Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated November 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 30 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

"Territory Manager III"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

5 weeks of vacation,
    Company Vehicle

Cons

Poor Compensation: salary is extremely low even after many years with the company. After deductions for the company vehicle and medical are taken out, take home pay is abismal.
    Work Over Load: current TM has the resonsibility of more than 4 reps in the last few years (we have acquired 4+ companies) and pay has not gone up AT ALL.
    Promotions: you have to be willing to relocate

Advice to Management

You sent everyone up to Dallas to train your team on how to effectively communicate feedback up to management, here is all the feedback you need and you have done nothing with it.
    Change the compensation or change the workload. Change nothing and most will leave and never look back.

"Was once a great working environment until they changed the CEO"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome perks, company car, work from home, great medical plan, awesome peers. Great work life balance dependent on your manager

Cons

Salary is so low for a Territory Manager. Our direct competitor for their Territory Manager equivalent position starts 15k higher. As the industry continues to shrink, so do the opportunities for advancement. You have to have the combination of mobility and ability to get promoted. Ive seen so many talented people getting passed over for promotion because they are rooted in their area and do not have the ability to move out of state. In turn, these talented folks end up leaving the company.

Ever since they replaced the CEO it has been nothing but brand launches consistently back to back. We then have to ram them down our customers throat with the "cross your fingers and hope it sells approach" (which by the way failed miserably for 2017). And by re packaging styles that never did well in the past and then start calling it Newport or Camel is not a guaranteed path to success. In fact it dilutes the styles that are selling and causes confusion for the customers and consumers with so many brand styles on the shelf and giving priority shelf space to the items that do not sell over the core items.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the base pay. Workload is by far the most the TM position has had to deal with. In the last 5 years you have combined the portfolio of what 4 TMs used to manage and yet there is no increase in salary. I have never been afraid of the challenge of hard work loads but they are still paying us as if we are still just managing a few brand styles

"Don't Be Fooled"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits package offered is top notch, and has for the most left held steady unlike everything else. You can also have a good DM, but obviously this could be a benefit at any job.

There is the flexibility to work from home which some people may enjoy.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the "best places to work" and INTERNAL surveys which people are terrified to answer honesty(due to previous "seek and destroy" type missions by management).

The truth is this company now is savage towards field
    Employees... unrealistic workload and endless expectations... which is ok for a lot of jobs which pay a lot but this one does NOT.

The morale is absolutely terrible and the company now just shoves everything onto the field.

Advice to Management

Management has made the TM role/job the new Enterprise Rent a car "management trainee" position

"Better Options"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Car,internet and phone allowance, expense account somewhat, deal with ok people internally which are feeling the same frustration as you.... medical and dental benefits offered w/ 401k

Cons

dead end job now, spend years sitting for a promotion to make a 8k more and be alone as an account manager and drown due to cost of living.

SOO many better options with less stress and without the never ending workload which is pointless and filled with "busy" work.

Advice to Management

You are all talk, and the field knows it.

"Seriously..."

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros are pretty much what everyone else wrote. Car, cell phone/internet allowance. The job itself used to be a Pro, not so much anymore. The people you work with are great, as long as they aren't a manager or aren't trying to become a manager (I think that's still a thing, who knows anymore).

Cons

Seriously? As a field employee, it's pretty easy to go through these reviews and see which ones were written by an actual field employee, and which were written by some clown in home office trying to bring the company score up. Yes, it happens. Why don't you go work on some more initiatives to shove down our throats; or maybe its time for another new product launch to "revolutionize" the industry?

Cons? How about smoke and mirrors, lies, deception, call it as you wish. The company used to be great, and the job used to be a lot of fun. Our goal was always to build relationships first, then sell. Not anymore - we shove numerous new products down these retailers throats. You've successfully destroyed some of our best relationships at the independent level. Don't worry though, I'm sure the chains are well on their way to following. 4th tier anyone?

Advice to Management

Let's play some role reversal. I'd love to see some of these "Senior" Division Managers be a TM again. You guys do a lot of talking - I would too if I had to remind everyone how "busy and overwhelmed" I was by sitting in my office sending emails out to the team for more things to get done. You're not out dealing with these retailers on a daily basis like we do - get over yourselves. You couldn't handle being a TM in 2017. Not a chance.

"Every day you will work for a weird company with a really awkward management team."

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the pros mentioned in other reviews do not worth the stress the company is putting its employees for the last 2 years.

Cons

Where do I begin I can go on for hours it's just that weird. Don't expect to have a professional career here, not so fast, This company is like "Alice in the Wonderland" everything is backwards. The only professional" skills you will develop is how to put together power point presentations, Excel spread sheets and how to write novel type emails. For some reason that's how they measure success. All senior managers are just awrkward, with a few exceptions which is rare. They are unintelligent corporate drones with zero type personalities.Its hard to grow in this environment when you have no one to look up to. You do meet some cool and smart people, but they are way high up. Very fake culture and continuously increasing initiatives cause demoralization. This is the only job where I developed an enxiety because of luck of transperansy between the leadership and team. No one knows how decisions are made. People are overworked and I underpayed.

Advice to Management

Senior management, you make selling cigs hard for some reason.
    Giving you an advise is like throwing ice cubes at the sun but please work on "transformation" of the company culture and increase pay.

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoying your job used to be the biggest pro of this job, working with great people and retailers respecting you.

Car allowance with gas including and all services/shop work. Family vision and health benefits w/ a strong 401k

Cons

Expectations have risen to unreasonable, I haven't met a rep in 2017 which is happy with what the company has become now.

Micromanagement and tracking is now a part of life.

Advice to Management

How are you going to "revolutionize" tobacco w/ high turnover and a vast amount of your field sales force being extremely unhappy employees?

"The TM Peon"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of the pros have been outweighed since around 2016.... the company offers 401k health and car allowance which are all perks to be fair.

Cons

The TM role has become a workhorse and peon. Everything now trickles down now to the TM level... and is "tracked".... It's an absolute disgrace and 95% of the field TM's are stressed to beyond belief and scared to tell management.

Everyone puts on a happy face, but look around... turnover is rampant and I have not personally talked to a single TM who is happy in 2017. It's very sad to say that.

Advice to Management

None.

"Mistreating Loyal Employees Since 2016"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was once a great place to work. It always had its drawbacks but now all the upside is in the past.

Cons

The company has abandoned the field. It's become clear that a dramatic restructuring in looming. Field employees have become the whipping boys of the company. Customers who once appreciated our programs are becoming incredibly dissatisfied and taking their frustrations out on TM's, AM's and DM's. The company asks for more and delivers less. We are responsible for trying to clean up home office's mess while trying to move the needle. Putting out fires is now 80% of the field's job.

Advice to Management

This seems intentional advice won't help

"The New Norm"

Current Employee - TMIII in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - TMIII in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

150$ monthly fee for unlimited mileage car (however this perk isn't keeping as many people around as in the old days)

Health insurance and vision are good, personal days are allowed also... the company is great with this kind of stuff... 401k match etc. as well.

Cons

- work is about 4x what it used to be (2015)... while base pay sees no increase. Management needs to realize TM's are noticing this....all of em' almost at this point after this nightmare year of 2017.

- the brand launches are at the point of being mindless now... and face the music guys... these "new" brands are struggling, seriously just stop.

-the enormous stress and weekly fire drill initiatives are getting old for a lot of people, enough is enough.

Advice to Management

The turnover is high, and you can see why from these reviews on this website.