Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2017

2.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 23 reviews)

"Key Account Manager of a Beverage Distributor"

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- car for personal use and work, saves a lot of money for most folks
    - the insurance is good, lots of helplines to assist health needs, very progressive in a good way
    - you do get a annual bonus which is great
    - tuition reimbursement and great 401k package
    - the people are great(most of the time) in terms of FIELD trade marketing

Cons

Here is the issue, and it's no secret (as you can see from
    Recent reviews) the workload out of control, especially for TM's which are now exploited.

The company has reached the point of the notorious "pay not equaling workload." You can load the field up with tasks.... but you HAVE to raise pay... it's not hard to understand.

If you are young.. this company is at best a <5 year type setup.. while seasoned folks like myself are waiting on a buyout.

Advice to Management

For god sake..be realistic with field expectations...morale is the lowest I've seen in over 10 years. WAKE UP.

****If this is a "high performing culture" you need to pay like it is*****

"...Never Been So Stressed"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work at this company are amazing, we really do have best in class. The training and development is great---if you have a Manager who has an interest in helping to advance your career, you have it made. Car is a great benefit, flexibility of hours and work environment (no cubes!) is great.

Cons

Workload is out of control. Home office is completely out of touch with what is going on in the field. They keep piling on work with no concern for what is currently going on or initiatives. There has been a lot of start, stop, hurry, wait, and change of direction this year which is causing additional disruption on top of an overall hectic, all-time busiest year on record. Our buyers and customers are frustrated with the amount of launches and new products this year; we need to give them room to breathe and a chance to get used to some of our new brands. We've been focusing on speed to market and not any well-thought out launch plans, making us seem like some of our competitors who we've always mocked. Morale is at an all time low and there doesn't seem to be an end to this madness in sight. We are in danger of losing talented, hard-working people because of burnout and low compensation.

Advice to Management

Reward your people for their work. Pay them according to industry standards and for the increased workload. What you're doing isn't fair to your employees and is making you seem like you don't care about the well-being of anyone who works for you. We are exhausted.

"Territory Manager I =Got Stress?"

Former Employee - Territory Manager I
    Former Employee - Territory Manager I

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Car for personal Use
    - Decent place to start career
    - Training Seminars Are very good
    - Not a bad company for the CPG industry
    - insurance is great

Cons

- Stress is unvelievablel for territory managers... more and more tasks for the same pay? Come on...be serious.
    - CE's are out of control with expectations.. it's become kind of a joke now and part of the reason I left.
    - The moving around to get promoted thing is outdated guys... people will just leave and find a better job.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Look at these reviews and how they are trending.. I am a small example of more to come... I left and found a higher paying job with 1/8 the stress and without the unrealistic workload and didn't have to change my entire life to do it.

Also... stop calling yourself a sales company when you launch >5 brands in a year.... it's all tasks... not sales.. sales pays commissions and doesn't revolve around a room where people talk about cool stuff ya did last year and rate you.

4. "R&D Scientist IV (Materials Development)"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Pay is good. People are nice. Location is Fantastic.

Cons

Hours can be very, very long. The work can be pretty demanding at times.

"Pay is good but at a steep cost."

Former Employee - Key Account Manager
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, Paid Time Off, Benefits, Training Programs

Cons

Pay is slightly above average compared to similar roles in other CPG companies. However, by working here you significantly handicap your future opportunities outside of the tobacco industry due to the stigma that comes with working in this sector. The longer you work in the tobacco industry the harder it is to break from it. Entire industries will automatically eliminate you from consideration and, many times, you'll be starting from a weakened position with the ones that do give you a look. Speaking from experience, I would advise anyone looking to keep all of their career options open to stay less than 5 years with RAI.

The politics that you must contend with has become increasingly more prevalent over the past decade. Garnering allies and building upper-level management coalitions now trumps individual results and abilities. This is especially true for individuals looking to progress into upper management roles.

Advice to Management

The very nature of your industry and your products guarantees that you will not attract the most talented individuals. Don't exacerbate this issue by adopting policies that reward and promote individuals based on characteristics not tied to performance or abilities.

"Production Operator"

Former Employee - Production in Tobaccoville, NC
    Former Employee - Production in Tobaccoville, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Even though they pay $10 less an hour now for new employees, that salary is still pretty decent for most people. Weekends off most of the time. A lot of the people there are helpful and nice. There are some jackasses though.

Cons

The layoff threat is real. All it takes is someone at the top to decide they can save a buck and you will be gone. They will replace you with temp workers from Debbie's or whatever service they use nowadays. Also, don't even bring up a union. After a vote that was very close to bringing in a union, they laid off the whole primary department along with many machine operators and mechanics. Didn't matter which way you voted or who you supported. They don't care about employees anymore. They spend ungodly amounts of money making propaganda films to sway you toward their way of thinking. The pay is much less now. They hire you in at $10 less an hour than what it used to be. You will be working along side of people making much more than you doing the same jobs. If you are a substandard employee they seem to treat you better than if you are a hard worker. Some supervisors hover over you like vultures. It is kind of comical. There is the good 'ol boy network also, although it's probably not as bad now as it used to be.

"Company Culture of fear instilled by your boss from the top on down"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good benefits including insurance and car. Also, the end of the year bonus is based on how the company does as a whole so if you don't like to work hard but still reap the rewards of others, then this is right up your alley.

Cons

Where to begin...1.) The people in Home Office including the Brand teams are so far removed from the actual daily things that go on in the field, it is destroying the business. Case in point- EDRP. Not only were competitive consumers purchasing VAP because of the sale price, our loyal consumers were purchasing multiple packs. This is no longer the case so we are losing SOM and somehow this decline in volume is the TM's fault? I thought that we would have learned from the Vuse launch in CO vs. National that one size does not fit all.
    2.) Being "trusted category advisors" with our retailers, are we really looking out for their best interest by having them take in 18 new styles of cigarettes from January through July? This may work for chains with deep pockets but what about the little guys? Freedom of informed decisions, huh?
    3.) The reason this is on here is because there is no company system to offer feedback or suggestions. Too many ego's in Home Office that think they know what is best.

Advice to Management

We used to bash our competition yet we are following right in their footsteps. Employees are frustrated with so many initiatives going on. We need to stop trying to fix all the things that are not broke within the company. Exploit the strengths in each market rather than approaching it with a one size fits all mentality. Lastly, stand behind your open and honest communication that is continuously preached but never lived up to.

"Smoke and mirrors"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From the outside it looks like there doing the right thing, benefits are a positive and rarely do they fire anyone

Cons

Values and culture are misguided, very political environment, middle to higher management is driven solely by self interests while the organization does not really believe in their transformational vision

Advice to Management

Replace middle management who have no idea what leadership is

"Core values are bullox"

Pros

Nice benefit package. People take early retirement and later return as consultants.

Cons

Promotions are based on personality and not on merit, knowledge or skill level

Advice to Management

Don't hire your friends unless they have the knowledge and skills to do the job. You can't train aptitude. You either have it or you don't.

10. "honest opinion"

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay and benefits are good.

Cons

managers do not listen to employees.

Advice to Management

actions speak louder than words. some need to retire. do not live in the past. times have changed.