Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 23 reviews)

1. "Good work for self-motivated, organized people"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Decent pay straight out of college with room for advancement if you are able to relocate
    17 days paid vacation to start
    6% (match) + 3% 401k contribution by employer
    you pay $150/month and have company car with paid gas, insurance, maintenance. Unlimited personal use.
    Ability to earn Hotel/airline points if you are in a position that requires travel
    Generous per diem while travelling (& you'll never have to stay at a best western)
    Flexible Schedule
    Plenty of training provided
    Fast-Paced results driven work environment
    Great teammates and mentors within the organization
    Annual Bonus
    Good pay once you are a manager or have 3+ years
    Strong Portfolio, positive outlook

Cons

Some positions require travel (10-90%)
    Advancement opportunities are limited if you are not able to relocate
    Collaboration can be difficult because you do not see your coworkers often
    Stigma attached to the tobacco industry
    There are a lot of demands on your time, many weeks can be over 40 hours, especially in a management role
    Endless pipeline of new initiatives coming at you
    Advancement requires visibility to managers, which can take some time
    Managers can be inconsistent

Advice to Management

More transparency on the "Why" behind decisions and new initiatives
    Strive for consistency in processes from region to region and sales area to sales area
    Ask for input from field, and if you ask for input, use it

2. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Reynolds American (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Great benefits (matching 401K 6%, company car with everything taken care of, great training, flexible) good exposure

Cons

To be blunt, Reynolds focuses on promoting diversity candidates who may be unqualified - which can lead to poor upper management credibility.

"Territory Manager 2"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers are the best thing about this job. I've never met anyone in the TM role that I didn't like. There is also great benefits like a company car. The job itself is very easy and you get paid well enough for it.

Cons

There are several.
    1. CEs are a little degrading, I mean I didn't get a college degree to pass out coupons.
    2. You have to relocate to get this job and most of the time it's to a place where you know no one and you work alone. So it can be a lonely job.
    3. The bonus program makes little, to no sense.
    4. The job is very repetitive. Management likes to think we are having high level business discussions every store visit. But in reality, most store visits are just merchandising.
    5. You office is a convenience store.

Advice to Management

Get the brand teams aligned with each other. Every brand team wants to push a new initiative just because another brand did. This makes people in the field miserable.

"Key Account Manager of a Beverage Distributor"

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- car for personal use and work, saves a lot of money for most folks
    - the insurance is good, lots of helplines to assist health needs, very progressive in a good way
    - you do get a annual bonus which is great
    - tuition reimbursement and great 401k package
    - the people are great(most of the time) in terms of FIELD trade marketing

Cons

Here is the issue, and it's no secret (as you can see from
    Recent reviews) the workload out of control, especially for TM's which are now exploited.

The company has reached the point of the notorious "pay not equaling workload." You can load the field up with tasks.... but you HAVE to raise pay... it's not hard to understand.

If you are young.. this company is at best a <5 year type setup.. while seasoned folks like myself are waiting on a buyout.

Advice to Management

For god sake..be realistic with field expectations...morale is the lowest I've seen in over 10 years. WAKE UP.

****If this is a "high performing culture" you need to pay like it is*****

"...Never Been So Stressed"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work at this company are amazing, we really do have best in class. The training and development is great---if you have a Manager who has an interest in helping to advance your career, you have it made. Car is a great benefit, flexibility of hours and work environment (no cubes!) is great.

Cons

Workload is out of control. Home office is completely out of touch with what is going on in the field. They keep piling on work with no concern for what is currently going on or initiatives. There has been a lot of start, stop, hurry, wait, and change of direction this year which is causing additional disruption on top of an overall hectic, all-time busiest year on record. Our buyers and customers are frustrated with the amount of launches and new products this year; we need to give them room to breathe and a chance to get used to some of our new brands. We've been focusing on speed to market and not any well-thought out launch plans, making us seem like some of our competitors who we've always mocked. Morale is at an all time low and there doesn't seem to be an end to this madness in sight. We are in danger of losing talented, hard-working people because of burnout and low compensation.

Advice to Management

Reward your people for their work. Pay them according to industry standards and for the increased workload. What you're doing isn't fair to your employees and is making you seem like you don't care about the well-being of anyone who works for you. We are exhausted.

6. "....."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Upper management is great, down to earth and approachable.

Vacation, 401k, other benefits are wonderful.

Nice bonus program.

Work from home is a lot of the positions.

Innovative company.

Cons

Multiple initiatives all at once, limited advance notice so execution is very challenging.

Company boasts talent development and coaching, but that's not what happens often.

Work life balance exists only for territory managers.

Lower level managers looking for advancement are ruthless, be prepared to be beat down.

Advice to Management

Make senior managers go through 360 reviews more often, there needs to be more self awareness.

7. "Job Review"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great work environment and structural alignment. Tons of advancement opportunities

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Remember the challenges we face out in market versus how they sound on paper

"Territory Manager I =Got Stress?"

Former Employee - Territory Manager I
    Former Employee - Territory Manager I

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Car for personal Use
    - Decent place to start career
    - Training Seminars Are very good
    - Not a bad company for the CPG industry
    - insurance is great

Cons

- Stress is unvelievablel for territory managers... more and more tasks for the same pay? Come on...be serious.
    - CE's are out of control with expectations.. it's become kind of a joke now and part of the reason I left.
    - The moving around to get promoted thing is outdated guys... people will just leave and find a better job.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Look at these reviews and how they are trending.. I am a small example of more to come... I left and found a higher paying job with 1/8 the stress and without the unrealistic workload and didn't have to change my entire life to do it.

Also... stop calling yourself a sales company when you launch >5 brands in a year.... it's all tasks... not sales.. sales pays commissions and doesn't revolve around a room where people talk about cool stuff ya did last year and rate you.

"It Depends"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, the working environment is positive, and the majority of your co-workers are intelligent, engaging, and dynamic individuals

Cons

The Director and up level is hard to crack. The company branding is a vision of a work place where effort , performance, and intelligence will move you forward. Unfortunately Directors and up are long time employees - many having never worked any place else - therefore they are uncomfortable with change. It has become apparent that the top performing individuals are not moving up. The promotions are going to those who support the status quo and have very placid personalities.

Advice to Management

Promote people who are smarter than you, who challenge you, and sometimes make you uncomfortable. These are the people who will ensure that the company continues to be successful during the challenging times ahead. Promoting those that mirror your own ideas and personalities is sacrificing the organizations future.

"Territory manager 3"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

What most have said-good perks and salary, especially after a few years.

Cons

Consumer engagements are getting out of control. Ce's are when you engage consumers buying a tobacco product in an attempt to get them to try one of yours by selling them on it and then discounting it through a coupon. CE's were once my favorite part of the job! It was a way to chat with customers and break away from the mundane executional responsibilities. In addition, I believe in most of our products and enjoyed providing customers with a better product while making a tangible sale. Now, I have prayed to every God and cult leader that our ability to perform CE's will be revoked so that I can get back to work.

Imagine your favorite thing about your job. Then imagine your boss becomes completely obsessed with that thing and humps your leg 8 hours a day trying to get you to do it more, and more, and more. Your love of that thing would turn to loathing. The goal is 1000 coupons per TM. Most managers and directors are pushing everyone to double it through fake smiles and forced enthusiasm. Why? So directors have bragging rights? 1000 is MORE than enough. It's sickening. To boot, most of management is baffled that these pushes are causing bad behaviors by tm's to inflate their numbers. The Houston region might as well be renamed "perfunctory ce contest region".

Conversations with my coworkers all over the country reveal that this attitude is widespread. Everyone is hoping someone will do something stupid during a CE on purpose so that we can't do them in stores anymore. That person would immediately become the saviour of all TM's. Like a real life RJR Bill Braskey.

Advice to Management

It won't matter, nothing grows volume and market share like buying your own.