Revel Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Betts

Pros
  • Unlimited vacation, snacks, free lunch (in 25 reviews)

• Great team building and great morale due to the growth of the company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Maintaining a good work life balance is on you (in 17 reviews)

• It's long hours and to be good you have to work hard over these (in 18 reviews)

"Out Of Touch and Out of Depth CEO"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Revel has an amazing culture of hardworking and driven people. Revel also has great perks like free snacks, free gym membership, and all the other excellent perks you’d expect from a San Francisco start up. The people, the product, and the company is hands down the best place I’ve ever worked at.

Cons

The main obstacle to keeping the momentum to IPO and taking the company to the next level is the Out of Touch and Out of Depth new CEO who assumed a leadership position recently. I agree with the other reviews on this site that were recently posted and am seriously concerned his leadership style is polluting our wonderful environment with poorly timed negativity and fear that he’s injecting in on a daily basis.

The CEO is out of touch because he completely disassociates from the employees. He does not say a single word to anyone and walks around ignoring people like we are not even here. That is if he’s actually in the office (he only works 3 to 4 days a week) maybe he goes golfing or rides his motorcycle.

The truth is even when the guy is actually in the office he’s not really there, that is to say he’s not interacting with the other humans who actually put in the hard work to make the company what it is today.

Advice to Management

The CEO is completely out of his depth in running this technology company, I don’t think he’d ever used an Apple product prior to joining the company. He doesn’t even have a LinkedIN profile. How are you going to take a technology company to the next level if you barely can use new technology yourself?

I’ve heard countless people come to me with these exact same concerns and I wanted to add my voice to these glass door reviews so that our investors take this seriously and do something before it’s too late.

If I were the folks at Welsh Carson, I’d reconsider the decision of CEO and protect my investment. There are far better options readily available as the other reviews mentioned.

2. "Great Place with great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, full snack bar, catered lunches, happy hours.

Cons

Pay is below market (substantially i may add), under staffed.

Advice to Management

Continue opening up with company's goals, status and promote deserving employees (especially salary wise)

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for this company. It is refreshing to have a management staff that is approachable, effective and knowledgeable. Every moment I have been with this company has been valuable in some way and has allowed me to develop professionally. I cannot express how much this company means to me and I would highly recommend anyone with sales experience to apply.

Cons

It can be tempting to work outside normal business hours, which can lead to work/life imbalance. Also the office is really loud because of the sales team, we really need a bigger office to accommodate all these new employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication and driving the company in the right direction. With some time and teamwork I think Revel is going to be unstoppable.

"SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Good perks
    Good culture
    snacks and free food

Cons

underpaid
    cut throat sales culture
    not a lot of product training

"Honest Review: Great People, Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First I would like to say is most of the 5 star reviews are fake. They all seem to follow a similar format for the pros with a jokingly "con". Please don't be fooled by them thinking Revel is going to be amazing place. While there are pros, there are many cons. The former CTO/Co-founder is starting a new company which would get rid of "fakes" of the internet where users must authenticate their true identity before posting. I find this very ironic as this page is littered with fake reviews so if his company is to succeed, I would love to see who REALLY wrote some of these 5-star reviews.

What prompt me to write this is to give a truthful insight of my experience with the company. And to hopefully outset some of these 5 star reviews that are clearly fabricated.

- Meet some incredible people who you actually will continue to be in contact with well after leaving the company.
    - Loads of snacks and occasionally some new ones every now and then
    - Free lunch every day, can't complain about free even if it feels bland after few months
    - Direct managers do actually care about your well-being. While they may not have the power to flip everything around for you, they're in the same boat as you (most of the time).
    - some nice perks like commuter, gym, cell phone reimbursement. While some of these are standard now, it's still nice to have
    - the skills you learn due the overwhelming tasks you must perform will definitely boost your career for your next job after Revel
    - when the product is working, it feels nice to help out small businesses
    - Did I forget to mention the people? ride together die together mentality where everyone shares the same pains
    - I worked with some people overseas in other offices, they're some of the best people to work with.

Cons

- Pay is lower than market rate. The pay isn't the best, people who leave normally find jobs that pay much more.

- it's pure chaos. The product is very buggy. There was such a huge emphasize of making "new features instead of fixing the existing product. Perhaps this will now change under new leadership as the original CEO + CTO are now gone. Way too many experimental things that I won't name that further complicated things. While it may have worked at first, it only piled on more problems to fix and headaches for end user. Here's a thing running a simulated iPad running on special version of Revel, that is connected to this box thing that runs into here and there then into the iPad. All these backyard "hacks" seemed great at first, but never delivered the promised performance you would expect.

- If you plan on leaving the company, make it a priority to purchase whatever stock options you are vested in. If you leave the company, you have 90 days to purchase what you're vested in. When I contacted them after I've departed, they told me "The grant listed in your offer letter from January 2015 has not yet been officially granted by the Board of Directors." This was sent back to me in 2016 shortly after I contacted them after I departed. Take it from me, I recommend getting them before leaving because once you're out, they'll send you to dead-ends until your 90 days are up. Maybe this is different now under the new CEO.

- If you work in any position that directly in contact with customers, get ready for a lot of screaming, yelling, threats, legal action, etc. I guess this is normal with any customer support position but it pains to hear the hardship customers go through If I worked at Starbucks, I wouldn't feel bad if the latte I made doesn't have enough whip cream, but if your system lost all your credit card transitions from the night and you cannot pay out your waiters. Well, it's hard not to take the customer's side especially if you know it's not their fault.

- Unlimited PTO in the day is a double edged sword. Looked down upon if you take too many. I hear this is going away which I suppose is a good thing.

- Occasionally, a new update to the product will utterly destroy compatibility with older hardware we formerly supported thus leaving customers in the dark until it is patched days/weeks later. Try explaining that to them over the phone.

- Sales rep blame the support team for not doing their job, and tech support blame sales for over-promising the product. So here's really at fault? Probably a combination of both but doesn't matter as we both suffer

- When they try to hype up the company at events, it's incredibly corny and cheesy. A lot of false hope or lies about how well the company is doing, how we're the best in the market, etc. I would say though, the all-hands meeting at the comedy club was funny as heck.

- You may notice a lot of management changes, lay offs, etc. I've seen my fair share of VP of Sales, VP of Support, Director of this and that. Many come in excited to make a real change but only to leave due to the disorganization of the company. Bets would be made to see how long this one would last. It was that bad. It was sad to do but unfortunate truth.

- There isn't much work/life balance here, you work at work, you work at home at night, you work on your day off. You may receive a call while you're on vacation to work. You're in the hospital room giving birth to your 2nd child, you work. Okay that last one is an exaggeration but you get the point. I understand this may be the norm for bootstrap start ups but this company should be way passed that stage. Don't let your manager make you feel guilty for you not contributing to the success of company because you didn't want to work 16 hours.

- There isn't much for career growth, you'll be stuck at what you're doing. The best you'll probably do is become a team lead. You may be able to jump to a different department, but after the years I've worked there, people who jump to a completely different department tend to get fired very shortly after. Not always the case but most of the time. Your best bet is to move what little bit of upwards you have in the same department

CAUTION: The following is so totally true
    - Sometimes, there are no more Coronas on the 2nd floor so I have to walk to the 4th floor. When it rains, I can't eat outside on the balcony while sipping on my kombucha that came from tap.
    - They took away our nerf guns because someone got mad once. Gosh darn it
    - It's a growing company so there are some growing pains but I love my job. REVEL UP! Work hard PLAY HARD! YEAH

Advice to Management

- invest more in fixing the product as oppose to creating new features. While there are limitless possibilities of new cool features that may make life easier for some customers. I bet 100% that customers would prefer a stable system than the ability to have a legit house account system.
    - invest time in keeping talent and growing talent.
    - a former advice you may have noticed in older reviews is to replace the CEO, but since that has happened, this one is void. Someone with experience was desperately needed to take over to really help push the company forward.

With everything said and done, I really do wish for this company to succeed for the sake of everyone who is still there after I've left. You guys are hard workers and deserve so much more. There is a new CEO who actually has experience leading so things may change. I never had the honor to work under Scott Betts so I cannot rate how effective of a leader he is. Maybe he's good, maybe he's bad, maybe he's worse. Who knows. That is why, while I don't recommend this company, I give it a positive outlook. However, it's time for this cowboy to Revel Down.

"Fun, Rewarding and Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Here at Revel, we are changing people’s lives for the better. Everyday I feel like I have contributed to something great. Ideas and ingenuity are highly valued here, and there are tons of opportunities to grow vertically and horizontally within the company.

Cons

We are a rapidly growing company. This means you can expect some trial and error. Perfection never happens on the first try!

Advice to Management

Keep the forward momentum going!

"$77,200"

Current Employee - Associate Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guys and gals you work alongside with.

Cons

Earn $1,850/mo for hitting quota. Do the math. $22,200 + $55,000 salary = $77,200 This is SF, not Texas or Arizona.

Advice to Management

COO has done extremely little to advance the company, and in his tenure dozens of highly talented individuals who were leaders on their teams or within their departments have resigned. This is not a coincidence, and has only continued into March.

9. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Great Training
    Catered Lunch
    Great Product
    Great Income Potential

Cons

Bumps in the road at times (as with any start-up)

Advice to Management

Embrace the smart and talented people that work hard everyday, allow them the opportunity to grow.

"Great people with exciting growth potential!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Revel Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a temp at Revel for a few months has given me some insight to the rapid growth and potential that the company has to offer. I was recently converted as a full time employee, and I'm eager to witness this growth while being a part of the exciting work environment.

They have amazing health/vision/dental benefits, free lunch, and unlimited PTO via requests. These are just a few of the great things that Revel offers it's numerous appreciated employees. The environment in the office is a fun and friendly one, and every team is openly appreciated for the work they do. I love working here due to the fact that the work you put in is definitely noticed, and you are treated as part of the Revel family rather than simply being seen as a member of the company. The growth potential is amazing, and your voice will be heard given you provide the feedback.

Cons

I cannot think of a reason not to work here. I live an hour away from work, and would happily make the drive if it was 2 hours.

Advice to Management

RevelUP!

"Opportunity & Growth"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

I've been working with Revel for a year now and It's been amazing how much growth and opportunity I've been able to achieve here. I started off as a Sourcer on contract sourcer and was able to be promoted to a full-time Corporate Recruiter in 6-months. This is a place where you're rewarded for your hard work, which I find to be extremely motivation. Your voice can be heard here, and your actions really do have an impact. The opportunity for upward mobility here is something you won't find at a lot of other companies.
    The free food, weekly happy hours and quarterly events (Giants games, bowling) are great and definitely show the appreciation Revel has for it's employees.
    The product is something I can get behind and I believe the product and company as a whole are going to achieve great things, which is why I want to be a part of this team.

Cons

Since Revel is still relatively new, there are always processes and platforms that can always be adjusted and improved. Revel needs to get more organized with how they distribute information on benefits and communication as a whole. Goals and expectations need to be drawn out more clearly, but overall I know that as we progress we will become more organized and efficient.

Advice to Management

Always strive to becoming a better and more motivating leader. In every department, we are hungry to learn and succeed and your guidance will always empower us and help us excel to where you and we want to be.