Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

1.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 27 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Mistreating Loyal Employees Since 2016"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was once a great place to work. It always had its drawbacks but now all the upside is in the past.

Cons

The company has abandoned the field. It's become clear that a dramatic restructuring in looming. Field employees have become the whipping boys of the company. Customers who once appreciated our programs are becoming incredibly dissatisfied and taking their frustrations out on TM's, AM's and DM's. The company asks for more and delivers less. We are responsible for trying to clean up home office's mess while trying to move the needle. Putting out fires is now 80% of the field's job.

Advice to Management

This seems intentional advice won't help

"What Happened?"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k match is very good and you do get a cell phone/internet and car perk...company does spend money on brands etc.

You get to go to vegas almost every 4-5 years

Cons

The exploitation of the field is absolutely shocking and started roughly around 2016... then 2017 has been a complete stress bomb!

The company just doesn't get it, they talk and talk how valuable and "1 of a kind" we are with high performing culture blah blah blah.... yet base pay is low (I mean lowwww) compared to the workload now, to the point it's almost insulting. Example: you have to work about 3 years to get to the minimum of an Altria rep... it's not even close.

Please, it's just not worth it anymore.

It's become laughable.

Advice to Management

Look at the turnover and what is happening...you think the field doesn't know what is coming?

"Terrible Culture"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and occasional Vegas trips.
    The culture might eventually improve.
    New GMC every few years for $150.
    401K match is better than most.

Cons

Culture has become worst I've ever seen. Fear and micromanagement. Crazy workload that never stops. No raises or promotions. More turnover than the convenience stores we visit.

Advice to Management

At least pretend to care about your employees. The entire field is miserable. This review is not only my thoughts but everyone I have spoken with.

"The New Norm"

Current Employee - TMIII in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - TMIII in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

150$ monthly fee for unlimited mileage car (however this perk isn't keeping as many people around as in the old days)

Health insurance and vision are good, personal days are allowed also... the company is great with this kind of stuff... 401k match etc. as well.

Cons

- work is about 4x what it used to be (2015)... while base pay sees no increase. Management needs to realize TM's are noticing this....all of em' almost at this point after this nightmare year of 2017.

- the brand launches are at the point of being mindless now... and face the music guys... these "new" brands are struggling, seriously just stop.

-the enormous stress and weekly fire drill initiatives are getting old for a lot of people, enough is enough.

Advice to Management

The turnover is high, and you can see why from these reviews on this website.

"Not What You Want Now"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and Car are nice along with training programs. I was a TM for a few years and some of the people I worked with were nice and always helpful

Cons

You work so hard and finally get promoted to account manager.. some TM's wait YEARS for this...very discouraging. Once you get the promotion, you feel empty and living in a random part of the United States with a minor at best pay increase. Sure enough... you have to wait for the next promotion... living isolated and waiting to change your life (again).

Advice to Management

Expand the TM role into a career spot and blend it with AM with commissions etc. and the field base salary levels have to move up, it's almost embarrassing.

"CE Madness"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are able to work freely and to some extent make your own decisions in outlets. Expense account is allowed

Cons

The CE stuff is completely off the rails... we have to take endless training (and frivolous changes)all while being terrified of not doing the correct "protocol"... while of course being degraded talking to scummy people.

This year we are forced to do over 1000 coupon engagements.... it's madness and 90% of the TM's absolutely can't stand it...but are terrified of feedback surveys because we all know what those really are.

Advice to Management

The field hates their life.

"Now a Joke"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Phone and Internet allowance Along with car... you get to move around a lot during the day so you are not in a cubicle which is appealing.

The 401k match is good

Cons

Where do I start.. the last year has been a free fall disaster with moral at an all time low.

I don't know what is more sad... the fields moral and company direction? Or the management refusal to see?or worse... ignore it which seems to be the case.

Pay,workload,work environment (dangerous retail), micromanagement.. I can go on... I think the other reviews say enough on here.

Advice to Management

Should of Just sold to PM... because you turned into them.... but even worse because you pay in peanuts.

"Complete disappointment every year"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company car, home office, internet and cell phone allowance. Great people especially the older folks. Great sales training. Company paid Vegas trip every couple of years.

Cons

Ever increasing workload, no long term strategy, promotions based on politics, always reactive to competition instead of following own plans and strategy.

Advice to Management

Reduce workload or increase base pay. You have combined brands and companies over the years and currently the TM does a job that used to be done by 4 different TMs in the past. How about increasing 4 times the base pay?? In addition when gas prices were $5 bucks a gallon you used it as excuse to raise the monthly car fee, why not lower it now considering gas prices went down?

"Garbage company"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in New York, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't really think of too many... this is one of the most mundane jobs I have ever had. Getting paid holidays off is nice but nothing that no other company doesn't do.

Cons

Very corporate like atmosphere that carries more about numbers than personnel and their wellbeing. Management loves carrying their contracts into accounts like a hammer and ready to swing it at store owners for noncompliance. They then leave you to clean up the mess on the subsequent visit.

Senior level management need to gain an understanding of what's happening in the streets with TMs. Too many tasks for one person to complete in one given day!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue and understanding of what's going on with the morale of Territory Managers cause it's not good!

"lack of transparency and ritualistic behaviors for mangement"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

use of money to kill virtues

Cons

demonic sects in managements.
    No transparency and a very secretive place
    Ritualistic behaviors.
    no work and life balance
    sect-like behaviors,if you are in then you are bad

Advice to Management

Be more honest
    leave out sects from work