Reynolds American Reviews | Glassdoor

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated March 15, 2017

Pros
  • Team spirit with good work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Great benefits -- company car, paid vacation (Currently 5 weeks for me (in 71 reviews)

"TM 3"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Haven, MI
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Haven, MI

I worked at Reynolds American (More than 8 years)

Pros

left alone to do your job most of the time, good pay and benefits. Ancillary benefits are pretty good too, they pay for cell phone, home internet and provide a nice company car.

Cons

management is mostly at a loss, they cant think on their own. a lot of dumb, time wasting projects that do not result at any sales increases only serve to justify that someone that isn't in the field is trying to do their job.

2. "Not so bad..."

Former Contractor - Research Associate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Contractor - Research Associate in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Reynolds American as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay was really awesome and they compensated for cost of living almost every year, so the pay stayed awesome in comparison to other companies.

Cons

In contrast, they were able to afford paying such a high hourly rate because they refused in certain departments to take on any type of permanent employment, keeping everyone as a contact employee, therefore not having to offer anyone any type of benefits.

Advice to Management

Despite either of the pros or cons listed above, management always seemed to relate and interact with the employees at every level, maintaining seemingly personal relationships with them all, which goes a long way in day-to-day job satisfaction. Please remember this and don't forget where you came from.

"Sales role turned direct marketing"

Pros

A lot of autonomy, company car. If you do your job well enough to your boss' liking they will leave you alone but if you don't you will be micromanaged to the point of wanting to quit.

Cons

They have completely changed the role of this job and now are using it's sales force to be direct marketers by standing in stores and asking competitive smokers to try our brand.

Advice to Management

Transparency and being more up front about the goals would make things much easier. Stop making goals and then telling everyone that hitting the goals is not good enough and that you are expected to go well above them just go get your average bonus

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager III in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III in San Jose, CA

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Non-micro managed position, Complete training about the brand and product initiatives. Overall easy job to manage on the daily basis

Cons

Upward mobility is limited because of the older guys at the top of the ladder holding upper level positions. In order to get promoted you must be willing to "brown nose" a little bit and "play the game." Salary could also be a bit higher in comparison to other similar positions in the industry

Advice to Management

Compensate entry level positions fairly to limit turnover. Make advancement to upper level positions attainable within the first two-three years, otherwise the job is a burnout

"More work Same money"

Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Albany, NY

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Car, free gas, good vacation.

Cons

With this acquisition, we are doing twice the work for the same amount of pay.

Advice to Management

Try using positive reinforcement once in a while. You focus on the negative then repeat yourself 100000 times. Always looking for something wrong. I recently got scolded because a sign was crooked. My Advice to management is to SETTLE DOWN, we are out here on the front line, taking a beating from this recent acquisition. The last thing we need is you yelling at us for something that is out of our hands.

"Administrative Coordinator"

Pros

Great place to work, Great wellness program, onsite clinic (free of charge to employee), work out facility

Cons

The organization is a flat one - hard to move up

8. "Account Manager"

I worked at Reynolds American full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues, compensation, sharing of best practices

Cons

Work-life balance, upper management, industry

Advice to Management

AVPs and up: 1) Better alignment of expectations with reality. 2) Be more supportive of regional management; allow them to coach oppose to you interfering. 3) Be mindful of your audience as your words can at times be perceived as being condescending.

9. "RJ employee"

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

Pros

Great benefits and vacation packages.

Cons

Full week is on 37.5 hours

10. "too much politicis"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great pay, amazing benefits, biggest 401k ive ever heard of (give 3 match 6 for a total of 9). free car, insurance, and gas make the job easy, flexible, very worth it.

Cons

Promotion process is really bad. The company politics are just brutal! There should be a much less subjective way to decide on promotions from positions. Most life time TMs have given up hope and are doing just enough not to get yelled at.

11. "good experience"

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and benefits.

Cons

Promotion process can be quite political and bias.