Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Reynolds American President and CEO Ricardo Oberlander
Ricardo Oberlander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible with a great work-life balance" (in 62 reviews)

• "Great benefits, car, vacation days more than many companies" (in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • "At busy times work life/balance can become a pattern" (in 36 reviews)

• "Yes, I did interact with a couple of unhappy Territory Managers (TM's)" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Easton, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Easton, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An exciting time to be in the ever changing tobacco industry-constantly changing environment
    Working is never boring or repetitive - something new and different every day
    Make your own schedule/independent work
    Very good training programs
    Coaching environment where weaknesses can be turned into strengths
    High level of transparency
    Company car
    Employees treated well and cared about

Cons

Depending on who your manager is could change your experience with the company
    Sometimes initiatives can change too quickly and can feel that they didn't have enough time to take root

Advice to Management

Continue with a transparent and employee focus culture.

Oct 4, 2018

We are in a time of significant change and we’re glad you’re energized by the ride! Thank you for the advice, we intend to stay focused on making sure our employees feel like a valued part of our... More

2. "Sr. Manager in Trade Marketing"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at Reynolds is the people and the culture. Reynolds American supports in employees and provides significant development opportunities that help people achieve their goals.

Cons

At times the work load can be a lot, but it fluctuates.

"One of the best companies to work for in sales"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary with opportunity for potential higher bonus based on performance rating.
    Schedule flexibility during the day to run errands or flex hours.
    Opportunity to “be your own boss” and make your own decisions.
    You’re never stuck in an office at retail- occasional meetings.
    The company treats you well - company car with free gas, ($150/Month deducted out of check which used to be nothing), cell phone and WiFi allowance, laptop, AMEX for travel expenses.
    Matched 401k, 80% tuition reimbursement- used to be 100%)
    Merit increase every year
    Bonus every year based on AIAP score

Cons

Must be okay with going to convenience stores all day
    Division managers make or break your work/life balance and general happiness with the job.
    Driving alone most of the day- division is not together unless at meetings. But communication is encouraged.
    Performance rating is based on your DM and his peers and their general opinion of you. If your DM does not like you then you will not get a good rating/bonus.
    Succession candidates are encouraged to open their mobility to anywhere for more opportunity.
    Mobility is necessary if you want to move up in the company.
    Peer rankings are based off numbers you are not able to change
    Territories can have different levels of work - more independents mean more effort. More accounts than it’s easier. You may get a “bad” territory and get stuck there.

Advice to Management

Division managers have not had any type of change in their job role in the past 10 years. Meanwhile, territory managers and even account managers have had 4-5 shifts in job roles. The biggest issue currently with territory managers is that more responsibility is being placed on them while there is no increase in pay. Competitors are paying more and stealing TMs with a bad DM, territory, no mobility, etc. My suggestion would be to update the division manager role so they have more Territory managers. Most of the time their month is filled with 10-12 days of admin. Territory managers have plenty of admin but are expected to be in stores all day. Also we understand and embrace change. However, with more brands purchased, sales forces merged, constant vapor, cigarette and smokeless resets, consumer engagement quota with name gen percentages, coverage, less third party involvement, etc ... territory managers would like some kind of acknowledgment via money. We would love a base salary raise for TENURED TMIII of at least $10,000 to make up for the extra work that has piled on the past few years.

Oct 12, 2018

We are tremendously grateful to you for taking the time to share such thoughtful and thorough feedback and advice. Our teams take the input offered on Glassdoor seriously, and your suggestions are... More

"Great Company with long term hangups"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Culture
       •"At the end of the day it's just cigarettes" I've never felt like there was a true work emergency. As long as you're a self starter with time management skills, completing task on time are not an issue.
     • Mistakes are taken as coaching opportunities. So even if something is done wrong, its just a learning opportunity.

-Great Bennefits
       • Company SUV that can be used for personal use
       • 6% 401K Match +3% enhancement
       •85% tuition reimbursement
       • 17 vacation days starting + unlimited personal /sick days starting

Cons

-Reynolds is a great company. But people are starting to see it as a resume builder. The pipeline in trade marketing is getting clogged so people aren't moving up. This isn't a need for instant gratification, it's a need for opportunity.

- Our largest competitors starting salaries are $10K higher than ours, and one of them only has one product.

Advice to Management

- Restructure the management team past TM level. We see the announcements of new management roles at home office, but nothing is being created for the field. People are stuck at the TM3 level and becoming burnt out on being on succession but never having opportunity.

- As we continue to add more SKUs, and launch new initiatives on top of what we already have, show the people on the frontline that our extra effort is valuable. Between product recalls and discontinuation, many people are discouraged that all of our extra efforts won't be shown in bonuses.

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Work Life Balance
    Solid Pay Structure - Yearly Bonus ( Although it is low for the industry)
    Amazing Benefits
    Not worried about the future of this strong company even with the industry
    Home Office Training is Top Notch compared to most sales companies

Cons

When in the Trade, in order to get promoted, you have one track up. It is extremely congested right now so not much upward movement. The job is pretty repetitive every day so you can get bored pretty quickly if you are looking for a challenge.
    Lots of Busy work with this big portfolio so don't think its a breeze every day. It can get overwhelming with the amount of tasks that have to be completed on a deadline.

Advice to Management

Remember Trade Marketing is what makes the Reynold's world go 'round. We can only do so many tasks at one time.
    Also, if becoming an AM is the only way to move up. Start cleaning house on the AMs that are sitting ducks tying up those positions. You will continue to lose top talent with false hope.

Oct 4, 2018

You are correct, trade marketing is invaluable to our success and we appreciate your work, and that of the entire team!

6. "Territory manager"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Work life Balance

Cons

Tobacco kills. Hard to sell that sometimes

Oct 12, 2018

Tobacco is indeed a challenging industry. We’re working to transform this industry in a positive way, and we’re grateful that you’ve joined us on that journey.

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Independence... You have a lot of freedom. It is up to you, to make yourself and your Territory successful.

Benefits... The benefits are great and have continued to be, threw out my tenor with the company. Our company cars are also very nice, and a bonus is paid out every February.

Work Life Balance... This is mostly dependent on your boss, but I have been lucky to have Division Managers that are not Micro Managers, and trust that I will implement company strategies and use my time wisely.

Cons

Pay... Starting Salary for Territory Managers is low compared to competition. However, as long as your performance isn’t lacking, you can get promoted to Territory Manager II and III rather quickly.

Time Management... If you are not organized, and have a hard time managing several objectives at once, this job is not for you.

Oct 4, 2018

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and thank you for being a part of the company for over 10 years!

8. "TMIII"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reward & Recognize, sales development, and work life balance

Cons

Relocation for promotion, high turnover as of late, and stock price is far from what it was pre BAT merger.

Oct 12, 2018

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts with us!

"Territory Manager II-Overworked and Underpaid"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Car
    Gas Card
    Some Flexibility
    Company Trips

If you have a understanding and organized Manager the job will still be tiring but tolerable at times.

Cons

Be prepared to be overworked. This job has turned into a merchandiser job. Lots of running around and building displays. Lots of wear and tear on your body. Some management are all about themselves and less about the people. I have seen micromanagement and that makes the job impossible and miserable. The pay does not match the work load especially for the east, north, and west. Our rent takes up most of our check not making for a comfortable personal lifestyle.

Advice to Management

We are tired! Imagine building displays all day, as well as taking care of our regular accounts, and driving all day. We are answering emails, running reports, and putting out all the fires from all the failed product launches. If your people are doing their job leave them alone. Coach them and help them be more successful. Some of us don’t trust management and morale is down. Let the people have some flexibility and time to rest our wearing bodies. We are tired! Pay us more! Other companies in this industry do less work and get paid thousands of dollars more. This is unacceptable! Do better

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlantic Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlantic Beach, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to launch your career and learn the ins and outs of consumer packaged goods marketing. Job provides flexibility and work/life balance for people that know how to manage it. Vacation benefits grow with tenure. Very secure industry to be in. There are growth opportunities for people who are qualified and mobile. Benefits are on par with industry.

Cons

The workload piles up the heaviest at the bottom of the hill. The territory manager is at the bottom of the hill. They pay does not match the workload. Happiness in this role is heavily correlated to the manager you work for and can be a pro or con.

Advice to Management

Being dynamic and adapting to market conditions are in the core values of the organization. The company is very quick to change things externally but very slow when it comes to internal evaluations. Expectations have done nothing but increase year over year for the territory manager. And compensation increases have not even kept up with the inflation rate.

Another area of observation:
    This is a marketing organization that calls itself field trade marketing. Yet all it wants to do is be a sales force. However, it can't get out of its own way doing marketing all the time.