Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

2.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 23 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Used to love it here....not so much anymore."

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are great - some of the best I've ever experienced as far as people go. I haven't met a single person here I didn't get along with. You get great benefits - company car (all expenses paid), great 401k plan, a fairly generous vacation package, the annual bonus, ect.

This isn't a job where you're doing the same thing every day, or going to the same office every day. I highly recommend if you are not motivated, self-starting, and goal oriented - probably not the best fit for you.

Much of your time is spent dealing with retailers who either don't have the time for you, or are just miserable to deal with.

Cons

Honestly - stay away.

The past two years have been absolutely absurd in terms of workload, and it's gotten incredibly worse over the past year. The amount of new products that have been launched in the last calendar year alone is ridiculous.

At some point, we went to this whole "speed to market" plan with product launches. You know what the problem is with that? You get zero time to actually drive the product, or launch it appropriately. It's gotten to the point where retailers are frustrated. We used to strive to be the "category advisor" in each store - now all we're doing is jamming new product down their throats every couple months. It's incredibly discouraging considering a lot of the new products are NOT selling at retail as they anticipated.

We've been on a path to "market leadership", and we've mocked every competitor along the way. We've become the new Altria, a company we've been working so hard to distinguish ourselves from. We've sold that story to retailers - now we're talking out of both sides of our mouths.

Advice to Management

Home office is completely out of touch with reality in terms of their expectations and what is on all of our plates. Territory Managers are exploited in their role, and aren't compensated enough. You get the executives standing on the stage of Vegas telling us how important we all are - you want a "high performing culture"? I advise you to pay up Reynolds - you're in serious danger of losing a lot of talented people.

Managers are blind. Wake up and realize the morale levels here are low. No TM's I talk to are happy with where we're at, or where we're heading.

"Going Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, company car, 401k match

Cons

The TM role has quadrupled in workload without any increase in pay or modified expectations. The job will cause huge amounts of stress for anyone who takes pride in their work. It's impossible to complete all initiatives and more are pushed down every week. Turn-over is so high that you end up being responsible for vacant territories as well as your own. Almost zero chance of career progression.

Advice to Management

Treat employees the way you did a few years ago.

"Key Account Manager of a Beverage Distributor"

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- car for personal use and work, saves a lot of money for most folks
    - the insurance is good, lots of helplines to assist health needs, very progressive in a good way
    - you do get a annual bonus which is great
    - tuition reimbursement and great 401k package
    - the people are great(most of the time) in terms of FIELD trade marketing

Cons

Here is the issue, and it's no secret (as you can see from
    Recent reviews) the workload out of control, especially for TM's which are now exploited.

The company has reached the point of the notorious "pay not equaling workload." You can load the field up with tasks.... but you HAVE to raise pay... it's not hard to understand.

If you are young.. this company is at best a <5 year type setup.. while seasoned folks like myself are waiting on a buyout.

Advice to Management

For god sake..be realistic with field expectations...morale is the lowest I've seen in over 10 years. WAKE UP.

****If this is a "high performing culture" you need to pay like it is*****

"...Never Been So Stressed"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work at this company are amazing, we really do have best in class. The training and development is great---if you have a Manager who has an interest in helping to advance your career, you have it made. Car is a great benefit, flexibility of hours and work environment (no cubes!) is great.

Cons

Workload is out of control. Home office is completely out of touch with what is going on in the field. They keep piling on work with no concern for what is currently going on or initiatives. There has been a lot of start, stop, hurry, wait, and change of direction this year which is causing additional disruption on top of an overall hectic, all-time busiest year on record. Our buyers and customers are frustrated with the amount of launches and new products this year; we need to give them room to breathe and a chance to get used to some of our new brands. We've been focusing on speed to market and not any well-thought out launch plans, making us seem like some of our competitors who we've always mocked. Morale is at an all time low and there doesn't seem to be an end to this madness in sight. We are in danger of losing talented, hard-working people because of burnout and low compensation.

Advice to Management

Reward your people for their work. Pay them according to industry standards and for the increased workload. What you're doing isn't fair to your employees and is making you seem like you don't care about the well-being of anyone who works for you. We are exhausted.

""Who's your DM?""

Pros

>Great sales training
    >Learning something new everyday
    >Company has no problem spending

Cons

>Everything is a weekly firedrill
    >Reactivate to competition...throws of planning
    >Snitch culture

Advice to Management

None the industry is dying.

"Company Culture of fear instilled by your boss from the top on down"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good benefits including insurance and car. Also, the end of the year bonus is based on how the company does as a whole so if you don't like to work hard but still reap the rewards of others, then this is right up your alley.

Cons

Where to begin...1.) The people in Home Office including the Brand teams are so far removed from the actual daily things that go on in the field, it is destroying the business. Case in point- EDRP. Not only were competitive consumers purchasing VAP because of the sale price, our loyal consumers were purchasing multiple packs. This is no longer the case so we are losing SOM and somehow this decline in volume is the TM's fault? I thought that we would have learned from the Vuse launch in CO vs. National that one size does not fit all.
    2.) Being "trusted category advisors" with our retailers, are we really looking out for their best interest by having them take in 18 new styles of cigarettes from January through July? This may work for chains with deep pockets but what about the little guys? Freedom of informed decisions, huh?
    3.) The reason this is on here is because there is no company system to offer feedback or suggestions. Too many ego's in Home Office that think they know what is best.

Advice to Management

We used to bash our competition yet we are following right in their footsteps. Employees are frustrated with so many initiatives going on. We need to stop trying to fix all the things that are not broke within the company. Exploit the strengths in each market rather than approaching it with a one size fits all mentality. Lastly, stand behind your open and honest communication that is continuously preached but never lived up to.

"Smoke and mirrors"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From the outside it looks like there doing the right thing, benefits are a positive and rarely do they fire anyone

Cons

Values and culture are misguided, very political environment, middle to higher management is driven solely by self interests while the organization does not really believe in their transformational vision

Advice to Management

Replace middle management who have no idea what leadership is

"Core values are bullox"

Pros

Nice benefit package. People take early retirement and later return as consultants.

Cons

Promotions are based on personality and not on merit, knowledge or skill level

Advice to Management

Don't hire your friends unless they have the knowledge and skills to do the job. You can't train aptitude. You either have it or you don't.

9. "honest opinion"

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay and benefits are good.

Cons

managers do not listen to employees.

Advice to Management

actions speak louder than words. some need to retire. do not live in the past. times have changed.

10. "Contractor"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work on my project. Some people have signed up for a 6-month contact and stayed on for several years.

Cons

Security cameras everywhere; badge in at every door, every turn (or so it seems)