Revolution Prep Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Ramit Varma and Jake Neuberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home: you can work from anywhere with good internet and a quiet environment (in 7 reviews)

• Great people, the kind of people you want to hang out with outside of work on your own time (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Con of Rev Pre would be the changes upper management makes to the business model (in 8 reviews)

• Fast-paced: I personally think this is a strength of the company because you can see a proposal come to fruition in a matter of weeks (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great work environment for work"

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time

Pros

Great people to be around and competitive work environment

Cons

I have no cons k

2. "Innovative company with employees at the forefront"

Current Employee - Professional Tutor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Tutor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great communication between staff and faculty members, even with so many being remote. Super smart and inspiring people to work with. As an instructor who was once freelance, it is brilliant to have a team of advisors and coworkers.

Cons

The "Full-Time" hours they tout don't always happen, especially in the summer. Programs are expensive, so it can feel like you're just helping rich kids get ahead.

Advice to Management

Bring back the once per quarter scholarship.

Jun 20, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your review! I'm happy you are getting so much from your team and your managers. We understand the frustration with not getting enough hours during slow seasons and are working to fix... More

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Professional Tutor
    Current Employee - Professional Tutor

I have been working at Revolution Prep part-time

Pros

-flexible hours
    -better pay than most
    -high expectations (I see this as a good thing, it seems that everyone is inspired to succeed!)
    -you can do it from anywhere as long as you have internet and the proper set up
    -they send you materials and have a large database

Cons

-company can be tight fisted with material costs
    -tutors have many responsibilities outside of tutoring, which can be difficult to manage
    -kind of cult-y (during the meetings you have to repeat the company motto, "Our goals are the same")

"Stay away from this company"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is remote working.

Cons

Taking advantage of tutors who are paid so little. Here are the facts, and you do the math:
    1) Require tutors to be graduate from top 50 universities.
    2) Full time work engagement.
    3) Salary is $20 per hour.
    Here is the math:
    Let's say a tutor works 40hrs a week at $20 per hour, which will make the tutor $3200 per month. After tax and health insurance, YOU BEARLY MAKE A LIVING in a decent city in the US.
    $3200 per month is a basic salary for a custom service job, which does not require a college degree from TOP 50 universities. All custom service job only require a high school diploma.

Apparently this company does not value the education you have worked so hard and paid so much to gain. Ironically, it is an educational institute.

I have learned that clients pay more than $100/hour to book tutor sessions from this company. As a tutor, you receive less than 1/5 of the payment.

Advice to Management

Pay and value tutors more. After all, they are the core of this company.

"There are better tutoring options"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Completely remote, but you can still interact with other tutors fairly often
    Good if you like working with kids

Cons

Pays poorly considering how much the company charges the parents (and how much you can make as a private tutor)
    Management seems indifferent to tutor well being/financial needs
    Recent push for "standardization" has created lots of tedious tasks and procedures that yield little to no benefits.
    Cult-ish in their emphasis of "growth mindset"
    They expect tutors to push program extensions on kids, which can come off very salesman-like.

6. "12 hour days are the norm."

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A relatively free trip to the company headquarters in California for training is a pro I guess. Quite a few of my colleagues are great people.

Cons

Don't have any misconceptions about this company. You are working retail hours with a twelve hour day quite commonplace. You will work weekends as well. So if you are thinking work life balance this is not the place for you. There is a new batch of academic advisor trainees that come to headquarters every three or four months. I guess it's to replace the previous advisors that are not making the cut. The direction of the company seems to change week by week. A new service offering comes out that up until the previous week would be considered sacrilege. But remember everyone. "Our goals are the same". Inside joke to my fellow revolutionaries.

Jun 26, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you wouldn't recommend your experience at Revolution Prep. We do have high expectations of our employees. We find that individuals who prefer a... More

7. "a very positive working environment"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility to set your own schedule and work from home, opportunity to form really meaningful relationships with students, very supportive working environment amongst peers, bonuses and raises available for employees that distinguish themselves

Cons

faculty managers and their metrics can be too micromanaging, company policies are always changing in terms of work standards and job requirements

Advice to Management

Find ways to emphasize metrics that don't seem punitive. All of the good tutors are already motivated to want to do their best work. Find ways to incorporate the metrics into helping tutor accomplish their teaching goals.

Jun 8, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you value the flexibility, support system and acknowledgment for your hard work. Thank you for the advice as well. We work hard to develop... More

"Sad decline"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Complete mobility (it's an online job). Opportunity to develop your own knowledge base. Years ago, strong pay with consistent advancement. Good middle management people. Youthful culture. I would have happily worked here forever if not treated like trash by upper management. It's a good resume builder.

Cons

No respectable HR department. Poor communication between academic advisors (salespeople) and tutors, which management addressed only in the most neutered and ineffective of ways. Silly company initiatives to boost morale that just wasted time and upset already-overworked tutors. No effort to retain best and brightest of tutoring staff or management. Constant changing of company policy and expectations of tutors. Insane expectations regarding workload. Upper management became increasingly obsessed with measuring success via data, which only added to workload and took away from really developing tutor-student relationships.

Advice to Management

Parents don't like weekly updates. They're an enormous time suck. Get an HR department. Let your tutors focus more on tutoring and less on supplementary stuff you think parents like. Invest in your tutors, in terms of better healthcare, additional education, and making sure they're not overworked. Realize that tutors are the moneymakers and there's a reason for the high turnover. Use tutors to build curriculum.

Jun 8, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not feel your efforts were properly valued. We are always looking for ways to improve our employees' experience. If you would like to... More

"Stay Away!! Shady practices."

Former Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Revolution Prep part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The option to telecommute is the biggest pro

Cons

Salary, Hours, Management, Policies, Transparency

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of your tutors.

Jun 20, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience. If you would like to share more specific concerns, I'd love to hear them so I can address them. You can reach me directly... More

10. "Off Queue Advisor"

Current Employee - Advisor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Advisor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is a great place to learn different aspects of sales and business development. If you are willing to put in the time to build a solid book of business you can thrive at the company. The job offers a good commission structure once you are either off of the queue or act as an outsider. There are also great people that work at this company. I really enjoyed working with all of my coworkers and my manager Eric was a wonderful person to learn from. The company also offers free lunch on certain days and it really is great to bring all of the other departments together. The role also is rewarding as you are helping families reach their goals. From being inside the office I have seen how dedicated the tutors faculty management team is. The standard they hold their employees to is really high and that translates to the great results the students see.

Cons

Micromanagement from some managers tends to become daunting and unnecessary. The company changes its policies and direction too often. Turnover of employees is too high. Hours and freedom are great if you are an outsider not as great as an insider. Pressure can be high when things arent going well.

Advice to Management

Try to retain employees for the long term .