Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated October 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 27 reviews)

• Stigma attached to the tobacco industry (in 24 reviews)

1. "Trade Marketing Rep."

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Very knowledgeable leadership team and benefits are incredible. A great company to work for.

Cons

Is not your typical 8-5 job type. Work may continue after hours depending on the situation.

Advice to Management

None

"Harsh Times"

Former Employee - TMIII
    Former Employee - TMIII

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-culture used to be great
    - internet and phone allowance
    - ability to work from outside home
    - health and 401k match

Cons

- culture is failing with new CEO and business model
    - field employees are exploited
    - work has over double over the last year yet pay still continues to stay the same
    - millennials need not apply... very mundane work with minimal track to promotion w/ minor pay jumps

3. "Review of RAI"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, challenging, great work/life balance and work environment, friendly and engaging employees

Cons

None - great company to work for!

"1-800-Anxiety"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boise, ID

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were ok,car, and the old culture was amazing also. It is great towards minorities throughout my entire career with them, have zero complaints about work environment.

Cons

This year has been a draining horrible year and a sign of the times to come.. and the issue is the amount of initiatives.. it's just turned into an executional task company..NOT a sales company with stretch goals that are just not worth the stress. This company pays its employees as much as gas station managers yet praise them as if they are 1 of a kind and "special", it's almost insulting at times. The TM level is a ticket to a panic attack.. feel bad for them.

Advice to Management

Pointless to give.. it's like telling my husband to put up the toilet seat.

"Going Downhill Fast"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, company car, 401k match

Cons

The TM role has quadrupled in workload without any increase in pay or modified expectations. The job will cause huge amounts of stress for anyone who takes pride in their work. It's impossible to complete all initiatives and more are pushed down every week. Turn-over is so high that you end up being responsible for vacant territories as well as your own. Almost zero chance of career progression.

Advice to Management

Treat employees the way you did a few years ago.

"Not What You Want Now"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and Car are nice along with training programs. I was a TM for a few years and some of the people I worked with were nice and always helpful

Cons

You work so hard and finally get promoted to account manager.. some TM's wait YEARS for this...very discouraging. Once you get the promotion, you feel empty and living in a random part of the United States with a minor at best pay increase. Sure enough... you have to wait for the next promotion... living isolated and waiting to change your life (again).

Advice to Management

Expand the TM role into a career spot and blend it with AM with commissions etc. and the field base salary levels have to move up, it's almost embarrassing.

"Feeling the Decline"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No local office so you work independently in the field. This is a pro for me but some might prefer an office setting.

Cons

The last few years (the last year especially) you can feel the change. The TM role has devolved into a merchandising role. If you expect to have time or energy to make an impact and grow the business, forget it. You will spend your days on the floors of convenience stores moving cigarettes around, all day, every day. Everything changes every few weeks so as soon as you complete something, it's time to redo it. All the decent employees are gone and what's left is what you'd expect for what it is now. Pay is below average, work is menial and you won't learn anything of any value. The company refuses to adjust for generational differences and thinks HR practices that worked 30 years ago are still effective.

Advice to Management

You constantly talk about "change" but nothing has changed for employees besides the amount of work and hours. How about finding a way to work in some positive changes for employees? Oh, and fire whoever is responsible for the last two brand launches.

"...Never Been So Stressed"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that work at this company are amazing, we really do have best in class. The training and development is great---if you have a Manager who has an interest in helping to advance your career, you have it made. Car is a great benefit, flexibility of hours and work environment (no cubes!) is great.

Cons

Workload is out of control. Home office is completely out of touch with what is going on in the field. They keep piling on work with no concern for what is currently going on or initiatives. There has been a lot of start, stop, hurry, wait, and change of direction this year which is causing additional disruption on top of an overall hectic, all-time busiest year on record. Our buyers and customers are frustrated with the amount of launches and new products this year; we need to give them room to breathe and a chance to get used to some of our new brands. We've been focusing on speed to market and not any well-thought out launch plans, making us seem like some of our competitors who we've always mocked. Morale is at an all time low and there doesn't seem to be an end to this madness in sight. We are in danger of losing talented, hard-working people because of burnout and low compensation.

Advice to Management

Reward your people for their work. Pay them according to industry standards and for the increased workload. What you're doing isn't fair to your employees and is making you seem like you don't care about the well-being of anyone who works for you. We are exhausted.

"Key Account Manager of a Beverage Distributor"

Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Key Account Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- car for personal use and work, saves a lot of money for most folks
    - the insurance is good, lots of helplines to assist health needs, very progressive in a good way
    - you do get a annual bonus which is great
    - tuition reimbursement and great 401k package
    - the people are great(most of the time) in terms of FIELD trade marketing

Cons

Here is the issue, and it's no secret (as you can see from
    Recent reviews) the workload out of control, especially for TM's which are now exploited.

The company has reached the point of the notorious "pay not equaling workload." You can load the field up with tasks.... but you HAVE to raise pay... it's not hard to understand.

If you are young.. this company is at best a <5 year type setup.. while seasoned folks like myself are waiting on a buyout.

Advice to Management

For god sake..be realistic with field expectations...morale is the lowest I've seen in over 10 years. WAKE UP.

****If this is a "high performing culture" you need to pay like it is*****

"Frivolous"

Former Employee - Senior Key Account Manager in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Key Account Manager in El Paso, TX

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great, I worked with some insightful people over the years and managed some great talent... also the stock has performed well historically and benefits are good like others have mentioned.

Cons

This job itself (especially TM level) might be the most frivolous job I have ever had... and this company has jobs.. not careers.

Lately it's just overloading the field with mundane launches and pointless changes... where both field employees and customers both rolls their eyes.... really just a pointless job frankly, glad to be leaving for greener pastures...

Advice to Management

Lots of folks leaving, and it's easy to see why from these reviews... guess I am not the only one. The field doesn't mind the influx of work... but please make salary coincide with the bold changes/workload.