Revolution Prep Reviews | Glassdoor

Revolution Prep Reviews

Updated February 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible work hours as well as the ability to work from home (in 6 reviews)

• At Revolution, you have the opportunity to work from home and set your own schedule, with flexible hours (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Con of Rev Pre would be the changes upper management makes to the business model (in 7 reviews)

• Fast-paced: I personally think this is a strength of the company because you can see a proposal come to fruition in a matter of weeks (in 5 reviews)

1. "Revolution Prep Review"

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time

Pros

At Revolution, you have the opportunity to work from home and set your own schedule, with flexible hours. The platform is great for working one-on-one with students from their home.

Cons

For those just starting out, compensation will be low until you have built up enough experience and long-term students to benefit from the bonus structure.

Advice to Management

None at the moment. With the recent changes to the pay structure and clarifying expectations for employees, things are moving in a positive direction.

2. "Sales"

I worked at Revolution Prep full-time

Pros

Unlimited time off (so they say), free lunches in LA office location, start-up culture.

Cons

It is a highly disorganized, unstructured company that has been around far too long to be as much of a mess as they are. Over demanding hours, low pay, no formal training, and certain managers are a bunch of misery, and make your life hell.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make culture changes. If multiple people have issues with specific upper management, it speaks volumes.

3. "Great Potential, Great Attitude, Not always the best allocation of resources"

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time

Pros

Revolution Prep is seriously committed to providing the best tutoring environment possible for its clients. It is also committed to providing its tutors with the teaching/tutoring resources they need to succeed. There are some opportunities to move up within the company, though they are no where as accessible as advertised when interviewing. More than anything else, this company does achieve something that seems almost impossible - they have created a workplace community in an online world. In other words, despite working from home, tutors have enough interaction with each other and with other employees to feel like they are part of a larger community and company, rather than an independent contractor working in isolation. Overall, there is a positive attitude among the staff, and they are very solution-oriented as a company.

Cons

The metrics used to measure tutor performance are absurd. A highly successful tutor can still score poorly in the quantitative reports, sometimes for issues that are not even in their control (e.g. students who have been assigned but are not yet meeting, or who cancel sessions). Additionally, the company does not always allocate its resources in the best way. Additional technology, or additional surveys, or additional training, is less likely to solve some of the problems this company faces than better pay and better treatment of the exceptional tutors they employ. Compensation for tutors seems low given the amount of work necessary to managing a program successfully. There have been sincere attempts to offer compensation for this added work, but only by adding more work... .

Advice to Management

Rework the tutor/adviser relationship; advisers sell the initial programs, but tutors perform ALL of the work that makes a program successful and encourages a family to continue/expand.

"Positive, Growing, Incredible Company"

Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Incredible team environment. Everyone is supportive and helpful. Management sets you up for success and puts you through intense but rewarding training. 108% growth last month. Free lunch on Tuesdays and Friday, unlimited snacks and PTO! If you want to join a team that helps students achieve their goals every day for a living... I recommend Rev Prep.

Cons

Engage and work hard, and you'll have no cons like me.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting everyone and helping the teams grow. I've never in my years seen a management team like this one.

6. "Amazing place to work and make a career!"

Current Employee - Outside Academic Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Academic Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Revolution Prep full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When i started with RevPrep, I had a full week of training and I continue to have on-going training twice a week that is incredibly positive and helpful. I cant say enough good things about my job - RevPrep has truly changed my life and helped me to create an amazing work life balance for my family and I. I have the autonomy to create my own schedule and make the best decisions for my clients. The environment I work in is always positive and I never have to guess where i stand with the company. My daily work flow is incredibly easy to follow, and I never have to guess what I am supposed to do to get results. I feel very lucky to work for a very progressive company that does what it takes to be the best!

Cons

I honestly do not have anything negative to say about my job. Ive been working for Revolution Prep for almost a year and I have had great success. I want to continue to grow in my role and the company allows me to do so.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great example of how NOT to run a business"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Some really great people and in my time there I had 2 awesome managers (who were both let go).

Cons

Business model, executive team, lack of mission, disorganized.

"Great experience (if you know what you're doing)"

Pros

Full independence. If you're getting results, no one will be monitoring you too closely. Great for those that have their own methods and don't want to have to do something a certain way.

Cons

Very little training. If you don't already know how to get through to students, I hope you can learn on your own.

Advice to Management

Some form or more regular contact with your part time employees

"Opportunity for those that like accountability and rewards"

Pros

Great service and programs. We have the best tutors within the industry which makes all of our jobs easier. You get to help students achieve their academic and personal goals and support families that want to provide academic support for their children. Results oriented environment and culture. Very extensive hiring and on-boarding and ongoing training provided. Flexibility and autonomy with positions, however, there's the responsibility of performing.

Cons

Not necessarily a Con, results oriented culture and pace is not for everyone. If you don't like to be held accountable for your individual contributions, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with the aggressive goals and hiring the best talent in the industry. Thrilled to be part of the team and having the ability to make positive change and grow the company..

"Work for low pay and no reward"

Pros

some people there are nice, mostly the ones who haven't been there long enough to know it will suck their soul.

Cons

disorganized. no training provided. expectations at all time high even with no training. only apply if you can read minds. If you're doing something wrong, they won't tell you or set you up for success. they'll just fire you. long hours. projects thrown on you hours to few days before deadline. awful low pay

Advice to Management

don't suck so much

"Nightmare"

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays and some nice people. Major geekfest.

Cons

Disorganized, low pay and long hours, one of the founders is a true jerk. A few of the employees spend all their time sucking up to him.