Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2017

5.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 30 reviews)

• Nothing except the fact it's in the tobacco industry (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Ignore the Negativity"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As mentioned in many prior reviews, the benefits are superb. The company is constantly on the edge of it's seat finding and thinking of new ways to take care of it's employees.

> Company Car - GMC Terrain ($150 is taken out of every other check to cover expenses. All servicing, fuel and anything else related to the vehicle is covered.
    > Cell phone and at-home Internet service allowance.
    > Company electronic devices including and at-home monitor and accessories for employee office.
    > Covered moving expenses for new-hires and promotions
    > and the list goes on...

Another big benefit is the support and guidance to help progress your career in the right direction. The company firmly believes in educating and providing the right resources to raise the bar of it's employees.

You also have the autonomy to manage your own territory while striving to achieve the company goals. With that being said, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck 5 days a week. In my personal experience, my supervisor trusts my business decisions and gives me the support I need, when I need it. That type of work environment is priceless to me and has truly allowed me to evolve into a more responsible, business-minded individual.

Cons

I titled this review , "Ignore the Negativity" due to the extensive amount of biased reviews that have rolled in over the past few months. Yes, it's no lie, we have had a busy year, but also quite the successful year. Additionally, the company provides us with multiple resources to help with the work load such as 3rd party merchandising support and identifying marketplace opportunities which helps take some of the load off.

To put it in perspective, the work of what was done by 4 reps, have been combined into one. Sounds daunting Right? Well before we jump to conclusion, our company has reduced the size of our assignments giving us the opportunity to visit our important accounts more frequently and for longer timeframes. In the past, one TM might have 250 stores while managing the brand's for 1 company, now that same TM has approx 100 stores managing all which means less drive time, more of a condensed impact and less stress. Work-life balance is a huge point for the company and I assure you, they will continue to find ways to best optimize this lifestyle.

In regards to promotions, yes they are rare. But not everyone can get promoted Right? The trick here is do your best and the best will come.

Advice to Management

It is our people that make our brands special and strong. Continue to put the employees first and we will continue to make the magic happen! In order to be more competitive, the pay structure needs to be revisited. There is about a 15k gap between our largest competitor for the TM role.

"Great company, great pay, great communication... Non-passionate complacence need not apply!!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great pay, flexible schedule, lots of perks, benefits are great... Company car, merit increases/bonuses, 401K match + enhancements, work out of your home, cell and internet expenses, etc... Open communication with management. Always learning something new about strategy and marketing. Management will always back you up on decisions made in the field. Management gives you a lot of creative freedom and executive power over your territory. As long as you have the ability to quickly adjust and embrace change, you will do well at RJRT. This is a job you have to be passionate and motivated about.

Cons

There are times when the work load can seem overwhelming. This is not an 8-5 job. There are some employees who linger in 'transition' positions until retirement. This disables the ability for entry-level/TM's to be promoted to management as quickly/easily as initially suggested by senior management. This limits the ability for the company to properly groom the more abitious and motivated youth they so strongly recruit to eventually 'run the company!'

Advice to Management

Be more realistic when suggesting a time frame for promotion. Be sure the expectations of your reps is more clearly stated.

"Overall, great company to work for to further career."

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company offers strong leadership development, comprehensive hands on training. There is ample opportunity for career advancement for those willing to work hard and demonstrate success in established leadership dimensions. Many perks - company car, gas paid, flexible work schedules, ownership of territory.

Cons

The salary paid in urban areas is not ideal for cost of living. Extra effort could be given to better adjust for high cost areas. The company also hangs on to unproductive members of the workforce longer than necessary - quick elimination of the those unwilling to demonstrate potential would better serve the entire team.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the dimensions of a good leader and bringing those characteristics to the workforce with new employment.

"Great career opportunity"

Current Employee - Lead Marketing Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Marketing Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Great creer outlook. It is great to work for a comapny that is willing to invest so much money in your development by leting you take development roles and sending you to great trainings

Cons

Field training could get REALLY boring, but you have to realize you need to know the field before entering senior management...

Advice to Management

Communicate more aggressively our migration strategy, we need people to be aware of our efforts to bring newer and better products to the market place

5. "Internship Experience"

Current Employee - Consumer Marketing Intern in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Consumer Marketing Intern in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Good Autonomy balance, great people who are passionate about their work and your professional growth. Company culture is family like and everyone is happy on the job. Brilliant internship experience.

Cons

Job is difficult because of the industry regulations but it makes your job challenging which keeps you on your toes.

Advice to Management

It's a flat organization so options to move up are extremely limited. More opportunities to move at least sideways would be good.

6. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Division Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Division Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Great people, great benefits and chance to move up if mobile

Cons

industry is tightening, must be mobile to move up

Advice to Management

Listen to local field managers and reps.

7. "Fantastic."

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Oxnard, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Oxnard, CA

Pros

Company car, room for advancement, perks.

Cons

Relocation is a guaranteed part of the initial hire.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding of relocation requests.

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Trade Marketing Representative in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Very supportive management. Great training programs and benefits.

Cons

Hard labor having to merchandise products, build and install shelving.

Advice to Management

Hire merchandisers

9. "Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Flexible schedule. great work life balance. Comapnay car, cell phone, lap top, gas paid for. good compensation. Smart good people to work with.

Cons

Promotions are based off what your boss thinks of you and less on performance. Need to reevaluate promotion process again.

10. "Great"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great company to work for and lots of perks.

Cons

A lot of change and expectations for every aspect of the job