing at a time, and find a way to recognize that the bread and butter of the company comes from traditional business consulting and project management practices.

Sep 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write & post this review. We depend on hearing from our associates so that we can continue to create a culture for people to thrive. Revel has made many investments... More

"Small but doing big things!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life balance, flexible work schedule, Good compensation, Valuable networking events, entrepreneurial culture encouraging innovative problem solving methods.

Cons

Career progression not clear for junior associates. Sometimes associates are scheduled on a project because of the need rather than the associates interest/passion.

Advice to Management

Keep doing all the activities you are currently doing - Foundry, leadership lunches, happy hour collaboration meetings, Community involvement activities.

"Great people. Great opportunities. Great community."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Revel gives associates the opportunity to be great consultants. You can have work-life balance, great compensation and meaningful relationships with your client and colleagues. There is a culture of pushing for growth and learning at every opportunity. There is a real commitment to giving back to the community with Revel's Sustainable Giving program (matching donations and pro bono).

Cons

Since consultants are primarily on client sites, it is easy to become disconnected from the firm (assuming you don't take the initiative to get involved). The firm is currently in a growing/maturing stage: If that excites you, you will thrive; if not then it might not be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the associates to grow and be the best they can be. Loop them into new opportunities early on and let them know how they can contribute to the firm.

"Revel's PURE consulting allows me to focus what matters: solving clients problems and developing my own person brand."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because of the transformational work Revel consistently lands, I get to work on some of the most exciting problems facing Fortune 500 companies, which ultimately gives me the sense of purpose and accomplishment that I look for in every aspect of my life.

Revel's many personal and professional development programs also ensure that I'm equiped with the valuable skills necessary to not only help solve the aforementioned problems, but also differentiate myself in a increasingly competitive pool of talented business professionals.

Finally, Revel's PURE Consulting model gives me the sense of autonomy and work/life balance necessary for me to focus on deliving value to my client and leverage the entrepreneurial mindset that brought me into consulting in the first place.

Cons

The double-edged sword of the PURE Consulting model allows me to sometime overextend myself and take on too much non-core work.

Because it's a smaller consultancy, Revel doesn't always have prebuilt IP for me to use (however, the roster of experienced consultants that I have to leverage makes it easy to co-create what I need)

Advice to Management

Outside of building more from the bottom up, my only advice is to keep up the consistant drive to increase the viewpoint of Revel as a forward-looking thought-leader in the consulting space.

"Great People & Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bottom line, this company has really great people working here and it's such a pleasure to work around such smart, driven, and goodhearted professionals.

Pro's:
    * Good work-life balance
    * Environment rewards those who work hard and Revel gives plenty of opportunity for professional growth
    * Strong company values permeate the environment
    * The company is constantly looking forward and wants to improve upon itself
    * Very little office politics

Cons

The health benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Invest in more competitive benefits, as the rest of the company aspects are fantastic.

"Entrepreneurial Spirit and Fast Paced - Great Company for High Achievers"

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has great energy and they push their associates to reach their full potential. Things move quickly, you have to be flexible and ready to go, which is something I love about the company. Leadership is very involved and you can really develop your career here as much as you'd like - if you're looking for more work/life balance, their PURE consulting model will fit you perfectly. If you're looking for horizontal and vertical growth, you can set those goals and plans with your manager and they will help you get there. The people are fun, non-competitive, and they're big on collaboration.

Cons

They have high expectations and standards. The type of people they hire thrive in this environment. If you're looking to be coddled, this won't be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be involved with your employees' development. Your feedback, both formal and informal, is always appreciated.