Revel Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Betts

Pros
  • Free lunch and unlimited supply of snacks is also a nice perk (in 23 reviews)

• Great team building and great morale due to the growth of the company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • It is important to remind yourself to keep a work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• It's long hours and to be good you have to work hard over these (in 18 reviews)

1. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Great Training
    Catered Lunch
    Great Product
    Great Income Potential

Cons

Bumps in the road at times (as with any start-up)

Advice to Management

Embrace the smart and talented people that work hard everyday, allow them the opportunity to grow.

"Honest Review: Great People, Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First I would like to say is most of the 5 star reviews are fake. They all seem to follow a similar format for the pros with a jokingly "con". Please don't be fooled by them thinking Revel is going to be amazing place. While there are pros, there are many cons. The former CTO/Co-founder is starting a new company which would get rid of "fakes" of the internet where users must authenticate their true identity before posting. I find this very ironic as this page is littered with fake reviews so if his company is to succeed, I would love to see who REALLY wrote some of these 5-star reviews.

What prompt me to write this is to give a truthful insight of my experience with the company. And to hopefully outset some of these 5 star reviews that are clearly fabricated.

- Meet some incredible people who you actually will continue to be in contact with well after leaving the company.
    - Loads of snacks and occasionally some new ones every now and then
    - Free lunch every day, can't complain about free even if it feels bland after few months
    - Direct managers do actually care about your well-being. While they may not have the power to flip everything around for you, they're in the same boat as you (most of the time).
    - some nice perks like commuter, gym, cell phone reimbursement. While some of these are standard now, it's still nice to have
    - the skills you learn due the overwhelming tasks you must perform will definitely boost your career for your next job after Revel
    - when the product is working, it feels nice to help out small businesses
    - Did I forget to mention the people? ride together die together mentality where everyone shares the same pains
    - I worked with some people overseas in other offices, they're some of the best people to work with.

Cons

- Pay is lower than market rate. The pay isn't the best, people who leave normally find jobs that pay much more.

- it's pure chaos. The product is very buggy. There was such a huge emphasize of making "new features instead of fixing the existing product. Perhaps this will now change under new leadership as the original CEO + CTO are now gone. Way too many experimental things that I won't name that further complicated things. While it may have worked at first, it only piled on more problems to fix and headaches for end user. Here's a thing running a simulated iPad running on special version of Revel, that is connected to this box thing that runs into here and there then into the iPad. All these backyard "hacks" seemed great at first, but never delivered the promised performance you would expect.

- If you plan on leaving the company, make it a priority to purchase whatever stock options you are vested in. If you leave the company, you have 90 days to purchase what you're vested in. When I contacted them after I've departed, they told me "The grant listed in your offer letter from January 2015 has not yet been officially granted by the Board of Directors." This was sent back to me in 2016 shortly after I contacted them after I departed. Take it from me, I recommend getting them before leaving because once you're out, they'll send you to dead-ends until your 90 days are up. Maybe this is different now under the new CEO.

- If you work in any position that directly in contact with customers, get ready for a lot of screaming, yelling, threats, legal action, etc. I guess this is normal with any customer support position but it pains to hear the hardship customers go through If I worked at Starbucks, I wouldn't feel bad if the latte I made doesn't have enough whip cream, but if your system lost all your credit card transitions from the night and you cannot pay out your waiters. Well, it's hard not to take the customer's side especially if you know it's not their fault.

- Unlimited PTO in the day is a double edged sword. Looked down upon if you take too many. I hear this is going away which I suppose is a good thing.

- Occasionally, a new update to the product will utterly destroy compatibility with older hardware we formerly supported thus leaving customers in the dark until it is patched days/weeks later. Try explaining that to them over the phone.

- Sales rep blame the support team for not doing their job, and tech support blame sales for over-promising the product. So here's really at fault? Probably a combination of both but doesn't matter as we both suffer

- When they try to hype up the company at events, it's incredibly corny and cheesy. A lot of false hope or lies about how well the company is doing, how we're the best in the market, etc. I would say though, the all-hands meeting at the comedy club was funny as heck.

- You may notice a lot of management changes, lay offs, etc. I've seen my fair share of VP of Sales, VP of Support, Director of this and that. Many come in excited to make a real change but only to leave due to the disorganization of the company. Bets would be made to see how long this one would last. It was that bad. It was sad to do but unfortunate truth.

- There isn't much work/life balance here, you work at work, you work at home at night, you work on your day off. You may receive a call while you're on vacation to work. You're in the hospital room giving birth to your 2nd child, you work. Okay that last one is an exaggeration but you get the point. I understand this may be the norm for bootstrap start ups but this company should be way passed that stage. Don't let your manager make you feel guilty for you not contributing to the success of company because you didn't want to work 16 hours.

- There isn't much for career growth, you'll be stuck at what you're doing. The best you'll probably do is become a team lead. You may be able to jump to a different department, but after the years I've worked there, people who jump to a completely different department tend to get fired very shortly after. Not always the case but most of the time. Your best bet is to move what little bit of upwards you have in the same department

CAUTION: The following is so totally true
    - Sometimes, there are no more Coronas on the 2nd floor so I have to walk to the 4th floor. When it rains, I can't eat outside on the balcony while sipping on my kombucha that came from tap.
    - They took away our nerf guns because someone got mad once. Gosh darn it
    - It's a growing company so there are some growing pains but I love my job. REVEL UP! Work hard PLAY HARD! YEAH

Advice to Management

- invest more in fixing the product as oppose to creating new features. While there are limitless possibilities of new cool features that may make life easier for some customers. I bet 100% that customers would prefer a stable system than the ability to have a legit house account system.
    - invest time in keeping talent and growing talent.
    - a former advice you may have noticed in older reviews is to replace the CEO, but since that has happened, this one is void. Someone with experience was desperately needed to take over to really help push the company forward.

With everything said and done, I really do wish for this company to succeed for the sake of everyone who is still there after I've left. You guys are hard workers and deserve so much more. There is a new CEO who actually has experience leading so things may change. I never had the honor to work under Scott Betts so I cannot rate how effective of a leader he is. Maybe he's good, maybe he's bad, maybe he's worse. Who knows. That is why, while I don't recommend this company, I give it a positive outlook. However, it's time for this cowboy to Revel Down.

3. "Senior Accountant"

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team building and great morale due to the growth of the company.

Cons

I enjoyed my time at Revel. No Cons.

"If you care about people, stay away"

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro there is, is basically some of the people you work with but not the management.
    I met a lot of people that I will consider friends for life, from around the globe.

Cons

Unfortunatel there are many cons.

People are not valued at all in this company, in fact upper management have no problems making an example out of people.

Department heads blame each other for their department failings, when it's clear as day that the processes that are implemented don't allow for employees to take care of their clients and only set up them up for failure.

As all that matters to the company is making a sale, this has meant that the company has no problem selling into countries that Revel isn't compliant in, this means clients can and will be fined quite heavily by their country's tax authority if it was made aware.

There's a big push to cut costs, and try to make some money in places. As such, Revel is forcing third party companies into insanely ridiculous revenue sharing agreements. On top of this, forcing clients to pay $15 per month per establishment for a "Partner Connect". Just so the client can use a third party integration that wasn't developed by Revel. This means a client could end up paying more to Revel for absolutely nothing, than the third party and it's not even enforceable as a third party only uses one "Partner Connect" to get/push information for all establishments.

On top of this, the new structure of the Client Success Manager/Project Manager team only gives Revel the excuse to cut down on Client Success Managers as more work gets heaped on to Project Managers whilst the CSM just does an install.

I have no doubt that right now, there's only one thing that matters and it's to make the books look good in anyway possible so they can sell it off.

Stay away from this company if you value your own sanity, the decisions that they make make no sense and management will never listen to their employees no matter how much they are screaming for things to change.

Also don't believe in the positive reviews here as they have been falsified. The COO has even been caught out in telling people to write positive reviews.

Advice to Management

Either listen to your employees, or leave already. It's clear that no one likes management and how they are happy to throw their employees under the bus.

"STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY!"

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great actors in the US.
    -Nice team in the UK.
    -Fun office setting.
    -Good location in London.
    -Trip to San Fran twice a year.

Cons

-Company has no real structure or process
    -The UK office is little more than a satellite office
    -Targets are unrealistic, the UK does not have full access to same tools and products as the US but have the same target.
    -The Head office in the US expect you to work long hours all through the night (San Fran time diff) until you hit your number, so look forward to 50-60 hour weeks.
    -When you interview they well blame previous employees saying they were not good enough or they left for personal reasons. they well try hide the truth from you and they all come across so so so nice. But as soon as your hired your just another person and if they don't need you anymore you're gone.
    -They have no filter and no loyalty, they sack groups of departments in various countries to ease their financial load because the company is run so poorly.
    -US make all the decisions, you have to follow there rules and if you don't they release you( micromanagement).
    -If you're a sales rep do not take this job, you are setup to fail they give you a ramp up period but you need 50% of your sales to be upsells to succeed. When you join they don't give you a portfolio so you're doomed from the start. .....there are not enough leads for the amount of sales reps in the office it is very poorly run from the US.
    -The performance improvement plan is harsh, so beware that if you don't achieve over 50% you well probably get sacked the next month.
    -They have no understanding of UK laws and try to reject any holiday request you make.
    too many people in the company have their own agendas because they know its such a cut throat company( battle of survival).
    The UK staff have NO benefits whatsoever no pension no health barely any holiday the phones are PAYG it's all a joke, but the US staff have all the benefits.
    HR barely respond to anything and do not know what they are doing outside of the US it's really a joke.

It's a vile company that only care for numbers, not people. please don't be fooled stay away and find something else.

Advice to Management

Try to actually care about people and not just numbers.
    Take advice from other countries, have a monthly remote meeting with management across the globe listen to what they need and work with them.
    Stop the undermining culture you have built its pathetic and creates more and more issues.

"A True Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location in North Beach is next to great restaurants. Some managers used to be innovative but they either left or were let go for their progressive ideas.

Cons

Unethical business practices. As a sinking ship, they've taken away unlimited PTO and have enforced strict office hours for certain teams. Healthcare plans went from great to extremely expensive for employees, almost where it doesn't seem like a benefit. The gym subsidy is only $25 after taxes, and will probably be gone soon if it hasn't been taken away already.

Employees are leaving as a result and their headcount is plummeting.

Bottom line: Employees are treated poorly and this is not an environment for growth. Look up their current lawsuits to learn more. It's public information after all.

"Inside Sales"

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time

Pros

Great people, product and company. Young culture that is fun and hardworking

Cons

Not a fit for lazy people

"Senior Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$13 allotted for lunch, SF location is great, Sales Directors are phenomenal and allow you to structure deals in a creative manner that make business sense for all parties involved.

Cons

Sadly, a corporate mindset is in full effect now. 100 PERCENT inside sales. Banned from working before/after business hours, banned working from home altogether and banned working on weekends. New comp plan lowered hardware commissions, eliminated the top multiplier, limited annual PTO to 2 weeks (AFTER you have accrued it) and still offers ZERO stock options or a matching 401(k).

Advice to Management

Sales 101 - Team bonuses & quarterly bonuses drive a team from the first day to the last. Utilize & structure them to the organization's advantage.

10. "Fast growing company, good for start"

Current Employee - QA Lead in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - QA Lead in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Revel Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, friendly environment, great team

Cons

paid parking, a homelesses on the street but it is San Francisco

"Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Revel Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Revel has an incredible winning culture and sells the best product in the industry, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. The majority of the leads are inbound for this reason, so if you come in with a strong outbounding background, the sky is the limit. Ilan, the manager in the Dallas office, is a flat out winner with a skill set that any sales person working from him can build off of. Tier 1 Support is right in the Dallas Office, and they're awesome too, but this is also a huge selling point+you can walk right over to them if you have an issue. I highly recommend jumping on the opportunity if you're presented one there, both for financial growth and for growth as a sales person.

Cons

Really none, there are bottle necks in the sales process with ops being in San Fran and removed from you locally in Dallas. But at the same time, they catch a lot of your mistakes.