Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

1.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 30 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Time To Go"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had the great experience of working for 2 great managers early in my career, had a lot of fun.

Benefits are top notch.

Cons

Leaving now, due to extreme overwork and micromanagement, after 5 years it's like the company has gotten worse each year.

I do not recommend this company to join now due to the overwhelming "stuff"... its way too overcomplicated and reps secretly laugh about it at this point in time.

I have found lots of talent leave to mobility,limited track, & lack of pay. The worker ants have had enough and turnover seems to be high.

"Backlash"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My region used to posses great managers, but most of them now have either retired or left, or headed to the Beach to get away from the ludicrous stress levels.

The pay is ok for a very rural scenario. Employees can opt into a 401k plan and the company will match it up to a certain amount.

The car program is fantastic for field employees with a 150 a month flat fee.

Cons

The field has had enough of being taken advantage of. The new company direction has really upset a lot of the field.... with being overwork and very very underpaid and stagnant over the past few years.

If you break the CEO's salary down with total benefits, 1 person makes as much as the entire sales field across the United States.

People are tired of lousy launches, minimal movement tracks, micromanaging like a candy company, and less than par new hires.

Advice to Management

Please change the workload or pay more. Also, stop shoving crap down on field and wanting it done yesterday.

"Good For What It Is"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training workshops and benefits along with internet and phone monthly kickback. You also pick up experience with this job, the past few years have taught me a lot about different selling models.

Cons

Use this job for experience, if you are a millennial you should not be in this company more than 4 years.

The company doesn't pay worth anything at really any level compared to slot of different industries, but this is a CPG company. Pick up the experience and move on.

If you plan on staying with Reynolds for a career be prepared to get paid low and have high stress, it's a millennial dead end with really only 1 track to get "promoted"

"TMII-Job..Not Career"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks such as phone and internet reimbursement and medical. Stock seems to be performing well.

The benefits are the bright spot of the company, it's where it shines more than others and that's how they say how awesome they are.

Cons

As a recent college grad, I have been with Reynolds 4 years and I can say this is a job not career. Use it to get experience and move on, too much work for the pay now.

-CE's are degrading
    -So many brand launches its become the norm
    - No growth with this company... sit and change signs for 5 years hoping to get a pay raise of 5-9k (LOL)

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"Limited Opportunities For Growth"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The retirement plan and car allowance are sufficient. Corporate wellness program with a teledoc feature and very progressive benefits across the board.

This job is ideal for a small town individual who wants limited movement and a stable job.

Cons

extremely limited movement and opportunity for field employees, you get 1 track for a promotion and have to wait up to 5+ years for it and then they tell you where you are going to live... and it's all done based on managers "opinion" of you in a closed room.... yes, I am not joking.

The pay has become outdated also, with territory managers barely being able to make it (if even that) in metro areas. The newer generation would look at this job and gawk...

Advice to Management

Rethink why you have enormous turnover.

"Senior Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've grown with Reynolds for over 14 years, really enjoyed meeting close friends along the way... also I have benefited from a high performing stock and great return on my 401k.

This company has moved me all over the United States and I have been able to see some great sights along with experience 1st class meetings.

Health benefits and 401 match are top notch.

Cons

The culture has shifted as of late, and has progressively gotten worse for field personnel especially. The word is out on the new "direction" I will be retiring at the end of this year versus staying another 3 years like I planned, Yes, it's that bad.

The talent coming on board has become lackluster, with the field employees being taken advantage of and treated like they are dumb by home office.

The culture has become more of a "worker bee" structure, with the TM's becoming the scapegoat but yet telling them "management is here to help". The brand releases have become a toxic element for retailers as well. I have seen 3 TM's have health issues due to the work conditions now.

""Nothing to See Here..Move Along""

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I see the same "pros" looking through these reviews and they are all pretty much the same at this point (car,401k,medical) because that's all this company has left... problem is... that's the status quo for Fortune 500 companies now..

Cons

When you look beyond/under the "certified" great place to work and internal pointless surveys saying how great everything is... you will see a completely different company.

You will find FIeld employees are exhausted and as some reviews mentioned even exploited... to the point of health issues in some cases.

You will find Our customers now view us like PM... and micromanagement has come with new software reports and time stamps.

You will find a crazy turnover problem... with the younger generation packing up and leaving.

You will find an embarrassing salary.

You will find a bias "rating" system

Advice to Management

It's hard to find the positives anymore guys.

"Out Of Control-Stress for Nothing"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Car,internet,phone,medical,dental,vision,401k match and all car repairs are covered.

The company is strong on the "benefits" side.

Working in a extremely high cost of living environment by myself it's hard to find "pros" anymore... barely making it

Cons

The company expectations are out of control. Asking so much, yet still paying the same as it's mentioned on this website numerous times.

The field employees are the classic "trickle down" from management. Turnover is high due to people realizing they don't get paid enough for the workload anymore.

You would think this is a financial services Wall Street type job with the stress load TM's get, it's pointless.

Advice to Management

You can no longer deny the field is extremely unhappy, it's the overwhelming majority now all over the United States.

"*PLEASE READ IF CONSIDERING*"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Western, MN
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Western, MN

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Facts

- Nice retirement benefits
    - Very Nice Car given to field personnel
    - Health Benefits are plentiful for your family
    - Free shirts given every once in a while (small but nice)
    - Good performing stock historically
    - Cell phone and Email allowance

Cons

The Facts

- Culture has gone down hill drastically lately
    - Pay for field personnel no longer equals workload
    - Promotions are rare, with minimal pay jumps
    - Very limited track for upward movement
    - you will have to relocate your life for this company
    - Field employees now do over triple what they used too, without any salary adjustment.
    - You will be alone with this job

Advice to Management

This company has changed, and not for the best. The pay for this industry is not the best, and this company lacks pay even in the small tobacco segment. You are told you are the best.. but that's all it is, talk. Tons of better options out there, but if you asked me that 3 years ago, I would highly recommend this corporation.

"Territory Manager III"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

5 weeks of vacation,
    Company Vehicle

Cons

Poor Compensation: salary is extremely low even after many years with the company. After deductions for the company vehicle and medical are taken out, take home pay is abismal.
    Work Over Load: current TM has the resonsibility of more than 4 reps in the last few years (we have acquired 4+ companies) and pay has not gone up AT ALL.
    Promotions: you have to be willing to relocate

Advice to Management

You sent everyone up to Dallas to train your team on how to effectively communicate feedback up to management, here is all the feedback you need and you have done nothing with it.
    Change the compensation or change the workload. Change nothing and most will leave and never look back.