Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Reynolds American President and CEO Ricardo Oberlander
Ricardo Oberlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with a great work-life balance" (in 72 reviews)

• "Great benefits, car, vacation days more than many companies" (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • "At busy times work life/balance can become a pattern" (in 40 reviews)

• "It also seems like Regional management keeps good Territory Managers for convenience, rather than offering them promotions" (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Easton, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Easton, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An exciting time to be in the ever changing tobacco industry-constantly changing environment
    Working is never boring or repetitive - something new and different every day
    Make your own schedule/independent work
    Very good training programs
    Coaching environment where weaknesses can be turned into strengths
    High level of transparency
    Company car
    Employees treated well and cared about

Cons

Depending on who your manager is could change your experience with the company
    Sometimes initiatives can change too quickly and can feel that they didn't have enough time to take root

Advice to Management

Continue with a transparent and employee focus culture.

Oct 4, 2018

We are in a time of significant change and we’re glad you’re energized by the ride! Thank you for the advice, we intend to stay focused on making sure our employees feel like a valued part of our... More

2. "Sr. Manager in Trade Marketing"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Reynolds is the people and the culture. Reynolds American supports in employees and provides significant development opportunities that help people achieve their goals.

Cons

At times the work load can be a lot, but it fluctuates.

Oct 23, 2018

Thank you for devoting over 8 years of your career to Reynolds American Inc.! We all work together to nurture a supportive culture and a great workplace, and we’re delighted to hear how much you... More

"Going downhill"

Current Employee - TMIII in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - TMIII in Miami, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many pros to the job. Company car, great benefits, 401k match, flexible schedule. Fun place you work if you get a good manager.

Cons

There are also many cons, most which lie with the company and not the job itself. The number 1 complaint is no appreciation for tenured employees. They just announced a salary restructure which will pay a TMIII in that position for 1 day virtually the same as someone in the role for 10+ years. They know the older employees aren't going anywhere. Secondly, the peer rankings are based on geographical markets that are completely out of your control. If you are lucky enough to be placed in a good territory, you will be rewarded with higher raises and a bigger bonus.

Advice to Management

Take care of your tenured employees. New hires and retention of those new people is important, but don't place that above the happiness of your experienced team. The tenured employees is what keeps this company going and you have killed the morale. It's a tough pill to swallow that a kid just out of college is paid the same as you when you've given a company 10 to 20 years of your life.

"TM III HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY IT? UNDERPAID!!!"

Current Employee - TM III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - TM III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company car, 6% 401(k) Match, Depending on who your manager is Can be fun place to work with some great brands.

Cons

PAY PAY PAY! I really just don’t get it how it’s not seen or understood I know it’s littered throughout Glassdoor: We the expirenced TMs that drive initiatives, and drive profits are vastly underpaid especially versus competition. Yes this taking into account the new payment structure that was just recently announced. Workload has gotten ridiculous so many brands to manage and if you’re independent heavy, it’s multiplied exponentially. Zero promotion available if you are not able to uproot your life to anywhere.

Advice to Management

Please listen! You obviously knew we are underpaid it’s only been mentioned a thousand times. This new structure announced brings tenured TMs to the starting salary of Altria employees. And brings new TMs to the same pay as tenured TMs (Btw you can look at competitive salaries on this very website, it seems like that is not known). The workload does not match the pay, look at how many brands we handle vs the competition. 4 distinct cigarette brands, with ever changing prices, and their own foci. Vuse is 1 brand but how many product lines in that one brand? 4 with plans for more. 1 vapor line seems to be enough workload for our competition to make $20,000 more (ok after recent announcement they only make $10,000 more, but they get equity, car allowance, 401(k).. please look at Juuls Glassdoor reviews). Why do you think that turnover is so high? Btw the recent announcement I keep referencing: is to match 62% of similar companies. We are the #1 tobacco company in the world with the largest workload of any CPG, yet 38% of companies pay more.. CE quotas with name gen, vertical alignment, non-stop merchandising (without assistance) that takes a physical toll, monthly coverage that puts intense hours in the car, admin expected to be done on your own time, covering up for failed launches (talking about you platinum, we had menthol gold and smooth select those were good so let’s do another? That makes sense) to name a few. 1 piece of advice please actually read and address the critical reviews on here instead of only addressing positive reviews posted on here. You know it we know it.. everybody knows it, even after this announcement we are still under paid vs competition. No reason we should make the same as ITG, and less than Juul and Altria by so much.. otherwise we will also have to continue to add vacant coverage as another responsibility.

"Unappreciated and undervalued over the years"

Current Employee - TM III
    Current Employee - TM III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

5 weeks of vacation
    6% 401K match
    Health benefits pretty standard
    Can have flexibility depending on your manager
    Usually not a need to bring a lot of work home for after hours

Cons

I’ve been a territory manager for over 10 years and the role has drastically changed. I don’t mind change because it keeps things from getting mundane and boring. However, with more responsibilities it would be nice to be appreciated and valued as an employee of the company. I currently work in a territory with over 150 contracted accounts while other reps have 80. The workload is very unbalanced as you can see. I’ve seen the company through many brand acquisitions, brand launches, failed attempts at new products and constant change of strategy. Again, the change keeps it interesting but the work load over 10 years has more than tripled and compensation has not. In fact, recent salary structure changes are rewarding those TMs who have been with the company for just a few years rather than the loyal employees who have been a large contributor of the success of several brand launches and acquisitions. That is so disheartening and frustrating. Your day to day happiness will truly depend on your direct manager and region management. No chance of promotion unless you’re willing to relocate just about anywhere. There are several people in management who have no clue how to motivate and lead their people and have created a cut throat environment.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging strategy in individual outlets. That is what you are paying me to do. Show your appreciation by taking us for a team building event or region meeting once or twice a year like you used to. Seems like the sole focus is keeping management happy instead of those in the trenches on a day to day basis. Compensate those who have been around longer and contributed to the profitability and success of new brand introductions.

"Senior Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company culture has improved dramatically with new executive leadership.

Cons

Evaluating performance is too subjective. Still some "not good" people being promoted that should not be managing people.

Advice to Management

Abolish performance panels.

"Territory Manager III (12 years)"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Autonomy
    Limited Stress associated with work load
    Abundance of resources needed to be a successful Sales Manager

Cons

Reactive. Although we may be the innovative leader within the industry our culture still reacts like a start up company. Often Bullied by competiton we do not operate like #1.

To much power concentrated at the Division Manager level. A make or brake mentality. If your work rapport with Senior Management has been damaged your upward mobility is over.

Good Ole Boys network. The selected few will gain advantages others are never given.

Separate rules for different people.

The company is more interested in attracting new hires than addressing the concerns of tenure associates .

Salaries are not competitive when compared to our competition. (Conduct your own research)

Advice to Management

You wouldn't listen if we told you.. Many have dedicated their lives to the company and continue to feel under appreiated . Feeling disrespected is an understatement.

8. "Great Company that Invests in People"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management is flexble with coaching, driving a challenging and comfortable development environment.
    Benefits
    Company vehicle
    Great pay
    Consistent Bonus Potential
    Smart Leadership
    A chance to make an impact

Cons

A challenging regulatory environment, but for the right reasons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Great culture

9. "Continues to strive to innovative and grow their talent"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Training and open communication with management.

Cons

Shifting business can make it hard to keep to a plan.

"One of the best companies to work for in sales"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary with opportunity for potential higher bonus based on performance rating.
    Schedule flexibility during the day to run errands or flex hours.
    Opportunity to “be your own boss” and make your own decisions.
    You’re never stuck in an office at retail- occasional meetings.
    The company treats you well - company car with free gas, ($150/Month deducted out of check which used to be nothing), cell phone and WiFi allowance, laptop, AMEX for travel expenses.
    Matched 401k, 80% tuition reimbursement- used to be 100%)
    Merit increase every year
    Bonus every year based on AIAP score

Cons

Must be okay with going to convenience stores all day
    Division managers make or break your work/life balance and general happiness with the job.
    Driving alone most of the day- division is not together unless at meetings. But communication is encouraged.
    Performance rating is based on your DM and his peers and their general opinion of you. If your DM does not like you then you will not get a good rating/bonus.
    Succession candidates are encouraged to open their mobility to anywhere for more opportunity.
    Mobility is necessary if you want to move up in the company.
    Peer rankings are based off numbers you are not able to change
    Territories can have different levels of work - more independents mean more effort. More accounts than it’s easier. You may get a “bad” territory and get stuck there.

Advice to Management

Division managers have not had any type of change in their job role in the past 10 years. Meanwhile, territory managers and even account managers have had 4-5 shifts in job roles. The biggest issue currently with territory managers is that more responsibility is being placed on them while there is no increase in pay. Competitors are paying more and stealing TMs with a bad DM, territory, no mobility, etc. My suggestion would be to update the division manager role so they have more Territory managers. Most of the time their month is filled with 10-12 days of admin. Territory managers have plenty of admin but are expected to be in stores all day. Also we understand and embrace change. However, with more brands purchased, sales forces merged, constant vapor, cigarette and smokeless resets, consumer engagement quota with name gen percentages, coverage, less third party involvement, etc ... territory managers would like some kind of acknowledgment via money. We would love a base salary raise for TENURED TMIII of at least $10,000 to make up for the extra work that has piled on the past few years.

Oct 12, 2018

We are tremendously grateful to you for taking the time to share such thoughtful and thorough feedback and advice. Our teams take the input offered on Glassdoor seriously, and your suggestions are... More