Reynolds American Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Debra A. Crew
1 Rating

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 68 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager Trade Marketing in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager Trade Marketing in Miami, FL

Pros

If you are looking for a career and great people to work for and work with; you have found the right company. Our customers appreciate our expertise in the field and rely on our ability to help them be successful.

Cons

The Industry is competitive and for some that may be a concern. For individuals who like to win, come join us!

Advice to Management

Continue to lead us to success. Continue to provide the training and education we need to help our customers. Thank you.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Account Manager Trade Marketing in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Account Manager Trade Marketing in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training is excellent. Great benefits.

Cons

Very political for moving up.

3. "RJR Company Review for Prospects"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, company car, work from home

Cons

incosistency with senior management team

5. "Pros vs Cons"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, company vehicle, health plan, 401k and overall daily work load.

Cons

Dying industry, non achievable demands and delusional corporate strategy.

Advice to Management

There are way to many of you.. Downsizing would be a great idea.

6. "Incompetent Management and Unrealistic goals may end your career"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Some regions operate like a family, they make sure that all of their people are in a position to succeed.
    - Benefits
    - Car
    - People (Excluding Denver Team)
    - Bonus
    - Training

Cons

These were my negative experiences working with the Denver Region:
    - No coaching
    - No positive feedback
    - Minimal Development
    - Incompetent Upper Management
    - Unrealistic Expectations from Upper Management
    - Have to be 100% mobile for promotions
    - Rule by fear
    - Micro-managing
    - (3 AM's in 3 months quit in 2011)

Advice to Management

Take a look at some of the people you have in Region Director and Senior Management positions. My experience in other regions was much more positive than in Denver.

"We need help"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbus, OH

Pros

car, laptop, cell phone allowance

Cons

Horrible manager--treats people like with no respect. Never has anything positive to say and does not mentor or coach at all. This manager has a bad reputation of destroying careers.

Advice to Management

poll managers and trade marketing reps on how division manager treats people

"Enjoyed working for RJR but needed a change"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Great company to work for out of college. All the benefits are a plus. car, phone, internet, expense account (cc), paid time off, sick days, personal days. Moving up is more than possible if you are willing to relocate and work hard for it.

I would recommend this job to new college grads looking to venture into sales. It has greatly helped me to build a strong resume. It will give you great training and teach you territory management skills.

Cons

The business is changing rapidly. The tobacco industry is falling fast and the company is trying to invent smokeless products to fix a nicotine addictions. People started smoking to enjoy the relaxing past time. With all the health risks and the FDA restrictions the company will be looking at some serious changes. People are always fearing the loss of their jobs and down sizing. It's an uneasy industry if your looking to enter it now.

Plan on working none stop. You will always be on our email. They change VERY quickly in this company. As soon as you think you are caught up , you will start all over agin with something new. The job never stops and is always going in different directions.

This is a industry not liked by many people. You MUST have thick skin because you WILL have people make comments to you while you are out working. I have personally been called a murderer. I have also been called a bad person on several occasions once on a plane ride and once by a homeless person. You are the face of the company and people WILL blame you for their personal stories.

Advice to Management

Look at hiring people based on skill rather than mobility. You are loosing good candidates because of it.

"Don't drink the RJR Kool-Aid"

Former Employee - Account Manager Trade Marketing in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Manager Trade Marketing in Nashville, TN

Pros

You can take vacation whenever you want. Good place to start if you are right out of school. The company is desperate for young people to engage young smokers face-to-face. The company will embrace you and promote you quickly.

Cons

VERY political. I could go on all day here. They treat everybody, employees, customer, consumers, like crap. They think by saying something it makes it so (we are ethical, passionate.....etc) They are anything but. Senior management has no clue. I was with them for 21 years, and the company lost share every year. Like playing for the Cubs- lose EVERY time. The company is hemorraging cash, and will probably soon be bought by a competitor.

Advice to Management

This company is beyond repair.

10. "Good Company, but a short term outlook."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

good compensation, flexible hours. Decent benefits.

Cons

Senior management is quite arrogant. The long term outlook for the industry is not good. Unfortunately everything is looked at in a short term profit perspective. Most pricing is tied to taxes, so the ability to grow profitability is limited. The company has been slashing costs mostly personnel. this has limted their effectivenes at retail.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to the filed people. They understand what is key in the industry. Theory does not match reality. Get out more into the stores and talk with retialers and consumers. You may not really understand what the situation is.

11. "Great company. Highly recommended."

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love this job! Great company with amazing support and training. Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me!), 401 etd. Very team oriented. You are left alone to manage your business.

Cons

The lonely hours! With one of the pros being you are left alone to manage your business, it is also one of the cons. Lot's of time spent on your own. You have interaction with customers everyday and your team is always available, but at the end of the day it is just you out there getting it done.

Advice to Management

Ensure we hit the goals! LTIPs for everyone!