Rexam Reviews | Glassdoor

Rexam CEO Graham Chipchase
Graham Chipchase

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours with no time for family (in 6 reviews)

"Terminated for following company H1N1 policy."

Former Employee - Liner Machine Operator in Brookville, PA
    Former Employee - Liner Machine Operator in Brookville, PA

Pros

Pay was good and health care was excellent.

Cons

Don't follow own company policies, don't inform employees of certain FMLA rights.

Advice to Management

Fire the &*%&%& that made the decision to fire people abiding company policy. See you in Federal Court.

"You are not the only who got screwed"

I worked at Rexam full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The roof don't leak and the parking lot is nice.

Cons

They are full of crap with their, we care about employees bull.
    They will fire your butt for speaking up. They want silent slaves.
    The hire the guy with the biggest line of crap to lead and he fires
    anyone who has a different view.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the bullys, get rid of the one full of themselves.

"Good salary and benefits, terrible culture and atmosphere."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Rexam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, bonus, and benefits. Other than this there were no pros. This is the worst company I have ever worked for and I regret changing jobs to move there.

Cons

Work/life balance is terrible. Salaried employees are expected to work at least 60 hours per week. 12-13 hours a day minimum is required. Plant management treats supervision terribly. It was common for management to curse and berate supervision.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. The workplace is not like the military.

4. "It was good until a foreign company bought us."

Former Employee - Production Worker in Constantine, MI
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Constantine, MI

I worked at Rexam full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We had good pay, good benefits, 401

Cons

The union always saved the bad people, long hours, a lot of mis communication with the management to the staff.

Advice to Management

Don't destroy the next company you run.

"Be smart...if you get a job here...never talk to anyone ever"

Former Employee - Quality in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Quality in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at Rexam full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I hate that I had to give this a one star. Let me break it down a bit. There are so many great things I loved about working at Rexam.

If based of the facility, the work performed, the opportunity for learning, the ability to laterally move positions to avoid boredom, the great hourly rate, the fantastic earning potential with overtime, a core of good immediate supervisors, the freedom to run the show in the particular area manned with little interference (also a negative-think of the lazy and the aloof you work with), the pride of the company name and the brands we provide product to:

5 stars

There was never a day I rolled out if bed thinking I hated my job. I loved working there and I'm disappointed I no longer am a part of the Rexam company. I was proud of where I worked and proud of what I did and appreciated the paycheck I was getting while at the same time being given hands on job training and cross training in any positions I was willing to bust my behind and learn to do. I thought I was going to retire from there. I got along well with my immediate supervisors, pretty much across the board. I worked hard and took care of business and as far as they cared as long as the job was done, the numbers were in the green and the product was to spec, they rarely bothered anyone.

Ultimately, it was my responsibility to follow the rules and I took advantage of a great job and a very lenient situation and because I did not have the backing I the union I lost my job. Many others have done the same and worse and are still employed there at this very moment.

Cons

The reasons I give it only one star are very few but one weighs very heavy. It turned an awesome place to an absolutely miserable nightmare. I can only speak of the facility in Chatsworth, CA

Upper management in the local plant was so far removed from the reality of-what the facility actually needed, the personality conflicts between the hourlies, the application of potential improvements, the relationships the operators have with the machines they operate and work on daily and the validity of their input, the glad handing and favoritism of the union for and against their own brothers, the inability of the immediate supervisors to hold hourlies accountable when blatantly in violation for fear of retribution from the union, the wishy-washy stance on quality from everyone BUT the QC department, the lack of communication from management to hourlies except in 30 min once a month BS meetings. Ultimately, all the nonsense with management not understanding the basic stuff that happened with hourlies would have only taken me down to 4 stars, that's what they have the immediate supervisors for-so they can handle the small problems and the upper management handles the REAL things that keep them in business.

If I could give it a negative review I would give it a negative 3 stars. That's because of the union. They pick and choose who they like and who they don't. They help their friends when any iota of trouble happens. They would fight for months to get an erroneous grievance overturned if it was one of the many that is a long time friend, family member, yes man-of the union officials. But when a member doesn't fall in line with them and speaks up against them, they turn the full power of the contract and company policy against that person. Anyone not in line was categorized as having "a target on their back" and was made to feel like an outcast. (The actual term we often used when the next victim was under fire). They use their close contact with upper management to undermine people's character, turning them into despicable people. They use their knowledge of the company regulations and policies to undermine peoples mistakes, turning them into a safety risk. They use their knowledge of the rules to undermine people's reliability, turning them into a burden instead of a benefit. They use their knowledge of your personal life to undermine a person's sense of worth, using peer pressure and word of mouth and gossip to make it an unhappy, uncomfortable, unfulfilling place to have to show up to.

Ultimately, it was my responsibility to follow the rules and I took advantage of a very lenient situation and because I did not have the backing of the union I lost a great job. Many others have done the same and worse and are still employed there at this very moment. That does not make what I did excusable (violation of attendance policy) so I accept that I am no longer employed there by no fault of anyone except my own. I miss what I did and I miss a lot of great people that worked there. I was very proud to work there and regret that I am no longer part of it. At the same time I am so flipping glad I don't work there anymore. I wake up every day happy that I am free of the people that made that place a nightmare. No amount of money would be worth the misery.

Advice to Management

Advice to union:
    -Stop nitpicking and look at the big picture
    -Being a union official doesn't make you judge, jury and executioner. Remember this word? UNBIASED
    -Hold people accountable when it's necessary, not everyone should get off, sometimes screw-ups need to be answered to
    Advice to management:
    -Fire almost everyone. Start fresh. Shoot. Fire EVERYONE and start fresh. And be stern. Don't allow the union there. Pay well, just like you do now. Acknowledge positive behavior and address negative EVERY TIME. Imagine how amazing it will be there!
    -Stop listening to the union, they are politicians trying to put favors in their own pockets while selling people they don't like down the river.
    -Ask those who work with the equipment every single day what they think about potential project plans and input on said plans.
    Advice to employees:
    -Try and remember it's not middle school. It's work. Shut your mouths, mind YOUR business, do your job.
    -Stop feeling entitled to 3-5 hours of breaks every shift. If everyone used the time that they were SUPPOSED to work to ACTUALLY work that place would be unstoppable instead of a gossip factory and a rumor mill constant clean up project waiting to happen.

"Currently in middle management. If you are part of the 1% you are in great shape. If not RUN"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor

I have been working at Rexam full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits. Change in ownership will hopefully change the culture.

Cons

THE MOST NEGATIVE ATMOSPHERE YOU WILL EVER WORK IN!!! Communication is simply not existent. Long hours with no time for family. Middle management is looked upon as the odd man out and the dumping grounds for upper management and the hourly employees. If you are a motivated employee simply expect to have more thrown on your shoulders. Nothing is ever enough in the eyes of upper management.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like you would want to be treated. Be honest with your staff and stop telling them what you "think" they want to hear.

7. "Group IT"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Asia, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Asia, TX

I worked at Rexam full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Asian office and people are nice. Can't think of any Pros for this company! Bad bad bad bad very bad.

Cons

CEO made bad decision. Given up the whole Asia market as other companies looking for the chance in Asia! No future for this CEO.

Advice to Management

Open your eye to see which countries you should focus on!

8. "Poor management in plastics"

I worked at Rexam full-time

Pros

Good flexibility during the work week

Cons

Poor pay and management

Advice to Management

Love your employees more

9. "Never trust the management!"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Rexam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good training opportunities

Cons

Senior management says one thing, and does another. They say they are a very freindly company, but seldom follows the laws. lots of discrimination and harrassment if you dont listen to whatever senior management says or you whistle blow something to the senior management team based in Millbank.

Advice to Management

Provide greater flexibility for job growth by permitting more flexibility to work remotely, and also do not harass / discriminate employees when they raise a valid issue. Stop being dictatorial.

10. "Harassment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Free canteen
    Convenient car park
    Nice offices

Cons

Extremely bad atmosphere, very negative attitude of some staff given free rain from management to do and say what they want regardless of other people's sensibilities or statuses, e.g. ageism, prejudice on marital status, inappropriate sexual comments or questions.
    Absolutely zero opportunity for personal development, more like "do what you are told to do, stay in your corner and don't ask any questions about anything else" kind of attitude.

Advice to Management

Check on all your staff, including temps and contractors. There is clearly a culture of second second class human beings if they are not permanent employees.