Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated September 23, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 23 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Run into the Ground"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management workshops were nice, cell phone and Internet allowances along with a home office start up amount... the company will also pay for your move which is rare. You go to Vegas every few years for usually a week.

Females are treated fair and respected throughout the organization

Cons

the company when I left was decked up to launch almost 20 brands in the calendar year.

The field is overworked and way underpaid... and the TM's are starting to figure this out, and how much can you "coach" a TM role?

Advice to Management

More routes needed for the field to promote (along with a base pay increase).

"Going Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, company car, 401k match

Cons

The TM role has quadrupled in workload without any increase in pay or modified expectations. The job will cause huge amounts of stress for anyone who takes pride in their work. It's impossible to complete all initiatives and more are pushed down every week. Turn-over is so high that you end up being responsible for vacant territories as well as your own. Almost zero chance of career progression.

Advice to Management

Treat employees the way you did a few years ago.

"1-800-Anxiety"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were ok,car, and the old culture was amazing also. It is great towards minorities throughout my entire career with them, have zero complaints about work environment.

Cons

This year has been a draining horrible year and a sign of the times to come.. and the issue is the amount of initiatives.. it's just turned into an executional task company..NOT a sales company with stretch goals that are just not worth the stress. This company pays its employees as much as gas station managers yet praise them as if they are 1 of a kind and "special", it's almost insulting at times. The TM level is a ticket to a panic attack.. feel bad for them.

Advice to Management

Pointless to give.. it's like telling my husband to put up the toilet seat.

"Key Account Manager of a Beverage Distributor"

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- car for personal use and work, saves a lot of money for most folks
    - the insurance is good, lots of helplines to assist health needs, very progressive in a good way
    - you do get a annual bonus which is great
    - tuition reimbursement and great 401k package
    - the people are great(most of the time) in terms of FIELD trade marketing

Cons

Here is the issue, and it's no secret (as you can see from
    Recent reviews) the workload out of control, especially for TM's which are now exploited.

The company has reached the point of the notorious "pay not equaling workload." You can load the field up with tasks.... but you HAVE to raise pay... it's not hard to understand.

If you are young.. this company is at best a <5 year type setup.. while seasoned folks like myself are waiting on a buyout.

Advice to Management

For god sake..be realistic with field expectations...morale is the lowest I've seen in over 10 years. WAKE UP.

****If this is a "high performing culture" you need to pay like it is*****

"...Never Been So Stressed"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work at this company are amazing, we really do have best in class. The training and development is great---if you have a Manager who has an interest in helping to advance your career, you have it made. Car is a great benefit, flexibility of hours and work environment (no cubes!) is great.

Cons

Workload is out of control. Home office is completely out of touch with what is going on in the field. They keep piling on work with no concern for what is currently going on or initiatives. There has been a lot of start, stop, hurry, wait, and change of direction this year which is causing additional disruption on top of an overall hectic, all-time busiest year on record. Our buyers and customers are frustrated with the amount of launches and new products this year; we need to give them room to breathe and a chance to get used to some of our new brands. We've been focusing on speed to market and not any well-thought out launch plans, making us seem like some of our competitors who we've always mocked. Morale is at an all time low and there doesn't seem to be an end to this madness in sight. We are in danger of losing talented, hard-working people because of burnout and low compensation.

Advice to Management

Reward your people for their work. Pay them according to industry standards and for the increased workload. What you're doing isn't fair to your employees and is making you seem like you don't care about the well-being of anyone who works for you. We are exhausted.

6. "TM"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great Management, Terrific Culture and Co-Workers!

Cons

None - This Is A Great Company To Work For!

Advice to Management

Keep Doing What You Are Doing!

7. "Good work for self-motivated, organized people"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Decent pay straight out of college with room for advancement if you are able to relocate
    17 days paid vacation to start
    6% (match) + 3% 401k contribution by employer
    you pay $150/month and have company car with paid gas, insurance, maintenance. Unlimited personal use.
    Ability to earn Hotel/airline points if you are in a position that requires travel
    Generous per diem while travelling (& you'll never have to stay at a best western)
    Flexible Schedule
    Plenty of training provided
    Fast-Paced results driven work environment
    Great teammates and mentors within the organization
    Annual Bonus
    Good pay once you are a manager or have 3+ years
    Strong Portfolio, positive outlook

Cons

Some positions require travel (10-90%)
    Advancement opportunities are limited if you are not able to relocate
    Collaboration can be difficult because you do not see your coworkers often
    Stigma attached to the tobacco industry
    There are a lot of demands on your time, many weeks can be over 40 hours, especially in a management role
    Endless pipeline of new initiatives coming at you
    Advancement requires visibility to managers, which can take some time
    Managers can be inconsistent

Advice to Management

More transparency on the "Why" behind decisions and new initiatives
    Strive for consistency in processes from region to region and sales area to sales area
    Ask for input from field, and if you ask for input, use it

"Territory Manager 2"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers are the best thing about this job. I've never met anyone in the TM role that I didn't like. There is also great benefits like a company car. The job itself is very easy and you get paid well enough for it.

Cons

There are several.
    1. CEs are a little degrading, I mean I didn't get a college degree to pass out coupons.
    2. You have to relocate to get this job and most of the time it's to a place where you know no one and you work alone. So it can be a lonely job.
    3. The bonus program makes little, to no sense.
    4. The job is very repetitive. Management likes to think we are having high level business discussions every store visit. But in reality, most store visits are just merchandising.
    5. You office is a convenience store.

Advice to Management

Get the brand teams aligned with each other. Every brand team wants to push a new initiative just because another brand did. This makes people in the field miserable.

"Culture Crash"

Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Calhoun City, MS
    Former Employee - Territory Manager II in Calhoun City, MS

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People you work with & freedom to work from home like many other outside sales jobs almost every promo is now outweighed by the cons below...

Cons

Turned into a tracking and big brother company with Countless brand launches and the ability to make cigarette pricing into a mess worse than college algebra. Every week is a new "initiative" and "focus" and it had to be done yesterday... give me a break.

Advice to Management

What happened? People used to feel "lucky" to work for this company... now people can't wait To get out

10. "Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Reynolds American (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Great benefits (matching 401K 6%, company car with everything taken care of, great training, flexible) good exposure

Cons

To be blunt, Reynolds focuses on promoting diversity candidates who may be unqualified - which can lead to poor upper management credibility.