Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Debra A. Crew

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 68 reviews)

Cons

"Company Culture of fear instilled by your boss from the top on down"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good benefits including insurance and car. Also, the end of the year bonus is based on how the company does as a whole so if you don't like to work hard but still reap the rewards of others, then this is right up your alley.

Cons

Where to begin...1.) The people in Home Office including the Brand teams are so far removed from the actual daily things that go on in the field, it is destroying the business. Case in point- EDRP. Not only were competitive consumers purchasing VAP because of the sale price, our loyal consumers were purchasing multiple packs. This is no longer the case so we are losing SOM and somehow this decline in volume is the TM's fault? I thought that we would have learned from the Vuse launch in CO vs. National that one size does not fit all.
    2.) Being "trusted category advisors" with our retailers, are we really looking out for their best interest by having them take in 18 new styles of cigarettes from January through July? This may work for chains with deep pockets but what about the little guys? Freedom of informed decisions, huh?
    3.) The reason this is on here is because there is no company system to offer feedback or suggestions. Too many ego's in Home Office that think they know what is best.

Advice to Management

We used to bash our competition yet we are following right in their footsteps. Employees are frustrated with so many initiatives going on. We need to stop trying to fix all the things that are not broke within the company. Exploit the strengths in each market rather than approaching it with a one size fits all mentality. Lastly, stand behind your open and honest communication that is continuously preached but never lived up to.

"Smoke and mirrors"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From the outside it looks like there doing the right thing, benefits are a positive and rarely do they fire anyone

Cons

Values and culture are misguided, very political environment, middle to higher management is driven solely by self interests while the organization does not really believe in their transformational vision

Advice to Management

Replace middle management who have no idea what leadership is

"Core values are bullox"

Pros

Nice benefit package. People take early retirement and later return as consultants.

Cons

Promotions are based on personality and not on merit, knowledge or skill level

Advice to Management

Don't hire your friends unless they have the knowledge and skills to do the job. You can't train aptitude. You either have it or you don't.

5. "honest opinion"

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay and benefits are good.

Cons

managers do not listen to employees.

Advice to Management

actions speak louder than words. some need to retire. do not live in the past. times have changed.

6. "Contractor"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work on my project. Some people have signed up for a 6-month contact and stayed on for several years.

Cons

Security cameras everywhere; badge in at every door, every turn (or so it seems)

"Territory Manager III"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

company car, solid benefits and 401K packages, work/life flexibility

Cons

I worked for the company for eight years in Wisconsin and Georgia, TMs get promoted based on how much their manager likes them personally and mobility, thus many unqualified people have been promoted. Because of this execution in the field has vastly declined over the years due to lack of qualified managers and has caused high turnover. I have run across many highly successful TMs during my tenure that were being held back due to the company culture. If you have a family, good luck on getting promoted as you will have to move all around the country. Managers are more like puppets than real people, and the obscene amount of millennials in management does not bode well for the future of this company.

Advice to Management

This job is not rocket science, but since managers have little work on their plate compared to territory managers (most managers spend about three days/week in their office which is there house!) there is a lot of added fluff and unrealistic, not logical expectations.

"Not What You Think"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Set your own schedule

Cons

Limited growth, especially for those of color
    Management enforces rules selectively
    Management does not have proper training prior to being placed in management roles
    Safety is not a concern for employees that work in dangerous metropolitan areas

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and learn to understand individuals from all socio-economical backgrounds.

"Glass ceiling"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, decent pay, and decent benefits.

Cons

Too many cliques, no advancement for African Americans, and core values only means something to a few instead of the masses - especially senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, and get rid of the bad apples. People of color have no realistic chance of making it to the top. Glass ceiling!

10. "Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in Utah have a tough time figuring out what's going on, so you can basically do whatever you want and get away with it for a long time.

Cons

People in Utah can't figure out what's going on and have a really tough time promoting people. If you're placed in Utah, pack your bags and leave asap.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to promote people who deserve it. Don't hold people back when because certainan managers should never have been in the position they are in.

"Favortism comes first"

Current Employee - Operator in Tobaccoville, NC
    Current Employee - Operator in Tobaccoville, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

The pay is good. But you pay back with all your free time.

Cons

No matter your degree or practical experience will get you ahead in this company. It is all about who you know. Any review stating otherwise, is one of the chosen few.

Advice to Management

No matter how much you pay; it is not enough for a single parent to miss time with their children in order to work 7 days a week now (for over a year) simply because management doesn't know how to run a department. I know 10 people right now planning to quit within 3 months. I am one.