Revel Marketing (Washington) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alesha Spacek

1. "Business no longe exists"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything it was a great company to work for. Unfortunately the company no longer exists.

Cons

The business no longer exists

2. "Worst Job Ever!"

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people in the office. They made me feel like I was part of the family on my very first day. That is really the only pro that I have.

Cons

The pay here is horrible! You are paid either minimum wage or commission, depending on which is higher. You do not make enough to make a decent living in a city like Seattle. This was something that was not mentioned during my interviews.
    Management has no problems lying to you. I was told during my interviews and even on my first day that we were not trying to sell anything. Even after I asked and one of my other co-workers asked, we were told that selling wasn't our main priority. After a few days, I found out that this was a lie and that you are expected to meet a certain quota every day and if you don't reach that, management will criticize you.
    You must remain positive all the time! If you are anything less than positive, then management will call you out and will tell you to quit being negative. Even if you have concerns about the product, you get criticized for it.
    Unethical selling tactics! You are told to lie about certain products in order to get a sale. Most of these products are junk and no one would ever consider buying them. You stand around in a store harassing people, who just want to shop. Some of my co-workers told me they get yelled at every day by shoppers because they are harassing them. When researching a certain product, you are only allowed to research one particular article or video. If you use any other sources, you get yelled at.
    High turnover rate! The amount of turnover is ridiculous at this company. I was only at the company for three weeks and I saw at least 15-20 people leave after a few days or a week. When I mentioned this to one of the managers, she yelled at me and told me that they should be here. I noticed they were hiring constantly because they needed to replace all the workers leaving everyday. They will hire anyone! You can give a horrible interview and they will still hire you on!
    I could go on and on about this place, but these were the major points I wanted to make. They eventually went out of business and I must say that I am not surprised!

Advice to Management

The company is out of business.

"Take your degree elsewhere"

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn basic selling skills
    Learn to deal with No, and how to rebuttal

Cons

Minimum wage or commission, whichever is higher. You transition from selling one product to the next, regardless of your success with the previous product. This can cause your paycheck to very significantly, which is not sustainable in a market like Seattle.

This company is a small piece of a larger company, and your goal is to start your own branch once you've satisfied the set requirements.

No benefits

"Do Not Come Here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work there are extremely nice and welcoming. They make you feel comfortable and make you feel that you do have potential to move forward with your goals.

Cons

This is not a marketing company, even if they claim to be. They say they do not want you out there being a salesman even though your paycheck is determined from the amount of sales you make. They also operate on a pyramid scheme but does not admit it. This company is not straight forward and does not come clean with you.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

"Completely misleading company and job posting"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very positive atmosphere-- I guess? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Cons

There was a huge lack of transparency throughout the entire hiring process. I applied for the position of Marketing Assistant in early 2014. There was a three-stage interview, asking general questions about personal successes and goals, but never divulged salary, hours, or workplace responsibilities. Whenever I would ask, they would dodge the question and talk about all the training that we were set to receive. They kept feeding a line about how through Revel Marketing, you'd receive 2 years of business school education in 6 months, and made it seem as though I'd be working within an office environment during that time, learning the skills necessary for a Marketing Assistant.

Long story short, none of that was true. Within my first week (really, my first two days,) I was out "in the field." My "business education," was memorizing a variety of acronyms created to teach you how to reel in suckers. This is a company that goes around to CostCo, Sam's Club, QFC, and a few other stores to shill "As seen on TV" junk. Weight loss supplements with Ketones, Knives that never lose their sharpness, ceramic hair-straighteners, massagers, etc. You're a salesman, you demo goods by sawing on a hammer with a knife, you blatantly lie to customers about quality of goods, and you're always pushing another sale.

Everyone was averse to telling me what my hours would be, but eventually I found out that I'd be working every single day of the week, minus every other Sunday morning. There was a call you had to join every morning at 8 am-- except on Saturday, when it was 9 am. You'd have a 1 hour team meeting in SoDo, then you'd travel out to whatever store you were set to sell your junk at. My schedule was fragmented, I'd go in at 9 am for the one hour team meeting, then go to my store at 3 pm, then leave around 9. Revel Marketing would make it seem like you weren't working "full" days, but the schedule was rough since it was so fragmented. 5 days a week it would be doable, but 7? Team members tried to hit home the idea that you'd "work hard now so that you can get what you want in life sooner," or whatever. Takeaway being: work all day, every day, and maybe in a year you can do what really makes you happy.

Really, if this is your sort of job, neat. It wasn't what I wanted, though, and I was fed all these lies about how it'd be a marketing position, how I'd be working in an office and skilling up with Business Education. In the end, they expected me to work 7 days a week selling knives at CostCo, with threats of quotas hanging over my head. The pay was minimum wage with vague promises of bonuses for really high-volume sales. They dangle managerial positions over your head, they sweet talk you with trips as rewards for high numbers, but the entire thing has a very pyramid-scheme feel to it. Team members are encouraged to recruit as many people as they can to the company, regardless of qualifications. Sometimes these are tied to rewards, ("Whoever can bring in the most new team members in the next month gets a 2 day all-inclusive vacation," etc.) The team meetings had a very cult-like attitude to them, everyone was scrambling over one another for higher sales numbers. People would shout out their goals and get the room worked into this fever-pitch of excitement over the marketing. Everyone repeated acronyms and sales buzz-words as mantras.

In the end, I called the management, Aleesha, to let her know that it wasn't the right job for me. Her response was a quick "Okay, thanks," and then she hung up. The company has an ultra-high turnover rate, and clearly management is used to people washing out-- but if they were transparent in the first place, they wouldn't have this issue.

Advice to Management

Transparency is key. Don't advertise this as a job that it isn't. This is a job selling consumer goods in grocery stores, not a high-level marketing / consulting gig.

Revel Marketing (Washington) Response

Mar 10, 2015 – Owner

Revel Marketing strives to provide a positive work environment with career opportunities to all that join our team. It is our intention to always act in the best interest of our team members. Revel ... More

"One of the best, most challenging and educational experiences of my life."

Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Campaign Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're interested in learning marketing, sales, how to run a business, etc... There's no better place to learn all of the above than Revel Marketing. Being a prior business owner myself, I was able to relate to everyone there- driven, smart, motivating people that loved to come to work in the morning in order to get one step closer to their long term goals. Some wanted to open up restaurants, others wanted to launch record studios- it's the entrepreneurial melting pot that most have only heard about but have never had the pleasure to experience first hand. I was there nearly a year, so I got to see the in's and out's of the business and the true character of the CEO. These people will take you under their wing and bring you into the Revel family immediately. They will go above and beyond to teach you everything they know and help push you towards your goals. If you want to learn any aspect of entrepreneurship or business, you better submit a resume. But, if you're not willing to work hard and do what it takes to be successful- if you're not driven and just want a free ride, you'll be sadly disappointed. These people are the real entrepreneurs- they give their best and expect only the best from everyone around them.

Cons

The cons regard any standard business. It's hard, and you have to have a work ethic, but welcome to entrepreneurship. I don't have a negative thing to say about this business. You walk in there and see the caliber of people and their beamingly positive attitudes and it's merely a reflection of their leadership. "Attitude reflects leadership," and you won't regret walking in the door.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, Freddy. Miss you guys already.

"Misleading, Disorganized company"

Former Employee - Honestly, Not 100% Sure in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Honestly, Not 100% Sure in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel Marketing (Washington) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, it is hard to find one. My time with Revel was one big con.

Cons

There is a lot to list here, so I will make it easier for you to read:
    Never knowing your hours, the boss would write the hours on a piece of paper Monday morning before you had to head off to the sites.
    You weren't compensated for gas, and when confronted about it they would list some BS government reasons
    The pay was awful, plus the commission never seemed to be calculated right
    The products you sell are awful, and you have to push them in Costco's, Sam's Club, QFC, etc for 10 hours a day.
    There is a huge cult mentality, the people that drink the kool aid make you feel like you are the crazy one and that every business is ran like this, which is far from true.

All in all, I lasted about 4 months before bailing, and that's because I needed the money. Don't work for Revel people, keep searching. There are better jobs out there.

Advice to Management

Close your doors? Get into a real industry that is so scammy.

"Believe the hype -- Revel Marketing is a wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Marketing (Washington) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ranked # 1 small company to work for in Seattle in 2013 and even people expecting awesomeness are surprised by how it exceeds expectations. Lots of really nice, smart people; a leadership team that wants to provide a productive and happy workplace; perks like no other!

Cons

Company is growing fast so there are the occasional growing pains (i.e. needing more office space and lots of new folks to train!) but this also means lots of opportunity for personal advancement and specialization. The leadership team is quick to address any issues and is impressive with their strategic vision.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"I receive much more than a paycheck from Revel Marketing."

Current Employee - Campaign Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Campaign Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel Marketing (Washington) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My time with Revel Marketing has been rewarding in ways that have nothing to do with what I earn. Even in my earliest of days, I noticed to solve a difficult problem or provide an innovative idea with shape gave me a huge feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. Hearing from team leaders and others that my contributions were truly appreciated only added to that. I have learned so many things with this company that if I were to change jobs I know that I could get a job anywhere. I have learned patience, accountability and responsibility in such an amazing short period of time that has grown me personally and professionally. This position has made me a stronger and a more prepared person for whatever life throws at me.

Cons

There is no real secret to success in Revel, just hard work and determination. Always be responsive to constructive feedback. Do these things and good things will come.

Advice to Management

Team based recognition programs are great motivators. Everybody seems to give more effort when they know that everyone benefits from their hard work.

"Great company structure and great people!"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

No matter where you are in life at this point, everybody starts out at the field.
    And, even though you are progressing within the company, you would still have to be on the field to train others and remind yourself what it's like working hands-on. I personally believe that every employee in any company should be scheduled to be on the sales field, every other week. This way, he/she would know what the customers need and how to meet their needs in the best possible way through the field experience before they actually make major business decisions and executive/innovative strategies moving forward.

Overall, I would say that Revel Marketing Inc. has the following values as a company:
    - Great teamwork and culture
    - Great work environment
    - Organized company structure
    - Equal Opportunity, diverse group
    - Training & Retraining available
    - Travel Opportunities available
    - Systematic C2C & B2B Approach
    - Great learning experience for starters
    - Career Advancement Programs available

Cons

If you are not passionate about people or/and have a hard time keeping an open mind to learn or/and controlling your attitude... Then, Revel Marketing is not for you - simply because this company is filled with people with passion, big dreams, and positive attitudes, as well as energetic morning meetings...
    A job at Revel is more than just theories about sales, marketing and advertising - but, it involves life training as well, which involves relationships building, communications, leadership, and character training.

Overall, I would say that Revel Marketing Inc. has the following stepping stones as opportunities to grow:
    - Better Health Benefits
    - More Roadshow Events
    - More travel opportunities

Advice to Management

I would say that this is a great marketing agency overall.
    So, I would have it no other way, except many more leaders on board!