Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 17, 2017

1.0
Debra A. Crew

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 30 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Good For What It Is"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training workshops and benefits along with internet and phone monthly kickback. You also pick up experience with this job, the past few years have taught me a lot about different selling models.

Cons

Use this job for experience, if you are a millennial you should not be in this company more than 4 years.

The company doesn't pay worth anything at really any level compared to slot of different industries, but this is a CPG company. Pick up the experience and move on.

If you plan on staying with Reynolds for a career be prepared to get paid low and have high stress, it's a millennial dead end with really only 1 track to get "promoted"

"TMII-Job..Not Career"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks such as phone and internet reimbursement and medical. Stock seems to be performing well.

The benefits are the bright spot of the company, it's where it shines more than others and that's how they say how awesome they are.

Cons

As a recent college grad, I have been with Reynolds 4 years and I can say this is a job not career. Use it to get experience and move on, too much work for the pay now.

-CE's are degrading
    -So many brand launches its become the norm
    - No growth with this company... sit and change signs for 5 years hoping to get a pay raise of 5-9k (LOL)

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"Limited Opportunities For Growth"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The retirement plan and car allowance are sufficient. Corporate wellness program with a teledoc feature and very progressive benefits across the board.

This job is ideal for a small town individual who wants limited movement and a stable job.

Cons

extremely limited movement and opportunity for field employees, you get 1 track for a promotion and have to wait up to 5+ years for it and then they tell you where you are going to live... and it's all done based on managers "opinion" of you in a closed room.... yes, I am not joking.

The pay has become outdated also, with territory managers barely being able to make it (if even that) in metro areas. The newer generation would look at this job and gawk...

Advice to Management

Rethink why you have enormous turnover.

""Nothing to See Here..Move Along""

Current Employee - Account Manager in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I see the same "pros" looking through these reviews and they are all pretty much the same at this point (car,401k,medical) because that's all this company has left... problem is... that's the status quo for Fortune 500 companies now..

Cons

When you look beyond/under the "certified" great place to work and internal pointless surveys saying how great everything is... you will see a completely different company.

You will find FIeld employees are exhausted and as some reviews mentioned even exploited... to the point of health issues in some cases.

You will find Our customers now view us like PM... and micromanagement has come with new software reports and time stamps.

You will find a crazy turnover problem... with the younger generation packing up and leaving.

You will find an embarrassing salary.

You will find a bias "rating" system

Advice to Management

It's hard to find the positives anymore guys.

"Was once a great working environment until they changed the CEO"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome perks, company car, work from home, great medical plan, awesome peers. Great work life balance dependent on your manager

Cons

Salary is so low for a Territory Manager. Our direct competitor for their Territory Manager equivalent position starts 15k higher. As the industry continues to shrink, so do the opportunities for advancement. You have to have the combination of mobility and ability to get promoted. Ive seen so many talented people getting passed over for promotion because they are rooted in their area and do not have the ability to move out of state. In turn, these talented folks end up leaving the company.

Ever since they replaced the CEO it has been nothing but brand launches consistently back to back. We then have to ram them down our customers throat with the "cross your fingers and hope it sells approach" (which by the way failed miserably for 2017). And by re packaging styles that never did well in the past and then start calling it Newport or Camel is not a guaranteed path to success. In fact it dilutes the styles that are selling and causes confusion for the customers and consumers with so many brand styles on the shelf and giving priority shelf space to the items that do not sell over the core items.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the base pay. Workload is by far the most the TM position has had to deal with. In the last 5 years you have combined the portfolio of what 4 TMs used to manage and yet there is no increase in salary. I have never been afraid of the challenge of hard work loads but they are still paying us as if we are still just managing a few brand styles

"Out Of Control-Stress for Nothing"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Car,internet,phone,medical,dental,vision,401k match and all car repairs are covered.

The company is strong on the "benefits" side.

Working in a extremely high cost of living environment by myself it's hard to find "pros" anymore... barely making it

Cons

The company expectations are out of control. Asking so much, yet still paying the same as it's mentioned on this website numerous times.

The field employees are the classic "trickle down" from management. Turnover is high due to people realizing they don't get paid enough for the workload anymore.

You would think this is a financial services Wall Street type job with the stress load TM's get, it's pointless.

Advice to Management

You can no longer deny the field is extremely unhappy, it's the overwhelming majority now all over the United States.

"Territory Manager III"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

5 weeks of vacation,
    Company Vehicle

Cons

Poor Compensation: salary is extremely low even after many years with the company. After deductions for the company vehicle and medical are taken out, take home pay is abismal.
    Work Over Load: current TM has the resonsibility of more than 4 reps in the last few years (we have acquired 4+ companies) and pay has not gone up AT ALL.
    Promotions: you have to be willing to relocate

Advice to Management

You sent everyone up to Dallas to train your team on how to effectively communicate feedback up to management, here is all the feedback you need and you have done nothing with it.
    Change the compensation or change the workload. Change nothing and most will leave and never look back.

"Every day you will work for a weird company with a really awkward management team."

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the pros mentioned in other reviews do not worth the stress the company is putting its employees for the last 2 years.

Cons

Where do I begin I can go on for hours it's just that weird. Don't expect to have a professional career here, not so fast, This company is like "Alice in the Wonderland" everything is backwards. The only professional" skills you will develop is how to put together power point presentations, Excel spread sheets and how to write novel type emails. For some reason that's how they measure success. All senior managers are just awrkward, with a few exceptions which is rare. They are unintelligent corporate drones with zero type personalities.Its hard to grow in this environment when you have no one to look up to. You do meet some cool and smart people, but they are way high up. Very fake culture and continuously increasing initiatives cause demoralization. This is the only job where I developed an enxiety because of luck of transperansy between the leadership and team. No one knows how decisions are made. People are overworked and I underpayed.

Advice to Management

Senior management, you make selling cigs hard for some reason.
    Giving you an advise is like throwing ice cubes at the sun but please work on "transformation" of the company culture and increase pay.

"Don't Be Fooled"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package offered is top notch, and has for the most left held steady unlike everything else. You can also have a good DM, but obviously this could be a benefit at any job.

There is the flexibility to work from home which some people may enjoy.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the "best places to work" and INTERNAL surveys which people are terrified to answer honesty(due to previous "seek and destroy" type missions by management).

The truth is this company now is savage towards field
    Employees... unrealistic workload and endless expectations... which is ok for a lot of jobs which pay a lot but this one does NOT.

The morale is absolutely terrible and the company now just shoves everything onto the field.

Advice to Management

Management has made the TM role/job the new Enterprise Rent a car "management trainee" position

"Senior Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've grown with Reynolds for over 14 years, really enjoyed meeting close friends along the way... also I have benefited from a high performing stock and great return on my 401k.

This company has moved me all over the United States and I have been able to see some great sights along with experience 1st class meetings.

Health benefits and 401 match are top notch.

Cons

The culture has shifted as of late, and has progressively gotten worse for field personnel especially. The word is out on the new "direction" I will be retiring at the end of this year versus staying another 3 years like I planned, Yes, it's that bad.

The talent coming on board has become lackluster, with the field employees being taken advantage of and treated like they are dumb by home office.

The culture has become more of a "worker bee" structure, with the TM's becoming the scapegoat but yet telling them "management is here to help". The brand releases have become a toxic element for retailers as well. I have seen 3 TM's have health issues due to the work conditions now.