Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated February 11, 2017

Pros
  • Team spirit with good work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits - focused on making RAI one of the best companies to work for (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very challenging (in 18 reviews)

• tobacco industry has a lot of negative perceptions most of which not valid - legal industry - operating very ethically (in 20 reviews)

1. "Amazing Company!!"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make your career what you want it to be. You can work in multiple functions doing lots of different roles. The company values development.

Cons

I can't think of a lot of negatives. One, as with any company, is that it is hard to keep up with the commercial business if you work in other areas.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent, and sharing info about the business!

2. "Commitment to People Development"

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 10 years)

Pros

RJRT is fully committed to the development of the individuals that make up this company. This is apparent at all levels of the organization. This is an organization focused on people that recognizes the value of each and every individual.

Cons

For some, the stigma of working in the Tobacco Industry

Advice to Management

Continue building a high performance culture based on the people that work here.

3. "Amazing First Job Out of College"

Pros

This was my first job out of college and while I would have never dreamed I would be doing this.... I am extremely glad that I am! It is stressed from the top - down that the employees that make up RAI are it's most valuable resource. Great benefits from 401k match, good compensation, company car, business expenses, etc. Transparency from the leadership team all the way down (we are all working towards the same goals). I feel properly challenged, recognized, and compensated which are keys to attracting talent/retention. Opportunities for advancement if you are willing to put for the extra effort. If you are on the fence about joining this family, do yourself a favor and do it... You will thank me later.

Cons

Really no negatives come to mind - perhaps some clues or better insight when it comes to promotions. It would help the employees better plan for relocations (timing/location).

Advice to Management

Continue with what you are doing - keep our vision and culture at the forefront of all the decisions you make. Leadership team is very engaged with all employees and they are approachable - this speaks volumes!

5. "RJRT feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Very innovative company that consistently strives to gain market Leadership while always holding the employees of the company as the #1 asset. RJRT truly embraces the whole concept of a high performing culture giving all tools necessary to achieve the goals/expectations.

Cons

I don't have any downside comments as I feel very fortunate to working for such a great company

6. "Buyer III"

Current Employee - Buyer III in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Buyer III in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Imagine yourself walking into work each day excited about the variety of work and people you work with. The most fulfilling thing working at RAI is genuinely feeling valued. We are employees, we are family members, we are members of the community. So with RAI I can be a valued employee, give back to my community, and ensure a work-life balance. Talent development is in my hands, and I feel encouraged to know that my career will continue to excel.

Cons

Workload balance ebbs and flows. There are times when it can be hard to break away.

Advice to Management

Thanks for making us feel valued!

"senior division manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Small family feel from a large company. All the positives that come from everyone knowing who you are, but the financial security of a large prosperous company. Freedom to get our job done without clocking in and out everyday. Team spirit with good work life balance. Good benefits and a coaching atmosphere with managers who want to win.

Cons

Promotions can take time, as the company has a flat structure, but the rewards for being promoted are amazing. Putting in your time is truly rewarded and worth the wait.

Advice to Management

Please review my cons section. Also the need to be mobile. If you want to move into management, then you need to be able to move to where the position is open. This is not a con to me, just the reality of knowing that if you want to be a manager, you need to move to where the company needs a manager.

8. "Division Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Division Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Division Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent company to be a part of... Investment in people and creating a culture of success is a priority backed by the programs offered... Benefits, professional development workshops, and consistently seeking feedback from customers and employees to improve are a few pros.

Cons

Its tough changing the perception of "Big Tobacco" ... However over the last 3+ years the company has provided many resources to help each of us be more involved in our communities which slowly changes the "stigma" attached to working for a Tobacco Company.

Advice to Management

Teams are eager to learn and understand the perspective you bring - the AVPs are doing a nice job taking the "titles" out of the equation... Keep it up!

"I have never worked somewhere better"

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company cares about your wellbeing. They spend time and money on every individual employee's coaching and development. They help you put a development plan in place in order to help you grow in your job and career. There are many classes’ available and tenured employees to help you along the way. I came to this company ten years ago from the private sector and have never been happier with a job. This was my 6th job out of college and I already had something to compare to. The pay is excellent and there are many extra benefits to working here including a focus on work life balance. You earn your promotions here through hard work and accomplishments - not time in position. I like that.

Cons

Healthcare is average - out of pocket maximum for individual and family is pretty high. Above average for the industry but not as good as it used to be. You will be hard pressed to find something better with a similar company so it is what it is.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on your people - your most important asset. This started when Susan came back to the company and needs to continue when she retires. Moral has never been higher even as people have been busier then ever.

"More Than a Number"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't enough words to describe the benefits of working for Reynolds American. Employees are shown every day that our development and success are priorities of the company. RAI also responds to employee feedback and/or concerns with action, and ensures that as a company, it goes above and beyond to ensure we feel at home and cared about here. At RAI, I am more than just a number. In a nutshell, this company gives back. It gives back to its employees, and it gives back to the community. I could not ask for more from an employer!

Cons

There is so little turn over, that sometimes you may have to wait a little longer for career advancement. -Which in my opinion, is also a pro.

"Chance of a Lifetime"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very progressive, forward moving/thinking industry leader with staying power. Executive momentum is energetic, inspired and us/team focused. President and Chief Executive is very aware that it takes everyone to make it all work. In my experience, the compensation, insurance, 401k and additional benefits are completely out of the ordinary.

Cons

Looking at RAI as a whole, I have nothing contribute at this time.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that management continue to be progressive and aggressive, as well as to continue acknowledging its employees and their value to the organization.