Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Pros
  • Team spirit with good work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits - focused on making RAI one of the best companies to work for (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very challenging (in 18 reviews)

• tobacco industry has a lot of negative perceptions most of which not valid - legal industry - operating very ethically (in 20 reviews)

"Tobacco Sales"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great Pay, Car, Travel, Bonus, Home Office

Cons

Some Managers are Nazis and take their job to serious.

Advice to Management

Hire better Regional Directors

"Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Co: No Leadership, Bad Culture"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Decent starting salary, company car, benefits, 401k with match.

Cons

1.) Treated as property; salary means "you do". No motivators outside of "we pay you".

2.) Clocking in/ out: that's right, as a salaried outside sales professional you must clock in/ out and are held accountable to making a certain number of visits per day within an 8 hour time frame. Make any more than said number (which changes quarterly, or semi-annually) and you're not making "quality calls", make any less and you're given some other watered down excuse for management.

3.) First time manager every year: "promote from within" basically means a first time manager will be learning from their mistakes, consequently effecting your career, every 1-2 years.

4.) Blatant favoritism: people who come into power easily typically have a hard time maintaining that power (see above). Promotions are not a result of hard work and industry knowledge, it comes down to filling affirmative action quotas and a fairly pathetic version of "networking".

5.) No leadership: people in power are coasting on organic growth of a niche brand.

6.) Bad Culture: it doesn't take long to see through the "generosity" of this company. SFNTC operates as the rich father who's family is falling apart because he tries to buy love and is blind to what really needs to be done.

*Extension of 6.) There is no integrity of company values. People in power do not care about sustainability or the value set behind the "image" American Spirit tries to portray to the public. The people running this company are making money from a growing niche, and "greenwashing".

Advice to Management

Gut all Director level positions and start from scratch.

"Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company-Disgustingly Unethical Treatment of Employees"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Median salary, benefits, bonus structure based on declining companies combined efforts.

Cons

Completely manipulative executive "leadership". Disgustingly unethical treatment of employees. Favoritism, cover-ups, abuse of affirmative action standards. Middle management mainly consists of people a couple years out of college who make the right "friend" and are then allowed to make their first professional mistakes off of the backs of good people, therefore very negatively affecting peoples lives. For example, creating high stress, often hostile work environments, and creating extremely high employee turn over either by termination or resignation. People don't last long here. In the last year alone, I know of at least a dozen people in one region who have left the company or been fired. There is almost zero work/ life balance. They use a "carrot" to string you along promising promotions, which is only a very manipulative trick. This is intended to fool all employees into working as if they are always on the verge of being promoted, when reality is they have a select few that will be promoted based on filling quotas that have nothing to do with their quality of work. If you expected integrity and honesty from a tobacco company, think again before applying here. Manipulation is the key word when it comes to SFNTC.

Advice to Management

If it wasn't too late, I'd say to try and regain some integrity in your management force.

"Worse as time passes."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent for Winston Salem.

Cons

1. Lack of clear vision,
    2. Too willing to promote people who are young and inexperienced, and often unqualified for their positions.
    3. Continuous degradation of benefits
    4. No path for promotion, for most people in the company.
    5. Performance review process is flawed.
    6. "Succession" planning process is flawed.
    7. No opportunity to "apply" for jobs internally.
    8. Company places too much emphasis on bringing in talent and almost no importance on retaining talent with often decades of experience.

Advice to Management

1. Consider the opinion of employees, not just new employees.
    2. Consider looking at ALL employees for promotion opportunities, not just the new hires/less tenured employees.
    3. Stop being myopic in managing the company. Think at least a couple of years out.
    4. Offer new opportunities to ALL employees.
    5. Revise "succession" planning and employee reviews.
    6. Equally value all employees - not just new hires.

"It was fun at first until new management took over"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Reynolds American part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were no pros to this job

Cons

Always changed procedures and followed you around in your territory all of the time

Advice to Management

If you are unhappy with employee fire them do not make them miserable

"Corporate America at its finest"

Former Contractor - Retail Marketing Development
    Former Contractor - Retail Marketing Development

I worked at Reynolds American as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The Pay was great, but then they changed it

Cons

Upper level management does not see you as a person

Advice to Management

Nothing is perfect n people do make mistakes

"Scared to lose your job, always."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Interesting place to try to find a way to fit in with insane amounts of governmental regulations to stop you from doing your job. Always keeping you on your toes.

Cons

Too many layoffs. Over the last 5 years, the company has shrunk so much that people are overloaded. Additionally, IT is just inundated with work at all times, and there is never a chance to rest. You'll often work way too many hours and never get promoted for your efforts. Then, after all you've given up for the company, you'll be booted because they need to cut more jobs.

Advice to Management

Stop laying people off so you can take other stupid risks like buying companies that produce products to help your consumers stop using your product.

9. "Cold management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Salary Is a great positive. Reason why most are there. I left in- spite of the high salary...

Cons

Top-down... Old management forever.. No change for 8 years I was there

Advice to Management

Shake it up at the top.

"Not what it once used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM

Pros

Nothing. Not anymore. I mean, the pay is good and the benefits aren't terrible, but none of it makes the rest of the stuff we have to weather these days even remotely worth it.

Cons

Well, let's see.

Senior management doesn't communicate well with employees, if they bother to at all. There's one particular member of the senior management team who favors using corporate buzz-words and obfuscating matters instead of being up-front with us. They seem to believe that we're children, incapable of understanding or being able to accept things, which is incredibly offensive.

Promotions are given out based on favoritism rather than considerations like skill or aptitude. I watched people who were wholly and completely unqualified for them be promoted to management positions just because they were friends with folks in senior management, while folks who were qualified weren't even given the opportunity to apply for those positions. In fact they weren't even told that there were management positions available, and only found out once those promotions were announced.

Lower-level management also plays favorites, giving certain people within their teams ample development opportunities while other employees who are just as capable end up being passed over. It's really difficult to get enthused when you know that one person is always going to be chosen to head up new projects, and not even because this person is necessarily any more capable, but because this person is buddies with management.

On that note, management just plain plays favorites. There are several folks who are allowed special treatment. For example, if you don't schedule time off in advance, it can be difficult to get a particular manager to allow you to leave early if you need to, even if you have the PTO to cover it. However, this manager's favorites can come and go as they please. There is also a particular member of the team whom this manager allows to take extended lunch breaks. The rest of us are restricted to half hour long lunches, but this person can, and has, taken up to an hour and a half before.

The marketing department is given special treatment. They can pretty much make up their own hours for all intents and purposes, and it's not unusual for them to take day-long "brain-storming" sessions at the local brewery. Worse, they're not particularly competent. They've screwed up pretty badly several times in the last couple of years, and as if that's not bad enough, the rest of us have to clean up their messes. We have to make excuses to angry customers because these "golden-children" can't seem to be able to do their job with any measure of professionalism.

Employee reviews are conducted largely by senior management, which consists of a group of people who don't often interact with the employees they're critiquing, and who probably wouldn't be capable of understanding or empathizing with them even if they could be bothered to. I was personally dealing with deep depression last year. I did my best to put it aside and focus on my work, but it wasn't always easy. I still got my work done and kept my level of professionalism consistently high like it always was, but I admittedly didn't always look like I had much enthusiasm for it. And often I didn't, because that's kind of how depression works. Instead of coming and talking to me about it, senior management decided that I was only there to collect a paycheck and that I didn't have any passion for the job. That's not the case at all. I loved my job, but sometimes life takes a toll on a person, and it's not always as easy to separate one's personal life from their work life as these people think it should be. So I got a less than favorable review, all because I was dealing with some tough stuff and these people couldn't be bothered to talk to me about it like management ought to do. Hell, just like human-beings ought to do.

Then there's all the Reynolds stuff. They've come in and made sweeping changes that have gutted the company. Where it was once a family environment, it's now just as stark and corporate as any other company out there. It's pretty obviously all being done simply to make the RJR shareholders happy, which has made it impossible to believe in the company or the product anymore. I've seen fantastic people be thrown under the buss and tossed aside, while the folks who will remain after the axe drops are some of the most self-serving sycophants I've ever met. RJR has sucked everything of value out of the company, leaving nothing more than a brand name that it can exploit for as long as the public remains largely clueless about what's happening behind the scenes. It's become a terrible company to work for, and if not for the awesome folks I work with and my equally awesome manager, I'd go nuts trying to keep it together in the midst of all this soul-sucking that's going on.

Advice to Management

My immediate manager is fantastic. I have no complaints about that person. The rest of them are so far gone that I don't know that any of my advice would be heard, much less taken to heart.

11. "Incompetent Management and Unrealistic goals may end your career"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Some regions operate like a family, they make sure that all of their people are in a position to succeed.
    - Benefits
    - Car
    - People (Excluding Denver Team)
    - Bonus
    - Training

Cons

These were my negative experiences working with the Denver Region:
    - No coaching
    - No positive feedback
    - Minimal Development
    - Incompetent Upper Management
    - Unrealistic Expectations from Upper Management
    - Have to be 100% mobile for promotions
    - Rule by fear
    - Micro-managing
    - (3 AM's in 3 months quit in 2011)

Advice to Management

Take a look at some of the people you have in Region Director and Senior Management positions. My experience in other regions was much more positive than in Denver.