Revel Reviews

Updated May 22, 2020

3.6
Revel CEO Vikas Kamran
Vikas Kamran
Pros
  • "Revel wants to be different and give people the autonomy to grow their career or maintain work-life balance for their schedule(in 11 reviews)

• "The Leadership - The CEO is brilliant, and has a lot of smart people working for him(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is growing at such a rapid pace that sometimes there are informational gaps between leadership and associates(in 6 reviews)

• "Not enough business development muscle to keep you employed(in 5 reviews)

1. "It was time... I should have done more..."

Former Employee - BI & Analytics Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opt in culture and entrepreneur environment made every day exciting and challenging. Vikas/Team bent over backwards to keep me engaged during trying times and was always there when I needed their support. I may have pushed the boundaries on both clients and Revel Management... but Vikas/Team for the most part smiled and just kept pivoting with me.

Cons

Its hard to make everyone happy during a company buy out. It felt like transparency and stability took a hit during this period... I get it, couldn't be helped. The management attrition was a little high for my liking - made it hard to re-establish trusted relationships.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Revel

Pros

Learnt lot of skills related to my skill and outside though most of it is self stimulating. Relaxed laid back environment. The community leaders are very collaborative.

Cons

Though Vikas has a vision based on Revel’s core principles the company does not stimulate those practices. It pretty hierarchy heavy, discrimination and racism is felt not across Revel but on certain teams. The management is aware of such behaviors:approach but they do nothing to rectify it .Having backbone and agree/disagreeable approach is not welcomed and most times such incidents are governed by Associate’s. In my team no one stayed more than a year and that’s something to note. I joined Revel a year back with a vision and my performance was at peak. Due to the business model we could get profit out of it. I would not recommend thus place as there’s no growth- only politics .

"What an experience!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for Revel for over 6 years -- which is a long time for the industry. What kept me engaged and excited to be at Revel was the people, leadership, and the opportunity to create your own journey. (1) People: The current Revel team and many in the past are AMAZING. Revel really does find genuine people who I enjoyed working with. From those in the field, to Ops, Hr, and Finance, everyone is warm, welcoming, and helpful. I will miss working with such wonderful colleagues. (2) Leadership: The current leadership team will take the company places. They are visionaries who truly care about people. They also get their hands dirty when needed and don't tell anyone to do anything they won't do themselves. The CEO has been a great mentor over the years. He expects greatness, and you will be challenged. However, you will come out better for it and your career will grow + clients will be impressed. Isn't growth the point of work? Can't ask for anything more. (3) Opportunity: Related to the above, if you work hard and are okay with growth, you will be given opportunities to thrive. You do have to ask for it, and make it clear, but leadership will always support you. I've seen people grow in their careers here and move from HR to the field, from Ops to Sales, and from Associates to Sr. Managers. Opportunities are there if you seize them.

Cons

Revel has had some leadership miss-hires over the years that have resulted in a dampening of the culture. The current leadership is strong and culture is improving. I think it is a wonderful place to work.

"Just a meat shop"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was good. Not as good as it should have been since they consistently take a 50% to 60% cut which is above industry standards. There are/were some good people there, but they're all gone now.

Cons

You can go from golden boy to incommunicado in a matter of weeks with no rhyme or reason. There either is no pipeline or I was directly lied to. I tend to believe the latter based on my experiences and those shared with me after the fact. They pretend to be some caring company, but the reality is they are a meat shop like any other.

5. "Senior Associate"

I worked at Revel full-time

Pros

Great work environment and a great team

Cons

Don't have any negatives for the place

"No Pipeline, No Leadership - eventually no company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great colleagues to work with, if you can find them and are not on a solo project. Paychecks as long as you are on a project. Pay and benefits are solid.

Cons

The company is hemorrhaging talent due to the lack of jobs and pipeline. They do not really have business development staff (haven't for years) - instead they have relied upon Customer Managers, People Managers (of consultants on a project) and the Consultants themselves. They recently hired a 3rd party to look for opportunities, but in Oregon where there Revel doesn't have employees. This is definitely a "bro" culture, so unless you are under 30, and male (preferably single) you may not do well. There are really no women in leadership roles, outside of the finance lead and the HR manager (who I believe is now outsourced to Motiv). Be sure to always agree with the mercurial mood swings of the CEO, who is a great idea person but is not the right person to guide the company out of this dark time. If you don't have a job when you end a project, you will most likely be laid off.

August 18, 2019CEO

Thanks for writing this. We always like to read the feedback in these reviews and do our best to respond to them. Since you were with Revel for 8 years, I imagine you’re well aware of how the consulting business in this market has changed over time, something we’ve been evolving with for more than 10 years. I did want to address a few of your points: Talent/Satisfaction: I do really appreciate your recognition of Revelers. This is an amazing team with tremendous talent, and we wouldn’t succeed without them. We’ve put new systems in place to keep satisfaction front and center, with an internal People Services team extremely vested in Revelers and a monthly pulse tool in place that gives us insights into how the company is feeling. Internal satisfaction scores for the first half have been 87% - 90%, and we’re aiming to get this consistently above 95%. It’s the great ideas from Revelers that will help us achieve this. Leadership: Our experienced leadership team meets every Tuesday and has never been shy about expressing strong views and perspectives. Disagreement leads to healthy dialogue and decisions for what’s right for the firm, our clients and our broader community. Gender: Our leadership/management team is 30% womxn and 70% men. Overall, we’re sitting at 40% womxn and 60% men. That’s an improvement from where we’ve been but there is still a gap. This is and has been a priority, and one we continue to work on. Growth/Pipeline: We’ve always favored growing with long term relationships over a heavy sales/business development engine. This has become even more acutely important with CMOs who rely on us to deliver on our pillars of Digital, GTM Transformation, and Build. Investing in a new type of talent that understands this brave new world required a massive transition. But with clients who have been with us for 10+ years, 85% of our pipeline inbound from the CMO, and 72% growth from Jan 2019 to June 2019, we’re pleased with our progress. Thanks again for taking the time and caring enough to write this review. We're proud of the team here at Revel, their work, and people like you who continue to give us feedback. My door is always open for past, present and future Revelers to share views on how to make our firm even better. Cheers, Vikas K

"Best place to learn entrepreneurship"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Revel is nearing the end of an internal digital transformation that is focused on solution-based offerings. A community approach of governing internals teams promotes an environment of self-enablement of all Technology associates. This means that through community mentorship programs and Revel’s learning and development initiatives, Revel is a good place to be for anyone who is looking to expand knowledge and learn, especially young entrepreneurs and Data Scientist like myself. It is designed to promote ownership among associates.

Cons

The new style of governing took some getting used to, but it has positive effects in the long run.

May 31, 2019Sr Manager, People Services

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the words of encouragement. Yes, change does take time to adjust to, and we appreciate you acknowledging that. We’ve worked hard to make our own internal transformations an opportunity for everyone to take on new development opportunities and grow. It’s great to hear that it worked out for you. If you have other specific thoughts or suggestions that you’d like to share, please feel free to send them in email to areiersgaard@revelconsulting.com. Thanks ~Amy

"For the Constant Entrepreneurs"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Revel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Erogenous lateral and vertical growth opportunity. Revel fosters an inclusive pure-entrepreneurial culture. #ideationlab

Cons

I wish bench time was Incubation Time back in the day.

April 9, 2019Sr Manager, People Services

The inclusive, entrepreneurial culture you mention is the essence of what Revel is building, and I’m glad to hear your experience has been positive. Our hope is that our culture gives everyone many opportunities to grow, to try new ways of solving client issues and to explore improvements for the firm itself. The different levels of experience at the firm plays into this as well. We can and should all learn from each other, no matter what our backgrounds may be. Thank you for your feedback regarding bench time. It’s definitely something we want to continue looking at. If you have any specific ideas or recommendations, please let us know. And feel free to share any other thoughts about your Revel experience at areiersgaard@revelconsulting.com. Thanks ~ Amy

"Great place to be if you're male and spineless"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Revel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting and intelligent colleagues. Receive paychecks on a regular basis, but that could end at any moment. Geographically located in Seattle, so it's easy to make it to other interviews. Very talented and quickly growing alumni network.

Cons

If you don't fit into the "bro" culture, your tenure will be short and unpleasant. The CEO is erratic and surrounds himself with yes-men. What's left of the pipeline is quickly drying up. The leadership team has made itself persona non grata at several major accounts. As other reviewers have mentioned, the 5-star reviews are questionable.

April 9, 2019Sr Manager, People Services

I am sorry that this has been your experience at Revel and, if you’re that unhappy, surprised that you’ve chosen to stay at the firm as long as you have. We do strive hard to help everyone find places to be successful within the organization and with the client, and we often hear how people appreciate the opportunities they have working here. Clearly, that’s not the case with you. To address your comments about gender and “bro culture”: We absolutely recognize the value of diversity, inclusion and equality. In some areas, we’re succeeding, such as on teams comprised of 50 percent women. In others, we still have work to do. Ultimately, we recognized this as an area of opportunity for the firm to grow and we take that very seriously. In my experience, I have seen associates and the management team work together to address concerns and make new ideas a reality. You’ve already stated that you don’t plan to offer suggestions for improvement. If you change your mind, I’d invite you to email them to areiersgaard@revelconsulting.com or talk to me directly about how we can address them in a way that works for you. Thanks! Amy

"This place is as dishonest as they come, worst consulting company in Seattle."

1.0
    Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Revel for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a paycheck. That's it.

Cons

Glassdoor should look into this place to verify the 5-star reviews. I've heard from multiple people that internal management was put on a mission to deliver fraudulent 5-star reviews using made-up email addresses. If you work here, make it a plan to do so for a short period of time while you find your next opportunity. Honestly it's not a place for true professionals. You'd be better off taking an odd-job if you really need a check. CEO talks a BIG game but he doesn't actually care about the employees or running a clean organization. I've met with him, he lied throughout the entire meeting. Layoffs happen routinely, everyone's job is at risk, there is no pipeline. They layoff and then rehire for new blood which allows them to prey on new employees who haven't been there long enough to see the chaos. They now market as a digital firm? That's new, there are no digital capabilities at the firm. It's all marketing. Once they lost their contracts in Redmond, this place will shutdown and the CEO will take his money and do something else.

December 28, 2018CEO

Thanks for the feedback and as usual every post/comment/perspective is an opportunity for us to learn and grow from.... You obviously had a terrible experience and we apologize for that. That said, every experience is just that an 'experience' and now you know what to (or not) look for in a subsequent/future organization - employer or business. So hopefully not a total loss of your time. Revelers are extremely happy about the org we continue to develop w/r/t to our focus on digital – marketing (attract customers into the funnel), experience (how people interact w/ an experience), and commerce (how people transact in an omnichannel experience). It’s difficult to work on a project that isn’t considering digital as a value chain accelerator and/or new channel – this is why clients should be hiring a consulting firm in the first place? So a peculiar comment. Moving on…a few projects – developed a cloud GTM strategy and digital transformation office (e.g. marketing led vs. sales, self-service, new site on AEM – etc.) for a hardware company, building a complex analytics & visualization engine for one of the largest entertainment companies in the world, engaged with largest NGO's to help them introduce digital to accelerate time to assistance...so a bit confused (& disheartened) about this general comment considering Revelers are working on some really interesting missions & you’re letting your experience (yes – important – I get it) somewhat cloud/adversely impact the hard work and outcomes this larger population is delivering. [I'm assuming at some point current employees will read this so not sure how much more authentic these comments/example projects can be]. This company is a reflection of their (and your) work/outcomes. Guidance on short-term. Please don't join or do (or give advice) anything in your life w/ a short-term perspective i.e. a ‘gig’ for a few dollars. Life is too short – take whatever time in between jobs/work and live a bit lighter/frugal and then focus on passion and long-term commitment. The fact that anybody would even consider or give advice that any mission be accepted in exchange for short-term monetary benefit is an issue and highly contradictory to all other comments. If growth mindset is a BIG game! You bet I talk a "BIG" (massive) game; reading, always be learning, visualizing plays, taking small steps/actions towards the long, learning again, optimizing – ALL of this fuel’s strategy in a #perpetualbeta world! Strategy is a living organism it no longer sits on a shelf collecting dust. You make a decision, collect metadata and then continue to optimize for the greater good and durability of employees, customers, community, and shareholders. It’s NEVER perfect. This is what ‘digital’ means. Access to information, evolution of mindsets, evolution in customer expectations in a world that expects instant validation and gratification – etc. The goal is to get ahead of them – anticipate. The world has SO much to offer and it's up to each of us to conceptualize our own destiny (similar to you leaving – kudos!) and then work with like-minded people to arrive at this destination/goal/state of being. Yes, I can go off on 'what can be' tangents which can create dissonance e.g. person A is thinking and watching and living in 'today' whilst I'm thinking and watching and living in a future state i.e. helping you ‘see what can be’. so you can take control and help improve the situation. Perhaps, we talked about improving things and then left the conversation in a state of 'idea flow/generation'/ ‘see what can be’? If so, then yes harmony was broken which can lead to trust issues. My expectation is that you (or any Reveler) would own next steps/action and then propose options and a recommendation. My goal is to help introduce the ‘growth mindset’. From there we diverge and then eventually converge to deliver on a goal/mission. Advice and ideas are cheap – I can literally walk into any business and surface gaps all over the place – not hard to do? It’s all about ‘so what’ and ‘now what’ that enables that business to make things better. It takes energy, focus, and time to deliver on the change/evolution that you want the organization to become. The TWO things that I've always been respected for are integrity and ethics. So I'll respect your comment. This is a judgement call. Thanks again for the perspective. Super happy that you found the courage to transition from the firm. Wishing you all the best in 2019 and beyond!!!

Found 116 reviews