Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

5.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 30 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ignore the Negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As mentioned in many prior reviews, the benefits are superb. The company is constantly on the edge of it's seat finding and thinking of new ways to take care of it's employees.

> Company Car - GMC Terrain ($150 is taken out of every other check to cover expenses. All servicing, fuel and anything else related to the vehicle is covered.
    > Cell phone and at-home Internet service allowance.
    > Company electronic devices including and at-home monitor and accessories for employee office.
    > Covered moving expenses for new-hires and promotions
    > and the list goes on...

Another big benefit is the support and guidance to help progress your career in the right direction. The company firmly believes in educating and providing the right resources to raise the bar of it's employees.

You also have the autonomy to manage your own territory while striving to achieve the company goals. With that being said, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck 5 days a week. In my personal experience, my supervisor trusts my business decisions and gives me the support I need, when I need it. That type of work environment is priceless to me and has truly allowed me to evolve into a more responsible, business-minded individual.

Cons

I titled this review , "Ignore the Negativity" due to the extensive amount of biased reviews that have rolled in over the past few months. Yes, it's no lie, we have had a busy year, but also quite the successful year. Additionally, the company provides us with multiple resources to help with the work load such as 3rd party merchandising support and identifying marketplace opportunities which helps take some of the load off.

To put it in perspective, the work of what was done by 4 reps, have been combined into one. Sounds daunting Right? Well before we jump to conclusion, our company has reduced the size of our assignments giving us the opportunity to visit our important accounts more frequently and for longer timeframes. In the past, one TM might have 250 stores while managing the brand's for 1 company, now that same TM has approx 100 stores managing all which means less drive time, more of a condensed impact and less stress. Work-life balance is a huge point for the company and I assure you, they will continue to find ways to best optimize this lifestyle.

In regards to promotions, yes they are rare. But not everyone can get promoted Right? The trick here is do your best and the best will come.

Advice to Management

It is our people that make our brands special and strong. Continue to put the employees first and we will continue to make the magic happen! In order to be more competitive, the pay structure needs to be revisited. There is about a 15k gap between our largest competitor for the TM role.

2. "Great Company, after almost 30 years still one of the best decisions I have ever made"

Current Employee - Division Manager
    Current Employee - Division Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security - you control your destiny by what you deliver in results. Management cares about work life balance. One of the most fair minded companies you will ever find - for all of the reviews complaining about work load what they don't tell you is that over the last very busy year, employees also received a double bonus as compensation! They don't mention that we often receive more than 100% of our target bonuses and they also don't mention the break free Fridays for the long summer weekends and various other nice things the company does to reward employees

Cons

Can't really think of downsides, this is a job though where you work hard every day all day, so if someone is looking for a laid back kind of job with a slower more predictable pace this probably isn't it

Advice to Management

Continue to do those things that recognize, acknowledge and reward good performance

3. "Great company"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people. Challenging work, but rewarding. Employee engagement is important to Executive Management...and it permeates through organization.

Cons

Workload can get heavy at times, but upper level management understands this and works to ensure work-life balance is a priority.

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Clear vision and strategy. Great culture. Competitive compensation and benefits. Strong commitment to employee learning and development. Challenging work.

Cons

The pace of change is constant. Some may be challenged by that. Others will thrive.

5. "Very Rewarding!!!"

Current Employee - TMIII
    Current Employee - TMIII

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay! Benefits! Family Culture! Challenging, but equally rewarding throughout the year. It’s great to grow with in an environment that encourages teamwork.

Cons

Can’t think of any. Have been a TM for 10 years, and the changes that have been made over that period of time have been noticed.

Advice to Management

Continue delivering top notch coaching at all levels as well as the very valuable training that you provide constantly!

6. "TM"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great Management, Terrific Culture and Co-Workers!

Cons

None - This Is A Great Company To Work For!

Advice to Management

Keep Doing What You Are Doing!

7. "Good work for self-motivated, organized people"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Decent pay straight out of college with room for advancement if you are able to relocate
    17 days paid vacation to start
    6% (match) + 3% 401k contribution by employer
    you pay $150/month and have company car with paid gas, insurance, maintenance. Unlimited personal use.
    Ability to earn Hotel/airline points if you are in a position that requires travel
    Generous per diem while travelling (& you'll never have to stay at a best western)
    Flexible Schedule
    Plenty of training provided
    Fast-Paced results driven work environment
    Great teammates and mentors within the organization
    Annual Bonus
    Good pay once you are a manager or have 3+ years
    Strong Portfolio, positive outlook

Cons

Some positions require travel (10-90%)
    Advancement opportunities are limited if you are not able to relocate
    Collaboration can be difficult because you do not see your coworkers often
    Stigma attached to the tobacco industry
    There are a lot of demands on your time, many weeks can be over 40 hours, especially in a management role
    Endless pipeline of new initiatives coming at you
    Advancement requires visibility to managers, which can take some time
    Managers can be inconsistent

Advice to Management

More transparency on the "Why" behind decisions and new initiatives
    Strive for consistency in processes from region to region and sales area to sales area
    Ask for input from field, and if you ask for input, use it

8. "Terrific Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 3 years)

Pros

Feel valued. Work-Life balance is Excellent. Management is concerned about the company and the people in it. Not just lip service.

Cons

The tobacco industry. Industry consolidation. Unsure about the new direction of the company. Need a couple years to settle in.

9. "Territory Manager II"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, positive opportunities for coaching and development, in-depth training

Cons

spend a lot of time away from supervisors and co-workers, must have self discipline to be successful in this role

10. "They really do care about their employees"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Reynolds American goes to great lengths to ensure their employees are happy. They have one of the best 401k plans you can find, a wealth of professional growth opportunities, and an immensely knowledgeable employee base who are always happy to help you meet your objectives.

I especially like that goals are aligned from top to bottom of the org chart, providing transparency for your entire line of site within your function. The corporate office was recently renovated to an open working environment, promoting collaboration and innovative thinking. Compensation is very competitive and other wellness benefits help set RAI a cut above the rest.

Cons

Unknown company future with pending BAT acquisition.

Advice to Management

Keep RAI moving in a positive direction following BAT acquisition.