Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Reynolds American President and CEO Ricardo Oberlander
Ricardo Oberlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with a great work-life balance" (in 74 reviews)

• "Great benefits, car, vacation days more than many companies" (in 113 reviews)

Cons
  • "At busy times work life/balance can become a pattern" (in 40 reviews)

• "My biggest qualms with RJRT is that without Territory managers the company would be sunk" (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Easton, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Easton, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An exciting time to be in the ever changing tobacco industry-constantly changing environment
    Working is never boring or repetitive - something new and different every day
    Make your own schedule/independent work
    Very good training programs
    Coaching environment where weaknesses can be turned into strengths
    High level of transparency
    Company car
    Employees treated well and cared about

Cons

Depending on who your manager is could change your experience with the company
    Sometimes initiatives can change too quickly and can feel that they didn't have enough time to take root

Advice to Management

Continue with a transparent and employee focus culture.

Oct 4, 2018

We are in a time of significant change and we’re glad you’re energized by the ride! Thank you for the advice, we intend to stay focused on making sure our employees feel like a valued part of our... More

2. "Great company for great talented hard working people"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, listens to and acts upon employee feedback
    Great benefits, yearly increase (merit increase), Leadership visibility
    Best training provided to succeed not only within the company but also in any other sales, consulting business environment.

Cons

Wish HQ location was in a larger / metro area
    Some added complexity due to technology issues

Advice to Management

Continue to promote within and continue the great culture, transparency and candor.
    Understand and accept that despite all efforts, added benefits and recognition programs put in place based on employee feedback, you can’t please everyone. There will aways be those who complain and take a lot for granted.

Mar 22, 2019

Thanks for the feedback and for your service to the company! We believe in providing a nurturing environment where employees can develop both professionally and personally, so we're glad to hear that... More

"Awesome Company with Awesome benefits"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are out of this world, Great maternity program, Company vehicle and computer. Work life balance is really good. Advancement opportunities available. comprehensive training. If you have a awesome boss like I do, life will be smooth sailing. I've heard some horror stories about some bosses.

Cons

SALARY! The starting salary is significantly lower than the competition. There are plenty things that contribute to this i'm sure. But the work we do needs to match salary. confusing motives at times. If you can focus on the main goal and avoid ALL the trees (there are ALOT of trees) you will succeed with this company. If you like functioning in constant grey areas and confusion this will also be the job for you. If you want to advance you will have to move. No doubt about it.

Advice to Management

Salary is extremely important to your territory managers. The recent salary increases are a step in the right direction but still severely low, especially in this economy. Be more transparent to employees! If you spent a fraction less on grandiose events and added that to trade employee salary we would all be very happy!

"Company needs some guidance."

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car, flexibility, 401K match and health insurance.

Cons

Workload, Stress, Expectations for initiatives are unreasonable, A good DM will allow you to manage your area and trust you to do a good job. A DM that does not have trust and micro manages can place an unnecessary amount of stress on a TM.
    The recent pay increase announcement disappointed the tenured TM's. The tenured TM's train, mentor and are expected to pick up all the workload for vacant assignments yet they will now be very close to the same salary as someone that has been with the company for a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Think things through from another perspective before making decisions and announcing changes.

"Ok Company to start with, but leave after getting some sales experience"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car, matching 401k,

Cons

Absolutely no career advancement unless you are willing and able to move around. Depends on who the division manager can make or break your job. if you have a division manger who is bothering you. You need to sit them down and have a talk. If need be call HR and put in a complaint. Low pay compared to other companies in similar roles.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to pour the company Kool-Aid down everyone's throat. Listen to people who are on the street and take their advice. This company has lost a ton of talent because of the issue of making people move to take the job or to get a promotion.

6. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in.

Cons

None that I can think of

7. "Good company to start at"

Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales training, good benefits, fun work environment.

Cons

Unclear how to grow with in company.

Feb 28, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you found Reynolds American, Inc. a great place to start your career.

"Good company to start with"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Benefits, supportive culture if you have the right DM

Cons

The car is a plus but you have to pay $175 a month for it which is not fair.

Advice to Management

Accept everyone as promotable instead of just those “suck up”

"This company makes you truly appreciate your next company"

Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company car was nice. 401k match

Cons

Sorry to say they seriously need to fix the salary. The company knows they are hemorrhaging TM turnover. Then they thought of a quick fix and instilled a slap in the face salary increase other posts have mentioned. this minimal salary increase people literally laughed at. It’s like seeing an open wound the size of a forearm and using a bandaid to stop the bleeding. The hemorrhage continues. And the company really didn’t seem to care about it.

Promotion path opportunities are archaic. mandetory relocation from wherever you are at not knowing where you will end up for a 6400 dollar raise. Lots of hoops to jump through and brown nosing required just to get their attention. Some accepted this path and are now miserable. Really not worth it.

My new role is similar to this but the pay is much better and I am so happy I do not have to pick up my family and leave my chosen city to get promoted. It’s a blessing that RJRT didn’t care about my career. I wouldn’t have considered looking for other opportunities if they were willing to promote within the same area.

Advice to Management

The grass is truly greener on the other side. Making your side green enough is no longer enough. Truly make it greener for an employee to stay than to consider leaving. Pay competitively and give promotions to those that deserve it not just who have the mobility. I as well as other tenured TMs (at least 9 I know with over 10 years +) have told me they would still be in the company if we did not have to leave our areas to get promoted. Things happen for a reason. I am glad I snapped out of the koolaid long enough to find an awesome company that appreciates my work ethic and experience.

10. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of positive challenges and opportunities to shine

Cons

challenges associated with being in tobacco business

Feb 28, 2019

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your feedback. Tobacco is a challenging industry but you are correct, those challenges offer opportunities.