Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 27 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Talent Migration"

Former Employee - Senior Division Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Division Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reynolds hired me out of college and I even did an internship with them, which was a great experience. I have been able to move up in the field and only recently have left due to massive changes unfortunately, which are not worth it anymore to be employed here.

The pay used to be equivalent to the work, and okay, insurance and retirement match also good.

Cons

Talent is leaving, you can especially see it also with the new hires coming on board, much less caliber, and it's even being noticed by TM's (who are completely miserable btw in general).

Turnover is high due to workload and pay, it's pretty simple.

Advice to Management

It might Almost too late for this unfortunately.

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people at Reynolds. I feel sad for the ones still there.
    $42 cell phone allowance (but only if you use Verizon-I wasn’t reimbursed for over a year because I had a contract with AT&T.)
    $55 Internet reimbursement (but if your plan is in someone else’s name, or bundled with cable tv you will get hassled about it and not paid.)
    Company car was a nice perk with gas and insurance included (but keep in mind you will pay $150 per month for this benefit.)
    9% 401k match was great.
    Benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The last two years have been a nightmare. New initiatives pop up constantly. Most are just poorly planned launches, and merchandising changes. The retailers are frustrated because they are constantly forced to bring in new SKUs that won’t sell.
    Brands have been combined so the TM is now doing the work that three TMs used to do, with no increase in pay, and decreasing bonuses.
    I also want to add that this company is single handedly trying to fill our landfills with plastic shelf hangars and other garbage.

Advice to Management

If you’re going to have any chance of retaining your employees for all their hard work, you’re going to have to pay them more!!! It’s not a livable wage in metropolitan areas.

3. "Very Rewarding!!!"

Current Employee - TMIII
    Current Employee - TMIII

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay! Benefits! Family Culture! Challenging, but equally rewarding throughout the year. It’s great to grow with in an environment that encourages teamwork.

Cons

Can’t think of any. Have been a TM for 10 years, and the changes that have been made over that period of time have been noticed.

Advice to Management

Continue delivering top notch coaching at all levels as well as the very valuable training that you provide constantly!

"My Review"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses are great, vacation and medical benefits were great

Cons

You are not really your own boss (lies), there are not enough checks and balances for the Division Managers (if they like you, you succeed, if not-you won't); They are NOT family friendly-the DM I had, pretty much told me I had to decide what was more important. They lie to you like you "get" a company vehicle-lies, you pay for it $150/month.
    There is no training, McDonald's has a better training program..

Advice to Management

There needs to be a group specifically for training new hires. Dont leave it to your DM's who then put it on an already overworked Territory Manager.

"Nice benefits, but no work/life balance and poor company culture in my area"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Car with unlimited gas, vacation policy, work from home. I recommended a friend to the position and they had a much better experience with a supportive boss.

Cons

No work/life balance. If you had to work in stores 2 hours away, they expected you to be there at 8 and leave at 5, regardless of the drive time there and back. You don't know where you'll end up working until after you've been offered the job.

Advice to Management

It's ridiculous to ask that employees not include all drive time as hours worked.

"Not Sustainable"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Salem, OR

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coaching and training workshops, vegas trips, retirement plan is good, insurance is perceived well

I did meet some great friends over the years which I will miss.

Cons

The reason why I left is because the current track is not sustainable (as if tobacco is). The company now values quarterly earnings targets through brand launches and low steady labor expenditure (field salary) instead of fostering a great culture with a focus on a consultant type sales approach.

Advice to Management

Speed to Market... is more like Speed to failure and turnover.

"Trade Marketing Representative"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, Great pay, great training and benefits. Co-workers are like family.

Cons

Company states that they care about work/life balance but that is not true. Some reps work 70 hours a week while others barely work 20 hours a week. If you a part of a team with someone who works minimal hours be prepared to cover their area since that rep is behind. Territories are not secure. Someone can move into your area and be given your assignment while you are given an assignment with a lot of drive time. The rules are not the same for everyone and this gets frustrating.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be fair when it comes to each employee and follow the same rules for everyone. Management also needs to stand up for their team members to ensure work/life balance is in place

"High paced, constantly evolving industry. Must be a self motivated employee"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on your own most days
    Great benefits
    Company car
    You get to be the CEO of your territory
    Out in the field everyday, driving from account to account. (Not a desk job by any means)

Cons

Changes are often drastic and stressful.
    Small lead time for changes.
    Constantly covering for other people.
    Dealing with upset retailers.

Advice to Management

Understand the number of things you want your territory managers to do and adjust your expectations to account for the workload

"Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Continued Training, Territory Managers can be promoted 2 times with good pay raises.

Cons

Starting pay is way below Territory Manager salaries so it takes 3 years to become competitive. Account managers change so frequently that no stability exists in your Division. Technology is lagging and bad experiences seem to be expected as norm. The review processes are subjective & secretive, advancement is not merit based. Bad managers are investigated by HR but nothing changes. They discuss work/life balance which has become less possible with all the additional brands, and but not if you seek advancement.

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people in this company, committed to delivering results for the company and developing people, strong training programs for all levels of organization , strong benefits programs. Company stock has historically performed very well.

Cons

Organization has become increasingly unrealistic in their expectations. Workload can make it tough to strike a good work-life balance. Industry facing major challenges that could significantly impact organization.

Advice to Management

Company has lost the discipline that I once admired. Sloppy and poorly planned initiatives have become the norm. Once thought that I would retire from this company, however this seems unlikely anymore. Will need to examine how to enhance retention. Salary is an element of retention, however, much more than that.