Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Reynolds American President and CEO Ricardo Oberlander
Ricardo Oberlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible with a great work-life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Great benefits, car, vacation days more than many companies (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • At busy times work life/balance can become a pattern (in 32 reviews)

• Nothing except the fact it's in the tobacco industry (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ignore the Negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As mentioned in many prior reviews, the benefits are superb. The company is constantly on the edge of it's seat finding and thinking of new ways to take care of it's employees.

> Company Car - GMC Terrain ($150 is taken out of every other check to cover expenses. All servicing, fuel and anything else related to the vehicle is covered.
    > Cell phone and at-home Internet service allowance.
    > Company electronic devices including and at-home monitor and accessories for employee office.
    > Covered moving expenses for new-hires and promotions
    > and the list goes on...

Another big benefit is the support and guidance to help progress your career in the right direction. The company firmly believes in educating and providing the right resources to raise the bar of it's employees.

You also have the autonomy to manage your own territory while striving to achieve the company goals. With that being said, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck 5 days a week. In my personal experience, my supervisor trusts my business decisions and gives me the support I need, when I need it. That type of work environment is priceless to me and has truly allowed me to evolve into a more responsible, business-minded individual.

Cons

I titled this review , "Ignore the Negativity" due to the extensive amount of biased reviews that have rolled in over the past few months. Yes, it's no lie, we have had a busy year, but also quite the successful year. Additionally, the company provides us with multiple resources to help with the work load such as 3rd party merchandising support and identifying marketplace opportunities which helps take some of the load off.

To put it in perspective, the work of what was done by 4 reps, have been combined into one. Sounds daunting Right? Well before we jump to conclusion, our company has reduced the size of our assignments giving us the opportunity to visit our important accounts more frequently and for longer timeframes. In the past, one TM might have 250 stores while managing the brand's for 1 company, now that same TM has approx 100 stores managing all which means less drive time, more of a condensed impact and less stress. Work-life balance is a huge point for the company and I assure you, they will continue to find ways to best optimize this lifestyle.

In regards to promotions, yes they are rare. But not everyone can get promoted Right? The trick here is do your best and the best will come.

Advice to Management

It is our people that make our brands special and strong. Continue to put the employees first and we will continue to make the magic happen! In order to be more competitive, the pay structure needs to be revisited. There is about a 15k gap between our largest competitor for the TM role.

2. "Inspiring, Innovating, Future Focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you enjoy an inspiring environment, a company that fuels innovation, a company that invests in employee development, being empowered to be creative, and being surrounded by amazing talent, this company is for you.

Cons

If you are not dedicated to work hard, willing to challenge, and not comfortable providing innovative thinking, this company may not be for you.

"Opportunity Awaits"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RAI is an interesting organization that has such a long history and so many tenured employees. This is a great asset in celebrating the successes that got the company to where it is today. The organization is filled with many people who are extremely passionate about their jobs and the company's mission to transform tobacco. The new CEO Ricardo Oberlander is a genuine leader who I've had the opportunity to see interact with many employees. He listens; he brings years of experience; and he is committed to leading the company for future success.

Cons

The revered heritage can also be a downfall. Some have never worked anywhere else and it makes change challenging, especially for those who come to the company with outside expertise.

Advice to Management

Transparency is critical, especially during this very ambiguous time of change with the BAT acquisition.

4. "Top Notch in Every Way"

Current Employee - Director in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reynolds American takes great care to recruit top talent and onboard new employees in a way I’ve not experienced in my 20-year career. That means you get the chance to work with smart people who are set up for success. The culture is friendly and supportive and the opportunities from a business and personal development standpoint are profound.

The benefits package is generous and the company truly lives the “great place to work” accolades they’ve received. While Winston-Salem, NC is a smallish city, it has a lot to offer once you get to know it.

The new CEO, Ricardo Oberlander is a transformative leader and it’s exciting to hear him talk about the innovative path the company is on.

So many people have been here for decades, literally. That’s a testament to the culture, leadership, and real opportunities to grow and shape your career.

Cons

The acquisition by British American Tobacco has certainly ushered in change. While transitions like that always make people uneasy, the overall mood is positive and forward-looking.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the people that are committed to the company and stay transparent.

5. "One of the best corporate jobs around"

Current Employee - Director in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I joined RAI more than 10 years ago because I thought it would be an interesting, challenging job. Boy, was it ever. Yes, it's a high-performing culture with high expectations and there's a lot of work, but you do grow and you are well rewarded as other reviewers have said. Mostly, I enjoy the stimulation and working with some terrific people in a very collaborate environment.

Cons

The negative flip side of a dynamic environment like ours is ... lots of change

Advice to Management

Manage down, not just up. People will love you for it and give you their loyalty.

6. "Great Benefits, Great Work & Great People"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay. I love the fact that the pay structure is published for all to see. The work is challenging and I have grown professionally as a result. My managers have all been deeply involved in my development and I have the flexibility to chart my own professional journey. I truly own my projects and am given the opportunity to make impactful decisions. The absolute best part about the job is the people! Working here is almost like joining a family. People truly care for each other and help each other inside and outside of work. Making personal connections at work is supported through employee events and "success" celebrations.

Cons

Not all managers are created equal. Also, there is a lot of ambiguity that exists right now with the recent acquisition by BAT. My gut tells me that any changes that come will be for the better.

Advice to Management

Ensure that employees are in the loop on any changes well ahead of time. Keep up the meetings with Ricardo - the new CEO. We all want to continue to interact with him and also see him active in the community.

"Be Aware, Disappointment Lies Ahead"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits-health, car, internet/phone allowance. Fleet management is great.

Cons

The workload since the acquisition of Newport has more than doubled. At every meeting, conference, communication, etc. upper management always says that the workload will be lighter the next year. That has yet to happen. They claimed that they were minimizing territories due to the heavy workload. My entire division's store count either stayed the same or increased. Yet, the company holds all territories to the same standards.
    The amount of product launches we have had is ridiculous. Cigarette sales decline each year, yet we make more cigarettes, change packaging, etc. We are asking retailers for too much at this point. It isn't fair to our retailers or territory managers. It ruins our credibility, which is a core value of this company. We are told over and over again that we can all make informed decisions, but our choices are overridden or overlooked. I really enjoyed working for this company the first few years, but these last few years have been draining, monotonous and discouraging.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Figure out a reasonable salary for TM's. I guarantee you that your retention rate will increase significantly, especially in the San Francisco region. You can't expect people to live off of the salary in certain cities/states. Someone in New York City should not be making the same amount as someone in rural Kansas. Plus, the workload is insane with the new tracking system, excessive amount of brand launches and unreasonable expectations placed on TM's.

8. "Marketing Director"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Challenging, Great Benefits, People Oriented, Career Progression

Cons

Minimal cons. At busy times work life/balance can become a pattern

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits great. Flexible with a great work-life balance

Cons

Some people don't like constant movement of positions

Advice to Management

Keep on focusing on the people!

"Find a job somewhere else"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits you're okay, that's about it

Cons

Definitely geared to the younger person right out of college. Senior Management just doesn't care the job is only as good as your district manager. There are some good ones and there are some very very very terrible ones.

Advice to Management

You need to clean house with some of your district managers if they've hired a bunch of people and those people are gone it's not the people that's the problem.