Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated December 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • RAI offers benefits such as work from home to suport work/life balance (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is still a little rough however they are making strides to help with this (in 29 reviews)

• Nothing except the fact it's in the tobacco industry (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Clear vision and strategy. Great culture. Competitive compensation and benefits. Strong commitment to employee learning and development. Challenging work.

Cons

The pace of change is constant. Some may be challenged by that. Others will thrive.

2. "GOOD"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

too many to mention at the moment

Cons

non that i can think of

"Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company clearly values you as a employee, and wants you to drive the business. Fair compensation on all fronts

Cons

Reviews for job performance are clearly subjective to the reviewer. Customers unwillingness to complete required task will be a negative impact on your performance.

Advice to Management

monthly reviews should have secondary reviews from the local level. To ensure fairness.

"TMI"

Current Employee - Territory Manager I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager I in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training was a good experience

Health benefits

Car package

Total tobacco vision

Fair reputation at retail

Coworkers are nice

Brands are ok

Cons

Pay doesn't equal workload

CE's are a horrible thing for TM's to experience

Not a clear vision- shoving products to market

No clear priority

You get literally 1 path to promotion

Limited promotions (takes years usually)

Have to be mobile at blink of an eye

"Rating" system is a gossip fest behind closed doors

Advice to Management

You will not retain or hire younger candidates with the current situation

"Entry Level Snack Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Standard large company pros like 401k,car setup,internet and phone, health benefits (above average I would say)

The workshops are educational and run smoothly. Home office with latest remodel is above par also.

Cons

RAI was riding high a few years back with a great culture and more of a consultive type approach with c store sales has now turned into a typical snack company with endless launches and contractual elements. Retailers have lost a lot of respect in my experiences over the last 2 years.

The rating process is something I will never understand... you are subjected to only your boss going into a room filled with other managers and they decide who the best candidate is off of things like spreadsheets,working with other people etc. instead of sales numbers? And what if you boss doesn't like you? It's very odd.

Pay has already been talked enough on here, not going to beat a dead horse.

I will be retiring in less than a year... feel bad for people who are "stuck".

Advice to Management

None,For some reason, the company has drastically changed... its to the point of it having to be planned.

"Backlash"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My region used to posses great managers, but most of them now have either retired or left, or headed to the Beach to get away from the ludicrous stress levels.

The pay is ok for a very rural scenario. Employees can opt into a 401k plan and the company will match it up to a certain amount.

The car program is fantastic for field employees with a 150 a month flat fee.

Cons

The field has had enough of being taken advantage of. The new company direction has really upset a lot of the field.... with being overwork and very very underpaid and stagnant over the past few years.

If you break the CEO's salary down with total benefits, 1 person makes as much as the entire sales field across the United States.

People are tired of lousy launches, minimal movement tracks, micromanaging like a candy company, and less than par new hires.

Advice to Management

Please change the workload or pay more. Also, stop shoving crap down on field and wanting it done yesterday.

"Regressing"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Manageable workload in the past, great benefits and car allowance which really comes in handy, even your spouse can utilize this perk or "domestic partner" in my case.

Good place for women, treated very equally.

Cons

CE's (consumer engagements) have taken over in my sales area especially... very very stressful, company is more driven now toward quantitative.. yet doesn't pay quotas? Very strange.

The company is now more of a kraft foods type company, more of a traditional CPG type vendor evolution.

Advice to Management

The best "transformation" story is this company over the past 2 years.

"Time To Go"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I had the great experience of working for 2 great managers early in my career, had a lot of fun.

Benefits are top notch.

Cons

Leaving now, due to extreme overwork and micromanagement, after 5 years it's like the company has gotten worse each year.

I do not recommend this company to join now due to the overwhelming "stuff"... its way too overcomplicated and reps secretly laugh about it at this point in time.

I have found lots of talent leave to mobility,limited track, & lack of pay. The worker ants have had enough and turnover seems to be high.

"The Grass Really is Greener"

Former Employee - TMII in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - TMII in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Two scenarios where this is a great gig-
    A. You are extremely rural and don't want to move somewhere else, this is the ideal job and the pay would be decent for a small town environment.
    B. You are right of college and need "experience" etc. as most people see applying for outside sales jobs, this is your 1-2 years with a big company... and a great bullet point.

Cons

Recently, the company is very hot & heavy on brand launches and dumping endless initiatives on the field, yet continue to pay the same and promotions are minimal at best and you have to sell your life away for a mediocre salary.

*If you live in any type of metro area you can do better with pay,upward mobility,and save yourself a lot of stress, how do I know? Because I did it last month.

Advice to Management

Yikes! The last 2 years are so bad it's almost like upper management is trying to increase turnover. No advice.

"Territory Manager"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexibility hours and company car. Great vacation and sick time, 401k match. Medical and dental Benefits are decent but have reduced.

Cons

Reymolds American is the perfect place to be employed if you wanted to be over-worked, underpaid and under-valued. The work load has increased greatly with acquisitions and mergers with no pay increase. There’s much more responsibility and no support or care from leadership. Reynolds American used to be a company that cares for its employees and now it solely cares for quantitative results.

Promotions are extremely hard to achieve and is contingent upon the quality of your Division Manager, peer feedback and being a part of the “good boys” club in addition to your work. The company and the promotion process isn’t transparent and is very inconsistent. There’s no true checks and balances to ensure you get properly rewarded for your efforts.

Advice to Management

To just say your value your employees is NOT enough. The work load is ridiculous and the carelessness from home office is evident. Please take strides to improve the culture and work environment for your employees that work very hard to make this company great.