Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 22 reviews)

• Tobacco industry, management can be overbearing for a simplified job description (in 23 reviews)

1. "good"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company to work for

Cons

they can a lot better on the salary

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company car was one the biggest perks, benefits were great, 401k matching, Cell phone discount, and allowance. Great health and dental benefits.

Cons

They constantly use a "promotion" over your head to encourage you to work harder but promotions are few and far between. Management was constantly changing so you were always having to build a relationship and prove yourself to a new manager to get a good yearly review. I personally had 3 different managers in 5 years and 3 different Regional Directors. You do something one way then another manager comes in and "prefers" it another way. Job depends strongly on the manager. After the acquisition of Lorillard they doubled the work load for employees. The amount of work you have to do to get a promotion (which you WILL have to relocate to) compared to the pay raise you get is crazy. You could just find another job if you wanted the pay increase.

Advice to Management

Stop playing the competition game with your teams. When teammates feel they are in competition for a promotion the work environment gets tense.

"Pretty good but can be great"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hands down the people you work with
    - Benefits, company car, monthly reimbursements
    - Long-term strategic vision
    - Culture of gratitude

Cons

- In Field Trade Marketing, home office is pushing too many initiatives all at once
    - Like any large organization, the optics of your work may be more important than the actual work you do. Can't blame anybody, the evaluation process is tough when you rarely work with the people who are judging you
    - Very limited opportunities to move across functions or up the ladder. NEED TO BE MOBILE

Advice to Management

We have great brands, and field trade marketing needs the time to implement initiatives so we can move the business forward.

If I was an SD, AVP or higher, I would institute a system to garner anonymous feedback from TMs. When you come out to the field, TMs are out to impress you, not show you the actual struggles. This is causing a massive disconnect between our execution strategy and the reality of the field.

You want a coaching culture, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. HONEST feedback is what you need to grow the business. You want to be market leaders, go the extra mile and listen to your TMs.

"Production Operator"

Former Employee - Production in Tobaccoville, NC
    Former Employee - Production in Tobaccoville, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Even though they pay $10 less an hour now for new employees, that salary is still pretty decent for most people. Weekends off most of the time. A lot of the people there are helpful and nice. There are some jackasses though.

Cons

The layoff threat is real. All it takes is someone at the top to decide they can save a buck and you will be gone. They will replace you with temp workers from Debbie's or whatever service they use nowadays. Also, don't even bring up a union. After a vote that was very close to bringing in a union, they laid off the whole primary department along with many machine operators and mechanics. Didn't matter which way you voted or who you supported. They don't care about employees anymore. They spend ungodly amounts of money making propaganda films to sway you toward their way of thinking. The pay is much less now. They hire you in at $10 less an hour than what it used to be. You will be working along side of people making much more than you doing the same jobs. If you are a substandard employee they seem to treat you better than if you are a hard worker. Some supervisors hover over you like vultures. It is kind of comical. There is the good 'ol boy network also, although it's probably not as bad now as it used to be.

5. "Company Culture"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Reynolds American (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company recently initiated a new "coaching" style of management that allows feedback and advice to flow up and down the chain. Great change from everything being a top-down approach. Excellent benefits and company car.

Cons

Starting salary is great for entry-level, college graduates, depending in where you're located) but absolutely terrible for mid-level contributors. No flexibility for negotiating salary. Entry-level in MD paid same salary as AL. No cost of living difference!

Advice to Management

Great job with management style change and allowing reps more freedom in how they manage their accounts. Allow salaries to reflect individual's experience and cost of living.

"Reynolds American Review"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The base pay and bonuses are great. Benefits are average.

Cons

Exposure to cigarette smoke, especially in R&D.

7. "Territory Manager"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great coaching and team mates company takes care of TM in the field

Cons

Can become repetitive after a while

8. "Territory Manager"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Independent Working Experience- managed your time and the flow of your day.
    At new places with new faces literally every day
    Helped me to learn the city I relocated to

Cons

Hard to get promoted- bottle necked as the positions climb
    Be ready for strangers to pass judgement on what you do- block their opinions out!

"Became a mother & they weeded me out"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money and benefits are good. Working independently also has its perks. They invest a lot of money in training.

Cons

Very high stress and long hours. Since Debra Crew became president, employees are getting burnt out with all the initiatives coming done. Makes it hard to manage all the tasks and goals. Your Division Manager can make or break your career. Company started treating me horriblely and making my job more difficult ever since they found out I was pregnant and became a mother.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like they matter.

"Company Culture of fear instilled by your boss from the top on down"

Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good benefits including insurance and car. Also, the end of the year bonus is based on how the company does as a whole so if you don't like to work hard but still reap the rewards of others, then this is right up your alley.

Cons

Where to begin...1.) The people in Home Office including the Brand teams are so far removed from the actual daily things that go on in the field, it is destroying the business. Case in point- EDRP. Not only were competitive consumers purchasing VAP because of the sale price, our loyal consumers were purchasing multiple packs. This is no longer the case so we are losing SOM and somehow this decline in volume is the TM's fault? I thought that we would have learned from the Vuse launch in CO vs. National that one size does not fit all.
    2.) Being "trusted category advisors" with our retailers, are we really looking out for their best interest by having them take in 18 new styles of cigarettes from January through July? This may work for chains with deep pockets but what about the little guys? Freedom of informed decisions, huh?
    3.) The reason this is on here is because there is no company system to offer feedback or suggestions. Too many ego's in Home Office that think they know what is best.

Advice to Management

We used to bash our competition yet we are following right in their footsteps. Employees are frustrated with so many initiatives going on. We need to stop trying to fix all the things that are not broke within the company. Exploit the strengths in each market rather than approaching it with a one size fits all mentality. Lastly, stand behind your open and honest communication that is continuously preached but never lived up to.