Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 31 reviews)

• Nothing except the fact it's in the tobacco industry (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ignore the Negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As mentioned in many prior reviews, the benefits are superb. The company is constantly on the edge of it's seat finding and thinking of new ways to take care of it's employees.

> Company Car - GMC Terrain ($150 is taken out of every other check to cover expenses. All servicing, fuel and anything else related to the vehicle is covered.
    > Cell phone and at-home Internet service allowance.
    > Company electronic devices including and at-home monitor and accessories for employee office.
    > Covered moving expenses for new-hires and promotions
    > and the list goes on...

Another big benefit is the support and guidance to help progress your career in the right direction. The company firmly believes in educating and providing the right resources to raise the bar of it's employees.

You also have the autonomy to manage your own territory while striving to achieve the company goals. With that being said, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck 5 days a week. In my personal experience, my supervisor trusts my business decisions and gives me the support I need, when I need it. That type of work environment is priceless to me and has truly allowed me to evolve into a more responsible, business-minded individual.

Cons

I titled this review , "Ignore the Negativity" due to the extensive amount of biased reviews that have rolled in over the past few months. Yes, it's no lie, we have had a busy year, but also quite the successful year. Additionally, the company provides us with multiple resources to help with the work load such as 3rd party merchandising support and identifying marketplace opportunities which helps take some of the load off.

To put it in perspective, the work of what was done by 4 reps, have been combined into one. Sounds daunting Right? Well before we jump to conclusion, our company has reduced the size of our assignments giving us the opportunity to visit our important accounts more frequently and for longer timeframes. In the past, one TM might have 250 stores while managing the brand's for 1 company, now that same TM has approx 100 stores managing all which means less drive time, more of a condensed impact and less stress. Work-life balance is a huge point for the company and I assure you, they will continue to find ways to best optimize this lifestyle.

In regards to promotions, yes they are rare. But not everyone can get promoted Right? The trick here is do your best and the best will come.

Advice to Management

It is our people that make our brands special and strong. Continue to put the employees first and we will continue to make the magic happen! In order to be more competitive, the pay structure needs to be revisited. There is about a 15k gap between our largest competitor for the TM role.

2. "Great Company"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

They take care of you, a lot of fun!

Cons

The ceiling is real but is also breakable if you put in the time.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the rural areas.

3. "Liked it"

Former Employee - Professional Territory Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Professional Territory Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

COmpany Car, Benefits, Freedom, Customer relationships, 401k, Co workers

Cons

Gas Station atmosphere was not in good conditions

4. "Director"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Incredible organization ! The people always come first and the culture is amazing. I am happy to work for this outfit and would recommend it to anyone

Cons

No real cons at this time. I hope the acquisition does not change what we have built over the past 14 years

Advice to Management

Continue to demonstrate leaderships at all turns

"Don’t believe the hype"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has nice perks ... but that’s about it
    1. Company car
    2. Decent pay
    3. Flexibility
    4. Trainings that helps across the board—- not just in tobacco
    5. The benifits are okay... having a copay would be a lot cheaper

Cons

This job is Extremely stressful! And the industry Is changing dramatically. I do believe once upon a time this was a great company with endless opportunities for growth.
     Based on my experiences, this is the true definition of a good ol boy in environment. Of course the company wants everyone to feel included so they post pictures and inspirational quotes during Black history month however when you’re amongst your peers you feel like the ugly stepchild. Don’t let your division have a meeting after hours, if you don’t drink... you won’t fit in... so you might as well chug a beer. The company paints a picture as if they want you to help your peers but it’s all a game . Peer rankings cause team members to turn against one another when in reality, you may just have a sucky area. Chain heavy areas are most successful and independent heavy areas are normally at the bottom of the totem pole. If your a natural born Butt Kisser or BSer this the job for you. Retailers aren’t happy anymore , margins are much lower, more products are forced on their fixtures, which makes your job more stressful....and you wonder why they jack up the prices when we turn our backs?Are we truely selling or are we just enforcing contracts 🤔??? When you try to do what’s right and help the retailers with monitoring the forced shipped mandated promos it only hurts your numbers so you may as well lie and just make them take everything . Some retailers love you but hate to see you coming —- so much of their money is trapped in product they have to have but doesn’t sell. I loved my job about 2 years ago, but now it’s a pain. Someone mentioned in another review “90% of our job is putting out fires” and that’s 100% accurate. The frustrating part is it’s only getting more stressful! Have you seen what fixtures look now? And they’re only cramming more product on it!
    My manager is actually awesome but I feel sorry for him, I would hate to have his job. They promote who they want to promote. They identify favorites, hold their hands, and place them in places to succeed. If you’re not a favorite don’t expect to get past the TM ROLE.

If you’re fresh out of college, or just needing some experience go for it. The culture is messed up and it’s gonna take a lot to un-mess it.... i would’ve used another word but that would’ve been inappropriate.

Advice to Management

Take a Chill Pill

6. "Good Ole Boys"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, not too challenging day to day job

Cons

little-to-no advancement opportunity, horrible middle management, declining industry

Advice to Management

affirmative action culture is killing this company from the bottom up.

"Shiny on Surface Lots of Problems Beneath"

Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shiny on Surface...

Facilities are good.
    The Company has spent a lot of money to attract people (make it shiny on the outside). Most locations in gyms that are similar to a high end hotel gym. Most of the larger locations have cafeterias.

Pay for Winston Salem is good.
    If you work in the factory as a direct hire it is good. If you work in the office in a professional position it is good, to start.

Benefits are decent.
    There are many options to choose from. 401K match is good and tailored to new hires.

Cons

HR games never end.
    HR does "just enough" to keep people at work. They put gyms in, and parade this around. They have parties to celebrate this or that. They tell you have great they are and how lucky you are to work there. END. For most people who work there, there are NO, I repeat NO opportunities to advance. So, if you are happy with the pay and title you are getting when you are hired, you better be happy with it as long as you're there because the chances of you getting promoted are slim to none at all if you fall into certain demographics, in my opinion.

Transparency.
    There is NO transparency. It's all a smoke and mirrors atmosphere. They do what they can to pacify you with words but no actions. Your boss will tell you anything to get more work out of you. (S)he will do nothing, in earnest, to help you professionally or career-wise.

Size/Bureaucracy.
    Now that we are part of BAT we hear how BIG we are all the time. It's really, we are way more bureaucratic. So many levels to go through for most any initiative. It's like you are fighting yourself.

These are opinions backed up by having worked there as a direct hire, full-time, employee.

Think twice before planning on a career here.

Advice to Management

Read my review and react. When you do the "surveys" listen to the feedback and act on it. Practice what you preach.

8. "shipping"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

best job i have ever had

Cons

i dont have any thing negitive to say othr than thy sold out and i didnt have my job

Advice to Management

let employees know what to expect if offered a job with new company ,instead everything was kept secret and the employyee had no clue if they would have a job ,, same pay ,,, same shift ,, same benifits ,,,was told nothing

"Company Info for RAI"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, AM EX card, company car, and company gas card

Cons

Workload can be unbearable due to all of the recent acquisitions

Advice to Management

I don't offer free advice...

"Was Once Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• The benefits are top notch: Vision, Medical, 401K, Vacation, Medical Savings Account, etc. HR may be the best facet of the entire company

• Many reviews place internet and cell phone reimbursement as a benefit, it’s not. It is an amount paid to you so the company can utilize what is yours. I have been with the company for over 10 years and the amount reimbursed for cell phone has not increased .01 cent. Though in this time the world has gone from flip phones to smart phones and the company has many things they would like for you to place on your phone they are not paying anything extra for you to use your data and higher cost of smart phones

• Company Vehicle with allowance for spouse/domestic partner to use

• A strong “core” of products. This does not include the ever increasing product line extensions

• Schedule. Freedom to leave the field when need arises, Dr. Appointments, children’s activities, meeting repairman at your house, etc. Just be able to manage yourself to complete your work and there is no issue

There was once so much more that made this job appealing, unfortunately changes in the last 2 years have wiped those away. I don't believe we will see Susan (Ivey) Cameron come riding in to the rescue as she has in the past.

Cons

Cons Used to Only be Division Managers:

• Workload and Multiple Failed Product Launches- Everything that made this job appealing has been destroyed by the workload and brand launches over the past 1.5 years. The greatest part of this job was being a “Category Advisor”. We had the time and opportunity to work with owners and decision makers to improve the tobacco category through business discussions ranging from marketing of products to profit of the category. My owners would seek my opinion and put my thoughts into action in their store because of my relationship with them, even about competitive products. Now those relationships are dead. Multiple owners don’t talk to me (literally) because of the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in failed product launches and extensions over the past 12-18 months sitting on their shelves. Do you know what it is like to go to work every day and people are unhappy to see you? We have become Altria, the very people Senior Management would mock on the stage in Vegas. I can’t wait for 2019 in Vegas when the next survey results of what the C-Store industry thinks of RJR is revealed

• Division Managers- If I completed this survey 5 years ago this would have been the only con and this was a big enough con at that time that many good people left because of them. These people have been a con of this job my entire career. They bring NO value to the job or company. You either have a controlling micro-manager or perhaps you are lucky enough to have one that gives you the freedom and empowers you to make your own decisions and coaches you. The problem with the latter is their coaching is no longer applicable with the workload. None of them have a concept of what needs to be done on a day to day basis by a TM, none of them have ever managed this type of workload when they were TM’s. Worse yet they are the most scared individuals in the company. They are unwilling to do the right thing to bring issues to the attention of those above for fear someone will call them out and ask what they are doing to make improvements. The last thing they want is a spotlight put on them and someone to see how little they do

• Salary and Bonus Process- We are repeatedly told we are the top performing CPG company yet our pay is based on the 75th percentile of CPG companies. The expectations of an RJR TM with the workload vs. that of our competitors in the industry doesn’t match our salary.
    A few years ago the company started the line of “Pay for Performance” through the AIAP process yet there has been no change in the AIAP buckets and the process is so incredibly flawed no TM believes in the process and is always a bone of contention. In 2016 TM’s were flown to a class and given a “behind the curtain” review of the AIAP process by HR only to come home and told by entire Region Management Teams we didn’t understand what we were told

• Promotions- Some of the brightest minds and most talented individuals in understanding the category are Sr. TM’s who will never be given an opportunity to advance and help make the company successful because they are unwilling to pick-up their lives to move across the country. No, the pay increase to the next level is not worth giving up your home and life to move but if these people were considered when local openings come available we would start to fill our management ranks with the best, hardest working individuals that understand the category

Advice to Management

The moral and belief in the direction of the company is at the lowest point in all my years and continues to go lower.

The workload is not manageable and you seem to be fooling yourselves that we have the ability to fully utilize all the training we have been given or acknowledge you have killed our relationships in the industry due to line extensions. What took 10 years to build has been destroyed in about 15 months.

Has anyone noticed DM's and Sr. Directors are the only people in the field that has not seen an increase to their workload over the past 8-10 years? What are they doing differently now vs. prior to the merging of ASC, NAS, RJRV or the purchase of Lorillard? Why are there so many of them? They have been the source of so much job dissatisfaction for many years and producing nothing yet you continue to believe you can build them into what you have imagined. At some point you must change direction and cut your losses. Their job is to manage and build quality employees but yet invest less than half their time during a month with TM's.

Issues such as the AIAP process, promotions and DM's is nothing new. You have been advised of this many times in previous in-house surveys and yet you have failed to make any changes. Now people have hit their breaking point with the workload and are leaving the company. Failure to react will only hasten a poor culture and even higher turnover.